hulika

Author Topic: do you agree that most "popular" artists today lack CREATIVITY?  (Read 12586 times)

Offline pyong_2

• Veteran Member
Re: do you agree that most "popular" artists today lack CREATIVITY?
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2007, 03:46:40 PM »
agree ako coz most of the audience or not musicians dont have a deep understanding sa mga music gaya ng prog.rock fusion etc. so this pop bands, their thinking of all this individuals para makarelate naman & maentertain sila, minsan nga namimisinterpret natin ang mga pop bands..... naiisip natin minsan chessy , corny or baduy di ba...pero hirap maging pop diba...heheheh....hanga din ako sa mga pop bands. coz theyre truly an entertainer...GodBless
GDBLZ

Offline otistikako

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2007, 03:47:13 PM »
I JOINED THIS FORUM JUST TO REPLY TO THIS POST.
i am a filipino living in america. a few months ago, i thought id go and listen to some songs that are popular in the philippines. i was greatly disapointed because EVERY SINGLE BAND/SINGER/SINGER i've heard of so far is so westernized and "americanized" and no offense but they don't do a very good job at it. i give my respect to those who are still singing in tagalog but the music is just so bad...i personally think that the main stream audience of the philippines call for western sounding music, music that is popular in the US (my chemical romance and bands similar to them, kelly clarkson(?) and singers similar to her), and that's exactly what they get back, except that the bandmates and singers are filipino which makes it ""OPM", which to my understand stands for original pilipino music, which i don't think makes sense at all because it sounds exactly the same as american music and lyrics but sometimes in tagalog.

i'm just glad that there is one band out there that distinguishes themselves from the popular music in the philippines these days: pinikpikan. they incorporate traditional filipino music with electric guitars and bass and drums, it's pretty cool. it's better than any of the bands or singers on this forum that i'm aware of. now they are truly "OPM". but that's just my opinion. to each it's own...

I'm saddened by the fact that Pinikpikan's not active nowadays. Their quirky or i must say innovative cohesion of indigenous music with art rock, funk, drum n bass, disharmonic to uncanny arrangements, militant beats and Carol Belo's airy but full-blown vocals - are one of the strongest suits that makes OPM - a wordclass movement. Same goes with Up Dharma down, apparently dishing out something that's unclassifiable, and for crying out loud - music cerebrals can trace some of its strains, from the jazz-fusion experminents of Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock, from an apparent soulful vocals that recalls Janis Joplin, Aretha Franklin and maybe Lauryn Hill, from heap-influences from vague electo-pop acts like Photek and Massive Attack, and maybe, just maybe -- a dose of pinoy sensibility which doesn't sacrifice pop music audiences. And of course, a third motion for chopsuey pioneers The Eraserheads (that's no question), atmospheric electro-rock acts Skies of Ember and Sheila and the Insects, and indie acts like Outerhope are a breath of fresh air the music industry badly wants. Actually there are alot of promising OPM acts with a lot of creative stingers, di lang masyado napapansin. Go scour Myspace, attend gigs and do a little research - marami jan. The only problem not only with OPM but with the entire music movement across the globe is through the process of seeking into new ideas and music concepts, ung tipong mga tunog na di pa nadidiskubre. Siguro madali na lang iyon, but I'm hoping that more and more people would set the grounds for discovering fresh new music.
All these accidents,
That happen,
Follow the dot, Coincidence, Makes sense, Only with you, You don't have to speak, I feel.

