hulika

Author Topic: On Buying Guitars  (Read 3936 times)

Offline chernandez1

On Buying Guitars
« on: April 29, 2015, 07:58:39 PM »
How do you guys shop for guitar? Do you buy it online, or shipped? I'm planning to upgrade my gear, and I'm leaning towards ordering online, but I just wanted to hear your inputs since you guys are really really helpful.

I'm looking to replace my trusty RJ lp copy for an Epi Custom (Ebony), and I'm guessing my only options is online.

Some people say that it's best to play the guitars first and buy the one that speaks to you, but where can you do that here in the Philippines? Where are the best places to go to shop electric guitars here?

Thanks!

PS: Let me know if I'm in the wrong forum. hehe
If there are encounters, there are partings as well

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: On Buying Guitars
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 08:02:41 PM »
How do you guys shop for guitar? Do you buy it online, or shipped? I'm planning to upgrade my gear, and I'm leaning towards ordering online, but I just wanted to hear your inputs since you guys are really really helpful.

I'm looking to replace my trusty RJ lp copy for an Epi Custom (Ebony), and I'm guessing my only options is online.

Some people say that it's best to play the guitars first and buy the one that speaks to you, but where can you do that here in the Philippines? Where are the best places to go to shop electric guitars here?

Thanks!

PS: Let me know if I'm in the wrong forum. hehe

Try mo kay Guitar Pusher sa classifieds or sa Crescendo
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline chernandez1

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 08:04:47 PM »
I'm actually eyeing Guitar Pusher. Hehe. But I'm thinking, what if I ordered a guitar, but then when I tried it out, I don't like the feel of it? Those guitars are drop dead gorgeous anyway, so maybe i'm overthinking. lol

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 08:16:28 PM »
I'm actually eyeing Guitar Pusher. Hehe. But I'm thinking, what if I ordered a guitar, but then when I tried it out, I don't like the feel of it? Those guitars are drop dead gorgeous anyway, so maybe i'm overthinking. lol

try the closest guitar you can get your hands on. maybe Guitar Pusher has some closely similar guitars on stock you may be able to try. Or go to Crescendo then order from Guitar Pusher. which is not good manners by the way, but if you really wanna support one shop over the other and still get to try stuff out thats what you'll get to do

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 08:18:56 PM »
are you ok with used gear? bang for buck..and you can go test it as well..
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 08:27:39 PM »
are you ok with used gear? bang for buck..and you can go test it as well..

and that too. parang kotse ang gear, bang for buck pag second hand!

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 08:47:28 PM »
or you can even find new fender american standards (with factory stickers etc) or Gisbson les paul studios..sa classifieds for just around 30-40k..
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline chernandez1

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 09:31:30 PM »
I'm totally go for used gears. Haven't found one here that offers the stuff I'm looking for. But yeah. Also, do you guys know some shops that sells used gears? I think I can start from there right? or No. #sobrangnoob haha

Offline ios

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 12:39:58 AM »
ingat lang sa mga fake na epi. buying used gear is very cost efficient but a bit risky.

good luck sir

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 09:58:31 AM »
these days, with China around, even new guitars are risky  :lol: :lol: :lol:

there's nothing wrong with used gear. many of the good stuff are used. price is not the only factor. you also consider aging and probability -- sa dami dami ng used, im sure you'll find an okay guitar.

in a new guitar, the instrument will still have to learn how to vibrate as one. kaya may binibili na apparatus....yung vibrator

now, imagine this --US vintage guitars are definitely used but many people go gaga over them..

in the net you have used boutique guitars which frequently change hands... they're still good but most probably the did not meet the person's specs.

i've noticed that as years go by, the wood they use in guitars are becoming cheaper and cheaper....farm produced wood. therefore many used guitars are more resonant and woody. newer ones just sound different....which is a deal breaker for many people including yours truly.

then there are the Japanese vintage guitars...if you get to find a good one, it will blow many american standard level guitars...and even the best ones MIJs will eat SOME custom shops and historics....but not the best of them. some lang ha.

