hulika

Author Topic: Steely Dan Tour 2006  (Read 4748 times)

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Steely Dan Tour 2006
« on: June 11, 2006, 05:22:16 PM »
Man I wish I could see this....

STEELY DAN ANNOUNCE SUMMER U.S. TOUR WITH MICHAEL MCDONALD
32-Date Tour to Kick Off July 7 In Milwaukee

Legendary jazz-rock icons Walter Becker and Donald Fagen reunite with a band mate from the '70s when Steely Dan shares the bill with Michael McDonald and his band for their 32-city Steelyard "Sugartooth" McDan and The Fab-Originees.com Tour this summer.

Opening in Milwaukee on July 7, the tour hits major U.S. markets including Los Angeles, New York, Seattle, Dallas, Denver, and Phoenix before closing in Detroit on September 2nd. Tickets for the tour, which is promoted by Live Nation, will go on sale through Ticketmaster starting May 5th.

Concertgoers can expect a hefty draft of the inimitable Steely Dan sonic experience this summer. Supported by a crack 10-piece band — including Keith Carlock on drums, Freddy Washington on bass, and Jon Herington on guitar — Becker and Fagen will showcase selections from Steely Dan’s extraordinary three-decade plus catalog of slinky grooves, sleek subversive lyrics, and infectious hits. Set lists may also sample from Fagen’s recently released “Morph The Cat” and Becker’s upcoming release, due later this year.  A few surprises may be in store as well.

Visit www.steelydan.com for up-to-the minute tour news, information, and on-sale dates.

STEELY DAN helped define the soundtrack of the '70s with hits such as Reelin’ in the Years, Rikki Don't Lose That Number, Deacon Blues, Peg, Babylon Sisters, and Hey Nineteen, culled from their seven platinum albums issued between 1972 and 1980 (including 1977's groundbreaking “Aja”). They reunited in the early '90s and toured throughout the decade, releasing multi-Grammy winner “Two Against Nature” in 2000 and its acclaimed follow-up “Everything Must Go” in 2003. They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2001.

Five-time Grammy winner MICHAEL MCDONALD’S distinctively soulful voice first emerged in the 1970’s as a vocalist in Steely Dan. He then joined the Doobie Brothers in 1975 and in the years that followed, McDonald and the Doobie Brothers enjoyed tremendous commercial and creative success.  Their sound evolved from guitar-driven rock to a sultry, tight R&B feel, with McDonald writing  and singing lead on  their signature hits Takin' It to the Streets, What a Fool Believes,  and  Minute by Minute.  As a solo artist, McDonald charted with I Keep Forgettin', Sweet Freedom, Yah Mo B There (with James Ingram), and On My Own (with Patti LaBelle), among others.  In the last four years, Michael has released four records all of which have achieved platinum or gold certifications, including his interpretations of Motown classics on his appropriately titled "Motown" and "Motown II" albums.[/img]

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
Steely Dan Tour 2006
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 08:17:22 PM »
for sure there may be a dvd.

mike mcdonald is back, at least maybe he will get to sing lead into some
classic steely dan songs as well as his own songs...  

seems the last steely dan video had donald fagen performing below par
vocal wise, anyway there were at least three hot backup singers to compliment donald fagen.  all i can say is great sound, well recorded.

.... reel in those years 'dudes....
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
Steely Dan Tour 2006
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 12:37:24 AM »
kala ko naman dadaan dito sa pinas! :shock:

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
Steely Dan Tour 2006
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 06:15:57 PM »
i might try to catch them in dallas or in houston next month. sayang e. two-in-one. idol ko lahat yan...
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Steely Dan Tour 2006
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 06:27:12 PM »
Quote from: Boddhisattva
i might try to catch them in dallas or in houston next month. sayang e. two-in-one. idol ko lahat yan...

Didn't McDonald sing vocal harmonies on the original "Peg" from Aja? Maybe he'll be jamming with the two against nature onstage...

Offline leohammondb3

• Netizen Level
Steely Dan Tour 2006
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 02:41:30 PM »
Sayang di pupunta sa Pinas... Hintayin ko na lang DVD. Hayup horn section nun.

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
Steely Dan Tour 2006
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 08:57:18 AM »
I was able to catch this concert in Nokia Theatre in Grand Prairie in Dallas.
In the ticket the concert was titled "Sugartooth McDan".

Mike MacD was first for 45 minutes summarizing his music career starting with It Keeps You Running, then putting up a Motown show at the middle and finally ending with the best of his Doobie hits with What A fool, Minute by Minute and ending with Takin' It to the Streets.

