hulika

Author Topic: Behringer Guitar Stuff Thread - Let's collect them here.  (Read 110798 times)

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Behringer Guitar Stuff Thread - Let's collect them here.
« on: December 03, 2007, 04:55:57 PM »
Hey guys.

The Boston stomps thread was very informative and 60+ pages long as of time of this writing. Maybe we can treat another line of stomps and pedals here in one unified thread. Let's discuss Behringer Stomps.

Mostly maligned, sometimes praised, let's appreciate them for what they are and what they're not.

Let me start the ball roling.

Last year, I went to Yupangco coz their special of the month sale was on Behringer pedals. I tried out a couple. I had my eye on the DM4, but trying it...sorry ha...it was HORRIBLE. Maybe plugging it into a Marshall MG50 had something to do with it...the distortion on the amp kicked the pedal so bad that you'd think it's actually a parasite on the signal chain.

Anyway, next was the TO800. Okay lang, plain-Jane generic tubescreamer-ish booster.

I finally got a Behringer CS100, which still is in my arsenal. It's more quiet than a Boss CS3 and generically good...does its job and is cheap. Good enough.

Next that I owned was a Behringer GDI21. Now this pedal exceeds my 50% "OK" factor. It's more than OK. For a cheap pedal, you get multiple voicings. Although in its stock form, I wouldnt say it will kick nor approach the tube amps it claims to emulate. But for the price, oks na oks na talaga sya. I tinkered with it, made it true bypass, attempted to re-house it, until I damaged my unit. Maybe not beyond repair, but beyond my inertia to fix it for now. I was also able to tinker around with sidlead66's GDI, so I applied the tonesuck mitigator mod on it and scalarized it with a metalcore. IMPRESSIVE! The memory of it stuck with me till I got my 2nd GDI21 yesterday. Haven't opened it yet, but I mean to very soon.

Next on my list of rants and raves is the Behringer Hellbabe HB01. Stock, it is a good "attempt" to make a great pedal. Optical wah circuitry means there is no pot to wear out and replace every 2 years or so. Variable sweep control just like on the JD 535Q. Me fine control pa (havent figgered what that's for yet). And a built-in clean booster ! Plastic construction with a very heavy baseplate, pero the good kind of plastic naman. Wowowee.

However, when you play with the HB01, the common complaint is the lack of sweep. Well, we all know it only takes a razorblade to correct that. It's also a tonesucker (Behris are starting to get this reputation!) so the tonesuck mitigation mod is called for. You can also put in a DPDT switch in here to convert it to a "step-on" pedal just like JD's and pot-based Morleys. And finally, as firemodel pointed out once, it is inductor-less so it doesn't sound as warm nor has the response of those wahs that have inductors. So, a simple organicore scalarizer connected in shunt corrected that. So far, there is only one HB01 that carries these mods (radiostationexp) and I'm on the hunt for an HB01 for myself.

Kayo naman ! Post kayo ng rants and raves ninyo on Behringer stomp products !
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 12:53:21 PM by BAMF »
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline demoboi

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Behringer Stomps Thread - Let's collect them here.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 05:29:31 PM »
I've got a couple of Behringers din, like HB01, UC100, PB100, and CS100

UC100- It is said to be a clone of the Boss CH series, well haven't tried it yet so I can't compare it. The knobs are kinda loose, but you still get the response you need. It's plastic, so no ax kicks! All I can say is that it works for me.

PB100- Gives you a clean boost when you need it. It has 3 knobs(level, bass, and treble). All praises to this pedal but one draw back is when you leave the level knob past 3 o'clock, it would make a clicking sound even when it is in bypass mode.

I'm planning to get there EQ, Tuner and the Super phaser.. reviews din sana.. :roll:
EXN PEDALBOARDS AND CASES http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,76364.0.html09173208410 / YM: exnpedalboards / skype: exn_pedalboards / fb: exnpedalboards / multiply: exnpedalboards

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 05:32:32 PM »
the behringer gdi21 is indeed wonderful for what it does. 2 problems pose for me though..

1) plastic housing
2) footswitch

now if there was only a way to rehouse it safely and change the flimsy footswitch..

Offline demoboi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 05:35:05 PM »
I've heard that there is a mod for it.. placing the switch in between... I forgot..
EXN PEDALBOARDS AND CASES http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,76364.0.html09173208410 / YM: exnpedalboards / skype: exn_pedalboards / fb: exnpedalboards / multiply: exnpedalboards

Offline facundo

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 05:49:27 PM »
I got the CS100.

