hulika

Author Topic: OPM Christian Contemporary Bands  (Read 46594 times)

Offline totsandnotions

OPM Christian Contemporary Bands
« on: May 19, 2007, 05:58:59 PM »
Ever heard of these band? 23rd Psalm, Still, Thoughts And Notions? How about Kitchie Nadal, Barbie Amalbis, Acel Bisa, and Rocksteaddy? You know what these bands have in common? They are what we call Christian Contemporary Artists. Musicians that sing about their Christian faith apart from the standard Love song and other topics that are commonly played by mainstream secular bands. In the U.S. , Christian Contemporary Music (or CCM) has been growing over the years and has even experienced breakthrough artists that have successfully crossed over to mainstream secular music. Bands like Jars of Clay, Sixpence None the Richer, P.O.D, Switchfoot, and even Pop star Stacie Orrico have one way or the other had their humble begginings nurturing and growing their music in Christian radios. Now, the CCM genre has grown so big that many more of these bands has beggining to come up and march together in creating and sinigng songs wearing their Christian faith up in their sleeves! You can hear many of their songs playing at edge radio (www.theedgeradio.net) or NU 107's against the flow.

Here in the Philippines, theres a growing number of Independent CCM artists that hopes to penetrate mainstream Music. Kitchie, Barbie, Acel, and Rocksteaddy has left the doors opened (Though they first became mainstream success before embracing their Christian faith, and start performing for christian events). 3 up and coming Christian bands has recently released their albums and can be found at House of Praise. If you are up for Pop/alternative variety, you can check out 23rd Psalm's album. Emo/rock fare, it's Still. and if you are looking for a female fronted Christian power pop band, Thoughts And Notions might be it.

You can check out and listen to Thoughts And Notions at our friendster profile. www.friendster.com/thoughts or at our purevolume site at www.purevolume.com/thoughtsandnotions. website can be found at www.freewebs.com/thoughtsandnotions.

Give these bands a try, i'm sure you'll be blown away by their music!

Let's support OPM-CCM bands! God bless you guys!

Check out our album Thoughts and Notions: In awe of his Amazing Love. Available at all House of Praise Outlets Nationwide. to hear samples of our song, visit www.purevolume.com/thoughtsandnotions

Offline chrijdaq

Re: OPM Christian Contemporary Bands
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
alam ko marami pa ... sino sino nga ba sila? alam ko hilera (not a christian band but they're christian)

Offline totsandnotions

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 06:26:10 PM »
So far these are the bands that i know. I think SALAMIN (the band that has Gary V's son as their vocalist) would also fall under this category. don't know with Hilera though. Have they openly expreesed their faith through their music?
Check out our album Thoughts and Notions: In awe of his Amazing Love. Available at all House of Praise Outlets Nationwide. to hear samples of our song, visit www.purevolume.com/thoughtsandnotions

Offline chrijdaq

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 06:42:27 PM »
let's just say i (medyo) know them coz when i was in high school sila yung mga nasa elementary years at tabernacle of faith christian academy. inabutan ko pa si chris padilla na nag guitars during chapel service... alam ko mike turner of battery was very influential sa kanya... tapos kid bro niya na drummer pumalo din sa chapel service dati (years ago)

SALAMIN i dunno if christian band pero yes si paolo nga... alumni din ng school (hehe puro showbiz ata sa school namin) alam ko din SEVERO majority of the members are christian.

Offline totsandnotions

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 06:55:00 PM »
O yeah! i forgot about Mike Turner and Battery! so stupid and dumb of me! I could say salamin is one kasi i heard one of their songs na christian themed. yun yung hinahanap ko before i start to consider the band a contemporary christian band. pero i think dito sa Pilipinas, takot mga banda ma label as "Christian" ewan ko bakit. that's why nobody wants to be labeled as such except cguro the ones i mentioned and has their album available at house of praise. the others are kind of discreet about their messages. Maybe if i could hear Hilera playing at christian gigs or hear one song of theirs as christian themed, then i could say they are one. I just don't know them that much. But if ever they are a "Christian band" sana di sila mahiya in saying. So that mapaparami na rin mga OPM-CCM artists. Kailangan din mag step up mga local christian bands ngayon. theres no reason to be ashamed of our faith. If others bands sing about sex and violence, then Christians also has the freedom to sing about their faith! :-D

Offline chrijdaq

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
good point... by the way, yung callalily ata drummer is christian hehe! taga JIL. yung rocksteddy medyo ok sila kasi medyo hit sila and yet open sila that they're christian...

