hulika

Author Topic: how to be a dj? what equipments to buy? how to setup dj mixers etc.?  (Read 57548 times)

Offline karlo

Re: how to be a dj? what equipments to buy? how to setup dj mixers etc.?
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2008, 03:56:02 PM »
yup long blends are the way to go for most electronic music- simple drops can be effective, but only when used sparingly to save the drama. unless you're mostly doing hip-hop.
Macbook Pro | HP DV7 | Ableton Suite 8.4 | Reason 6.5 | Traktor Pro 2.5 | Reaper 4.22 | Komplete Audio 6 & A8DJ | VoiceLive Classic & Touch | Xone 92r | X-Station 61 | Breedlove Atlas

Love Never Dies

LouieAzcona

« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2008, 04:08:45 PM »
"

pati sa youtube may galit sayo?!

sorry nageenjoy lang ako magbasa dito  :mrgreen:

Offline dualcoil

« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2008, 04:32:40 PM »
@dualcoil: do you know how to blend at the very least? the problem with cutting is it really ends up producing a choppy mix...use this as your only method of mixing and your long sets will suffer-badly. i prefer long blending, even on techno songs and DnB tracks, because you are able to produce a more seamless set that just keeps the dance floor (and your tracks) going together smoothly...i might cut to accentuate the dropping of a bass or build after a nice synth drone but i do it sparingly

upo.. its true.. but back then, its hard to do a long fade blend.. tama ba? hindi mo magagawa yun because back then tape deck has no pitch control..
Reyzuna!!!

Offline karlo

« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2008, 05:01:48 PM »
upo.. its true.. but back then, its hard to do a long fade blend.. tama ba? hindi mo magagawa yun because back then tape deck has no pitch control..

I think Abyss was referring to the general good practice of not just doing drops and cuts, and not about your using tapes back in the day. Keep the mix varied. Do smooth blends on most songs and when you drop in that fat bassline, it makes it all the more dramatic. Drop mixing works best in certain contexts (i.e. hip-hop), and only when it's not abused.
Macbook Pro | HP DV7 | Ableton Suite 8.4 | Reason 6.5 | Traktor Pro 2.5 | Reaper 4.22 | Komplete Audio 6 & A8DJ | VoiceLive Classic & Touch | Xone 92r | X-Station 61 | Breedlove Atlas

Love Never Dies

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2008, 05:21:01 PM »
in mobile speak: bagsakan versus babaran

Offline dualcoil

« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2008, 05:36:06 PM »
ah.. ok.. i tought that you can just experiment what ever you want to your mix, as long it goes alright..

i mean kasi. if yung beat eh hindi po ganun kasabay.. hindi po ata pwede itagal yung volume ng isat isa.. magiging kalat ang base or yung mga songs.. so we do back then, after counting the beats.. biglang sisingit ang isa.. just to produce a non stop music.. pero ngayon wala naman po problema kasi may mga pictch control and sync para mag sabay ang beat. na pwede mo na i-smooth ang pag baba at pag taas ng volume ng bawat isang tracks... by the way.. me and my friends are setting up my mobile,.. we be doing some mix.. at mag rerecord ako ng mix ko ngayon.. try ko upload mamaya.. as soon na matapos,.. thanks nga pala sa advice.. i realy want more ideas from you,,
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 06:05:27 PM by dualcoil »
Reyzuna!!!

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2008, 07:11:23 PM »
i used to drop mix with stuff like trip hop or jungle, only cause the beats were too complex to mix properly.  madali mag-kabayo.

best to make babad and tease the party with house stuff.  that's what those 8-10 minute vinyl remixes are for.  plus you can feel the energy build up when the people notice the next song you're mixin in but you're only teasin til you drop it in, then everyone goes nuts.

most of all, try to hold your booze.  helps to enjoy while dj-ing, but not too much that you can't mix.  quit dj-ing tho, cause i'd rather groove with the hot chicks.

