hulika

Author Topic: Guitar Luthiers in the Philippines  (Read 19797 times)

Offline dakungfuking

Re: Guitar Luthiers in the Philippines
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2014, 12:42:09 PM »
Re: Guitar Luthiers in the Philippines -- alam niyo po ba kung sino po sa mga local luthiers ang may plek machine same gamit ng suhr for their fret work?

walang may plek dito bro, on a business standpoint parang d viable masyadong malaki ang investment sa plek iilan lang naman ang willing mag bayad sa 2500 nga na refret yung iba parang namamahalan pa lol

this is roger sadowsky's opinion

"I am often asked my opinion of the PLEK machine.....

I was one of the first people that PLEK approached many years ago....and I have stayed current on the improvements they have made over time.  Honestly, I have yet to find a good reason to purchase a PLEK.

First of all, I made my reputation on my fretwork.  There is no machine on the planet that can do better fretwork than Sadowsky Guitars.  Second, there is a fundamental flaw with the logic behind the PLEK.  99% of all neck problems are in the true-ness of the fingerboard.  I am fundamentally opposed to removing material from the frets to compensate for problems in the fingerboard.  If there is a playability issue with one of my instruments, I will remove the frets, rework the fingerboard and then refret with our impeccable fretwork.

I can see some benefit to companies that import a lot of inexpensive instruments or to repair shops that do a lot of fret dressing and set-up work.  However, a PLEK machine brings no "value added" to Sadowsky Guitars, other than having to pass the $100,000 + expense to my customers.

My final word on the subject is that the US sales representative for PLEK, after working on one of my instruments, called to tell me "Roger--you are about the only builder I know who does not need a PLEK".   
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 12:44:16 PM by dakungfuking »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2014, 04:53:28 PM »
Re: Guitar Luthiers in the Philippines -- alam niyo po ba kung sino po sa mga local luthiers ang may plek machine same gamit ng suhr for their fret work?

Bago yata magka plek machine ang mga local repairmen ay dapat mo turuan muna kung paano mag refret with the exception of one. heh heh

Offline queer_rocker

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2014, 05:08:36 PM »
My final word on the subject is that the US sales representative for PLEK, after working on one of my instruments, called to tell me "Roger--you are about the only builder I know who does not need a PLEK".

dapat si johan tinanong nya din  :lol:
dude, there is a difference between having fun and just being a troll.
weh di nga?

Offline norielpogi

« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2014, 10:05:30 PM »
I think as much as we want to fantasize  that they are equal to a REAL Suhr Modern.  They are NOT.  I probably have been the longest Suhr Modern Owner if NOT in the Philippines maybe in the whole Asia for the simple reason my Suhr Modern belongs to the first batch ever built.  In fact, I got the guitar just a few days when the first Moderns were shipping out.  And I can tell you than NONE of the guitar builders you mentioned can equal my specific Suhr Modern in tone (specially this aspect), quality of materials and workmanship.

That being said, there are also plenty of Suhr duds just as there are plenty of Elegee and Micsis duds -- probably Gilead too.

Awesome bro . Kakaingit naman yang suhr mo <3 hoping to see vids or clips of you rocking out that suhr of yours . Your tone must be remarkable :) . Sana mag ka suhr din ako <3 in the meantime ipon muna ako at tiwala sa pcso lotto haha.
recent deals : Spoonbender,nelldenmusic,the wilay,micsis,bossingboss,markv,roger alcantara ;spudmusic;Moncseb;pedallion gears

Offline qroon

• Tanod
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2014, 10:30:57 PM »
walang may plek dito bro, on a business standpoint parang d viable masyadong malaki ang investment sa plek iilan lang naman ang willing mag bayad sa 2500 nga na refret yung iba parang namamahalan pa lol

this is roger sadowsky's opinion

"I am often asked my opinion of the PLEK machine.....

I was one of the first people that PLEK approached many years ago....and I have stayed current on the improvements they have made over time.  Honestly, I have yet to find a good reason to purchase a PLEK.

First of all, I made my reputation on my fretwork.  There is no machine on the planet that can do better fretwork than Sadowsky Guitars.  Second, there is a fundamental flaw with the logic behind the PLEK.  99% of all neck problems are in the true-ness of the fingerboard.  I am fundamentally opposed to removing material from the frets to compensate for problems in the fingerboard.  If there is a playability issue with one of my instruments, I will remove the frets, rework the fingerboard and then refret with our impeccable fretwork.

I can see some benefit to companies that import a lot of inexpensive instruments or to repair shops that do a lot of fret dressing and set-up work.  However, a PLEK machine brings no "value added" to Sadowsky Guitars, other than having to pass the $100,000 + expense to my customers.

I was about to post this, he he he.

Precise and meticulous work on fingerboard and frets talaga muna dapat.

Semper Erectus
Spur | Helical | Bevel | Hypoid | Crown | Epicyclic

Offline dakungfuking

« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2014, 02:06:09 AM »
Bago yata magka plek machine ang mga local repairmen ay dapat mo turuan muna kung paano mag refret with the exception of one. heh heh

even that one isn't perfect but i believe he is the best and most qualified among them bunch when it

come to repairs and restorations, but he has limitations like everybody else,

believe it or not may mga bagay na d nya kayang gawin na kaya nang iba, i know for a fact

cause some of his customers will go to other repair persons when he declines a certain job

that is way beyond his ability, you see everybody has its own talents and expertise and limitations

too.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2014, 06:07:20 AM »
even that one isn't perfect but i believe he is the best and most qualified among them bunch when it

come to repairs and restorations, but he has limitations like everybody else,

believe it or not may mga bagay na d nya kayang gawin na kaya nang iba, i know for a fact

cause some of his customers will go to other repair persons when he declines a certain job

that is way beyond his ability, you see everybody has its own talents and expertise and limitations

too.

Are you sure he declines because its beyond his abilities or something else?  Heh Heh.  Something to think about....

Offline dakungfuking

« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2014, 06:29:21 AM »
Are you sure he declines because its beyond his abilities or something else?  Heh Heh.  Something to think about....

yes im pretty sure he declined because it was beyond his ability otherwise he could easily have

taken the Job it was a complex pickup switching combination from one of his regulars, he said 

he cant figure out how to execute the custom wiring combi, to his credit at least he was honest

about it. then another repair guy took the job and executed the customers request.

i know your a fan and i myself but he has limitations like everybody else maybe were forgetting

that he is only human.

Offline bakit?

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2014, 06:32:35 AM »
yes im pretty sure he declined because it was beyond his ability otherwise he could easily have

taken the Job it was a complex pickup switching combination from one of his regulars, he said 

he cant figure out how to execute the custom wiring combi, to his credit at least he was honest

about it. then another repair guy took the job and executed the customers request.

i know your a fan and i myself but he has limitations like everybody else maybe were forgetting

that he is only human.

if we are talking about the same person, i had my greco es335 restoed by him but was not satisfied by the way my guitar neck buzzed. according sa kanya, normal daw sa hollowbody yun. i had it checked by somebody else and it turned out fine.
I believe that the definition of definition is reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself.

Completely.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2014, 09:33:36 AM »

that he is only human.

Baka hindi nya forte ang electronics/custom wiring.

Offline dakungfuking

« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2014, 10:46:48 AM »
Baka hindi nya forte ang electronics/custom wiring.

he is well verse but yung demand nang customers baka well beyond his ability, he is really good though and i believe his

refrets and restorations The best sa pinas
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 10:53:24 AM by dakungfuking »

Offline satch

Guitar Luthiers in the Philippines
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2017, 05:21:57 PM »
Long good read. Some posts back mentioned, if it gets the job done, its good. Or parang ganun.

So, any recommendation within QC/Manila? Looking to have a guitar restored sana and latest info ay makakatulong. Salamat :)

Edit: checked the list and meron na napili puntahan. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 12:00:09 AM by satch »
Rock Guitarist wannabe
Fractal Audio FM3 unboxing: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCipScoYG7bqyzWSUO4DxfjA/