hulika

Author Topic: African-American Feel  (Read 1523 times)

Offline daleee

• Veteran Member
African-American Feel
« on: July 20, 2010, 05:27:59 PM »
It's been bothering me these past few weeks. Yeah, we've seen Tony Royster Jr., Aaron Spears, Teddy Campbell, Bernard Purdie and a lot of really great jazz drummers do grooves/fills that only African-Americans can do. I know that it's something unique and has to do with their roots and culture. Pero, technically speaking, if you breakdown those grooves/fills, ano ba yung kakaiba? Is it the way they accent notes or how they use triplets in fills or how they syncopate them? I know that it can be explained in a way.

Patulong naman. Engot_spears patulong naman. At tsaka yung mga drummers diyan na nag-aaral ng gospel chops.

Salamat!  :-D

Offline kssael

Re: African-American Feel
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 07:26:13 PM »
I definitely suck with Gospel chops but they actually break down different rudiments with their feet aside from the hands. For instance, a lick that goes RLRRLRLL will have something like R on the snare, L on the hi-tom, RR on the bass as heel-toe, L on the snare, R on the floor tom, LL on hi-hat as double hit, repeat with variations. There are more rudiments to experiment which I won't post here because they're so complicated that I can't actually apply them.
-kssael

Offline dekturrr

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 12:49:57 AM »
its the groove thing.

meron din tayong mga pinoy nun
Pr. 23:23a

Buy the truth and do not sell it

Offline jckazs

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 01:23:26 AM »
gospel fills are usually linear and in a triplet feel. what makes gospel fills sound unique is the unconventional placement of accents. Gospel drummers see, for example, a bar of triplet fills as a whole (24 strokes rather than 4 - triplet fills). Here's an example of this logic applied: RlbbRlrlbbRlbbRlrlbbRlrl (try using Microsoft Excel as a fill generator, daming possibilities)
Plus, saw in one of Lyric's videos in youtube, I think it was Otep C who said that most gospel fills start at the 3rd note of the bar
Sa groove naman, I think it's overemphasis on quarters and accents. And yes, it also has something to do with feel...and drum tuning.

Offline wilpredo

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 04:00:30 PM »
nasa puso na din kasi nila yung ganung style ng playing  :-D
the corny stuff is what pays you :)

Offline daleee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 06:36:27 PM »
salamat mga tulong niyo!

I definitely suck with Gospel chops but they actually break down different rudiments with their feet aside from the hands. For instance, a lick that goes RLRRLRLL will have something like R on the snare, L on the hi-tom, RR on the bass as heel-toe, L on the snare, R on the floor tom, LL on hi-hat as double hit, repeat with variations. There are more rudiments to experiment which I won't post here because they're so complicated that I can't actually apply them.

nice, thanks for the info sir. I will try that. Parang complicated nga lalo na yung iba pang rudiments

gospel fills are usually linear and in a triplet feel. what makes gospel fills sound unique is the unconventional placement of accents. Gospel drummers see, for example, a bar of triplet fills as a whole (24 strokes rather than 4 - triplet fills). Here's an example of this logic applied: RlbbRlrlbbRlbbRlrlbbRlrl (try using Microsoft Excel as a fill generator, daming possibilities)
Plus, saw in one of Lyric's videos in youtube, I think it was Otep C who said that most gospel fills start at the 3rd note of the bar
Sa groove naman, I think it's overemphasis on quarters and accents. And yes, it also has something to do with feel...and drum tuning.

Nakita ko na nga rin yung vid na yun dati, kaya lang hindi pa ko naiintrigue sa gospel chops kaya di ko pinagtuunan ng pansin. Salamat sa info sir. Practicin ko talaga yung linear grooves ang fills na yun plus accents.

its the groove thing. meron din tayong mga pinoy nun
i think so. pero hindi nga lang siya distinguishable as 'pinoy groove'

nasa puso na din kasi nila yung ganung style ng playing  :-D
yun ang talagang mahirap gayahin. kaya ngayon hanggang sa technical side lang ang kaya.

Offline glennaui

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 09:50:04 AM »
OO nga eh... Sabi nga ni Aaron Spears, "Gospel Drumming is messy, but full of soul..."