hulika

Author Topic: Max Rufo Pickups Thread  (Read 65317 times)

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Max Rufo Pickups Thread
« Reply #175 on: August 20, 2010, 10:01:30 PM »
guys relax its just opinion from firemodels side dont take it too seriously..he hasnt even tested it yet..

this maybe a stretch but do you think max would lend his guitar with those pickup installed? and in firemodels side just test it AS IT IS and review it AS IT IS..then make another review of how it compares to other stuff out there..

Probably, we have to get a Suhr the exact model he uses (not necessarily owns), remove the pickups and install Mang Max's, then maybe that can be a review very close enough to AS IT IS.

Give him a standard Mexican Tele with the Rufo pickups, and I have a hunch there won't be an objective review.
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #176 on: August 20, 2010, 10:27:22 PM »
I don't like the Fender fat 60s.  They are muddy and have harsh highs.  

Probably if we mentioned that the pickups purchased is WCR, Lollar, DeTemple, Bare Knuckles, there would be a different statement.

So anong gusto mo sabihin ko kung alam mo ang patutunguhan ko?

Darating ang tamang panahon masasagot yang tanong na yan.

Na kasing ganda ng Fender Fat 60s ang pickup ni Mang Max at kasing tahimik ng Kinmans?  That remains to be heard.
Ditto.

Ok lang naman if you cannot afford the expensive gear that sounds great

Yeah it's really ok, because there are affordable gear that sounds great, and can be equal to the boutique products that you are a strong advocate of. That is why we try to promote affordable gear. Kasi nga yan ang kayang bilhin namin.

pero huwag naman i-angat ang mga panget as equal to the good sounding ones

I don't think anyone did or does that here. Pag pangit ang gamit, you can be sure maraming nagsasabi na ganun. The thing is ikaw lang kasi ang laging may negative opinions about standard gear that people are much happy with. Masaya na sila sa ganun, respetuhin mo na lang. Sabihin na natin na you are an authority on gear and tone and most are not. Maooffend talaga sila sa opinions mo kasi nga you are trying to give them a hint na you are not respecting their choices. What happens is that you defend your side too much without giving credit to the other. Talagang on the bat, sinasabi mo na "I tried that gear pangit talaga". Pakunswelo di [grape] sana is "you can sell that gear for another alternative product na ganiyan din ang presiyo." Ang siste, you will say "my boutique gear has all the virtues I am looking for."
Sa tingin mo may matutuwa?
Walang pinagkaiba yan sa skuwelahang pinasok ng bata. Porke ba graduate ng FEATI hindi na puwedeng makipagsabayan sa graduate ng HARVARD? Just because the FEATI graduate cannot afford to go to HARVARD e inferior student na siya? You are making them feel inferior kasi. At least you could have said something like "I like my products better but then again if your products makes you feel good about it then by all means you made the right choice."

---  I am not yet saying that Mang Max pickups are panget.
Hintayin na lang natin ang sagot mo pag nasubukan mo na, til then, wait and see na lang kami.
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #177 on: August 20, 2010, 10:49:43 PM »
Probably, we have to get a Suhr the exact model he uses (not necessarily owns), remove the pickups and install Mang Max's, then maybe that can be a review very close enough to AS IT IS.

well were not going on how this pickup matches with his suhr..we are going for is this pickup good/decent for it price point

Give him a standard Mexican Tele with the Rufo pickups, and I have a hunch there won't be an objective review.

like mention to him before...having perception doesnt help in an objective review..those guys in the global warming peer review is a good example how it can ruin one's career..

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #178 on: August 20, 2010, 11:04:19 PM »
Probably if we mentioned that the pickups purchased is WCR, Lollar, DeTemple, Bare Knuckles, there would be a different statement.

(Lollars I don't like and I have exchanged my Bare Knuckle Single Coils for Don Mares but have remained on Bare Knuckles for humbuckers.  And I still don't like Fender Pickups even after all these years.)

Ditto.