Offline cocaineshake

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2007, 05:24:42 PM »
Go scour Myspace, attend gigs and do a little research - marami jan. The only problem not only with OPM but with the entire music movement across the globe is through the process of seeking into new ideas and music concepts, ung tipong mga tunog na di pa nadidiskubre. Siguro madali na lang iyon, but I'm hoping that more and more people would set the grounds for discovering fresh new music.

i am way ahead of you. i've already spent days searching myspace and have done my research. i am going back to the philippines in june and when i get there, i will collaborate with local music producers and together we will change the definition of OPM. my concept is really simple but i know the process won't be as easy. lol. ok, here i go....

i may have big dreams but dreams are possible. i have a dream that one day gongs and synthesizers will one day coexist. that tribal chanting and your typical asian songbird will create a melody so beautiful to the ears that it will make you cry. that electric guitars and the kubing will together create a riff so catchy, every guitarist will want to find the tabs for it. that the dabakang and drums will create a beat that will give you chills for our ancestors live through it. the lyrics of these songs will be as rich as the soil for the rice that feeds us all. i call for a cultural revolution!

call me crazy or join me, i really don't care. this will happen.

btw, i found this band on myspace. my favorite so far.
myspace.com/bagwisband THEY SOUND EXACTLY LIKE WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT except i'm going to make it a lot better haha

« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 05:47:19 PM by cocaineshake »

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 05:33:51 PM »
Go scour Myspace, attend gigs and do a little research - marami jan. The only problem not only with OPM but with the entire music movement across the globe is through the process of seeking into new ideas and music concepts, ung tipong mga tunog na di pa nadidiskubre. Siguro madali na lang iyon, but I'm hoping that more and more people would set the grounds for discovering fresh new music.

i am way ahead of you. i've already spent days searching myspace and have done my research. i am going back to the philippines in june and when i get there, i will collaborate with local music producers and together we will change the definition of OPM. my concept is really simple but i know the process won't be as easy. lol. ok, here i go....

i may have big dreams but dreams are possible. i have a dream that one day gongs and synthesizers will one day coexist. that tribal chanting and your typical asian songbird will create a melody so beautiful to the ears that it will make you cry. that electric guitars and the kubing will together create a riff so catchy, every guitarist will want to find the tabs for it. that the dabakang and drums will create a beat that will give you chills for our ancestors live through it. the lyrics of these songs will be as rich as the soil for the rice that feeds us all. i call for a cultural revolution!

Attention: Deacon Blues.  :-)
"Competition is for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline tikimusicster

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 09:13:14 PM »
To cocaine, I'd be happy if gongs or tribal chants themselves can exist without synthesizers or Asian song birds!

I once listened to a kulintang performance and it was incredible!

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2007, 11:37:42 PM »

btw, i found this band on myspace. my favorite so far.
myspace.com/bagwisband THEY SOUND EXACTLY LIKE WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT except i'm going to make it a lot better haha

i love synth music with pop melodies... after all, NiN is a big part of my song writing style...

i'd love to see a project like this come true someday...

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2007, 01:34:06 AM »
This thread reminds me of that Igorot Tribal Death Metal project I was conceptualizing during college but never materialized. Oh well...

Offline thinkfloyd

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2007, 03:26:50 AM »
Point here is, the problem with those who think creativity is lax today probably just don't get it. People didn't get Van Gogh in his time, so was Bach... so who's to say really? Peace! :mrgreen:
Wow, did Van Gogh & Bach just got compared to these slew of untalented, pop-rock-cover-quasi boybands that are popular today?

that's what i thought after i read that....

http://myspace.com/kadangyan
go there and listen to elal lay. maximum of 4 different chords. and it is beautiful
i really really wish there were more bands like this in the philippines...

I'm sorry, did I compare? Or did I say people didn't get them during their time? Peace :mrgreen:

Offline cocaineshake

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2007, 06:17:18 AM »
yea ur right, you didn't compare. but still, i don't think these "pop-rock-cover-quasi boy bands" will ever reach the standards of van gogh and bach.

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2007, 08:10:36 AM »

You should look up Grace Nono when you get here - she's been doing that stuff for about a decade now. All kudos too to her hubby-producer-arranger Bob Aves.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 08:17:02 AM by Jim Ayson »
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »

You should look up Grace Nono when you get here - she's been doing that stuff for about a decade now. All kudos too to her hubby-producer-arranger Bob Aves.

+1,000,000!

@Hepe Jim: Does Grace Nono and Bob Aves go to Conspiracy, too? Just asking...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 02:23:34 PM by frogfunk »

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline cocaineshake

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2007, 02:04:22 PM »
BOOM
drummer of pinikpikan just gave me his cell phone number. am gonna make this happen!!!

