hulika

Author Topic: Scalarizer Thread  (Read 257622 times)

Offline kelvinator

Re: Scalarizer Thread
« Reply #275 on: January 29, 2007, 02:58:30 PM »
hmmm.. nalilito tuloy ako if pascalarize ko na gitara ko or bili muna effects or amp.. hmmm.. ano sa tingin niyo..  :?
bummer..

Offline sigjoys

• Veteran Member
« Reply #276 on: January 29, 2007, 03:23:24 PM »
scalarized... mas mura na... and according to most who use it have positive results. mabuhay ka boy wonder BAMF!!!
Not unto us, but to YOUR name give all honour.
Ps 115.:1

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #277 on: January 29, 2007, 03:35:18 PM »
hmmm.. nalilito tuloy ako if pascalarize ko na gitara ko or bili muna effects or amp.. hmmm.. ano sa tingin niyo..  :?

With all due respect, bili ka muna ng amp. You'll appreciate the electric in the phrase "electric guitar" more. :D
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline cryingfreeman

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #278 on: January 29, 2007, 03:45:40 PM »

With all due respect, bili ka muna ng amp. You'll appreciate the electric in the phrase "electric guitar" more. :D

aray  :-D

Offline toybitz

« Reply #279 on: January 29, 2007, 03:55:45 PM »

+1
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #280 on: January 29, 2007, 03:57:42 PM »

Just telling the truth. That is, if he is reffering to an electric guitar he owns - I might have wrongly assumed that he has one when he might have been referring to his acoustic.

But really, how can one hear the difference (and thus make a good judgment of the device) between pre- and post- scalarizer installation if one doesn't have access to the guitar's amplified sound? Heck, how do you plan to use it (if it's an electric) if you don't have an amp to begin with?

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #281 on: January 29, 2007, 04:01:44 PM »

I agree totally. assuming that you do not have an amplifier yet, its high time that you buy a diezel herbert or a bogner shiva...

....NOT!  :-D cock-a-doodle-doo!!!  :-D

Keep in mind that the amp is integral, for the electrifying experience. (i was about to type electri-FRYING, ouch!)

good luck with finding solid gear (you dont have to break your bank)
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #282 on: January 29, 2007, 04:03:59 PM »

Just telling the truth. That is, if he is referring to an electric guitar he owns - I might have wrongly assumed that he has one when he might have been referring to his acoustic.

But really, how can one hear the difference (and thus make a good judgment of the device) between pre- and post- scalarizer installation if one doesn't have access to the guitar's amplified sound? Heck, how do you plan to use it (if it's an electric) if you don't have an amp to begin with?

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #283 on: January 29, 2007, 04:07:32 PM »
what exactly does this thing do and how does it effect yung wiring at signal flow ng gitara ?

Offline toybitz

« Reply #284 on: January 29, 2007, 04:12:28 PM »
what exactly does this thing do and how does it effect yung wiring at signal flow ng gitara ?

think of Popeye just swallowing a can of spinach.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #285 on: January 29, 2007, 04:13:56 PM »
Hey guys!

as for the dual-scalarizer tele i have, here's my quicky review:

The tele (an 86 mij fender, to the unfamiliar), out fitted with a set of emg t's originally sported the crystal scalarizer. thyis gave it a very acoustic tone (as veggiejoes fingers and ears witnessed). and treated the sterility that is associated with active pick ups. this axe is my "kamikaze jazz shred box, i dont mind it gathering battle scars, and whisper to it whenever i find a new ding on its being i softly whisper- "life's a b#tch... learn to f#ck it!"  :-D

anyways, i really dug the acoustic qualities, the separation and harmonic spread was fantastic, but i wanted a little bit more electricity-oomph, so we tried the metal. the woodiness increased, the glassy presence was still there but the extra mids gave the tone a real kick in the rumps. the neck pick up got more jazz smoky, bridge barked, in between was good too. it grew rock balls!

then comes micsis' text about a dual config.

having more surgery done, with classic BAMF and Sushi tech horniness (i gues creativity is in the hormones!), BAMF proceeded with the operation. results?

The only guitar I used to describe my utmost praise was Nardski's Matsumoto nylon string, for that box exhuded beauty, and tone, that exemplified the beauty of NATURE. Now, this tele had that too!
I am not exaggerating by saying that the dual scalarizer tele (which BAMF dubbed the "crystalmeta") spoke with the delicacy and gentleness of a rainforest, roared like the ocean and moved air like rolling thunder!

i got the best of both worlds: definition and detail, a full sound, a and a broad spectrum. yes, it was 3D, it was vivid! and everyone noticed that i sat in the studio a helluva lot longer than usual, and played with more sensitivity than ever. masarap...  my bakemono was growling with gratitude and pleasure. and guess what? I got to welcome the return of the twang! It was (in bruce almighty expression) GOOOOOOOD!

heck, with my god-awful sched, i look forward to getting home to play it! feel free to give it a try.

Now that is a GAS-inducing review if I ever saw one.  The descriptions of the scalarizer has actually made me rethink about what guitar I should keep.  I have a hunch it will do wonders in a 335 w/ P90s...  (tingin mo vjoe?) ;-)

I have gotta get me one of these!!!

Yup! GAS inducing! So much so that I spent Sat. night outfitting 3 more guitars with crystal sparklers.

I'm sure the sparklers can work wonders for most if not all guitars. But which to go with for your 335? Crystal or metal? Or both? Switchable? Hehehehe!

