hulika

Author Topic: SLAPSHOCK-SILENCE  (Read 1736 times)

Offline Mustspit

• Veteran Member
SLAPSHOCK-SILENCE
« on: September 14, 2006, 03:39:23 PM »

THIS BAND JUST GETS BETTER AND BETTER

Hot off their rebirth into heavy metal, via their previous disc Novena,
and growing further away from the nu metal tag they acquired, being one-third of the biggest genre-triumverate the country has ever seen, Slapshock has the uncanny ability to prove everybody wrong; when audiences thought they were mere copycats of a style destined for an early doom, they reinvented their sound. When audiences thought they would'nt last in a music industry riddled with the trappings of trend-based marketing and hype, they released album after album during the weirdest of times: during the pogi-rock explosion, the emo-explosion and well, now, during the "doesn't-sound-like-rock-at-all" explosion.

Silence, the band's fifth studio album to date, is a welcome departure from the old Slapshock sound; it's obviously heavier than ever, as guitarists Lean Ansing, Bassist Lee Nadela and Jerry Basco, alongside drummer Chi Evora, shines as musicians who got the extra mile and in the tradition of the genre, challenge the current norm. Furiously fast-picked riifs, a refreshing double-pedal attack above the grooves and a lower-than-hell bottom end is more than effective to make first-time listeners of the new disc ask "Was THAT Slapshock?!!" in total dumbfounded-ness. Album opener "Shed your skin" is the perfect welcome mat, as it sums up what the time in between albums has made of these established musicians. As most musicians/bands (like Metallica) have grown softer and become slower with age, vocalist Jamir garcia and company seem to be going for the different direction, despite the fact they're almost comparably successful in their own right.

But what's exceptionally noteworthy with the release is that all these improvements still haven't taken away one important aspect  to this unit: their identity. Yes, it does sound weird that they're as heavy as hell, but it won't take fans and occasional listeners more than three seconds to know that it's them: possibly due to Garcia's distinct vocals and writing style, or maybe even the arrangements and continually climaxing approach of the songs' structures: check out tracks like marching "Sleepless Blvd.," and the throbbing, stop-and-go progressions of "Last ride" and "What we are." it sounds more like a natural evolution than a career move. And that's a big plus.

Old fans needn't be afraid that it all might be too heavy for them, as Garcia (as a vocalist), still hasn't forgotten to create humongous catch phrases and sing-along anthems, coupled off with his honed ability to actually sing, as evident in the album's first single "Direction." It could be that all of Garcia's projects outside the band as a producer and songwriter for R n' B and Hip-Hop artists have come in as an effective tool in the band, alongside the rest of the band's unshamed admittance to listening (and liking) other artists from other more pop-based genres and sub-genres. Also, Garcia hasn't abandoned his skills to write in the native tongue, as tracks like "Adios" and "Pagtila" are reminiscent of their past tune "Misterio," as the music doesn't sound awkward of forced at all, and add a proud charm to local listeners' tastes.

Sound-wise, there are a lot of high notes Garcia might have a hard time reproducing live, and the songs for the rest of the band might be more physically demanding when played live compared to their older tunes (which enable 'em to be jumping all over the place...) yet the mix, production and yes, even the sleeve design, is simply a work Slapshock can be proud of. I honestly can't think of anything wrong with this release, and I'm sure this is one disc that'll be among the few most memorable achievements in mainstream rock music this 2006. Finally

-Joey Dizon,
Pulp editor-in-chief/Skychurch.
It's been 2 hours and 6 days, since you made my world a cold place, with nothing to see, and nothing to hear, i walk alone with a hope inside me, and this world refused to guide me, with nothing to feel and this wounds won't heal...