hulika

Author Topic: Weird Amp, Effects Problem...  (Read 6506 times)

Offline nivleklive

Weird Amp, Effects Problem...
« on: February 16, 2006, 11:03:34 PM »
I was using my amp for a good hour when I decided to play around with my MT2's equalizer settings. After a few minutes my amp's volume suddenly decreased, eventually no sound came out of it no matter how high I set the volume setting.

I turned it off for a few minutes and I decided to plug in my guitar straight to the amp and it worked! Worried that something was wrong with my BCB60 I plugged in my guitar through my effects to another amp and it worked.

Now I plugged in my guitar, through the effects and it worked again! Labo! Now I turned on my SD1, my RV3 and my CE5 and the amp worked normal. When I turned on my MT2, same thing happened. The volume abruptly decreased until no sound came out.

I'm totally clueless. Is something wrong with my MT2? Or is something wrong with my amp?
- live a life of little regret -

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 12:08:54 AM »
Ah hehehe.

If your amp is a solid state one, it goes into what's known as "thermal shutdown". Meaning, it turns off when it gets hot.

But that kinda thing usually happens to relatively older solid state amps (and as a particular example, hot cabs/rage amps). When the amp cools down, it will work again. Extremely high gains from an MT2 will accentuate that problem. That's what happened to my Rage amp too.

It only tells me though that the power amp of your amp is in its dying throes. You may be able to use it a couple more months, but save yourself the aggravation and have it repaired :D.

Well...of course that's a shot, we'll never really know till we see it.

BAMF
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline nivleklive

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 11:37:50 AM »
Amp used is a Peavey Classic 30 (tube).

Haaaaaay sira na naman...

Offline meashuggahr

• Veteran Member
nakupo...
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 11:48:01 AM »
nakupo! sickly pala classic 30? tsktsk...wala pa naman nangyayari sa classic 30 ko pero nakaka alarma 'to a....

Offline meashuggahr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 11:54:21 AM »
sayo rin pala yung dati thread?

"I apologize again. This is the first time in my almost 13 years of playing guitar that a Boss pedal has given up on me (and it had to sound like my amp was the one acting up).

Yeah should've tried isolating the problem but since my amp has historically been the most problematic gear in my rig I wrongly assumed that it was my classic 30 again"

baka naman yung stmpbx defective?

:-k

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 12:21:55 PM »
....batteries in your MT2? or the MT2 is defective.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline nivleklive

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 01:26:37 PM »
i tried plugging my effects chain and it worked flawlessly.

And by the way, it wasn't my Boss that had a problem, it was one of the cheap patch cables.

My Peavey Classic 30 is sickly, I have a feeling malas lang talaga ako lemon ang nakuha ko cause the other Classic 30s I've seen have been through worse but don't act up.

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 01:50:25 PM »
Quote from: Phil
....batteries in your MT2? or the MT2 is defective.

Yup, please check the batteries of all the effects pedals. Also, make sure that all cables and connectors are in good condition.
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline nivleklive

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 02:12:46 PM »
Quote from: Tarkuz Toccata
Yup, please check the batteries of all the effects pedals. Also, make sure that all cables and connectors are in good condition.

I'm using a Boss BCB60 with a Boss power supply and patch cables. Again, let me repeat, I used my effects, guitar and cables with another amp and it worked flawlessly :)

Is it possible that the MT2 is causing the classic 30 to overload? Volume setting was just at 2.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 07:04:04 PM »
My guess then is that the input tube of your amp (first tube) is gastado na.

Ehhh hehehe. Tama na guessing. Bring it na lang to your fave repair shop :D.

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 08:59:56 AM »
Quote from: nivleklive
Again, let me repeat, I used my effects, guitar and cables with another amp and it worked flawlessly :)

Is it possible that the MT2 is causing the classic 30 to overload? Volume setting was just at 2.

That's strange. Sorry to hear that you are experiencing a lot of problem with your gear and the Classic 30. I suggest you bring the amp, effects pedals and cables to Audiophile main office at Paco, Manila. The guys there will try to identify and isolate the problem by extensive testing.
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline nivleklive

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2006, 11:09:07 AM »
Should I bring it to Paco rather than Pioneer?

I have a sneaking suspicion that I really got a lemon. Malas lang talaga that this had to happen now when we have a scheduled live recording next Saturday (for preproduction on our album).

Now I'm really contemplating on selling this amp.

Haaaay, malas, malas...

