hulika

Author Topic: Thread on wiring, Pots, Pickups and the such.  (Read 42042 times)

Offline pizarro84

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Thread on wiring, Pots, Pickups and the such.
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2007, 09:33:42 PM »
Mga sir just got a push pull pot, tanong ko lang kung ano ba ang diagram nung mga pins nun, 6 pin pi sha (yung push pull module). Naghahanap po kasi ako ng diagram nun (which pin is connected to who pag naka push or naka pull) wala ako mahanap sa net. Thanks
saan mo na bili yung push pull pot? oo nga saan ko ilalagay yung wires nun? balak ko kseng gawin yung richie sambora strat wiring...

Guitar classifieds, from sir Qwi..

Offline tejadster

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2007, 09:37:02 PM »
magkano?

Offline embot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2007, 10:20:44 PM »
Mga sir just got a push pull pot, tanong ko lang kung ano ba ang diagram nung mga pins nun, 6 pin pi sha (yung push pull module). Naghahanap po kasi ako ng diagram nun (which pin is connected to who pag naka push or naka pull) wala ako mahanap sa net. Thanks
Try mo guitarelectronics.com under pickup wiring.  Kung wala kang mahanap doon, PM mo ko at specify mo exactly kung ano ang gusto mong ma achieve with the push-pull pot.

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2007, 05:23:17 AM »
yup :)

try this site: http://www.bothner.co.za/articles/volumepot2.shtml

hi! ive installed a 0.001µF cap into my 500k volume pot, without a resistor. Since Bothner said its what he usually did with his humbucker type guitars. Guess what!? my guitar sounded bright or is it just me?  I just needed the treble to bleed through.

but yes, my highs were retained when i lowered the volume.

Should i really install a resistor and should i replace it with 0.002µF cap?

Any comments appreciated. Thanks!
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2007, 05:55:42 AM »
Ako I stick with the original Fender wiring. May naiiba kasi sa sound pag nag pa Blend pickup wiring eh...

I find the treble bleed thing very usefull so I have it...

I also wire one tone pot for the bridge and one for the neck and mid pup para may control ako sa Bridge pup...

I stick with 250k pots cause in my opinion they are still the best for strats...

Measure your pots dapat d bababa ng 240k ang value iba na kc tunog pag mababa. Kahit nakasulat 250k kung minsan mas mababa kya imeasure mo muna before you buy...

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline juan sinko

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2007, 10:08:50 AM »
ako dun sa project restoration ko sa  first guitar ng cousin ko we use 500k pots  kc ans pickup setup nya ay s-s-h kc mas matgal masunog o masira ang 500k kesa sa 250k,kasi kapag 250  gnamit mo the more na  bababad ango mtagall k ngplay sa isang gig the more risk ka masunogan o masiraan ng pot especially 250k

JUAN SINKO UPPERS CLUB<br />MoDUS ExPERIMENTUS ako <br />Upping is not a crime

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2007, 10:22:22 AM »
hi! ive installed a 0.001µF cap into my 500k volume pot, without a resistor. Since Bothner said its what he usually did with his humbucker type guitars. Guess what!? my guitar sounded bright or is it just me?  I just needed the treble to bleed through.

but yes, my highs were retained when i lowered the volume.

Should i really install a resistor and should i replace it with 0.002µF cap?

Any comments appreciated. Thanks!

Yeah, naturally magiging trebly yung sound pag capacitor lang yung sinalpak mo. Try adding a 120-150kΩ resistor in parrallel with the capacitor. The purpose of the resistor is to act as a "bleeder" for the capacitor. Ang effect nyan dapat is pag niroll off mo yung volume knob mo, hindi lang highs yung mareretain. Mas buo na yung signal pag ginalaw mo yung volume knob mo :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline zphunkz

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2007, 05:37:58 PM »
it will affect ba my tone if ill just gonna buy a ordinary 250k pots?  kasi i asked sa audiophile 260 pesos 1pc of 250k pots..ang mahal naman..

sa sta.mesa kasi 20 pesos lang eh..may difference ba pag branded? sa tone?
"Praise Him with the clash of cymbals,
    Praise Him with resounding cymbals."
                                                           Psalm 150:5

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2007, 10:27:41 PM »
it will affect ba my tone if ill just gonna buy a ordinary 250k pots?  kasi i asked sa audiophile 260 pesos 1pc of 250k pots..ang mahal naman..

sa sta.mesa kasi 20 pesos lang eh..may difference ba pag branded? sa tone?