:-) :-) :-)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 07:14:31 PM by x_taxi »
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline yeOj01

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2008, 09:03:58 PM »
saan kea aq mkkbli ng technics ? na mura? ahaha! wala kxe talaga budget!
it's just a matter of perception.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2008, 09:07:59 PM »
saan kea aq mkkbli ng technics ? na mura? ahaha! wala kxe talaga budget!

No text spelling please! Read the rules!
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline yeOj01

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2008, 09:13:02 PM »
sorry.= ). saan kaya ako makakabili ng murang technics?
it's just a matter of perception.

Offline dualcoil

« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2008, 10:40:27 PM »
Ayeeee!!! ayus..
woh.. sobrang saya talaga mag mix.. sobrang injoy ako nito mag mix together with my friends..  8-) :lol: it so so fun.. well here it is.. my second mix post on you tube using virtual dj..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvTWjs9BPvo

i hope that they watch it in start to end. and give me comments about my mixing.. so that i have idea for what will i do next time..

sorry kung puro image lang na paulit-ulit ha.. kasi having trouble converting. at hindi lahat ng mix ko na upload ko.. medyo mabagal kasi internet at ilang minutes lang naman ang video sa youtube.. any way..

the porpuse of my video posting here.. is for people who wants to know what a virtual dj can do in a mixing industry.. so share ko po eto.. actualy, it was fun and more challenging when it comes to "SCRATCH" not every one can scratch on a mouse... hehe.. pero i hope my mag post din dito. please.,. if kung my video ka and using a virtual dj or other dj program. pa see naman. and share nman dyan.

so that was my mix. using virtual dj software.. hope you injoy and follow up ko nalang yung iba.. so think if you are planning on what type of dj mixing gear you will buy and become a dj..

practice and injoy!!! good music everyday.. ang saya mag mix...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 10:44:06 PM by dualcoil »
Reyzuna!!!

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2008, 10:55:50 PM »
ah.. ok.. i tought that you can just experiment what ever you want to your mix, as long it goes alright..

i mean kasi. if yung beat eh hindi po ganun kasabay.. hindi po ata pwede itagal yung volume ng isat isa.. magiging kalat ang base or yung mga songs.. so we do back then, after counting the beats.. biglang sisingit ang isa.. just to produce a non stop music.. pero ngayon wala naman po problema kasi may mga pictch control and sync para mag sabay ang beat. na pwede mo na i-smooth ang pag baba at pag taas ng volume ng bawat isang tracks... by the way.. me and my friends are setting up my mobile,.. we be doing some mix.. at mag rerecord ako ng mix ko ngayon.. try ko upload mamaya.. as soon na matapos,.. thanks nga pala sa advice.. i realy want more ideas from you,,

while it is true that focusing on the result of a smooth mix is the main idea, you do want to just use a single technique to mix a DJ set because variety is good and a necessary due to the difference in the songs that you use. you CAN experiment with how to blend but making "singit" to every beat that you can get in is going to get old very fast for your audience. think of it this way: a DJ is like a conductor. while a piece of music has a set sequence of notes to play, the arrangement and dynamics of how those notes are being played makes a massive difference in the effect and quality of the performance; a DJ does the same thing. you want to ride out your audience and trance them into a groove then if things start looking boring, you switch it up to say a massive crazy techno groove with a break and dramatic buildup. in contrast with a mellow, deep house groove or progressive track, this can increase the energy for a satisfying end to your DJ set.

i noticed that virtual DJ is a software suite. how did you mix the set? you mentioned that you scratched with a mouse - is it safe to assume that you were mixing "in the box" without vinyl, cds or encoded records?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 11:00:45 PM by abyssinianson »
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline dualcoil

« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2008, 12:27:02 AM »
noticed that virtual DJ is a software suite. how did you mix the set? you mentioned that you scratched with a mouse - is it safe to assume that you were mixing "in the box" without vinyl, cds or encoded records

here in philippines it is safe to use such as mp3's as long it is a download.. at hindi ka bumili ng pirated cds.. well let  say buhay pinoy talaga.. but i'm not sure about that.. i dont use any vynil and cds na.. i have a two hard disk that has lots of music..