so if tone is what you're after, going the used path may be the better path.

but there are people who puts beauty over tone. ika nga ng close friend ko, pag dating sa gitara, gusto niya ng "virgin" at hindi yung kung sino sino na ang humawak.

yes you can find good ones in modern guitars, but you'll have to go through a lot of testing.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 11:54:27 AM »
siguro a part of the magic of buying used guitars is not only about the quality of the material and its "mellowness" with age, but also the simple fact that those guitars are already set up to play well. It may not be your setup, but it's gone through lots of adjustments to sound well for a certain player. With a virgin guitar, you'd need to find the suitable configuration with lots of setups and tests and gigs to just get the guitar to sound its best. With a second hand guitar, you're already halfway there.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 12:07:47 PM »
siguro a part of the magic of buying used guitars is not only about the quality of the material and its "mellowness" with age, but also the simple fact that those guitars are already set up to play well. It may not be your setup, but it's gone through lots of adjustments to sound well for a certain player. With a virgin guitar, you'd need to find the suitable configuration with lots of setups and tests and gigs to just get the guitar to sound its best. With a second hand guitar, you're already halfway there.

players guitars are the best... if youve got a chance to find players #1's up for sale..especially from really good and experienced players...regardless of the condition or wear...
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 12:17:13 PM »
players guitars are the best... if youve got a chance to find players #1's up for sale..especially from really good and experienced players...regardless of the condition or wear...

indeed. yung iba kasi ang tingin, ay may wear na yan, may issues, isesestup ko pa. pero dapat ang tingin dyan parang pag may nakita ka na magaling na player tapos sabi  mo "pahiram!" tapos wow ang swabeeeee tapos binayaran mo for keeps  :lol:

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 12:47:47 PM »
indeed. yung iba kasi ang tingin, ay may wear na yan, may issues, isesestup ko pa. pero dapat ang tingin dyan parang pag may nakita ka na magaling na player tapos sabi  mo "pahiram!" tapos wow ang swabeeeee tapos binayaran mo for keeps  :lol:

may isa akong suki dati ng pedals at guitar na australian...player siya..at gear head..panalo lahat ng mga dinidipose niya..and mura pa..kasi gusto lang niya dispose kasi palipat lipat siya ng hotel na tinutugtugan..

*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *

Offline chernandez1

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2015, 10:21:27 PM »
Thanks guys! I appreciate the insights. Unfortunately, I can't go all out sa gastos. Magagalit si boss, and i'm planning to buy on a budget range of 20-35, depends. Im just playing on our church, no large gigs and stuff, but I'd like to get the best if possible, since I'm serving God as well.

Any tips? Thanks!

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2015, 10:36:20 PM »
a lot of good guitarists come from Churches.

you see ang gigging musician, yun ang laging sumasabak sa "laban" ika nga. they know every situation very well -- yung mga problems that come with environment a, b, c, d etc...

and on a limited budget, they have to make things work.

therefore gigging musicians are very particular with how their guitar sound. merong gitara maganda lang sa store at maganda lang sa bedroom. pero pag dating sa live, panget. meron naman maganda sa live, hindi naman maganda sa studio. and so on and so forth. hence normal lang sa musician mag palit ng palit ng guitar --- continuous process yan sa paghahanap ng one specific guitar that will be good for all situations.

parang singer lang yan, yung gitarang kaya kumanta ng ibat ibang kanta, ibat ibang octave at kayang mag adjust etc etc...   ang gitarang ganun, yun ang players guitar. hindi ka ipapahiya ng gitarang ganun.

and sa 20-35k meron yan. they MAY not sound as rich as the high end ones, BUT hindi ka ipapahiya ng mga yun lalo na kung may character.

for me, enjoyment din ang habol ko.  aanhin ko ang gwapong gitara na bago, kung dinig ko naman kapangitan. mas nag eenjoy ako sa players guitar na bugbog ang itsura. pero pag hinahawakan mo eh parang time stops dahil enjoy na enjoy mo yung pag play.

if you get to find a players guitar....you are more than half way there imho.

