hulika

Author Topic: Sound proofing  (Read 8614 times)

Offline fingertapper1

• Forum Fanatic
Sound proofing
« on: June 13, 2005, 12:27:49 PM »
mga dudes... what is the cheapest way of sound proofing a room???

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sound proofing
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 05:12:10 PM »
floor and ceiling must be concrete. use concrete hollow blocks for walls. no windows. door must be solid core and airtight.
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sound proofing
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 05:42:19 PM »
if you have those mentioned by Tarkuz then egg cartons are the cheapest and thick curtains will definitely help.Blankets hanged on the walls could do the trick as well. 8)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline fingertapper1

• Forum Fanatic
Sound proofing
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 10:17:56 PM »
i see... but isn't it posible to soundproof a room that is not all concrete? balak ko sana i pa sound proof room ko eh... it's in the second floor... alam ko may nabibiling parang mga wallpaper na soundproof?

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sound proofing
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 01:51:18 AM »
wow that is hard,it has to be concrete otherwise sound would stil leak out :(
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sound proofing
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 11:56:54 AM »
Quote from: Mike Pedero
Is this on the second floor?  Are you talking of a full band with drums and amps?  How big is the room?  What are the dimensions in feet or meters - height, length, width?  How far away are the other rooms - i. e. apartments?
What is your roof made of?  The walls?  The flooring seems to be T & G wood?  Or is that only a veneer on a cemented floor?

Do you have air conditioning?  Wall mounted?  Split type?

My advice, put very thick curtains all around; keep your sound level real low when practicing.  To soundproof the room, even partially, will be very expensive, tedious, complicated, especially if the carpenters that will do it are not used to doing such a project.

To smoothen the response of the room, use acoustical tile stuck directly in the ceiling.  It will also help if you carpet the floor.  The room will be VERY bit boomy, but if your SPL is low and your amps are very near you - the players, it will suffice.  Point the amps and the vocal monitors directly to the band.

This is a quick fix.  A lot of the guys here will not agree with me, but it is the most economical and least burdensome fix I can think of right now.  Doubling walls, ceiling, etc. is, as Avril Lavigne would sing, complicated.

Please click here for more help.
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline dod

Sound proofing
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 08:55:02 AM »
Quote from: pallas
egg cartons are the cheapest

It's a misconstrued belief.  The original "eggtrays" were strips of cardboard, about 4" in width and are formed to have some sort of a square container inside, much like the old soda boxes.  People found out that by putting these on the walls, they have the ability to "break-up" certain frequencies - much like Schroeders - and they help in making the sound of the room good.  The old eggtrays are different from the ones used as eggtrays today (Reference:  look at Everest "How to Build a Small Budget Recording Studio From Scratch," Chapter 16, "Bits and Pieces of Acoustical Lore.")

Check out Myths & Realities to download and read Test Reports for egg trays.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sound proofing
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 09:10:03 PM »
Quote from: dod
egg cartons are the cheapest

It's a misconstrued belief.  The original "eggtrays" were strips of cardboard, about 4" in width and are formed to have some sort of a square container inside, much like the old soda boxes.  People found out that by putting these on the walls, they have the ability to "break-up" certain frequencies - much like Schroeders - and they help in making the sound of the room good.  The old eggtrays are different from the ones used as eggtrays today (Reference:  look at Everest "How to Build a Small Budget Recording Studio From Scratch," Chapter 16, "Bits and Pieces of Acoustical Lore.")

Check out Myths & Realities to download and read Test Reports for egg trays.

well id still use em if money was an issue :lol:

Offline dod

Sound proofing
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 06:21:23 PM »
ikaw ang bahala, may sariling isip ka na...  :roll:

Quote from: Nick Colleran
Since entering the acoustics arena in the seventies, we have heard many stories over and over.  One of these is that the acoustic foams are no more than a fancy packaged version of egg cartons.

After listening to this many times, I decided to include them to be tested with some commercial products at Riverbank Acoustical Laboratories.   I recently discovered these in my "attic" files and have reproduced them here.

Egg Cartons do, indeed, have acoustical value.  They measure NRC - 0.40.

