hulika

Author Topic: should i get a mac  (Read 3418 times)

Offline aden

should i get a mac
« on: November 26, 2006, 02:55:54 PM »
medyo matagal ko na pinag iisipan if i will switch to mac...i need your opinions....

eto ung nakita kong hardware na mukhang ok...

imac 17" 2.0 GHz intel core 2 duo
1gb ddr2
160 gb drive space
superdrive
ati radeon x1600
2XFirewire
3XUSB
OS X v10.4 ung os

price around 80K

ano ung pros and cons? would it be better if i stick to windows?

if i decided to get a mac, pano ba ko mag uupgrade ng memory? anong klase memory gamit ng imac?

thanks

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: should i get a mac
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 03:08:02 PM »
medyo matagal ko na pinag iisipan if i will switch to mac...i need your opinions....

eto ung nakita kong hardware na mukhang ok...

imac 17" 2.0 GHz intel core 2 duo
1gb ddr2
160 gb drive space
superdrive
ati radeon x1600
2XFirewire
3XUSB
OS X v10.4 ung os

price around 80K

ano ung pros and cons? would it be better if i stick to windows?

if i decided to get a mac, pano ba ko mag uupgrade ng memory? anong klase memory gamit ng imac?

thanks

sir are you upgrading from Windows to MAC for you DAW? if yes...i wouldnt say its highly recommended pero its a good move coz all applications runs in 64bit
Kasi personally i would rather stick to PC to coz its easier to upgrade and "MUCH CHEAPER".
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 01:38:48 AM by edgeofillusion-jepoy »
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline mariuo

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 01:13:08 AM »
your hardware would be useless if you dont how to use the software. yun lang

Offline aden

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 11:17:52 AM »
i'll be using the machine for my DAW and video editing thingy...and games...haha

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 11:23:58 AM »
to Mac or not checklist
- check your DAW if supported on Macs
- Mac is stable for DAWs
- same for video, Macs come with software that include GarageBand, iMovie
- Mac is generally easy to use

go with a MacPro, worth the price difference vs an iMac.

hope this helps.

Gerry

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 12:11:54 PM »
di ko rerecommend you to buy one for video editing. if your thinking you wanna use final cut pro or avid for video editing... think twice... the price for those video applications are the same with adobe premiere BUT!!! adobe premiere can [size=150pt]do more[/size] stuff lalo na with Adobe Premiere 2.0. Thats why im still sticking with the PC. Im a video editor by profession pala. Adobe Premiere doesnt run on macs na coz daming kalabang application such as avid and final cut pro who tied up with mac

With re: DAW Applications... ive tried using a mac na sa friends house ko he has a G5 machine and yes ang ganda coz halos 0 na yata yung latecy. Mac runs on 64bit unlike on windows most of the applications runs on 32 bit. Kahit Processor mo  eh 64bit at Windows XP64 or Windows Vista pa sya. BUT eventhough DAW Apps still runs 32bit on windows wala namang kaso eh. taasan mo lang ram mo, no  other applications running on your windows on the background while in session of recording and mixing.... solve solve na! much cheaper pa ang PC :)

PEACE!!!

Offline aden

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 12:21:47 PM »
mmm...thanks sa info sir...

ndi pla pwede ung adobe sa mac...what about vista? ok ba sya sa premiere? anong mga daw na ung na try nyo with vista?

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 12:41:56 PM »
mmm...thanks sa info sir...

ndi pla pwede ung adobe sa mac...what about vista? ok ba sya sa premiere? anong mga daw na ung na try nyo with vista?

VISTA is still on its beta stages thats why wala pa rin ako tiwala. Like WindowsXP was 1st released... i waited for the 1st service pack to be released before i actually installed it. I read that VISTA is releasing 2 types din x86(64 bit) and the standard 32bit... why?... like what i said previously, most of the applications on windows are still running on 32 bit. Most software developers for windows are still experimenting to have their applications run on 64 bit.

PEACE!