(Agree)

Yeah it's really ok, because there are affordable gear that sounds great, and can be equal to the boutique products that you are a strong advocate of. That is why we try to promote affordable gear. Kasi nga yan ang kayang bilhin namin.

(When I check my gear now or what remains to be kept, I hardly call it affordable with what I have.  There maybe an overlap with some affordable and some boutique stuff, but the higher end boutique stuff have magic and character that the best affordable doesn't have.  This is my opinion.)  

I don't think anyone did or does that here. Pag pangit ang gamit, you can be sure maraming nagsasabi na ganun. The thing is ikaw lang kasi ang laging may negative opinions about standard gear that people are much happy with. Masaya na sila sa ganun, respetuhin mo na lang. Sabihin na natin na you are an authority on gear and tone and most are not. Maooffend talaga sila sa opinions mo kasi nga you are trying to give them a hint na you are not respecting their choices. What happens is that you defend your side too much without giving credit to the other. Talagang on the bat, sinasabi mo na "I tried that gear pangit talaga". Pakunswelo di [grape] sana is "you can sell that gear for another alternative product na ganiyan din ang presiyo." Ang siste, you will say "my boutique gear has all the virtues I am looking for."

(Would you rather I lie and pretend to be cute with other people here?  With all due respect and no offense, I think standards have to go up.  Just because I criticize -- sometimes rather harshly at that -- it does not mean I do not have concern over what will benefit people in the long run.  P.S. I have not criticized Mang Max's pickups yet but I will be clear that I will not spend and take a risk on them because of reasons cited previously.
)
Walang pinagkaiba yan sa skuwelahang pinasok ng bata. Porke ba graduate ng FEATI hindi na puwedeng makipagsabayan sa graduate ng HARVARD? Just because the FEATI graduate cannot afford to go to HARVARD e inferior student na siya? You are making them feel inferior kasi. At least you could have said something like "I like my products better but then again if your products makes you feel good about it then by all means you made the right choice."

(This is the exact thing I am avoiding.  Feel good and sweep it under the rug.  Walang nangyayaring improvement sa Feel Good -- in fact there is so much feel good and less objectivity with Filipino products thats we rarely acheive world class status with them -- kaya tayo tinatalo ng Chinese. Which would you rather have as a leader, the best of HARVARD or the best of FEATI?)

Hintayin na lang natin ang sagot mo pag nasubukan mo na, til then, wait and see na lang kami.

(Sumubok rin kayo ng Kinmans to check out something truly world class.  Baka kaya naman ni Mang Max but since nobody will supply a sample I will just wait for it USED in the classifieds.)

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #179 on: August 20, 2010, 11:08:04 PM »
I will just wait for it USED in the classifieds

i didnt know you shop there..

Offline region III

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #180 on: August 20, 2010, 11:38:19 PM »
well were not going on how this pickup matches with his suhr..we are going for is this pickup good/decent for it price point

this^

another problem is that he's got the best sounding suhr guitar in the world. try to beat that. :-D

anyway, i really don't take firemodels55's claims seriously. having top of the line equipment does not necessarily make you an authority over something. it's just fun to read a few of his comments on various subjects.

back to topic... i hope mang max's picups will live up to my expectations. been wanting to use good sounding locally made pickups :-). is he gonna brand them? export them if they're really good?

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #181 on: August 20, 2010, 11:43:39 PM »

(Lollars I don't like and I have exchanged my Bare Knuckle Single Coils for Don Mares but have remained on Bare Knuckles for humbuckers.  And I still don't like Fender Pickups even after all these years.)

Ditto.

(Agree)

(When I check my gear now or what remains to be kept, I hardly call it affordable with what I have.  There maybe an overlap with some affordable and some boutique stuff, but the higher end boutique stuff have magic and character that the best affordable doesn't have.  This is my opinion.)

Nakita mo na Alex? You are simply affirming what is everyone's view against you.

