hulika

Author Topic: THE GRAVITY CLUB - Followers of John Mayer  (Read 345080 times)

Offline gitarakista27

• Philmusicus Addictus
THE GRAVITY CLUB - Followers of John Mayer
« on: February 27, 2008, 06:37:42 PM »
I always wanted to start a thread about my favorite guitar player and probably favorite musician. If my sister never bought Any Given Thursday and Room for Squares, i would have never learned to play guitar. And even when he made Heavier things, i still went on to play his songs. Lalo na nung lumabas ang Continuum, where he showed another kind of "heavy" with his sound evolving further. And when he released "TRY!" with Pino Paladino and Steve Jordan, he introduced me to blues. Masyado na siyang madaming nagawa para sakin. In terms of style, he has influenced me and in terms of genre, he opened me to new sounds. Dati puro ROCK lang ang tugtugan ko ngayon mas lumawak. Jazz nalang di ko pa naeexplore pero masyado pang madameng kelangan matutunan sa Blues so i'll venture into jazz after i graduate nalang.

This is my side. I idolize John Mayer. I think he'd go very far in the blues-rock world and he'd grow old to be a legend like Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix or Jeff Beck(hehehe puro strat player noh?). Pero I want to hear your side my fellow forumites. Pabor ba kayo sakanya? do you like him? do you hate him or call him "baduy"? do you think he's lame or he sucks? sige na tell me. i'm so friggin' curious lang. hehehehhe ok lang kahet i-bash nyo siya. you have your opinion and i have mine. :-D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 11:41:02 AM by gitarakista27 »

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: JOHN MAYER - ok ba siya sayo?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 06:56:43 PM »
I'm a fan. :wink:
I learned to appreciate the blues because of John Mayer's music. It served as a transition from the usual pop/rock music.\

During the "Room for Squares" album, I thought he was just another Lifehouse, Dave Matthews-sounding artist. And "Your Body Is A Wonderland" has gotten me a few places too. :lol:
When Continuum came out, I was surprised with his new sound. That's when I started listening to the albums between Continuum & Room for Squares.

His Room for Squares album, I think, served as a way for him to be introduced to a lot of ears. I like how he turned away from pop, & went on to play his own style of blues. I hope he doesn't sell out - I think he's doing fine as is.

As a guitarist, I think he can really go a long way. There's a lot of soul in his playing. He's very young compared to Clapton & the other blues greats, so I look forward to what he can do in the future.

Let's just say that he also influenced my choice on what kind of guitar to play. (check avatar)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 09:17:08 PM by Red_Strat »

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 09:15:36 PM »
John Mayer is a great guitarist/singer/writer/performer. He truly belongs to the stage, which is evident when you listen to his live album Any Given Thursday. Can anyone here play Neon while singing it? :D
Music is perpetual, and only the hearing is intermittent.

Offline gitarakista27

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 10:07:11 PM »
John Mayer is a great guitarist/singer/writer/performer. He truly belongs to the stage, which is evident when you listen to his live album Any Given Thursday. Can anyone here play Neon while singing it? :D

ang hirap!!! talgang mastered na nya ang mga finger technique, for electric or acoustic guitar. kaya napaka flexible nya. at di din sya purist or one sided. i think eric clapton was once a bit of a purist to blues and blues rock dati but please correct me if i am wrong.

Offline nineworkz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 10:11:06 PM »
me likey John Mayer's music kahit nung first album to present...

versatile...ive read sa interviews na blues influenced talaga sya
covering songs sa idol niya na si SRV...and u could definitely hear yung
influence sa playing niya lalo na pag electric stuff...his nuance and tone
obvious...

his cover of Bold As Love kicks ass! Hendrix would be proud!!!

Offline danleo

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 10:27:42 PM »
Ok siya. I like his music from the start. :)
You may say I\'m a dreamer. But I\'m not the only one. I know someday you\'ll join us and the world will live as one...

Offline musika!

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 10:34:32 PM »
The next SRV. :wink:
Sing to Him a new song. The Lord is our song.

FS:http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,79887.0.html

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 10:38:08 PM »
Bakit magiging "hindi Okay"? AHHA! He's pretty good, he's got GREAT tone and very creative lines, both aspects of his playing are now, thankfully, more prevalent than ever because of his nascent love for putting more guitar work into his tunes. Pero for some reason he never became a "SUPER DUPER IDOL" of mine, sadly, because I preffer his guitar teacher Tomo Fujita. Great player i like listening to, though. Ang ganda ng demo niya of his two rock amp with Slowdancing in a burning room. Tone to DIE for and so much soul.

Offline gitarakista27

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 11:14:09 PM »
Bakit magiging "hindi Okay"? AHHA! He's pretty good, he's got GREAT tone and very creative lines, both aspects of his playing are now, thankfully, more prevalent

well, meron kasi sir nababaduyan kay JM. He's great talga para sa akin pero i just want to know why some people consider him as "icky", "faggy" or "someone that stole riffs from SRV and claim as his own".

eto pa

The next SRV. :wink:

SRV? hmmmm i beg to differ. Surely he had an obsesion with SRV. He had the initials "SRV" tattooed over his deltoid muscle and his tone smells, sounds and bounces like SRV's tone pero JM, in my opinion is his own guitarist. May significant influence is SRV sakanya pero di naman siya SRV impersonator na sinasabi nila... his riffs may have a little SRV but i know he's not trying to copy SRV. Di lang nya maiwasan siguro un kasi malaki talga ang influence nya.