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 03:02:02 PM »
I've got 2 Macs: a MacBook and a G5. Theyre alright. Personally, I dont feel one is different than the other, or necessarily better probbaly because I've worked on both for so long. As long as you keep your DAW in good shape, you ought to be fine with what you have. PCs get a lot of flack for not being easier to use than Macs - bah - they're all the same. What I don't get is why Apply is bashing PCs, yet in the end, they ended up switching to an Intel platform AND the new MAcbooks are, in part, made by Asus, a PC hardware company.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline DenceDaniel

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 04:29:51 PM »
I highly recommend u buying Mac... Stability, and zero chance of getting a virus... I have a Mac Book Pro core 2 duo and its freaking fast!!! When it comes to squeezing all the power.. But the only thing it runs very hot though...  Basta maraming pinagkaiba ang Pc sa Mac! Ofcourse, and Mac is a little bit forward and cutting edge tech... Specially they will coming out with Leopard next in 64 bit computing.. Nice App lahat ng mac... Like ung video nalang imovie, idvd, photoboot is cool very cool... And lotsa more check out some mac in ur area kung meron, go to rockwell un lang alam kong meron... ayt then..

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 05:12:15 PM »
I highly recommend u buying Mac... Stability, and zero chance of getting a virus... I have a Mac Book Pro core 2 duo and its freaking fast!!! When it comes to squeezing all the power.. But the only thing it runs very hot though...  Basta maraming pinagkaiba ang Pc sa Mac! Ofcourse, and Mac is a little bit forward and cutting edge tech... Specially they will coming out with Leopard next in 64 bit computing.. Nice App lahat ng mac... Like ung video nalang imovie, idvd, photoboot is cool very cool... And lotsa more check out some mac in ur area kung meron, go to rockwell un lang alam kong meron... ayt then..

yes imovie is good its actually a lower version of final cut pro.
these are my points on this:

1. going PRO on video editing - nowadawys pc based applications is better but if your gonna do film do it with avid(mac based)
2. going PRO on DAW - MAC base is better. low on latency and faster rendering. With PC base can almost do the same as what MAC DAW can do.

OT: sir DenceDaniel all applications you mentioned arent for PRO Stuffs

Welcome po sa Philmusic DenceDaniel
PEACE!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 05:34:46 PM »
Macs and PCs are both tools to a achieve a common end.

I don't believe in the hype that a Mac is more stable. It crashes just the same if you push it hard enough. A PC can be just as stable if you research your components and build them to a standard. The thing that puts me off with a Mac is it's cost. For the cost of a complete Mac setup here, I could probably build 2 C2D machines and have enough spare cash for some M-Audio interfaces.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline VinceP

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 06:40:43 PM »
Macs and PCs are both tools to a achieve a common end.

I don't believe in the hype that a Mac is more stable. It crashes just the same if you push it hard enough. A PC can be just as stable if you research your components and build them to a standard. The thing that puts me off with a Mac is it's cost. For the cost of a complete Mac setup here, I could probably build 2 C2D machines and have enough spare cash for some M-Audio interfaces.

I agree with KitC here.  Nothing against a Mac (coz I use one anyway), but it runs pretty much the same as your average PC.  To upgrade a Mac with memory costs an arm and a leg and sometimes your left ear.  The other peripheral's costs are also very prohibitive.  I appreciate it's drag and drop funcionalities.  If you're using PT v7, it actually offers the same drag and drop functions, except importing from a CD. 

I tried my friend's Core Duo system with a PT7 LE and it just processed rings around my G5 Dual Core.  The fades rendered faster, it imported faster, it didn't scream for the Increase H/W Buffer Size thing as much even with tons of softsynths and RTAS plugs. 

Offline nongx

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 08:55:58 PM »
im using mac in the office, and PC at home
the good thing of MAc is not mush expose to the virus
like other than PC. and mac is users friendly

in my openion MAC better, but  again your going to buy software
for mac but another extra $$ from your pocket.

