hulika

Author Topic: Passion? or Priorities?  (Read 3515 times)

Offline bulog

• Veteran Member
Passion? or Priorities?
« on: February 19, 2007, 01:03:18 PM »
I was in a band called "JIG"and we play compos of mostly pop-friendly-rock tunes and covers from John Mayer to Dave Matthews.  We get together every Sundays for rehearsal and planning.  We've also been playin recently at 70's Bistro fronting Parokya ni Edgar, but I know all of u guys know that front acting a band means no budget right? For exposure purposes only.

Playing drums and everything that involves music is my passion, I love it more than anything else.

But just to check my priorities, I am a family man, so basically gigging for free won't pay our rent, won't give us food, tuition fee for my daughter, etc.

So last January I decided to leave the band and start focusing more on my priorities.  I have a job now and I started a sideline at our house doing computer services for extra income. And on Sundays i spend my time with my family.  I got no room for a band now (I think?)

But I really missed jamming and playing in a band...somethings not right...somethings missing.

Is my decision wrong in leaving the band and start focusing on my priorities?

Thanks for giving time to read this guys.

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Passion? or Priorities?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 01:54:04 PM »
i think you made the right decision.
i mean, life isnt always doing what you want to do. sometimes you gotta do what you have to do.

Offline jpmb

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 03:59:41 PM »
you may not play for a band right now but im sure your drumming instict will always be there..just find time even just once in a while to pound and practice on the drums bro... :mrgreen:..let the groove stay in yourself... :mrgreen:

Offline Kin

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 04:01:27 PM »
i think you made the right decision.
i mean, life isnt always doing what you want to do. sometimes you gotta do what you have to do.

+1.

You know your priorities so family definitely comes first.
Your family will be your next and last passion.

And hindi mo naman kailangan talaga tumigil sa pag-drums or playing music.
Yun nga lang, talagang madalang na lang ang involvement mo when it comes to playing/making music.
Carpe Diem

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 04:49:20 PM »
Your role as husband and a father is the most important aspect of all. Its how people base their judgements on others. You can be a good drummer anytime later.But will never become a good father if you miss the time.

"Play in time, and play for the music" sabi nga nating mga drummers. Your time is about your growing child as of now,so dont miss a beat; and music is your family life. Play it right,bro.

Peace!  :mrgreen:

So Be It.

Offline toybitz

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 05:05:17 PM »
priorities siyempre.

you made the right decision and the right move.

you can try pounding the skins when you're free though. or play drums in a church.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 06:40:03 PM »
Kung may chance na pagsabayin mo why not? pero priorities are first before passion. good for you , you have a job to support your family. hindi tulad ng iba na pinipilit pa rin magbanda kahit di kaya ng oras para sa family. Family always comes first. Never be selfish to your family. Pero the passion will always be there no matter what. siguro naninibago ka lang ngayon pero pag tumagal, magkakaroon ka pa rin ng time....
Drummer / Keyboardist
PrimeApes / Chuckoy Vicuņa Combo
https://soundcloud.com/daemon-keys

Offline glynminded

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 01:50:17 AM »
Priorities! Right now I'm a college student, I have a band and I'm really playing whenever I gat the chance kasi tanggap ko na... pagkagraduate ko... iiwan ko na pagbabanda... literally... pupunta na ako sa ibang lugar eh ehehehehe....
I didn\'t know you can watch dreams in a theater?!

Offline bangbus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 02:17:26 AM »
you're on the right track man. you really gotta do what you gotta do. but you really dont have to be in a band to enjoy music or drumming. drumming would have to take a step back for now and deal with life's immediate yearnings but maybe later on even as a hobby or sideline, if you can find the time, go and yield to what you really want.

i can somehow relate to your situation man, in a slightly different way that is, since im still single. as i was growing up i really wanted to be a career drummer but coming from a very patriarchal family that wanted me and the rest of my siblings to dwell into business instead prevented me from achievin my initial plan, my parents were not at all enthusiastic or even supportive of the idea that i take formal drum tuition. instead they pushed me to excell in other areas of academics instead such as business, eco and blah blah. i hated the idea at first but then i realised it was all for my own good and one day coz of it, i would be able to buy all the musical stuff i need as well as put myself through drum school. nonetheless, i turned out to be a frustrated drummer instead and as expected. currently however, with hardwork and God's Constant Blessings, i am able to afford my own drum stuff and take up lessons. and although im not a career drummer but a home drummer, i still am a drummer at heart will never give up this hobby of mine. i now see it as an outlet where i can simply express my frustrations and have a glimpse at what might have been. i guess drumming on the side as hobby and working majority of the time works for me, and maybe it will for you too.

to cut the dramatics, im pretty sure things will work out well for you and your family coz of your decision to be the good provider that you are. however, you can always yield to your wants unconventionaly and turn it into a win-win situation.

i dont know if i said it well but i hope it'll help as i instinctively typed what crossed my mind that instant when i read your entry. Keep your head up bro!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 05:03:17 AM »
Personally, I believe passion and priorities can co-exist.

I remember a Mike Portnoy interview that I read in an old Modern Drummer issue.  He mentioned about balancing his high-profile musical career with his family time.  He's a professional musician and a famous prog-rock drumming hero, yet he somehow finds ways to balance quality time with his loved ones.  When he's not on tour or in the studio, he spends most of his time at home.  When needed, he even takes his family to their concerts and tours.

Mike Portnoy said that family needs 100% commitment.  And so does his musical career.  He can't give up any of that.  So he worked it out and find ways for it to co-exist.