Offline totsandnotions

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 07:58:27 PM »
Yup! thats what i mean. tulad nila Kitchie, Barbie, and Rocksteaddy. Di sila takot to embrace their faith. although yung nangyari sa career nila is that nag secular sila and mainstream muna before acknowledging their faith. Meron na silang acceptance sa market although we could still say it was a risk. I think Barbs and kitch were introduced to a deeper understanding with their Christian faith nung sikat na sila. later na yung change of direction nila. Yung hinahanap natin ngayon is yung nagstart talaga as a Christian band. Hoping na ma accept yung songs nila not just with Christians but to others as well. this is what 23rd Psalm, Still, and Thoughts And Notions are trying to do. Thats what i mean by Christian band. Not Christians in a band. :-D

Offline nashbass

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 02:15:43 PM »
u-Turn!!! wak kalimutan.. :mrgreen:
We all ROCK, BUT GOD RULES!!!

Offline totsandnotions

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 02:51:38 PM »
Oo nga pala! U Turn! i think this is the problem. Hindi na unite yung mga Christian bands kasi wala isang big label na nag susupport talaga and yung banda pa mismo sometimes are very discreet if they a christian band or not.

Offline nashbass

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 03:52:53 PM »
for me, it's not really important kung discreet ka or screaming Christian or what have you, mas maganda na ipamuhay mo na lang ang pagiging Kristyano mo.

mas maganda kasi na pag nalaman ng tao na Christian ka eh maganda rin ang buhay mo, kesa alam ng buong bayan na Kristyano ka pero olats ka naman sa tingin ng ibang tao... gaya ni ___________ hahaha... di ko sasabihin... :mrgreen:

Offline totsandnotions

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 04:21:20 PM »
Syempre naman you have to live what you preach! but what i meant is that yung bansa natin, kulang yung awareness na OPM Christian bands exists. thats why it would be nice if magkaroon ng unity yung mga christian bands dito. Parang small community. Para ding mga indie bands na nag grogroup bah. We have to start to create a genre that can be called OPM-CCM. Kasi ngayon parang non existent siya eh. Kaya if you have a band and Christian Music yung tugtog, be not afraid to label it as christian music. I know its a risk, kasi takot mga band ma labeled as such and ma stereotype but why be ashamed of our faith? yun yung message na gusto ko maiparating. hwag mahiya sa music natin, lalong lalo na if it's Christian music. call ko narin sa lahat ng mga Pinoy christians to starts supporting OPM-CCM music. If kinaya ng OPM Secular mainstream artists talunin yung Foreign artists, dapat tayo rin magkaganun. :-D

Offline crouchdash

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 01:45:02 AM »
ano yung mga churches nila?
If you wanna kiss the sky, better learn how to kneel..."On your knees boy!"

Offline totsandnotions

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 06:51:19 AM »
immaterial na yung church. Mapa catholic man, baptist, Protestant, etc. basta Christian. Sa band namin we are composed of different Christians from different churches. It's a statement na rin na tayong mga Christians di nag aaway. Nagtutulungan tayo. Kakasawa na yung mga debates and arguments and discrimination na ginagawa ng mga christians/Catholics towards other christians of different churches (we were a victim of this twice too many). Sa band namin meron catholic, baptist, protestant, etc. Di namin ginagawang dahilan ito na di kami magkasundo and magkasabay para gumawa ng mga kanta. walang label kaming ginagamit about our faith but as Christians. We are all Christians period. It's a statement from the band. We live in love, peace, and harmony. Yan ang totoong Kristyano! :-D

Offline nashbass

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 08:34:41 AM »
immaterial na yung church. Mapa catholic man, baptist, Protestant, etc. basta Christian.

e di halos lahat ng nasa industriya ng musika ay Christian?  :?