yup.. i do scratch on a mouse, pero yung ibang scratch ko with the churp medyo pangit. kasi with the mouse pad.. blue kasi yung mouse pad na gamit ko at the intro beat.., so i change into a black mouse pad in the middle of the first song..

i just transfer my techniques on the turntables in a mouse.. i did the churp scratch, quad cut srcatch, and the transformer scratch at a first song.. medyo mahirap talaga coz. yung vynil sa virtual dj, eh sobrang liit para maigalaw mo backward and forward pag churp ang gagawin mo... kaya im studying with the sensitivity of the mouse.. dapat kasi mababa lang.. pero hindi rin masyado mababa para mabilis din maka select ng effects and change music.. kaya very challenging talaga at its fun kapag nagawa mo ng tama..

sya nga pala.. i have a friend that can scratch pro.. and he is my idol.. he is the one i'm  targeting na sabayan sa galing mag scratch sa mouse, take a look at his youtube,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N_AEqAlfFw&feature=related

someday i'm going to master the mouse scratch technique and go for that guy.. wow he his awesome..

for the mix music.. i just do the same as the vynil.. you can't simply sync a slow music beat.. kaya medyo ginagalaw ko din yung pitch para mag sabay talaga. its all the same as a turntable.. timing din.. and for the effects.. i just add a "Flanger effect, Beatgread effect" and short loops effect" for the songs.. to add some groove.. thats all.. so talagang ang saya mag mix sa virtual dj.. coz marami karing magagawa the same as other gears... at challenging pa..
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 02:12:55 AM by dualcoil »
Reyzuna!!!

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2008, 12:44:31 AM »
yup.. i do scratch on my mouse, pero yung ibang scratch ko with the churp medyo pangit. kasi with the mouse pad.. blue kasi yung mouse pad na gamit ko at the intro beat.., so i change into a black mouse pad in the middle of the first song..

i'm curious as to why you didn't get a bcd2000 at the very least?  if you buy used, it's only a third of the price you paid for virtual dj.  also, when you start giggin, you can play most venues since you know the equipment.

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline dualcoil

« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2008, 12:52:56 AM »
i'm curious as to why you didn't get a bcd2000 at the very least?  if you buy used, it's only a third of the price you paid for virtual dj.  also, when you start giggin, you can play most venues since you know the equipment

yes.. im planning for a bcd2000 or 3000, or a usb turntables.. i do really one those gears.. pero sa december pako mag kakaruon nun. kaya tyaga lang muna ako sa virtual dj..
Reyzuna!!!

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2008, 01:06:49 AM »
yes.. im planning for a bcd2000 or 3000, or a usb turntables.. i do really one those gears.. pero sa december pako mag kakaruon nun. kaya tyaga lang muna ako sa virtual dj..

as long as it translates to some other means of "actual" playing. remember, just because a kid can play "Through The Fire And Flames" on Guitar Hero and get it perfect doesn't automatically make him a legit guitar player. the dynamics of a mouse and using actual hardware are completely different animals.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2008, 03:34:13 AM »
jammin session with our small community of scratch DJs  kanina lang @ DJ Red-i`s Crib

Our Jammin with DJ Supreme Fist(2 time DMC DJ Champ),DJ gugu, DJ Biboy of QESO, DJ Red-i, DJ 3gah, DJ Jay1, DJ Skin Kadafi (2008 DMC Champion)

ill post more pics once red-i send me the pics from the digicam.

ill post more videos pag nasa pc ko na ako
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 10:55:51 AM by xjepoyx »
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline karlo

« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2008, 02:55:02 PM »

Kung balak mo sa software ka lang magmimix, i'd recommend a more robust controller than the bcd3000, like the vestax vci-100. Look up ean golden on you tube. Galing ng routines nya sa Traktor.

jammin session with our small community of scratch DJs  kanina lang @ DJ Red-i`s Crib

Astig.  :-D

I was wondering, where do dj's here go to get their coffins done? Know anyone who can do one with a sturdy, detachable laptop stand?

