hulika

Author Topic: All in one USB dongle...  (Read 2257 times)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
All in one USB dongle...
« on: January 15, 2007, 11:50:49 PM »
just posting this as an inquiry because some folks on here might know of a solution to my problem. i have several licenses that live on dongles. it would be nice if i could get one dongle to house ALL of my licenses - Cubase SX, Nuendo, other Steinberg stuff, and my PT HD iLock PACE key among other things. do you guys know of a universal storage key and had experience with it? I've already emailed Steinberg and they reported that there are some but they didn't have current compatibility reports with Digidesign dongles sharing the same lock.

thanks for any help!
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: All in one USB dongle...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 11:59:50 PM »
I know you can move all Steinberg licences to a single dongle, but frankly, that scares me coz if you lose the dongle, everything Steinberg goes to a screeching halt. I've read of some folks using a usb hub just for their dongles (somehow, that didn't come out right...  :-D ).
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 12:30:11 AM »
yes, and that is what I have done so far for Steinberg products, only. However, it would be nice to have a single dongle for all of my licenses to reduce the risk of things being bent, broken or lost. I have all of my info jotted down and registered with Digidesign and Steinberg so that base is covered. I have heard of people using a hub enclosed in a metal box to protect their program dongles and connect that to the PC or their Macs. I haven't tried it yet but I might consider it.

Kit, I think the word "dongle" was a poor choice on the programmer's part in selecting a name for program authorization keys because it always makes people snicker when someone mentions it. I know it makes me do that sometimes :-D

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 12:43:56 AM »
Kit, I think the word "dongle" was a poor choice on the programmer's part in selecting a name for program authorization keys because it always makes people snicker when someone mentions it. I know it makes me do that sometimes :-D

It's all because of :"My ding-a-ling"  LOLZ!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 12:50:25 AM »
When i first had my licensed cubase... napaglaruan kaagad ng daughter ko yung usb key at nakwento ko to sayo boss kit hehe, good thing di sya nawala at napunta lang sa ilalim ng tape deck.

lessons learned... these usb keys are super dooper valauble and "Keep out of reach of children" hehehe
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 01:23:41 AM »
Oo nga, jeps!  I remember that.  :-D Thing is, these dongles look like thumb drives... some unknowing soul might get the wrong idea and try to copy files into it. And these blasted things cost $20!

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 08:37:12 AM »
plus shipping which might cost you another 20 ... or more!

hello all :)  first post in 2007 ...

FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 08:47:19 AM »
Urban legend has it that the programmer who invented the dongle was a guy named Dongle. Or was it Don Gel?

It would be difficult to have a universal dongle because the program is set to make a call to the hardware every now and then - and every manufacturer has their own, its not a universal API obviously because that would defeat the purpose of copy-protection.

The only way to go about this problem is to hack the program so it doesn't call the dongle. I know  this was done in the past by some, and they were legit users who didn't like the hassle of hardware-based copy protection.
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 09:00:41 AM »
yeah, it may be hard to house them all in one dongle due to design differences but I would imagine someone has to already have worked with this problem. especially if they run multiple platforms like I do. I am going to keep on looking into this stuff. Hopefully, there is a viable solution.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 11:32:20 AM »
The only way to go about this problem is to hack the program so it doesn't call the dongle. I know  this was done in the past by some, and they were legit users who didn't like the hassle of hardware-based copy protection.

And some legit users usually have a "Try-before-you-buy" copy of the same program lying around to get past the dongle issue. I once read the .nfo file the H2O guys wrote about how SX3 made so many calls to the dongle that it most likely interfered with program operation, midi timing and all that. Kinda makes me glad I'm using Sonar most of the time.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 11:38:32 AM »
plus shipping which might cost you another 20 ... or more!

hello all :)  first post in 2007 ...

And a Belated Happy New Year to you, Hazel!

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 11:42:58 AM »
 :-D Oh, BDay ni Hazel pala? Happy (belated) Bday!

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 10:56:36 AM »
Abbys..
what i do with my Nuendo and Waves is i use a box that accomodates 3- 5 dongle drivers and just switches a-b or c,
 thats the kind that connects to the printer port. i dont know if it will work on your system..mine worked. you just have to switch it FAST..really really fast.!!!  :-D because sometimes it freezes.. hehehe
Music is art in sound...

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 11:52:35 AM »
an A/B/C switcher for dongles? I've seen people using a USB hub but never an A/B/C switcher. Wouldn't that require you to switch between the different ports to validate your dongles during loadup?

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 01:28:40 PM »
Abbys ,
 the dongle driver i was talking about is the one that goes to the serial port.. i am using the Belkin Switcher.. USB dongle maybe the one you are using right now...my bad.. :oops:
Music is art in sound...