Always go for the ones that have large casings wag yung mga small ones...

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2007, 10:32:57 PM »

Offline ritch_079

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2007, 01:17:26 AM »
i have a strat here na s-s-s with 2 tone pots para sa neck and mid.. i'm planning to re-wire it para maging isang master tone control, and the otherone as blend control.. may nakita na akong schematics.. http://www.kinman.com/images/inside/toneWorkshop/tone/Strat_Wirogram.PDF

..so tanong ko lang kung san po makakakuha ng .022uf caps na 630volt..
lahat ba ng types ng caps pwde ilagay dito? or may specific na caps lang.. like orangedrop, oil film... and the stuff.. i'm really new sa electronics.. thanks!!

san pala mkakakuha ng 500k pots rin? thanks!!

Offline zphunkz

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2007, 12:02:45 PM »
where did u guys purchase the resistor and capacitors for your guitars?
"Praise Him with the clash of cymbals,
    Praise Him with resounding cymbals."
                                                           Psalm 150:5

Offline ritch_079

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2007, 02:18:36 PM »
up for the question.. hehe.. san mkakabili ng caps?? meron ba alexan or deeco?
hehe

Offline skizok

• Philmusicus Noobitus

Offline goodmorningtowel

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2007, 10:10:27 AM »
What is the difference between 250K & 500K pots?
Either 250K or 500K pots can be used with any passive pickups however the pot values will affect tone slightly. The rule is: Using higher value pots (500K) will give the guitar a brighter sound and lower value pots (250K) will give the guitar a slightly warmer sound. This is because higher value pots put less of a load on the pickups which prevents treble frequencies from "bleeding" to ground through the pot and being lost. For this reason, guitars with humbuckers like Les Pauls use 500K pots to retain more highs for a slightly brighter tone and guitars with single coils like Stratocasters and Telecasters use 250K pots to add some warmth by slightly reducing the highs. You can also fine tune the sound by changing the pot values regardless of what pot value the guitar originally had.
What is the difference between Audio and Linear taper pots?
Audio and Linear taper pots have the same total resistance but differ in which position of rotation the pot will reach the 50% value. Linear pots are usually marked with a B or Lin (examples 250KB, B250K, 250K Lin) and will reach 50% of its total resistance in the 50% rotation point. Audio taper pots are usually marked with an A or Aud (examples 500KA, A500K 500K Aud) and will decrease most of the resistance in the last 50% of the rotation. This can give a more gradual audio reduction is some cases. Most manufactures and builders either use Audio taper pots for volume and tone or linear for volume and audio for tone. However, if a problem of exists where a volume or tone pot has no effect on the sound, try a changing the taper. How to check the taper with an ohm meter: Set the pot to the center position (50% rotation) and measure the resistance between the center pin and each of the outer pins. If the the resistance is equal (50% of the pots value) the pot is linear. If the values are not equal, the pot is an Audio taper.

What is a Fender TBX tone control and how does it work?
Some Fender guitars come equipped with a special pot called a TBX Tone Control T (treble) B (bass) X (Cut) that cuts either treble or bass instead of a tone pot that cuts treble frequencies only. This is done with a ganged 500K-1M ohm control pot that is wired to work as a low-pass filter in one direction and a high-pass filter in the opposite direction. A center detent in the middle position is provided for the off or "flat" position. Although Fender altered their Start tone configuration to have the TBX control the middle and bridge pickups, it can be also be wired as a master treble/bass control. The TBX can also be used in place of any standard tone control on any guitar.