It's not that I'm comparing my lifestyle with Mighty Mike.  Hopefully, I'll be able to make a good living as a professional musician for a good number of years.  And I've already somehow build up my career in music, so I cannot just give it up easily.  Someday, I'll be having my own family too.  So, I need to make things work.  If Mike can make it work (consider his high-profile status and his very tight sked), I think we can too.  So therefore, for me, failure is not an option.  I need to keep pushing myself, persist, continue developing, and always do my best.

It seems that I somehow have a different response compared to previous replies, it's because I happen to be a full-time professional musician.  So I hope you guys understand my take on this topic.

8-)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 05:09:40 AM by drumster »

Offline rasta_gopz

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 05:40:35 AM »
ok lang yan bro ganyan din ako
need cash hehehe
pero pag swerte meron naman career sa music and d pay is good at d same time ur doing wat u love
tiis lang cguro darating din yung oportunity and wen it comes grab it

Offline Miggleness

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 07:24:36 AM »
sadly, with age comes greater responsibility.  Unless na lang mayaman ka nga that you don't need to work 40+ hours a week.

Offline otep

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 09:16:24 AM »
for me priorities pa din talaga...

like me, ako talga gusto ko mag drums araw araw, kaso my hectic sched sa school ang kelangan ko unahin.

saka tama si sir bangbus, na mas maganda naman kung priorities muna, i really liked how he said on how did he come up buying his own drum stuffs, and we know how good his drum stuffs are..

so basically for me, although studying is hard, im still pursuing to finish my studies so lately when im financially stable, i can put some money aside for my hobby... even if i can't be in a band and get famous, kahit home drummer lang, i know my heart for drumming is still with me...

actually, it's hard for me to come up with my own drumming stuff, sometimes i even dump myself in debt just to get my stuffs...

kaya, im motivated talga to finish my studies, coz i have a lot of plans for my hobby...

to sir bangbus and other fellas here, na inspire din ako sa mga sinabi nyo and lalo ako na motivate sa mga sinabi nyo... tnx guys...

Offline bulog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 09:17:53 AM »
Thanks guys!

Yeah, I'm working hard for my family, and my family have been very supportive when it comes to me and my band.

So even if I have go gigging again I know that they understand it. 

But as I've said right now my priority is my family & my job.

But I really missed playing....yeah maybe once in a while I'll go bang a drum hehe.

Thanks again guys!!!

Offline jpmb

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 09:36:33 AM »
hey jig, im sure you will bang on the drums again soon.once a drummer always a drummer...

bro even if im the pearl/sabian head here..im still a regular employee like others...i need to wake up early in the morning, face evryday traffic that sucks...work more than 8hrs a day..and sacrifice my drumming time..there are even gigs that im forced to turn down because i need to get enough sleep during night time..and this are priorities man..the one who pays my bills and put food on my table..My only consolation now is my Drumskul JIHAD where i can play all day drumming on a weekend...this is where i take out all the stress i had during weekdays from work...cheers man.. :evil:

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
Thanks guys!

Yeah, I'm working hard for my family, and my family have been very supportive when it comes to me and my band.

So even if I have go gigging again I know that they understand it. 

But as I've said right now my priority is my family & my job.

But I really missed playing....yeah maybe once in a while I'll go bang a drum hehe.

Thanks again guys!!!

attend ka na lang sa mga mini-eb, that way, you wont miss drumming that much  :-D

nO RLY

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 10:10:22 AM »
Your role as husband and a father is the most important aspect of all. Its how people base their judgements on others. You can be a good drummer anytime later.But will never become a good father if you miss the time.

"Play in time, and play for the music" sabi nga nating mga drummers. Your time is about your growing child as of now,so dont miss a beat; and music is your family life. Play it right,bro.

Peace!  :mrgreen:

i agree.. you should focus on your family first, then you could jam with your band just for recreation. it's your duty to take care of your family. so just spend time with them, then have a good job so that you could support your family. you could always have fun playing the drums even when you have a tight schedule. upo ka lang tapos tugtog ka na.. :-D you couldn't stop your passion. i could tell you that. but i think you have to do your responsibilities and duties first..

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 10:16:40 AM »
Hindi na nga muna ako mag-aasawa!  :-D

nO RLY

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 10:33:01 AM »
Hindi na nga muna ako mag-aasawa!  :-D
haha, hirap nun! kasi ang drummers lagi nakakakuha ng mga girls. :lol: kung passion mo talaga mag.music, eh di go lang tayo! pero balance lang talaga kailangan diyan..

Offline jpmb

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 10:42:18 AM »
haha..tama ka dyan hahaha...

si gep di mag aasawa?eh may dala ka nga one bouquet of flowers nun last eb eh..loverboy na loverboy ang dating mo hahaha :lol:

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 10:51:44 AM »
Ay hindi ko pala pinakilala sa inyo gf ko no? Hehe.

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 05:19:25 PM »
Gep, masinsinang pag-iintindi lang ng misis mo ang kelangan. Ako nga medyo masya kasi finally, pinagbigyan ako ng misis ko to go for a band career habang wala pang oppurtunity na magkastable job.

Here's what we've talked about (take note, vocals rin ang misis ko)

I have observed since last year na puro oppurtunities sa music(show band and stuff) ang dumarating and marami kaming tinalikuran and instead of taking it, we just sat around the house watching endless anime. Nakakainis. And then, this year seems to be ganon pa rin oppurtunities na dumarating. Kaya pinag-usapan namin. What if we grab some of this temporarily habang naghahanap ng stable job. Kasi sayang oras sabi ko. And yun, pumayag rin sya. Sometimes you have to make them see the picture before they realize it....
Drummer / Keyboardist
PrimeApes / Chuckoy Vicuņa Combo
https://soundcloud.com/daemon-keys