(Would you rather I lie and pretend to be cute with other people here?  With all due respect and no offense, I think standards have to go up.  Just because I criticize -- sometimes rather harshly at that -- it does not mean I do not have concern over what will benefit people in the long run.  P.S. I have not criticized Mang Max's pickups yet but I will be clear that I will not spend and take a risk on them because of reasons cited previously.
)

Agree, you are not yet giving an opinion about Mang Max's pickups yet pero inunahan mo agad na "what pickups have you owned in your lifetime" or something like that? Diba you are already being skeptical in a negative way? Kasi you also have to be aware how would people react. A person can be correct but he is still not in the right. If you addressed your skepticism in a more gentle way, magkakaroon ka pa ng credibility rito. But if you come as too strong and snobbish, wala. It's all about being a gentleman my friend.

(This is the exact thing I am avoiding.  Feel good and sweep it under the rug.  Walang nangyayaring improvement sa Feel Good -- in fact there is so much feel good and less objectivity with Filipino products thats we rarely acheive world class status with them -- kaya tayo tinatalo ng Chinese. Which would you rather have as a leader, the best of HARVARD or the best of FEATI?)

You still don't get it right? It's not feel good, it's RESPECT. R E S P E C T find out what it means to me. R E S P E C T, takin' care of T C B. To answer your question "which would you have as a leader, the best of Harvard or the best of FEATI?" - my answer is - the best man for the job. I don't care if he is a Feati or a Harvard graduate. Nasa tao yun wala sa iskuwela. You don't need just education to be a leader, you need character. To put it in a guitar context - naka Suhr na guitar ka with Kinmans on a reference audio 24karat gold cable to a Klon Centaur overdrive to another reference audio 24 karat gold cable to a Diezel amp or a Dumble amp. But if your guitar playing stinks, did you give justice to your gear? Likewise, Joe Perry and Brad Whitford back in the day just plugged their stock guitars on stock Fenders or Marshalls with probably simple fuzz pedals and wah and they made beautiful music for more than 30 years. They did give justice to their gear.

(Sumubok rin kayo ng Kinmans to check out something truly world class.  Baka kaya naman ni Mang Max but since nobody will supply a sample I will just wait for it USED in the classifieds.)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 01:09:58 AM by burnsbhm »

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2010, 12:38:27 AM »
this^

another problem is that he's got the best sounding suhr guitar in the world. try to beat that. :-D

anyway, i really don't take firemodels55's claims seriously. having top of the line equipment does not necessarily make you an authority over something. it's just fun to read a few of his comments on various subjects.

back to topic... i hope mang max's picups will live up to my expectations. been wanting to use good sounding locally made pickups :-). is he gonna brand them? export them if they're really good?

I have never transacted with Mang Max, pero I always support Pinoys who have these kinds of undertaking. I really hope those pickups deliver the goods. And base on all the good ratings I have read about him repairing guitars and others, I'm sure he will make good pickups too.
Who knows? Baka sooner or later Mang Max might just be the guy who will make it in the international market.
I guess magawa natin is to support him, encourage him. And let's say the prototypes are not good, encourage him to improve and address the faults. That's the reason Leo Fender became so successful - he listens to clients.

Offline lindtaylor

• Veteran Member
« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2010, 01:11:22 AM »
I respectfully agree with you and your objectives AND at the same time beyond promotion, the product has to deliver versus the best out there unless you are trying to produce a mediocre pickup thats cheap.  And thats why on my part I also asked what pickups you have previously owned to establish a baseline.  Its easy for anybody to review but its really hard to determine if the reviewer has good ears.

This is the exact thing I am avoiding.  Feel good and sweep it under the rug.  Walang nangyayaring improvement sa Feel Good -- in fact there is so much feel good and less objectivity with Filipino products thats we rarely acheive world class status with them -- kaya tayo tinatalo ng Chinese. Which would you rather have as a leader, the best of HARVARD or the best of FEATI?

With due respect, sir firemodel55..

I know that you have the capacity to buy those botique products. But frivers just shared his experience with the said pick-ups.
then you have attacked him with "what pickups you owned for life?".

Hindi pwedeng kung ang gusto mong brief ay Handford at ang ginagamit nya ay Jockey
Yung Handford na rin ang ipipilit mo. Kasi mas comfi to eh.. etc.. etc.. Eh sa yun yung gusto niya eh..
Yun yung fit sa kanya eh..

