hulika

Author Topic: under Freddie Gruber...  (Read 1062 times)

Offline toybitz

under Freddie Gruber...
« on: February 26, 2007, 04:33:55 PM »
most of his famed students turned into more sophisticated drummers, filled with technique and has mastered fluidity but at the price of being mechanical.

except for one who used to by bashed by his peers as a technical drummer with no feel....Dave Weckl.

do you agree or disagree?

I love Weckl before, and now I wanna marry him!

As for Steve and the rest, its fun...watching them and hearing their chops on records but the warmth is somehow gone.  I-M-HUMBLESTO-O

Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
Re: under Freddie Gruber...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 04:17:48 AM »
It's quite ironic because Freddie Gruber's teachings usually preach more on feel, motion, and sense of musicality, though he's got great technique as well.

Regarding Steve... I assume that you are referring to Steve Smith.  As for his drumming, I guess it depends on the situation.  He's got plenty of chops and technique to show whenever he's playing fusion.  But I've heard/seen him play jazz swing, pop and more sensitive music, and he surely can make it feel good too.

Neil Peart is well-known for his technique.  But Freddie Gruber made a great impact on Neil's drumming.  As mentioned in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Gruber)...

He took Peart under his wing and told him to forget everything he knows, all 30 years of Neil's playing experience, and taught him a clean, new way and had made a huge difference in the way he plays.

Offline toybitz

Re: under Freddie Gruber...
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 04:38:43 AM »
Yep.. was talking about Steve Smith.

Was impressed when he took Weckl.  He was more guiding Dave than teaching 'coz Freddie saw how Dave's technique really worked well for him.

What happened with the guiding was, Dave started to play more with feelings.  And the bite in his grooving became extremely powerful.

Nice to know someone could share with me in this thread.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?