Offline totsandnotions

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 08:51:46 AM »
Parang di tayo magkaintindihan Nashbass. Oo nga, halos lahat christian but what i mean by Christian bands is that Yung message ng mga kanta nila christian. and They consider themselves as christian artists. do you understand Christian Contemporay Music? Meron bang OPM na ganito? Sa pagkaalam ko wala eh. Walang solid na ganito. Oo nga ka lahatan sa industriya ng musika are Christians but they don't sing christian themed songs. Di mo gets yung ibig kong sabihin. Christian Bands. Christian contemporary Music. Hindi mga chrisitans na nasa isang banda. O nasa musika. get it?

sina barbie, kitchie, rocksteaddy, they don't call their music as Christian Contemporary Music. But some of their songs are Christian themed. and ever since naging christians sila, nagsimula na silang magtugtug sa mga christian themed events. Now if there's a band who could probably jumpstart the whole christian contemporary music movement in the country, sila yun.

Wala pa tayong solid na OPM-CCM label. Sana magkaroon tayo. Sana hindi tayo matakot ma stereotype music natin. And follow by the example of Jars of clay, switchfoot, sixpence none the richer na they were proud to be called christian contemporary artists and nagbreakout sila sa secular mainstream music. Gets mo na bro.? what I mean?

Offline DarkHorse

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 11:31:32 AM »
commercial lng po..

BE A DEMON HUNTER!

Offline totsandnotions

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 11:41:37 AM »
Yup! That's my band darkhorse! Thoughts And Notions!  :-D you watching the concert?

Offline DarkHorse

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2007, 12:52:27 PM »
umm..yup...im Jazz from the 23rd psalm...ill be seeing u guys there...
BE A DEMON HUNTER!

Offline totsandnotions

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007, 12:58:58 PM »
ah! hehehe! I won't be going with the band. tied up with work. You guys have a great set nalang. God Bless and Rock on!

Offline nashbass

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007, 02:00:39 PM »
Parang di tayo magkaintindihan Nashbass. Oo nga, halos lahat christian but what i mean by Christian bands is that Yung message ng mga kanta nila christian. and They consider themselves as christian artists. do you understand Christian Contemporay Music? Meron bang OPM na ganito? Sa pagkaalam ko wala eh. Walang solid na ganito. Oo nga ka lahatan sa industriya ng musika are Christians but they don't sing christian themed songs. Di mo gets yung ibig kong sabihin. Christian Bands. Christian contemporary Music. Hindi mga chrisitans na nasa isang banda. O nasa musika. get it?

sina barbie, kitchie, rocksteaddy, they don't call their music as Christian Contemporary Music. But some of their songs are Christian themed. and ever since naging christians sila, nagsimula na silang magtugtug sa mga christian themed events. Now if there's a band who could probably jumpstart the whole christian contemporary music movement in the country, sila yun.

Wala pa tayong solid na OPM-CCM label. Sana magkaroon tayo. Sana hindi tayo matakot ma stereotype music natin. And follow by the example of Jars of clay, switchfoot, sixpence none the richer na they were proud to be called christian contemporary artists and nagbreakout sila sa secular mainstream music. Gets mo na bro.? what I mean?

orayt man!
Last year muntek na kame magstart netong sinasabi mong OPM-CCM label... there's this organization or company or movement or i don't know wat to call 'em, pinoygospel, if u ever heard of 'em.
The people behind this group had a vision of putting up a "Christian band" that they will handle/manage. yung vision nila is to have a "Christian Band" penetrate the mainstream juz like Jars of Clay, Switchfoot, etc., Hindi kame (my band) natakot na matatakan bilang isang "Christian Band." But sad to say, nawala lahat ng plano. I dunno, naging busy daw sa ibang business. But nonetheless sana nga magkaron noh... Sana kayo na to... :mrgreen:

Offline totsandnotions

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2007, 02:32:56 PM »
Sayang di na buo. hirap nga ng state namin eh. Local na, Indie na, christian pa. lalong mahirap yung daan na dadaanan namin but paninindigan namin to. dito sa cagayan de oro mostly mga kasbay naming mga banda yung mga secular bands, kami lang yung naiba. Like kunwari may gig kami sa isang bar, kami yung banda na tinatawag nilang "no smoke, no drink" kasi clean living kami. sometimes may discrimination din. We are just hoping na may label that would seriously push and promote Christian music. yung malaking label na willing to spend for ads, marketing, promotions, etc. Kasi sa pagkaalam ko, marami ding pinoy na tumatankilik ng mga ccm bands gaya ng jars, switchfoot, etc. Sana matuto na rin silang mag supporta ng OPM-CCM. Label nalang kulang natin to raise awareness, i'm sure mag turn around din yung ccm music. gaya ng secular, nag turn around into opm from foreign. Sana marami tayong mga christian bands na mag unite and make noise! :-D 