After him the crew started to take all setups apart, and put in new setup for Steely Dan.

SD started with Boddhisattva, then Aja and played for one hour with their top and non-top hits (Dirty Work, I've Got the News, Time Out of Mind...). They called in Mike M to sing with them (started with Peg) and they did for the last 6 songs.

I terribly missed Bad Sneakers where Mike M's voice was so prominent. I also thought they would play Pretzel Logic because Mike M. sang this in Rock and Soul review.

Donald's voice is faltering but Mike's is still solid. The guitarist had difficulty with Kid Charlemagne but aced Old School (maybe because he was from Nashville Tennessee). Chuck Rainey was in the audience.

Great show. The 6,500 capacity theatre was full to the rafters. Front seats cost $150.

Offline powerfulpeople

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Steely Dan Tour 2006
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 09:21:52 AM »
I saw them in Houston 6 days ago.  They were both great.  Pretty much the same as Bodhisattva said, except I think both acts played a longer amount of time, and the first tune they opened with when McDonald came back at the Houston concert was Show Biz Kids.

Offline powerfulpeople

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Steely Dan Tour 2006
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 09:23:06 AM »
and it was really cool that Chuck Rainey was in attendance at the Dallas show.

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
Steely Dan Tour 2006
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 08:03:41 AM »
Steely Dan demands apology from Owen Wilson - Say actor-writer ripped off idea for Dupree character from band’s song

Here's the letter to Luke Wilson on SD's website.

http://www.steelydan.com/heyluke.html

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
Steely Dan Tour 2006
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 04:24:43 PM »
Sarap ng tugtugan ng Steely Dan!

Ang gara din mag-drums ni Keith Carlock.  To all drummers out there, please do check this guy out.  He has a great touch, at super sarap ang feel and groove niya.  He has this New Orleans-style swagger.  He also has an unorthodox drum set-up.  His rack toms are mounted dead-flat, and his floor toms face away from him.

Keith Carlock did a great job on Steely Dan's Two Against Nature and Everything Must Go albums.

http://www.keithcarlock.com/

8)

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Steely Dan Tour 2006
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 05:38:12 AM »
Quote from: drumster

Keith Carlock did a great job on Steely Dan's Two Against Nature and Everything Must Go albums.[/color]

http://www.keithcarlock.com/

8)

Drumster, I thought it was Ricky Lawson (ex-Yellowjackets) on drums in Two Against Nature. Lawson is also the guy on drums in the DVD concert videos.

Keith Carlock is credited with playing "snare drum" --- sounds like they just sampled him playing snare and looped him :)

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Against_Nature

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
Steely Dan Tour 2006
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 05:46:08 AM »
I had the Keith Carlock issue of Modern Drummer magazine (August 2003), and recording credits on Steely Dan's Two Against Nature were noted under his name.  

I haven't had the chance to see that album's sleeve or dig deep into its recording info.  I guess both Lawson and Carlock played in the album.

Thanks for the info and for the link.

8)

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Steely Dan Tour 2006
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 12:19:55 PM »
Quote from: drumster

I haven't had the chance to see that album's sleeve or dig deep into its recording info.  I guess both Lawson and Carlock played in the album.

They used a number of drummers, but it looks like they only sampled them. Even Vinnie Colaiuta  is credited with "snare".  From what I've read, a lot of the drum parts are loops and edits, even if they sound completely natural (well to me anyway). I guess Becker and Fagen learned Protools and had a grand time cutting and pasting like the control freaks that they are. :)

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
Steely Dan Tour 2006
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 02:20:50 PM »
That's interesting.  Because I read this recent Donald Fagen interview, and he mentioned that they are not so fond of using click tracks.  In fact, they didn't use it at all back in the day.  Mukhang nawili nga sila sa ProTools.  No wonder, mas pulido yung mga songs nila sa new albums.   :D

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
The Steely Dan Taxicab
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2006, 01:32:13 PM »
The owner of this taxi must be a Dan fan... or he spelled "AHA" wrong!!

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
Steely Dan Tour 2006
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 04:05:49 AM »
Hahaha!  It must be the operator's initials (check the operator's name under AJA).  But that would be impressive if the owner's a Steely Dan fan.  He must have good taste!   :P

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
Steely Dan Tour 2006
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2006, 09:17:21 AM »
yup, pinoy musika, Michael M did play second keyboards (organ and ordinary piano for SD in the aja album.  You could hear his signature voice in Peg.

In HEY NINETEEN, remember the coda, "The Cuervo Gold, the fine Columbian...." unmistakeably Michael's vox and harmony.  Always loved that part.