Offline paparoni

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 11:19:21 PM »
astig si john mayer  :lol:

Offline ninejuicyjulius

• Banned from AGT
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 11:22:44 PM »
Re: JOHN MAYER -  ok ba siya sayo?

"OK" is an understatement.  :-D

utang ko kay john mayer ang aking pagkahumaling lalo sa gitara.  :-)
Ows? Di nga?

Offline ikem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 11:27:13 PM »
Grabe yung tone nya!malufet! kaya permanente na sa MP3 player ko yung mga album nya lalo na yung live ng City Love na kinanta nya sa Crossroads festival ni EC. Ganda ng tone! :-) :-)
There's something money can't buy, but for anything else there's your credit card..

Offline gitarakista27

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 11:28:00 PM »
Re: JOHN MAYER -  ok ba siya sayo?

"OK" is an understatement.  :-D

utang ko kay john mayer ang aking pagkahumaling lalo sa gitara.  :-)

pareho tayo jan sir...

+100000

Offline demoboi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 11:34:14 PM »
one of the modern guitar gods...
EXN PEDALBOARDS AND CASES http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,76364.0.html09173208410 / YM: exnpedalboards / skype: exn_pedalboards / fb: exnpedalboards / multiply: exnpedalboards

Offline kimBuhain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 01:02:45 AM »
I'm a fan. :wink:
I learned to appreciate the blues because of John Mayer's music. It served as a transition from the usual pop/rock music.\

During the "Room for Squares" album, I thought he was just another Lifehouse, Dave Matthews-sounding artist. And "Your Body Is A Wonderland" has gotten me a few places too. :lol:
When Continuum came out, I was surprised with his new sound. That's when I started listening to the albums between Continuum & Room for Squares.

His Room for Squares album, I think, served as a way for him to be introduced to a lot of ears. I like how he turned away from pop, & went on to play his own style of blues. I hope he doesn't sell out - I think he's doing fine as is.

As a guitarist, I think he can really go a long way. There's a lot of soul in his playing. He's very young compared to Clapton & the other blues greats, so I look forward to what he can do in the future.

Let's just say that he also influenced my choice on what kind of guitar to play. (check avatar)

mismo!

astig yung  solo ng covered in rain niya!

Offline frzrsnatch

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 02:24:38 AM »
John Mayer is one of the most underrated guitarists we have today.
If you're not convinced of how talented this man is, just listen to the bluesier version of "Gravity" and his cover of Hendrix's "Wait till Tomorrow" off of his John Mayer Trio CD "Try"

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 02:35:30 AM »
uu

:lol:

watch him live. be blown away!
There is no tone. There is only music.

Offline borgy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 02:56:27 AM »
He's great. Sana kamukha ko. :-D
Gibson ES-335 dot Historic, 1978  Fender Sunburst Strat. Suhr Classic T. McNeill OM guitar, Yamaha APX7,Fender Ultralight, Brown Note 18w, Purkhiser Amp, Firebelly Deluxe Reverb,  Mad Professor Little Green Wonder, AYA Drivesta,

Offline paquitz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 07:55:13 AM »
Galing nya para sakin. Galing gumawa ng music

Offline joshnerez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 08:19:33 AM »
i like john mayer since day 1..
he is the slowhand jr according sa rolling stone mag..
im much into strat players though kaya mayer made it to my list and he does good in his guitar playing..

@ gitarakista27

there is more to blues.. as sir joric said..
"once you go black.."
"It is not great men who changes the world, but weak men in the hands of a great God."

Offline gitarakista27

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 08:34:40 PM »
@ gitarakista27

there is more to blues.. as sir joric said..
"once you go black.."

oki...parang journey pala ang pakikinig sa genre. Kung ano ano madadaanan mo and you go back to places you love. Siguro ako forever traveler. I always want to try new things.

Parang si JM din. He switches genres in his playing but always goes back and doesn't stay in one thing for so long. nakakakbelib talaga...

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 08:51:07 PM »
Mismo sha para skin!!!

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline .bong.

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2008, 08:53:21 PM »
Fan din ako ni JM, magaling na gitarista at singer  :-)
.bong.

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2008, 08:55:34 PM »
well, meron kasi sir nababaduyan kay JM. He's great talga para sa akin pero i just want to know why some people consider him as "icky", "faggy" or "someone that stole riffs from SRV and claim as his own".

eto pa

SRV? hmmmm i beg to differ. Surely he had an obsesion with SRV. He had the initials "SRV" tattooed over his deltoid muscle and his tone smells, sounds and bounces like SRV's tone pero JM, in my opinion is his own guitarist. May significant influence is SRV sakanya pero di naman siya SRV impersonator na sinasabi nila... his riffs may have a little SRV but i know he's not trying to copy SRV. Di lang nya maiwasan siguro un kasi malaki talga ang influence nya.
dude, he's stolen more riffs from his teacher Tomo Fujita than anyone, IMO  :-D

VERY good player nonetheless
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 09:03:20 PM by Lahed92801 »

Offline gitarakista27

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2008, 09:06:26 PM »
dude, he's stolen more riffs from his teacher Tomo Fujita than anyone, IMO  :-D

VERY good player nonetheless

Tomo Fujita?? hmmmm please tell me more bout him. nakakaintriga.