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2006, 12:29:37 PM »
Audiophile Paco ?

What I can maybe do for you, if you want, I'll get the info on a tube amp guru who lives somewhere in Vito Cruz. I've been seeking him out myself for a couple of tips on where to get stuff and what's the best stuff to use. I'll share d info as soon as I get it :D.

BAMF

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2006, 03:39:29 PM »
Look at this bro :

NOTE! Because there is no warm up of a rectifier tube when using this solid state device, it is critical that a standby switch is used that will allow the power tube filaments to warm up and generate an electron "cloud" around the cathode before high voltage is applied. This will prevent "cathode stripping" in the power tubes. It is a good idea to use a standby switch when using vacuum tube rectification, but it is critical when using solid state rectification.

Looks like you have to put your amp on standby for a minute or so before playing in order not to shorten the life of tubes.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2006, 04:04:52 PM »
Quote from: BAMF
Look at this bro :

NOTE! Because there is no warm up of a rectifier tube when using this solid state device, it is critical that a standby switch is used that will allow the power tube filaments to warm up and generate an electron "cloud" around the cathode before high voltage is applied. This will prevent "cathode stripping" in the power tubes. It is a good idea to use a standby switch when using vacuum tube rectification, but it is critical when using solid state rectification.

Looks like you have to put your amp on standby for a minute or so before playing in order not to shorten the life of tubes.
...c'mon ...he should know that....I always put my amp on standby before it turns on to warm up the tubes....thats like a standard thing to do for tube amps.....I even wait for 2 minutes....and if I stop for a long while ...I put the amp on standby again.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2006, 05:52:41 PM »
Uh okay. Must admit, that was new to me :D

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2006, 12:11:19 AM »
Quote from: BAMF
Uh okay. Must admit, that was new to me :D
yeah,...that was a good point though BAMF.....but you know...if you buy something you should research and have an idea how to use it right?...I remember my first tube amp....I researched on proper care and maintenance first before I touched the thing.....especially if you bought it using your hard earned money. don't you agree? :wink:

Offline nivleklive

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2006, 03:59:55 AM »
Audiophile Paco is the main office :)

Yup kinda learned the necessity of a warm up time from my dad who's heavily into tube based amps and high efficiency speakers.

Brought my amp to Audiophile Pioneer but they advised me to bring it to Paco instead (they don't allow inter-branch delivery of items for repair anymore).

Does the tube amp guru live near Cash & Carry?

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 09:59:46 AM »
Actually, si Mang Rod sa may Vito Cruz cor Conchu. Walang nakapagbigay sa kin ng exact address but if I go daw to that corner, pwede ko na daw sya ipagtanong kung saan bahay nya. Malapit nga yun sa Cash and Carry although meron isa pa nga daw, malapit talaga sa Cash and Carry, si Rene Rivo. You can contact him through his web www.wiredstate.com .  Ang handle nya duon is Hypertriode.

Baka ksi makatipid ka ng konti kung hindi sa Audiophile, saka baka mahanap nila yung mga other components na nagko-contribute sa laging pagkasira ng classic 30 mo. Lam mo naman yun, they don't really do their craft for pay (although magpapabayad sila hehehe) passion nila yan so most likely they would know a thing or two more than the average amp tech.

BAMF

Offline nivleklive

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006, 12:52:50 PM »
I'll probably have it checked there when I get it back from Audiophile (I dropped it off this morning).

Medyo na-hassle pa ako kasi ayaw nilang tanggapin without the receipt from the last time I had it fixed. The guy who received the unit actually wanted me to go home, get the receipt and go back. Eh meron naman silang sariling record bakit ko pa kailangang umuwi para lang sa resibo.

OK naman cause Lito from Audiophile Pioneer was kind enough to fax the record to their Paco office.

BAMF, malapit bahay ko sa Vito Cruz. Baka may number ka ni Mang Rod para patingin ko yung amp ko when I get it back. :)

Offline superoxy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2006, 01:44:14 PM »
try mo rin si raul quesada, he does home service, para di mo na kelangan bitbitin yung amp mo. search mo na lang dito sa forum yung number nya
\\\\\\\"I am afraid of people who are boring, but require too much attention to ignore. \\\\\\\" - Jamie Hyneman

Offline tolits

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2006, 08:58:07 AM »
Mga sir, I hope I can help, Lito, AMPWORKS, 4557985, 09167478479
specialized in tube amps