At first I thought I made a mistake in buying it and I actually wanted to sell it right away. (Posted it last week hehe:-D) But then I decided to give it a chance. It turned out to be an okay pedal after all. Low noise and gets the job done.. I leave it on 90% of the time. Even when im using dist haha. One thing i notice is that when you get a compressor, it usually comes with a noise gate cause of the hum and buzz the pedal causes. However, with the behringer I didnt have to spend that extra money.  :-)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 05:51:07 PM by facundo »

Offline redballs17

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 05:51:13 PM »
Before, I never wanted a behringer pedal because of its plastic construction and IMO ugly design. But with a cheap price and some good reviews regarding price to tone ratio:-D, it has always been an option whenever I want to purchase an effect. I'm eyeing to buy their tube ultragain mic100 (I heard from one forumite that it has a nice tube like sound when chained to effects).

Some weird specification regarding the tube preamp is that it has one 12ax7 and runs in a 9volt DC? :? 

Do you think that it will perform its purpose?

another question :-D
has anyone tried the new tube pedals from behringer?

http://www.behringer.com/VT999/index.cfm?lang=eng
and
http://www.behringer.com/VT911/index.cfm?lang=eng

:-D

Offline eders19

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 06:22:05 PM »
i borrowed a gdi21 and i'm pretty ok with it, just wish it had a mid frequency knob to tinker with. BAMF, can you add something like that to the gdi?

i just got myself a ut100 and since i'm not very particular with tremolo, i'm happy with it, although sana they'd make a copy of line6's tap tremolo for the tap tempo.

i've heard the cs100 and the to800. ok naman sila i wouldn't mind buying them if i needed them. i'm actually gunning for the EQ pedal hahaha and maybe the delay.

i heard the v-amp pro is good  :-D

o additional question about the gdi to BAMF:

when you scalarize it with the metalcore, do you still maintain the tone of the clean setting or does it change entirely?

with or without you...

Offline scyphiphora

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 06:33:33 PM »
behringer distortion-x (XD300)

tingin ko ginawa tong pedal na 'to para sa thrash metal. ganda tunog, di sobrang bigat yung chugchug niya na tipong malalaglag yung dibdib mo. parang mas manipis ng unti tas subrang lutong ng distortion kahit di nakatodo. ayos din yung nagagawa ng contour knob, may range ako ng bigat na gusto ko depende sa kanta. tas yung punch knob naman, ayus din, ganda pang solo, napapaiba nya yung range ng frequency ng individual notes, so parang napapatinis niya yung dating ng tunog pero di nababago yung nota.

nga pla, sino may hm100? bilin ko yan  :-D

Offline ice.lacsina

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 07:27:34 PM »
Sir Jobet, is the TO808 close to the real thing?

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 08:12:17 PM »
I had a behringer to800 and to100. their "ts-808" and "ts-9" clones.

I also had their boss os-2, the "od100".

THEY SOUND VERY VERY CLOSE. the only difference I really noticed was that they reacted less "analog" and imposed their tonal signature a lot more. Less transparency bale.

My friend and I chained them together to compare: ts-808, ts-9, behringer to800 and to100. we couldn't tell the difference, honestly. lumitaw nalang yung difference when we cascaded them one by one into a ds-1. they react differently to other pedals as compared to the originals they try to mimic.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 08:23:08 PM »
i borrowed a gdi21 and i'm pretty ok with it, just wish it had a mid frequency knob to tinker with. BAMF, can you add something like that to the gdi?

i just got myself a ut100 and since i'm not very particular with tremolo, i'm happy with it, although sana they'd make a copy of line6's tap tremolo for the tap tempo.

i've heard the cs100 and the to800. ok naman sila i wouldn't mind buying them if i needed them. i'm actually gunning for the EQ pedal hahaha and maybe the delay.

i heard the v-amp pro is good  :-D

o additional question about the gdi to BAMF:

when you scalarize it with the metalcore, do you still maintain the tone of the clean setting or does it change entirely?

Scalarizing a GDI involves tapping the scal across the output jack in series with a 10k resistor. So yeah, it will affect the clean unbypassed tone. In good way naman. Lumalagkit ang tunog. When you turn the distortion on naman, nagso-solidify ang tunog with a metalcore. Basta...my GDI21 will be available for audition soon :D
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline eders19

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 08:46:44 PM »
Scalarizing a GDI involves tapping the scal across the output jack in series with a 10k resistor. So yeah, it will affect the clean unbypassed tone. In good way naman. Lumalagkit ang tunog. When you turn the distortion on naman, nagso-solidify ang tunog with a metalcore. Basta...my GDI21 will be available for audition soon :D

yey!
with or without you...