However, the graph tells the rest of the story.   While commercial products exhibit a smooth curve, there is a "pothole" in the acoustical road with egg cartons.

Another thing to consider is flammability.  Take an egg carton outside and put a match to it!  Then ask yourself, "Do I still want this on my studio walls?"

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sound proofing
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 11:40:50 PM »
well of course brother...stupid me :roll:  "SAFETY'' is an issue.You could be walkin down a financial district and be blown to bits by a suicide bomber but lets see the point of view by the thread starter.I suspect he is just soundproofing a room maybe for band use.Unless he is building a state of the art studio for superstar recording artists then by all means buy the best stuff and im sure you can find proper acoustic foam ranging from P55. each to P300 and stick it on your wall thats not made of concrete 8)

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Sound proofing
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 11:55:38 PM »
Quote from: fingertapper1

8) there you go.

Offline dod

Sound proofing
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 10:30:51 AM »
Quote from: Paul White
Q What's the difference between soundproofing and acoustic treatment?

Acoustic treatment, in the context of a recording studio, generally deals with the acoustic quality of the room from a listener's point of view. In other words, if you monitor in a control room that has been designed using the correct acoustic treatment, what you hear is likely to be more accurate than the same recording played back over the same speakers in an untreated room.

Soundproofing, on the other hand, is specifically designed to increase the degree of acoustic isolation between the studio and the world outside -- cutting down on noise that leaks into or out of the studio. Sound isolation works the same both ways, so there's no difference in approach to keeping sound in or out.

Q I've heard that sticking egg boxes or acoustic foam to walls will help soundproof a room. Is this true?

Egg boxes can make a marginal improvement to some aspects of a room's acoustics by breaking up reflections from hard surfaces, but they are virtually useless for soundproofing. The same is true of lightweight suspended ceilings, acoustic foam and even Rockwool (Rockwool tends to be used for acoustic treatment or for damping out resonances inside partision walls. All these materials have their uses, but they're mainly for acoustic treatment, not for soundproofing).

Q Where can I obtain more information on this subject?

There are past articles on the SOS web site (enter Soundproofing or Acoustics in the Search facility at www.soundonsound.com/search), and a couple of my own books are available from the SOS bookshop (01954 789888), including Creative Recording II and Basic Home Studio Design. These are good if you want a practical rather than mathematical guide to the subject. For a more detailed, technical approach, there are some excellent books from F. Alton Everest, including The Master Handbook of Acoustics.

Q Are you sure I can't use egg boxes?

Quite sure!

8)  8) there you go!

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sound proofing
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 02:51:06 PM »
oh ok.... i guess people on a budget do have a wide range of prodcuts to choose from 8)

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sound proofing
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2005, 04:38:34 PM »
Here's another one...

Quote from: Kyle Neath
Many musicians believe that soundproofing comes from foam, or egg-carton-looking materials hung around studios. Unfortunately, this cannot be further from the truth. Any foam you see in a studio is not there for soundproofing, but rather acoustical treatment.

Acoustical treatment is the process in which you attempt to deaden the acoustics of a room via sound absorbing foam, bass traps, and all kind soft, porous materials. Anything labeled as Acoustic Foam is for this purpose, not soundproofing. This is mostly the treatment of resonance in certain frequencies and minimizing echoes. Each studio will have it’s own feel to it and that will all depend on the Sound Engineer’s preference for acoustical treatment.

Soundproofing is the process in which you attempt to reduce the intensity of sound transmitted outside of a practice area. This is mostly accomplished in the walls and insulation of the studio itself. The thing to consider here is the STC rating of a given material. An STC rating describes how many decibels are lost in the transmission through a given material. For example, if you had a wall with an STC of 40dB and you were playing your drums at 70dB inside the room, outside of the wall you would measure a 30dB noise level. Average walls have an STC of around 40-60, with brick and concrete walls on the higher end of the spectrum. However, keep in mind - a soundproof room is only as soundproof as it’s weakest point.