:-D
nongx

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 01:07:12 AM »
true enough nongx.

i got nothing against mac pero kung specs ng pc mo and cguro if only windows applications run on 64 bit using windows64 cguro tapatan na ang performance neto. AND MAS MURA PA!

Offline spazzkid

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 01:13:33 AM »
PCs and MACs are both great platforms for DAW and video editing. if youre gonna play games, i suggest you go the PC route as the newest games are always released there first. Also if youre trying to upgrade parts/components, its easier to find cheap parts for pc.

my advise: if you can afford the MAC, go for it!

Offline aden

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 01:30:53 AM »
slamat mga sir...

medyo 2mingin ako sa net and i found out that there is a way to run mac os natively on a pc...may naka subok na ba d2 nun?

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 03:01:02 PM »
slamat mga sir...

medyo 2mingin ako sa net and i found out that there is a way to run mac os natively on a pc...may naka subok na ba d2 nun?

yeah ive tried it... using pear pc. basically its like running a virtual OS coz pearpc is running on window. you wont feel the difference IF you have atleast 2gb of RAM

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2006, 11:57:10 PM »
Using emulators have a tendency to be resource intensive as well as problematic with drivers. Some applications also run slower within an emulated OS as compared to a true OS/machine combination. Part of the problem involves the shared /divided ram allocations; you ARE using the ram twice for XP and pearpc so you are bound to have reduced performance. IMO, if you are using ram intensive applications, the trade-off isn't worth it.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2006, 12:35:13 AM »
Kit is right. Pcs and Macs are all parts of a means to an end which is why I don't get the sense of the Mac vs. PC war. Viruses? Now, if I wrote a virus, why would I write a virus for a platform that has less users? Of course Macs would have less viruses simply because they have less users compared to PCs! As long as you know your computer, have a good sense of how to properly maintain your files, and don't surf "questionable sites," then you should be fine. I don't have viruses on my PC but I still run Spybot in case something does get through. I have never had a case of my PC crashing due to a BSOD, rather crashes are hardware related like a bad HD going kaput.

I haven't had my Core 2 Duo setup running yet but I am excited to see what it can do.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2006, 12:43:38 AM »
I agree with abyss.

cguro the only thing hinders me getting a desktop mac is the price and the softwares... unlike the PC sobrang kalat ang pirated. MAHAL KASI EH!!! hehehe

note: i have an ibook pero luma na sya hehe

Offline redcomet_m

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2006, 02:06:05 PM »
sir there are a lot of cheap 2nd hand desktop macs out there, so i do not believe that macs are generally expensive. Pair a mac against a branded desktop and youll get something a little less or more than a macs price but its not very far fetched.

The only thing that edges win pc's against a mac is cloning. Id like to ask you, would u buy a Dell, Alienware or BOXX workstation or just assemble something na kapareho ng specs nya? I think you know and i know the answer.

All personal computers crash, get a virus or break down. Macs are no exception. Yung OSX lang talaga and reason why i stick to the mac for anything my creative juices' aspire. Napuno lang talaga ako sa Windows OS.

Premiere, Final Cut, Logic or what not, its not the software its the user. Its just a matter of personal preference.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2006, 02:16:07 PM »
Its just a matter of personal preference.

I agree. Use what works best for you. In truth, one should choose the software FIRST, then the computer to run it SECOND. It all boils down to what you are comfortable with. I admit I come from a pc background, and one of my biggest consternations with a Mac is why Steve Jobs insists that one button on a standard mouse is enough (that new Mighty Mouse is sexy, though... damn expensive too at $69!).

Offline mariuo

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2006, 02:26:00 PM »
the mighty mouse has in fact two buttons i think. it just looks like it has one. just sharing hehe

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2006, 03:17:10 PM »
Actually, it has 4.  :-o I was referring to the standard 'mice' that come with macs; the Mighty Mouse is still sexy, though. If there's one thing Jobs does well, he knows how to give a piece of computer technology sex appeal.