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2007, 02:23:59 PM »
BOOM
drummer of pinikpikan just gave me his cell phone number. am gonna make this happen!!!

Good for you!  :-D

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2007, 05:16:25 PM »
BOOM

if you get Chill's celfon number mind PM-ing it?

i think we connected that night we met... its just... *sigh* she has to be out with some white guy who looks like a backstreet boy...

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2007, 05:20:31 PM »
BOOM

i think we connected that night we met... its just... *sigh* she has to be out with some white guy who looks like a backstreet boy...

I think yung "BOOM" was an expression.  :-)

Chill? Well, di na ako magtataka. Hip hop yun e. Also, I'd like to think that she's a sucker for pretty faces just like we are, e-hehehehe!  :-D

nO RLY

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2007, 05:31:18 PM »
i disagree.. well, we can't hide it na may ibang bands na nanggagaya lang.. but yung maganda sa opm is that ang dadaming styles of music na hinahalo nila. kaya ang dami daming nadidiscover na mga banda. people don't look for bands that have only one style. kung ganun yung case, eh di masasawa tayo dun at malalaos sila at hindi na "popular". tingnan niyo yung Bamboo. hinahalo nila yung rock, funk, pati kaunting jazz. they're creative for me. and look, they're now very popular.. :-D

Offline IncX

• Board Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2007, 06:19:44 PM »
BOOM

I think yung "BOOM" was an expression.  :-)

Chill? Well, di na ako magtataka. Hip hop yun e. Also, I'd like to think that she's a sucker for pretty faces just like we are, e-hehehehe!  :-D

i'd like to think she goes for personality and talent...

wahehehehehe!

OT na sobra

Offline uno

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2007, 07:28:58 PM »
i disagree.. well, we can't hide it na may ibang bands na nanggagaya lang.. but yung maganda sa opm is that ang dadaming styles of music na hinahalo nila. kaya ang dami daming nadidiscover na mga banda. people don't look for bands that have only one style. kung ganun yung case, eh di masasawa tayo dun at malalaos sila at hindi na "popular". tingnan niyo yung Bamboo. hinahalo nila yung rock, funk, pati kaunting jazz. they're creative for me. and look, they're now very popular.. :-D
Correct! Yung ibang post nalalayo sa topic eh. :wink:

Offline ninejuicyjulius

• Banned from AGT
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2007, 10:12:15 AM »
The thing in pop music is that, you know, you're ripping off as many people as you possibly can. And the trick is to listen to the right people. -damon albarn
Ows? Di nga?

Offline Seej

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2007, 09:22:07 PM »
Define Creative.

Halos creative lahat ng mga "popular" artists ngayon. Kailangan lang madiscover ng mga tao.
Even a broken clock is right, twice a day

Offline MikEh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2007, 09:32:51 PM »
i just saw some guy sing lisa loeb's "stay" on myx... *shivers*

Offline sumalinog

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2007, 07:37:29 PM »
di naman ata coz rami pop artsist are creative,talented at galing sa projections pro sa kagandahan ng melody ng songs nila, minsan lyrics, nababrand sila na mainstream artsist and so  rami tao talaga na nagiisip na kung mainstream yung songs mo di ka magaling coz yun ang notion nila sa mainstream artist at mainstream songs

nO RLY

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2007, 12:56:43 PM »
not all songs that are considered mainstream lack creativity. nagkataon lang na nagustuhan siya ng tao, so nangyari yung mga hanep na music videos, matagal sila sa mga hit charts sa radios or tv shows like myx, and overplayed din siya. in other cases naman, naaawa ako sa mga taong may gusto sa kanila kasi sa isang  song lang sila na captivate, tapos pagtingin naman sa band, hindi masyadong magaling. the fans like the song because of its catchy chorus or excessive play time, but sometimes they have to analyze the artist and the music they play. so iba may skill, iba wala masyado. but hey, there's still time to improve :-)