"To each his own.." - one has a right to one's personal preference

Hindi lahat ng nasa GC afford yung Kinman pups (which is $226.00)

Enjoy your botique stuff and let us enjoy our own. :-)

And besides we create our own music, and we are not playing for your standard. (Which is so High)

Sabi nga ni burnsbhm find out what it means for Respect.. And that's the bottomline..
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 01:28:54 AM by lindtaylor »

Offline lindtaylor

• Veteran Member
« Reply #184 on: August 21, 2010, 01:22:20 AM »
to quote sir jimiisipbata:

Are you a famous rockstar or an artist para padalhan ng sample pickups from Mang Max?

"Kung gusto may paraan, Kung Ayaw sang katutak ang dahilan..."

Just drop by at his place.. Mang Max Rufo is humble enough to accept your critic.

for you sir firemodel55:

Offline lindtaylor

• Veteran Member
« Reply #185 on: August 21, 2010, 01:27:14 AM »
for sir firemodel55:

Mang Max's Contact info:
Smart: 09204658200
Globe: 09063189256

« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 01:30:30 AM by lindtaylor »

Offline gonewild

• Netizen Level
« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2010, 03:48:05 AM »
Hello mga sir,
My name is Melo Eribal, I'm a bassplayer, and I'm a Max Rufo pickup endorser.
I've been reading this topic from page 1 till the end and to be honest "sobrang naguluhan ako sa dami ng bangayan".
Just to lighten up the topic, I am willing to answer any questions regarding Max Rufo Pickups...well sa abot ng aking makakaya ha. Hehe baka kase awayin ako pag hindi ako nasagot.
Kung iisa-isahin ko sagutin yung mga questions from page 1 baka ma-bored kayo basahin yung reply ko, so let's just start from here...ok?

...and please don't ask if what pickups have I tested in my life... Hahaha

Maraming salamat pala sa nag open ng topic about Max Rufo Pickups...
...and sa mga taong naniniwala ka Sir Max Rufo, Maraming-maraming salamat po sa inyo.

GOD SPEED!!!

Melo Eribal
Bassplayer / Max Rufo Pickup endorser

If you want to earn respect then learn to respect first.

Offline skrumian

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2010, 04:07:25 AM »
Hello mga sir,
My name is Melo Eribal, I'm a bassplayer, and I'm a Max Rufo pickup endorser.
I've been reading this topic from page 1 till the end and to be honest "sobrang naguluhan ako sa dami ng bangayan".
Just to lighten up the topic, I am willing to answer any questions regarding Max Rufo Pickups...well sa abot ng aking makakaya ha. Hehe baka kase awayin ako pag hindi ako nasagot.
Kung iisa-isahin ko sagutin yung mga questions from page 1 baka ma-bored kayo basahin yung reply ko, so let's just start from here...ok?

...and please don't ask if what pickups have I tested in my life... Hahaha

Maraming salamat pala sa nag open ng topic about Max Rufo Pickups...
...and sa mga taong naniniwala ka Sir Max Rufo, Maraming-maraming salamat po sa inyo.

GOD SPEED!!!

Melo Eribal
Bassplayer / Max Rufo Pickup endorser

If you want to earn respect then learn to respect first.

since you're an endorser, any soundclips using the Max Rufo pups? thanks.
Looking for second hand but still in good condition books:
1) The Complete MBA for Dummies; and 2) The Ten Day MBA
PM me!

Offline mikomiko

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2010, 04:15:10 AM »
Cool Guys
Alex has a good point in a way,,,,

per para naman tayong bago sa mga opinion ni alex
SKA UP YER LIFE RUDY!!!

Offline shkc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2010, 04:16:59 AM »
Just want to share a story on EVH's career

One time long before they became famous...they are still fronting for Ted Nugent and Ted was totally blown away by Ed'a awesome tone... Ted was asking himself what kind of gear does EVH use?...we all know how EVH just "strapped" together his first guitars...and how he bought those cheap stomps and modded it...during one of their shows, Ted secretely plugged in into EVH's setup and to his surprise..it still sounded like him...

what i'm trying to say is...no matter what kind of gear you have ...you will still sound the same...