Offline XFree

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 09:12:43 PM »
got myself the BO100 blues overdrive aka BD-2 clone daw- true at some setting but not all the way...tends to be fuzzy when gain reaches 2'oclock above.

cs100 sounds like the cs-3 but rounder

Specifications are subject to change without notice.

Offline pr3ach2all

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 09:14:40 PM »
is the pedal tuner good?

Offline xelalien

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 09:36:56 PM »
behringer distortion-x (XD300)

tingin ko ginawa tong pedal na 'to para sa thrash metal. ganda tunog, di sobrang bigat yung chugchug niya na tipong malalaglag yung dibdib mo. parang mas manipis ng unti tas subrang lutong ng distortion kahit di nakatodo. ayos din yung nagagawa ng contour knob, may range ako ng bigat na gusto ko depende sa kanta. tas yung punch knob naman, ayus din, ganda pang solo, napapaiba nya yung range ng frequency ng individual notes, so parang napapatinis niya yung dating ng tunog pero di nababago yung nota.

nga pla, sino may hm100? bilin ko yan  :-D

hmmm parang XT-2 clone yan ah... "contour" knob e........

Offline facundo

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 10:02:07 PM »
Has anyone tried the dd100? Its not bad if you ask me..

Check this out: http://youtube.com/watch?v=i7h7X-ziiWA  :wink:

Offline ice.lacsina

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 10:06:16 PM »
I had a behringer to800 and to100. their "ts-808" and "ts-9" clones.

I also had their boss os-2, the "od100".

THEY SOUND VERY VERY CLOSE. the only difference I really noticed was that they reacted less "analog" and imposed their tonal signature a lot more. Less transparency bale.

My friend and I chained them together to compare: ts-808, ts-9, behringer to800 and to100. we couldn't tell the difference, honestly. lumitaw nalang yung difference when we cascaded them one by one into a ds-1. they react differently to other pedals as compared to the originals they try to mimic.

Pero man, its not "ala TS808" kung di transparent diba? hehe

Offline hardcore misery

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 10:23:08 PM »
Has anyone tried the dd100? Its not bad if you ask me..

Check this out: http://youtube.com/watch?v=i7h7X-ziiWA  :wink:

is there a clicking sound when you turn on the delay? is it audible on the amplifier?
BOSS MetalZone II / GTX-BOSTON HeavyMetal 100 OVERKILL MOD
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,71925.0.html

Offline facundo

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 10:37:50 PM »
is there a clicking sound when you turn on the delay? is it audible on the amplifier?

Di naman ata, my cs100 has the same casing eh and i dont hear any clicking sound..  Cguro wala naman pero we cant be too sure.    :|

Offline demoboi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 10:42:24 PM »
wala rin sakin.. Sa PB100 lang when on bypass mode then you accidentally raised the gain pass 3o'clock.. may clicking sound..

Offline hardcore misery

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 06:22:56 AM »
Di naman ata, my cs100 has the same casing eh and i dont hear any clicking sound..  Cguro wala naman pero we cant be too sure.    :|

dabi kasi nung isang owner ng dd100 dito, rinig daw yung clicking sound lalo nat pag my halong overdrive.

magaantay ako ng review ng behringer reverb dito.
BOSS MetalZone II / GTX-BOSTON HeavyMetal 100 OVERKILL MOD
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,71925.0.html

Offline XFree

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 08:36:47 AM »

magaantay ako ng review ng behringer reverb dito.

bro i had tried this reverb and i would say na mejo thin sounding or halatang digitized ang effect- i spent about 5minutes fiddling with it pero di ko mapalabas halos ang gusto kong tunog...or maybe its just my taste...ambience effect lang talaga ito and mas ok pa yung digitaldelay dd100 nila which can acts as reverb at low seting also.

mas ok siguro yung digital reverb/delay version nila

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 08:53:56 AM »
I'm thinking about the SM600, Slow Motion hehe. tagal ko na naghahanap ng ganung klaseng pedal, meron na ba nun dito? :?

Offline chromeknive

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2007, 10:30:44 AM »
Pero man, its not "ala TS808" kung di transparent diba? hehe

true :-)   pero gets mo dude? parang...iba yung reaction nya to other pedals as compared to the way a real 808 reacts? but alone nga, they sound similar :-)

Offline XFree

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 12:10:34 PM »
true :-)   pero gets mo dude? parang...iba yung reaction nya to other pedals as compared to the way a real 808 reacts? but alone nga, they sound similar :-)

...oo clear transparent ang to800 but magkaiba sila ng bite/grit ng ts808 mas mellow itong behringer
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 01:15:57 PM by XFree »