hulika

Author Topic: the so called korean wave  (Read 5713 times)

Offline boogalou

• Philmusicus Noobitus
the so called korean wave
« on: March 03, 2005, 08:09:38 AM »
I was watching a feature on korean television about this korean wave sweeping asia...from telenovelas to pop songs (oh dear!!!)...

I'm kinda wondering why didn't we seize that opportunity during the golden age of OPM? Seems like we don't have any visionary on the same level as Stig Anderson who was responsible for putting a non english speaking Sweden on the pop map thru ABBA in the 1970's. Nowadays, they have an NGO called Export Music Sweden to pull that off.

Regine had the opportunity to be known beyond our shores, but she was stuck with a so called multinational label Polygram that was more interested in manufacturing idol singers than creating genuine talent. How else can one justify teaming her up with a group called (APPROPRIATELY called) grasshopper on one of her albums?

It seems like we're satisfied with not looking beyond our borders and doing what the koreans are now doing...hell...we even made one, non singer for them ARRRGH...Will we just be satisfied with the likes of the hot(?) babes, masculados and heaven forbid...barakos? And the hotbabes have the nerve to protest that they didn't use ghost singers on their album?...like...is there any difference? does it matter? i would've been GLAD to admit that we used a ghost singer...

We have an abundance of talent. That's undisputable. Sadly, that visionary who will put the Philippines on the world pop music map has yet to be born.

Louie

Offline isis

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 05:02:46 PM »
perhaps that day will come when people stop obsessing with quick profit and focus on genuine artistry.  :)
i'm not crazy. the rest of the world is.

Offline boogalou

• Philmusicus Noobitus
korean wave...
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 05:29:02 AM »
sana nga...but my gosh, we're 30 years too late. why are we always the last to realize what we got. puro na lang ba tayo potential?...ah well...

Offline Eagle Eye

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 01:56:10 PM »
Quote from: isis
perhaps that day will come when people stop obsessing with quick profit and focus on genuine artistry.  :)

Amen.
underneath the storm, an eagle reborn

Offline guitarman_222

• Netizen Level
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 01:11:31 PM »
Boogalou, whoever you are, you hit the nail right on the head. The Philippines abounds with musical talent. Yet as many say, we are content with staying within our own borders. Worse, we copy too much and hardly innovate. I live overseas and I see a lot of Pinoy musicians mostly playing below what other musos get paid, and worse, they only seem to copy well known artists (plakang plaka mentality). Too bad. A Pinoy saviour has not yet been born. Long live the Filipino musician!!!!! :P

Offline 1604

• Netizen Level
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 10:05:53 AM »
Why the world wont accept the Philippines into the music industry? They copy. Don't believe me? Ever watched IMBESTIGADOR? There was this funny episode about some Filipino copyrighting "I believe" from a korean singer and sueing him because the korean singer sang his own song in My Sassy Girl. It doesn't get funnier than that! Plus - IMBESTIGADOR even found out that Song BMG didn't even acquire rights from the korean singer. So it's true, Philippines does have potential not just good thinking.
PRSman is our forum English Teacher. Please refer to him on courses regarding being an idiot. Thank you.

Offline sinta

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 04:15:04 PM »
Quote from: 1604
Why the world wont accept the Philippines into the music industry? They copy. Don't believe me? Ever watched IMBESTIGADOR? There was this funny episode about some Filipino copyrighting "I believe" from a korean singer and sueing him because the korean singer sang his own song in My Sassy Girl. It doesn't get funnier than that! Plus - IMBESTIGADOR even found out that Song BMG didn't even acquire rights from the korean singer. So it's true, Philippines does have potential not just good thinking.

ehh oo nga..but to be a little more objective....nevermind - you know what, i agree.

of course we should also shine a light on those who want to stay orig (not to mention GOOD) - kahit walang masyado  :roll:

how embarassing.
kalokohan

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 01:21:58 AM »
Quote from: sinta
Quote from: 1604

ehh oo nga..but to be a little more objective....nevermind - you know what, i agree.

of course we should also shine a light on those who want to stay orig (not to mention GOOD) - kahit walang masyado  :roll:

how embarassing.

Parang "Pinoy Ako" ng OnL.................yun nga lang wala pa yatang demandahan.........................

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 06:22:53 AM »
Well seriously...............We all know that the "Korean Wave" is just a "Fad"...............It'll pass out..................very quick........

Offline year2apocalypse

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 01:58:00 AM »
i actually hope that we get more "asian waves" because i want our country to connect more with our asian neighbours! and not just through sending a lot of katulong over to work and whatever. uhhh... aaanyway... spanish soap operas suck. :(

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2006, 09:39:24 AM »
This deluge of South Korean telenovelas flooding our local channels is getting so out of hand that sometimes I wish that North Korea would just bomb the [gooey brown stuff] out of that other country.

Offline superlucky20

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 11:15:30 AM »
The reason why Filipino pop isn't making a splash in the international market is because it's unoriginal, uninnovative, fluffy and boring! The Japanese can do it so much better than we can. How many more times can we keep unearthing old songs from the grave and dress it up like Britney Spears?