Egg Cartons

I’m sure you’ve heard it, put egg cartons all over your room and you’ll soundproof the room! Sounds like an excellent idea, and hey - omlets are starting to sound better by the minute. Unfortunately this is this most popular myths of soundproofing. The soundproofing properties of egg cartons are effectively negligible. That’s right folks, you’re better off putting a chair in the corner than lining your room with egg cartons. Now what egg cartons do is provide acoustical treatment. Specifically, they lower the resonance of mid to high range frequencies - such as cymbals. This can lead to a false sense of soundproofing since the room will echo considerably less after installing egg cartons.

The reason this works it that the goal of acoustical treatment is to trap small pockets of air inside a flexible container. This ‘traps’ the frequencies and prevents them from reflecting back into the room. This is also why acoustical treatment materials can sometimes be called ’sound traps’ or by their specific purpose such as ‘bass traps’.

Quote from: Bruce Valeriani
There's no such thing... there simply is no "cheap" method for soundproofing... the laws of physics don't give a damn about your budget... mass and specialized isolation construction techniques are what's required to soundproof an area.

Sound is very much like water, if a room is not water-tight, it's not soundproof... and you can't make a room "sorta water-proof." So think about an area you want to soundproof, then consider what it would cost to make it waterproof.... you'll see very quickly that it's not a cheap process.

So there you go again.  8) 8) 8)

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2005, 07:27:37 PM »
.... 8)

Offline dod

Sound proofing
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2005, 07:47:14 PM »

egg cartons? i wouldn't be caught alive nor dead using it :lol:

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2005, 03:12:48 AM »
8)

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sound proofing
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2005, 07:17:22 PM »

egg cartons? i wouldn't be caught alive nor dead using it :lol:

Using egg cartons to soundproof a room is an expensive mistake.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2005, 10:54:36 PM »
8)

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sound proofing
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2005, 04:57:27 PM »
ikaw ang bahala, may sariling isip ka na...
8)

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sound proofing
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2005, 10:44:57 PM »
Quote from: Tarkuz Toccata
ikaw ang bahala, may sariling isip ka na...
8)

im sorry :oops: Im the dumbest between the dumb and the dumber.

Offline buliwyf

Sound proofing
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2005, 07:31:17 PM »
you can paint your wooden walls and ceilings with car undercoating material. parang aspalto cya. similar din dito ung material found in dynamat (just add aluminum foil).

then cover your asphalt coated walls with the usual plywood + 0.5" foam + canvas (binded by rugby) for acoustic treatment and aesthetics.

drawback: mga 2 weeks or more amoy gas ang kwarto hehe  :oops:

Offline vaiology

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Sound proofing
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2005, 09:39:05 AM »
Quote from: buliwyf
you can paint your wooden walls and ceilings with car undercoating material. parang aspalto cya. similar din dito ung material found in dynamat (just add aluminum foil).

then cover your asphalt coated walls with the usual plywood + 0.5" foam + canvas (binded by rugby) for acoustic treatment and aesthetics.

drawback: mga 2 weeks or more amoy gas ang kwarto hehe  :oops:

ba mukhang ok yang idea na yan ha naalala ko tuloy yung sa auralex na product pero i have to try it myself para malaman kung effective, matry nga mamaya  :idea:  :D
I LOVE MUSIC !!!

Offline fingertapper1

• Forum Fanatic
Sound proofing
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2005, 08:42:14 PM »
ah ic sorry di ko narereplyan tong thread... to answer your questions medyo malaki tong kwarto ko nasa 2nd floor just imagine may sariling cr kasya ung kama,drumset,computer pati drafting table... so ang problem ko puro kahoy paligid ko...

i gave up on soundproofing the my damn room kasi naisip ko habang nag kikickpedal babayo yun sa baba kasi parang stina-stomp mo rin un eh...

papa carpet ko nlng ung kwarto sa baba(concrete paligid nun) tapos palalagyan ko ng makapal na kortina gaya ng sabi niyo para di na ko masyado gumastos...

i dont care about acoustics... basta may napapagpraktisan ok na...

Offline togo002

Sound proofing
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2005, 10:07:07 PM »
Try nyo yung styrofoam sa walls you can buy big panels of the stuff effective sya sa studio namin sa bahay