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 04:57:22 AM »
Any tips? Thanks!

If you are buying a guitar online, used or brand new, set aside some money so you can send the guitar to a luthier for a proper setup. Be sure to have the following items done

- Fret level / crown
- Intonation / bridge height adjustment
- Truss rod adjustment
- Pickup height adjustment

Worst case scenario of buying a guitar online is receiving a guitar with a twisted neck and/or broken truss rod. Guitar electronics can be fixed easily by anyone who knows how to solder but the cost of fixing a warped/twisted neck is sometimes much more expensive than the guitar itself.

Fender USA is the worst in my experience when it comes to broken truss rods. While many will vouch for the feel and tone of a one piece neck, 3 or 5 piece necks (like what Ibanez is offering) is much more stable and stiff, resistant to twisting and warping.

Also stay away with all maple necks. These necks tend to twist more often than necks with rosewood/ebony fingerboards.
nuno : n4 2.0 n4esa, n4vintage, n4 silver sparkle, n5, n6, n7, n8esa
etc : yjm, axis, jp6, jpxi, jp12, jp13, lp 58 vos, lp 57 ri, lp standard, lp trad, am strat, am tele deluxe, jem7v, uv777, rg prestige, j custom, deluxe reverb, vai legacy, jcm900, axefx

Offline KennyKen

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 07:22:42 AM »
Guitars are like cars, pag nag depreciate, malaki ... so you get more out of your money sa mga used ones....yung na-save mo, ibili mo na lang ng pick-ups or ilaan mo fretwork, whichever you fancy.

''Beat-up'' guitars look better in my eyes imho...

Offline IncX

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 08:16:23 AM »
i would get used guitars in the classifieds, or even FB selling groups from known forumers/collectors/GAS addicts (who usually have 5 or more guitars). those guys have good tastes, and whatever is "so-so" for them is awesome for most people.

there is no way in the world i am going to get any guitar brand new (online or local). unlike basses, there are just too many nice guitars available on the market. besides, i don't play guitar onstage and stuff like specific model, year and color does not bother me.

the only guitars i got online were some cheesy spiky metal guitars (not recommended), and a very good used Greco from Japan. now, if i were gonna get an old Greco, i would get it from used guitar dealers in japan with a solid feedback. locally, its hard to get a Greco or a Tokai, because you have to do your research on it to be sure it is MIJ and one belonging from the good era of japanese guitars. or well, you could also get one from Tom the German... as much as i am not a fan of his business style, you can be assured of the guitar's authenticity because you can go out there and play the guitar yourself and even pit it against other stuff he is selling.

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 08:23:51 AM »
...minsan maganda din maraming tinatry na guitars at doon mo din makikita kung saan ka hihiyang

hiyang in the sense na yun yung type ng guitar model na swak sa iyo....kung saan ka gagaling at kung saan ma express mo ang sarili mo ng mabuti

yung iba at home na sa Les Paul

yung iba, strat ay para sa kanila

and so on...

Offline KennyKen

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2015, 11:23:26 AM »
...minsan maganda din maraming tinatry na guitars at doon mo din makikita kung saan ka hihiyang

hiyang in the sense na yun yung type ng guitar model na swak sa iyo....kung saan ka gagaling at kung saan ma express mo ang sarili mo ng mabuti

yung iba at home na sa Les Paul

yung iba, strat ay para sa kanila

and so on...

This I have to agree

If one is serious about playing a guitar, it is always advantageous to try multiple guitars...Marami kasing variables kung ano ang hiyang sa yo, fret size, fret number (21 vs 22 vs 24) ,neck thickness, the type of bridge, pick-up type (humbucker vs single coil, hot vs medium output) etc etc

Offline chernandez1

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2015, 12:17:21 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm kind of into LP already. given the sound of the humbucker with the warmth of the LP body, i think it's what fits me. Also, it's very versatile with what's my purpose. So yun. Again, ang cool ng forum na to. really helpful! I'll check Tom, and other FS as well.

Thanks!