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2010, 05:31:35 AM »
Just want to share a story on EVH's career

One time long before they became famous...they are still fronting for Ted Nugent and Ted was totally blown away by Ed'a awesome tone... Ted was asking himself what kind of gear does EVH use?...we all know how EVH just "strapped" together his first guitars...and how he bought those cheap stomps and modded it...during one of their shows, Ted secretely plugged in into EVH's setup and to his surprise..it still sounded like him...

what i'm trying to say is...no matter what kind of gear you have ...you will still sound the same...

Diba? Tone is in both in the hands and equipment.

Offline mikomiko

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #191 on: August 21, 2010, 07:46:52 AM »
ill be at Max's place tomo really interested in aquireing a strat set pup
SKA UP YER LIFE RUDY!!!

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2010, 08:51:07 AM »
ill be at Max's place tomo really interested in aquireing a strat set pup

pm sa price ha

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2010, 09:06:36 AM »
pm sa price ha

+1. I'd like to know as well.

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2010, 10:44:54 AM »
Diba? Tone is in both in the hands and equipment.

I agree with you bro. Our friend surely have the latter but many are unsure pertaining the former unless proven otherwise.

Well, an endorser Melo has introduced himself. Anyone may start asking questions instead of spending to much time with our friend. I know gonewild will not get wild :wink:

@gonewild give my regards to Max..

Offline Mardk

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #195 on: August 21, 2010, 11:43:57 AM »
This is not about the "tone is in the hands". This is about the "why does anyone have to send him a set anyway?".

Back to topic.
May vintage sounding single coils ba si Mr. Rufo?

Offline jimy james

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #196 on: August 21, 2010, 12:20:51 PM »

With due respect, sir firemodel55..

I know that you have the capacity to buy those botique products. But frivers just shared his experience with the said pick-ups.
then you have attacked him with "what pickups you owned for life?".

Hindi pwedeng kung ang gusto mong brief ay Handford at ang ginagamit nya ay Jockey
Yung Handford na rin ang ipipilit mo. Kasi mas comfi to eh.. etc.. etc.. Eh sa yun yung gusto niya eh..

Sabi nga ni burnsbhm find out what it means for Respect.. And that's the bottomline..

_____________________________________________________________________ _____

eto mga samples chong. kung saan maligaya kargada mo, dun ka  :-D

eto sakin...

eto naman "boutique" :-D

eto pang single coil...

eto pang Humbuckers...

eto naman, pang "infinite sustain"... sabay tingin sa taas... :-D :lol: :lol: :lol:

find out what it means for Respect.. And that's the bottomline..

Offline juwanfidle09

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #197 on: August 21, 2010, 12:58:22 PM »
@firemodel55 - bakit ka nagdedemand na padalhan ka ng pickups?

OT: i've been observing your posts here firemodel55, (ngayon lang ako sinipag magreply), ang napansin ko lang NEVER akong nakarinig ng demonstration ng gamit mo sa setup mo. Para sa akin lang, ang labo kasi e, di satisfactory kapag puro written review lang ang meron. (no bashing intended)

H4cks4w

« Reply #198 on: August 21, 2010, 01:34:08 PM »
^^
+1

thats right, sir firemodel why dont you send us a demo of your setup since your so very proud of it, please educate us  :-D para magkaroon naman kami ng basis or idea which is a good sounding tone, then we will compare it to mang max's pickup kung good sounding nga ba   :wink:

:-D :-D

« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 01:35:19 PM by H4cks4w »

Offline st_anger

« Reply #199 on: August 21, 2010, 01:49:04 PM »
^^
+1

thats right, sir firemodel why dont you send us a demo of your setup since your so very proud of it, please educate us  :-D para magkaroon naman kami ng basis or idea which is a good sounding tone, then we will compare it to mang max's pickup kung good sounding nga ba   :wink:

:-D :-D

exactly..........................