I got one kay Mang Frank, and I' happy with it, but it's a beast of a coffin and I'm looking to get a smaller one done din. Also, he doesn't do clamp-style laptop stands.

Love Never Dies

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2008, 03:44:13 PM »

Astig.  :-D

I was wondering, where do dj's here go to get their coffins done? Know anyone who can do one with a sturdy, detachable laptop stand?

I got one kay Mang Frank, and I' happy with it, but it's a beast of a coffin and I'm looking to get a smaller one done din. Also, he doesn't do clamp-style laptop stands.

u mean somethin like this?

nagpapasadya ako ngayon sa carpentero  ko. nakagawa na daw sya dati. once its done... ill post the finish product here

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2008, 02:59:50 AM »
@joey(thread starter) and other aspiring DJs

DJ Supreme Fist(2 time DMC Champion) and DJ Gugu is opening a DJ School soon. Ill keep u guys posted

we also have a jam tonight at M Cafe. Actually its a gig of DJ Red-I.

Ma witness nyo lang ang DJ scene atleast. U can txt me my number is in my sig sa mga interested.

Offline dualcoil

« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2008, 02:51:58 PM »
Kung balak mo sa software ka lang magmimix, i'd recommend a more robust controller than the bcd3000, like the vestax vci-100. Look up ean golden on you tube. Galing ng routines nya sa Trakto

thanks for the comments.. it's not just my type.. i don't like to buy a high-end dj gears just to prove that i'm a dj doing mixing like this, and like that.. for me even a simple set of mixing gears or just a laptop, desktop are fine as long your injoying and same as the crowd..

hindi ko naman po balak maging Global DJ just to present my mixes.. i just want some fun mixing my music and share it to others.. and who said that mixing in a pc is just a game for a kid.. at radio stations like 89.9 magic.. they use only a computer system para lang makapag mix and play thier listeners songs..

kanya-kanya naman po yan.. if you think you can mix like a pro on a turntables. why not try on a computer? its a challenging one.. and it's a cool talent too..  syempre if you want some nice and dj look.. then go for the high-end dj gears and turntables.. for me.. kuntento nako sa "virtual dj" and my mobile.. kahit na papadalhan ako ng usb turntables and a serato.. baka hindi gaano magamit. and nag titipid din kasi ako sa budget for my futures...
Reyzuna!!!

Offline karlo

« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2008, 03:12:37 PM »
u mean somethin like this?
nagpapasadya ako ngayon sa carpentero  ko. nakagawa na daw sya dati. once its done... ill post the finish product here

exactly like that. wonder if graywall or turi can do it...

Love Never Dies

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2008, 03:35:14 PM »
exactly like that. wonder if graywall or turi can do it...

ilang beses ko na nakausap si turi tungkol sa pag gaya dyan sa design na yan... it will cost me alot daw. mas cheaper pa nga daw kung yan na mismo na daw ang bilhin ko according kay turi.

basta  pag natapos yung project ko ill post it agad.

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2008, 04:30:40 AM »

after 2 weeks na pinaayos ko decks ko eto na uli setup na uli dito sa studio ko.

@dualcoil
kung gusto mo makapag hands-on ng serato... invite kita dito bukas at may Jam kami mga DJs dito sa samin sa Proj8. Turuan ka namin ng tamang mixing, Beat Juggling and Scratching

« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 04:31:58 AM by xjepoyx »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2008, 08:06:26 AM »
kanya-kanya naman po yan.. if you think you can mix like a pro on a turntables. why not try on a computer? its a challenging one..

Trust me... most of them have tried the computer route, me included (unfortunately, DJing is not my thing... synthesis is). Its true that computers can make it easier, but where's the challenge in that? Besides, mp3s have a way of sounding horrible if you don't know how to encode them properly. It's in the ears...

If you're happy with the BCD, then by all means go for it. As you said, kanya kanya lang yan. Not everybody has to do it YOUR way. You have to understand, however, that the true essence of DJing is a real turntable, and for a keyboardist, even I understand that.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire