hulika

Author Topic: Lampano Alley  (Read 6299 times)

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Lampano Alley
« on: May 14, 2006, 10:19:10 AM »
Here's something I wrote a few years back on Lampano Alley. Now that this forum is up, might as well rehash it :)

http://www.philmusic.com/zine/editorial/2003/10/101903_blues/

Offline haringulan

Lampano Alley
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 09:53:27 AM »
i gave my american boss a copy of lampano alley.
he said, "binky, weird name for a bluesman, but it's good music".

i hope he comes back our shores pretty soon...

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Lampano Alley
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 02:55:55 PM »
Quote from: pinoymusika
Here's something I wrote a few years back on Lampano Alley. Now that this forum is up, might as well rehash it :)

http://www.philmusic.com/zine/editorial/2003/10/101903_blues/

nice!

sana re-post mo rin ung link dun sa old Soul Benders article. and that Blues Primer for Pinoys think I wrote dati? :-)

Offline transworld25

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 09:56:30 AM »
Caught Color It Red a couple of weeks back at Unplugged Bar in Malate. It was my first time to watch them live with Edwin Vergara (acoustic), who, I just found out, was the guitarist for the Lampano Alley album. Man, that guy has some tasty blues licks even on acoustic guitar!

Fast forward two weeks, since I was curious about his guitar work, I got myself a copy of the Lampano Alley album (NA Records) from Mag:net yesterday. After taking the cd for a couple of spins, I must say that there really is very good music from that album. Very clean blues playing in all the right places from the band, and Binky was truly a bluesman in belting out the songs. More importantly, this was good original pilipino music. Ten songs composed by Binky, with one which he co-wrote with bassist Simon Tan.

I sure wish he comes back to Manila to do some gigs soon.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 10:04:10 AM »
Edwin has been one of the best blues guitarists around for years. Under-reated, under-appreciated lang kasi simple style nya, pero super effective. The cd proves it.    Nice guy pa!

Haaay... I miss Lampano Alley!

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 11:37:39 AM »
hey guys, is there anyone here who knows how to get in touch with him?

nasa cali pa naman kami pareho, but i dont know how to find him. kahit email address nya or kay tom colvin mga bros...PM me pls.thanks
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 01:12:48 PM »
try tomcat...

colvin@mail.com

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 02:00:27 PM »
ayos thanks joric....uhm...it's just colvin @ mail?

hindi gmail joric?
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 04:15:52 PM »
ayos thanks joric....uhm...it's just colvin @ mail?

hindi gmail joric?

just colvin@mail.

pag di yan nagwork, heto pa:
tomcat@mnl.sequel.net
tomcolvin@usa.net

months ago when tom was here last, he told me that binky was studying IT in school. ewan ko kung ganun pa rin.

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 07:50:58 PM »
alright thanks!

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 07:46:47 PM »
Caught Color It Red a couple of weeks back at Unplugged Bar in Malate. It was my first time to watch them live with Edwin Vergara (acoustic), who, I just found out, was the guitarist for the Lampano Alley album. Man, that guy has some tasty blues licks even on acoustic guitar!

I like him better on acoustic. :-)

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 01:38:23 AM »
Fast forward two weeks, since I was curious about his guitar work, I got myself a copy of the Lampano Alley album (NA Records) from Mag:net yesterday. After taking the cd for a couple of spins, I must say that there really is very good music from that album. Very clean blues playing in all the right places from the band, and Binky was truly a bluesman in belting out the songs. More importantly, this was good original pilipino music. Ten songs composed by Binky, with one which he co-wrote with bassist Simon Tan.

The Lampano Alley album was actually quite a jazzy blues album - plenty of dynamics, good blowing, nice choice of rhythms and tempos. But it's hard to imagine that Binky is the same guy from Deans December in the 80's - it's almost night and day.
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 02:49:27 AM »

The Lampano Alley album was actually quite a jazzy blues album - plenty of dynamics, good blowing, nice choice of rhythms and tempos. But it's hard to imagine that Binky is the same guy from Deans December in the 80's - it's almost night and day.

correct sir!  :-)
John 3:16

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 09:05:14 AM »

And let's thank Miles, Coltrane and all the blues Gods for it!

Great album, that.

Offline tonnakpil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 02:17:40 PM »

Hi Transworld,

Are you talking about Mag:net Katipunan? I've been searching for this record for years now. Napansin mo ba kung marami silang stock? Thanks!

Ton

Offline Indie_Boy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 03:49:06 PM »
guys why do you think binky lampano switched to blues/jazz music? he's very U2'ish and new waver at heart.. is it because of maturity ba? just wonderin..  :-)

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 04:02:09 AM »
guys why do you think binky lampano switched to blues/jazz music? he's very U2'ish and new waver at heart.. is it because of maturity ba? just wonderin..  :-)

i guess so...he might not have forgotten U2 at all i think...maybe it's blues and jazz that just made him express more what is deep down inside of him  :-)

Offline Indie_Boy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2006, 02:53:15 PM »
well.. everybody's changin ika nga..

Offline transworld25

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 08:18:03 PM »
Hi Transworld,

Are you talking about Mag:net Katipunan? I've been searching for this record for years now. Napansin mo ba kung marami silang stock? Thanks!

Ton

Got it from Mag:net at The Columns (near RCBC and Zuellig) in Buendia corner Ayala Ave, Makati. saw a couple of copies left

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 10:38:08 AM »

i guess so...he might not have forgotten U2 at all i think...maybe it's blues and jazz that just made him express more what is deep down inside of him  :-)

I remember reading an article about him discovering blues and Miles and Trane and the cool jazz cats around or after his new wave spell.  Whatever his reason, we are better off for it.  He has the bluesiest sounding voice from a pinoy (right up there with would be Alex of Huka pero ibang style sila. I like em both).  Sayang yung natural talent niya kung hindi siya napadpad sa blues.

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2006, 12:08:53 AM »
Binky didn't think too highly of his old new wave days. He used to write that the volume of the music gave him hearing loss, which explained his nick on the Pinoyjazz list where he called himself 'Boy Bingi'. In the meantime Binky's take on the blues is coming from the jazz side rather than the rock side - there was a lot of swing and dynamics in Lampano Alley, sometimes they would play "so soft you could hear a rat peein' on cotton." This allows you to hear the band more rather than being blasted away with a wall of sound.

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2006, 04:48:15 AM »
Binky didn't think too highly of his old new wave days. He used to write that the volume of the music gave him hearing loss, which explained his nick on the Pinoyjazz list where he called himself 'Boy Bingi'. In the meantime Binky's take on the blues is coming from the jazz side rather than the rock side - there was a lot of swing and dynamics in Lampano Alley, sometimes they would play "so soft you could hear a rat peein' on cotton." This allows you to hear the band more rather than being blasted away with a wall of sound.

i agree sir! you hear everything pag soft din...well silence is also part of music.

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2006, 09:36:23 AM »
Well dynamics is very important to the blues - the drummer needs to play very soft or crank it up louder based on the demands of the song. And the amps don't have to be cranked up to 11 all the time. (spinal tap joke sorry)

There is nothing more fatiguing to listen to than a band that plays at the same loud volume for the whole set. That was probably what Binky was lamenting about back in his Dean's December days.

Offline Indie_Boy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2006, 08:24:12 PM »

i see..

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2006, 07:07:31 AM »
Just to clarify, I can enjoy a set of ear-busting heavy rock as well - but some genres (like the blues) really sound better with a wide dynamic range.   :-)