It would be nice to try them all to find out which combinations suit our individual tastes/ears. Being the tinkerer that I am, I'm already thinking of a way to rig up an unobstrusive selector switch... kaya lang nahirapan ako to work in those guitar cavities.... fumble fingers eh.

But my fumbling, bumbling attempts were worth it. It was hard to put down each guitar after putting in the crystal scalarizer. I just wanted to keep playing, even if only at low volume and clean. The strat now sounds much sweeter. I was skeptical that noiseless pickups could be improved on, but I like this Kinman set even more now! The tele sounds even better - still fat, but also clearer on the neck pup, but not shrill on the bridge pup. Tho I have to play this one some more (esp in OOP mode) so as to put my finger on what else changed for the better... (ear fatigue, plus my durned neighbor is a real kj)

I also noticed tonal changes to the Esprit. The previously slightly-muddy sounding neck pickup(Duncan-Designed '59) now sounds clear and defined. The previously sharp sounding bridge pickup (Duncan-Designed JB) gained some low-end and roundness - much more pleasant to me. Both pickups in tapped mode also gained some roundness. (Tapped neck sounds a bit similar to a strat now.) As did the OOP modes.

I can't wait to try these guitars out on a loud amp!

And I can hardly wait to try the metal scalarizers on the same guitars.

And for sure I want to try what the guitars will sound like with both scalarizer models in them! GAAAASSSSSS!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 04:24:23 PM by vegetablejoe »

Offline chito_eoi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #286 on: January 29, 2007, 04:22:00 PM »

take your time dude... wait till the SCALARAZER reach its peak price
we don't know, maybe next month pag in demand na to abroad this might cost $80 :)

mas sosyal kung sa e-bay mo cya bibilhin diba??

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #287 on: January 29, 2007, 04:31:17 PM »

take your time dude... wait till the SCALARAZER reach its peak price
we don't know, maybe next month pag in demand na to abroad this might cost $80 :)

mas sosyal kung sa e-bay mo cya bibilhin diba??

WAG KA GANYAN CHIT!!! sa nov pa ako uwi. nak ng tteng
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

Offline radimere

• Veteran Member
« Reply #288 on: January 29, 2007, 04:34:07 PM »

One is not a substitute for another, obviously. Would you get a NOS kit for your car if it doesn't even have an engine? Would you get the NOS kit if your car has a reconditioned jeepney engine?

In short, work on your basic rig first before enhancing it.

Offline igutz

« Reply #289 on: January 29, 2007, 04:35:40 PM »
just got my guitar scalarized last saturday c/o micsis. panalo!  :evil:

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #290 on: January 29, 2007, 04:38:40 PM »

any technical explanation ?

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #291 on: January 29, 2007, 04:39:01 PM »
sir kelvinator,
I would rather presume you mean to upgrade to a better amp. Or, if you don't have one yet, you at least currently have access to amps of friends or at places you gig/play. And are therefore familiar with your guitar's stock tone/s.

I would then therefore say go for the scalarizer first, because:
1. it is a bang for the buck modification that is affordable and therefore doable immediately; and
2. the scalarizer mod may (or may not) affect your final choice of amp afterwards... in terms of whether you will go with or can make do with something that is brighter or warmer? bigger or smaller? louder or quieter?

just IMHO po... Good luck, bro...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 04:42:55 PM by vegetablejoe »

Offline oist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #292 on: January 29, 2007, 05:52:39 PM »
hmm.. i'll buy another guitar and have it scalarized.. :-D

yeah!!

Offline rennell

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #293 on: January 29, 2007, 06:03:29 PM »
sino po malapit na nagbebenta nitong scalarizer dito sa makati or sa UST? ano po address nyo para po mapuntahan ko?

Offline reps

« Reply #294 on: January 29, 2007, 09:21:06 PM »
Will it work with Kramer Quadrails? I'm just curious. hehe..  :-D
feedback is your friend

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #295 on: January 29, 2007, 09:26:49 PM »
BAMF, when can I drop by with my Randall with 4 modules?  Gonna bring my Oscar Schmidt OE30 and my G&L S-500.  Maybe my SG na rin.  Gusto ko rin sana with the other folks here.  Oas care to come?

Offline ejbasses

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #296 on: January 29, 2007, 09:50:32 PM »

+1
analog signal processing equipment
Read My Blog! http://kaliKotaudio.blogspot.com
Like my Facebook Page! http://www.facebook.com/KalikotAudio

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #297 on: January 29, 2007, 10:10:54 PM »

+1

Si Tesla raw inspiration, isa-isahin niyo na lang patents ni Tesla.  Eto isang suspect: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bifilar_coil 

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #298 on: January 30, 2007, 12:12:40 AM »
another experiment we tried this afternoon was to scalarized the drums. at first it was not really planned, i only supposed to change the drums skin and heads of the snare then i asked BAMF what will be the effect if ill try it with the snare drum.

Both of us were really surpised when i pond the snare with the acoustic scalarizer attached on the side of the shell. the sound became more wide and round. i still dont know the effect of this thing during recording.

PEACE!
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline plugzzzz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #299 on: January 30, 2007, 12:22:58 AM »
BAMF, when can I drop by with my Randall with 4 modules?  Gonna bring my Oscar Schmidt OE30 and my G&L S-500.  Maybe my SG na rin.  Gusto ko rin sana with the other folks here.  Oas care to come?

ayuz to when to gusto ko makarinig ng randall amp curious lang akoh ito ba yung RM model
Kapag merong tanong o ikay naguguluhan igoogle mo

PLUGELECTRONIC'S RECTORIZER