Offline nashbass

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2007, 09:19:12 AM »
Sayang di na buo. hirap nga ng state namin eh. Local na, Indie na, christian pa. lalong mahirap yung daan na dadaanan namin but paninindigan namin to. dito sa cagayan de oro mostly mga kasbay naming mga banda yung mga secular bands, kami lang yung naiba. Like kunwari may gig kami sa isang bar, kami yung banda na tinatawag nilang "no smoke, no drink" kasi clean living kami. sometimes may discrimination din. We are just hoping na may label that would seriously push and promote Christian music. yung malaking label na willing to spend for ads, marketing, promotions, etc. Kasi sa pagkaalam ko, marami ding pinoy na tumatankilik ng mga ccm bands gaya ng jars, switchfoot, etc. Sana matuto na rin silang mag supporta ng OPM-CCM. Label nalang kulang natin to raise awareness, i'm sure mag turn around din yung ccm music. gaya ng secular, nag turn around into opm from foreign. Sana marami tayong mga christian bands na mag unite and make noise! :-D 

bro, indi naman kelangan ng label para maihatid sa tao ang magandang mensahe naten... like wat we're doin, we decided to produce our album by ourselves. nagstart na kame mag ipon para makabili ng mga equipments, at nakaplano na rin ang production ng cd, from recording to album cover, to marketing, etc... there's no stopping us.  malaki ang market para sa saten, we juz have to make our move. dba nga sabi, " we Christians, will be persecuted becoz of Him." kelangan lang maging firm tayo.  Hopefully by first quarter of 2008 marelease na namen ang album namen...
 by the way my band's name is Shifting Sand. We're based here Manila.  ako nga pla si Nathan, drummer po.

bugbugin lang naten sa panalangin to bro, magmamaterialize din lahat to.

Offline totsandnotions

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2007, 12:13:10 PM »
Yun na ginagawa namin ngayon. may album na kami under Praise music. you might want to check it out. its available at all house of praise music outlets. Thoughts And Notions name ng band namin and In awe of his amazing love yung title ng album. What i'm saying is mas easier pag may label na tutulong. of course, kung wala, tuloy pa rin ang laban. Na daanan na namin yung dadaanan nyo. Hirap talaga mag comunicate sa marami kc kulang tayo sa exposure. Pinapasa diyos nalang namin yung lahat na ginagawa namin. So far ok naman ang takbo, di pa naman kami pinabiyaan ng diyos.

May concert pala kami mamaya sa Rizal Park. 5pm magstart together with 23rd Psalm. You want to check it out. and lalabas na rin kami  sa candy magazine in next months issue. If you want House Of  Praise to distribute your album, let me know. tulungan ko kayo.

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2007, 12:27:23 PM »
Nice! It's good to know na dumadami nadin pala ang OPM Christian artists. Ako, gusto ko din magtayo ng Christian na band pero wala pang makuha na members. Alam ko meron nang label na nagca-cater to Christian musicians ah, yung kanila Franklin sa M.O.F., 12 stones records ata yun?

OT: Gusto nyo umattend ng M.O.F.? Sila Sir Darkhorse napanood ko na dun 23rd Psalm, ok kayo! God bless to everyone here!

Offline totsandnotions

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2007, 03:50:52 PM »
Nice! It's good to know na dumadami nadin pala ang OPM Christian artists. Ako, gusto ko din magtayo ng Christian na band pero wala pang makuha na members. Alam ko meron nang label na nagca-cater to Christian musicians ah, yung kanila Franklin sa M.O.F., 12 stones records ata yun?

OT: Gusto nyo umattend ng M.O.F.? Sila Sir Darkhorse napanood ko na dun 23rd Psalm, ok kayo! God bless to everyone here!

12 stones? label nila barbie, kitchie, and rocksteaddy yun ah. May contact kayo? christian label sila? didn't  know about that. how can we reach them?