hulika

Author Topic: Question on guitar cables  (Read 3049 times)

Offline greenweenie

• Philmusicus Addictus
Question on guitar cables
« on: January 30, 2006, 08:39:48 AM »
How long is the maximum length of the guitar cable before you experience signal loss?

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 03:55:59 PM »
i was looking for cable threads and found this.

most says that the maximum length for cables used with guitars with passive pickups is 15ft. that was the like in the 90's. then it went up to 18ft. then now i'm seeing cables of up to 21ft. i highly suggest you stick with 15ft.

i have a question too. what cables do you use and how does it fare against other cables you have tried? i'm going to buy georg l's and i want to know your opinions about this cable against other cables. I already have george l's with .155 gauge. i want to buy the .225 gauge they offer. so far i've tested it against a klotz, monster bass cable, and a whirlwind. the george l wins because of its clarity. at least for me. i would like to get your opinions. i have no idea on what advantage the .225 gauge has.
Surf's Up!

Offline extreme16199

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Question on guitar cables
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 04:17:54 PM »
Quote from: greenweenie
How long is the maximum length of the guitar cable before you experience signal loss?

the general rule is no longer than 30 ft of cable from the guitar to the amp. this total includes patch cables used to connect your effects.

hope this helps.

Offline extreme16199

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 04:24:17 PM »
Quote from: glassjaw_jc
i was looking for cable threads and found this.

most says that the maximum length for cables used with guitars with passive pickups is 15ft. that was the like in the 90's. then it went up to 18ft. then now i'm seeing cables of up to 21ft. i highly suggest you stick with 15ft.

i have a question too. what cables do you use and how does it fare against other cables you have tried? i'm going to buy georg l's and i want to know your opinions about this cable against other cables. I already have george l's with .155 gauge. i want to buy the .225 gauge they offer. so far i've tested it against a klotz, monster bass cable, and a whirlwind. the george l wins because of its clarity. at least for me. i would like to get your opinions. i have no idea on what advantage the .225 gauge has.

there is no particular difference sonically between the .155 and .225 gauge.  the internal wire is exactly the same.  the difference is the thickness of the exterior.  the .225 gauge wire is meant to give users a cable that feels more like a normal guitar cable.  it also helps reduce tangle.

hope this helps.

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 10:19:55 AM »
thanks!

have you compared it to other cables? what can you say about it?
Surf's Up!

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 10:34:24 AM »
i use george l's and monsters and I like them both very much...the monsters are very road hardy as well
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 12:23:09 PM »
George Ls. .155 with gold solderless plugs....DA BEST.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 01:00:59 PM »
I use LIVEWIRE 20 ft cable for guitar and George L .155 for patches. I've never really had any problem with 20ft. as far as tonal degradation is concern. I need the 20 ft because I tend to move a lot up in the stage. Plus, LIVEWIRE has a LIFETIME WARRANTY! George Ls are really nice. Custom cut your size and easy to assemble. Clear sound, too. I don't really use much pedals (wah, chorus, delay) so cable length is not really a big deal for me.

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 01:58:43 PM »
has anyone tried canare or mogami?
Surf's Up!

Offline kaloyster

• GOLD MEMBER
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 02:13:40 PM »
Quote from: Phil
George Ls. .155 with gold solderless plugs....DA BEST.

mr. Phil, wala naman yatang george l. dito sa Philippines eh. kung pwede sana mr. Phil, paorder aco jan senyo then paship dito? ok ba yun sir?
"Bulakenyo"? Then join Bulacan Music Facebook Group!

Offline extreme16199

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 08:54:23 PM »
Quote from: glassjaw_jc
thanks!

have you compared it to other cables? what can you say about it?

i've used george l's as patch cables for effects.  haven't tried it as a guitar cable yet, so i can't comment much on that.  i use pro co lifelines, and honestly, they're nothing to call home about.  i've been meaning to try george l's as guitar cables but haven't really gotten around to it.

cheers.