What is a Fender No Load tone control and how does it work?
The Fender No Load Pot is used on some USA Strats, Teles and Fender basses and is wired like a standard tone control. From settings 1-9 it works like a standard tone then clicks in at 10 (full clockwise/ bright setting) and removes the pot and capacitor from the circuit. This eliminates the path to ground that exists with standard pots even in the full treble position. By eliminating the path to ground thru the pot, the only load on the pickup is the volume pot. So if 250K pots are used, the load is reduced from 125K to 250K and if 500K pots are used, the load is reduced from 250K to 500K (high resistance = low load) The reduced load allows more power output from he pickup and reduces the amount of high frequencies that bleed off to ground. This gives a noticeable increase in brightness and output in the full treble setting. The no load pot can be used in place of any standard tone control on any guitar or bass.
How does the tone capacitor value affect the sound of the guitar?
Most guitars and basses with passive pickups use between .01 and .1MFD (Microfarad) tone capacitors with .02 (or .022) and .05 (or .047) being the most common choices. The capacitor and tone pot are wired together to provide a variable low pass filter. This means when the filter is engaged (tone pot is turned) only the low frequencies pass to the output jack and the high frequencies are grounded out (cut) In this application, the capacitor value determines the "cutoff frequency" of the filter and the position of the tone pot determines how much the highs (everything above the cutoff frequency) will be reduced. So the rule is: Larger capacitors will have lower cutoff frequency and sound darker in the bass setting because a wider range of frequencies is being reduced. Smaller capacitors will have a higher cutoff frequency and sound brighter in the bass setting because only the ultra high frequencies are cut. For this reason, dark sounding guitars like Les Pauls with humbuckers typically use .02MFD (or .022MFD) capacitors to cut off less of the highs and guitars like Strats and Teles with single coils typically use .05MFD capacitors to allow more treble to be rolled off. Keep in mind that the capacitor value only affects the sound when the tone control is being used (pot in the bass setting) The tone capacitor value will have little to no effect on the sound when the tone pot is in the treble setting.
Does the number of control pots used affect the sound?
Yes: Since the load on the pickups is determined by the total parallel resistance of all pots that are being used at a atime, using fewer pots will reduce the overall load and give a slightly brighter sound. Also, connecting more pots is the same as using lower value pots, two 500K pots will loose or "bleed" the same amount of treble frequencies as one 250K pot. To lessen the effect, switching should be designed (when possible ) to remove pots from the circuit when the related pickup is not selected. An example of this is the Les Paul: bridge controls are out of the circuit when in the selector is in the neck position and the neck controls are out of the circuit when the selector is in the bridge position.

Pickup and Switch FAQs

What is the difference between single & four wire humbuckers?
Single wire humbuckers, (also called single conductor) have the link between the two individual coils hard wired together internally. They also have one coil lead hard wired to ground. This means the pickup can not be coil split, reverse phased or switched to parallel. These pickups usually have a metal braided coaxial output wire. (braid=ground and the center wire=hot) Four wire humbuckers have both wires from each coil plus a ground wire (usually bare wire) all in one cabel to allow thw cois to be split, reverse phase or switched to parallel with custom and optional switching. For standard humbucker wiring (series-in phase) two of the wires (series link/ coil tap wires) are connected together and the remaining two wires are used as hot and ground. (the wire used as the ground is combined with the bare ground wire and soldered to the back of the volume pot or other ground spot. The wire used as hot is soldered to the pickup switch or volume pot.
What are the differences between coil tap, series/parallel & reverse phase?
With a single 4 wire humbucker, there are six possible modes. (Diagrams & Switch Usage)
1. Series-In Phase This is the standard humbucker wiring. Maximum power output with strong bass and smooth attack. (hum canceling)
2. Single Coil (South) Just the South coil of the pickup alone. Good traditional single coil tone with a sharper attack. (not hum canceling) Use in combination (series or parallel) humbucker in "North coil mode" or a standard single coil (north) for a hum canceling Strat/ P.R.S. style tone.
3. Single Coil (North) Just north coil of the pickup alone. Almost the same tone as the south coil but slightly different due to its different position. (not hum canceling) Use in combination (series or parallel) with another humbucker in "South coil mode" or a standard single coil (South) for a hum canceling Strat/P.R.S. style of tone.
4. Parallel-In Phase Great single coil style tone with no hum. Best option for clean, bright tone without the noise of standard single coil wiring. Strong treble with crisp attack but lower power output. (hum canceling)
5. Series-Out of Phase Thin "phased" sound with good power. Great for funk. (not hum canceling)
6. Parallel-Out of Phase Thinner "phased" sound with low power. (not hum canceling)

Offline tele-user

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2007, 04:52:27 PM »
i installed a GFS bridge pickup on my les paul and now when i put the switch in the middle position on the 3 way selector, the volume drops considerably. and its all from the bridge pickup. also, the volume pot doesnt work quite as well as it used to. i dont know what went wrong. help! hehe :-) btw, the bridge pickup i installed is a 4 wire humbucker, and the stock pickup on the neck position is a 2 wire humbucker.

pls help me figure out what's wrong. thanks! :-)

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2007, 04:12:15 AM »
where did u guys purchase the resistor and capacitors for your guitars?

i got my resistor and capacitor at DEECO(second flr farmers cubao)

@Poundcake

Bro, ive added a 150kohm resistor in parallel.. the bleed was wonderful! id have all my guitars in the future modded myself haha.. thanks!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 04:14:31 AM by progressive_pilipinas »
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline nicosci

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2007, 06:33:29 AM »
lets have fun...

My electronics which I love.
Let USA invadeThe Philippines

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2007, 10:34:11 PM »
...entiometers.. i have a problem about the vol pot on my washburn n1. its a push pull pot but as a volume pot, it sucks. gradual lang ang decrease then poof. its gone. is there anything wrong with the pot? should i change it? do i have the wrong kind of pot? please help.

and oh to those who didnt realize it already, this post isnt about the "wonder herb"

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2007, 10:58:35 PM »
up
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline jimny

• Veteran Member
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2007, 04:40:51 AM »
I have a 70s-80s yamaha lp400 and im planning to replace the pick ups any suggestion on what pick ups will sound better than the stock.

Offline rabidtongue

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2008, 09:24:08 AM »
lately lang ako namulat sa wiring, pots at capacitors ng gitara...kaya may ilang questions ako:

sirs may nakatry na ba sa inyo na maglagay ng oil caps?

malaki ba difference ng oil caps kumpara sa mga orange drop caps?

salamat!

Don\'t make promises just guarantees.

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2008, 11:45:43 AM »
lets have fun...

My electronics which I love.

hey bro. anung specs nyan? :)
We are the authorized Philippines Dealer for the following brands:

www.strymon.net * www.maxonfx.com * www.voodoolab.com * www.godlyke.com * www.neunabertechnology.com * www.mieffects.com * spudmusicmnl@yahoo.com 09165923814

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2008, 11:47:27 AM »
nice thread btw.

has anyone tried alessandro caps on their guitars?
We are the authorized Philippines Dealer for the following brands:

www.strymon.net * www.maxonfx.com * www.voodoolab.com * www.godlyke.com * www.neunabertechnology.com * www.mieffects.com * spudmusicmnl@yahoo.com 09165923814

Offline ninejuicyjulius

• Banned from AGT
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2008, 11:26:45 PM »
meron ba ditong nakasubok na ng mga pickups na ito? kumusta ang tunog?

SNYDER MAX (from everymusic.com)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 11:28:55 PM by ninejuicyjulius »
Ows? Di nga?