hulika

Author Topic: The Earphones/Headphones Thread  (Read 465960 times)

Offline tipipeski

• Forum Fanatic
Re: The Earphones/Headphones Thread
« Reply #1625 on: September 07, 2015, 08:10:08 PM »
its Official.

I'm finally getting the ATH-M50xDG..

Though may makukuhaan ako na Limited Edition na ATH-M50xBL, Ang ganda ng color combination, pero, I will stick with DG model
 | God's Love Never Fails

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1626 on: September 09, 2015, 11:52:10 AM »
Since I've been quite busy recently, I just gave up attempting to talk to the bank to fix my BancNet stuff and instead went to Egghead to try out some IEMS.

Dalawa lang yung nasa budget ko na in stock at the time with the features I'm looking for: low profile, detachable cables, good isolation, complete accessories (ergo, sht tons of tip sizes), and legitness (a lot of IEMs are actually just expensive in-ear buds and not catered to musicians/sound people)

They had an AudioTechnica ATH-IM70 (may IM50 daw out of stock) and a Westone UM Pro 10.

The ATH-IM70 is a dual dynamic driver model that for some weird reason comes in only one color: swollen vagina red (not actual marketing term, but it comes REALLY close). It's an entry level IEM but it's no slouch at all. The sound is warm but colored, which isn't a bad thing at this price point (I'll explain later when I get to the Westone).

Pros
-good isolation
-small enclosure
-detachable cables
-good bass response
-cable attachment to IEM is really firm
-nice memory wire
-cheap (less than 5K from egghead)

Cons
-enclosure is bulky (the unit is practically a cube)
-cable plug (to IEM) is proprietary (AudioTechnica only)
-sound signature is fatiguing
-comes with a cloth bag type case. seriously?

Sound signature
-good bass, mid forward, rolled off highs
-The sound is quite saturated; the drivers sound best when driven at higher volumes, but the "saturation," warmth and forwardness of the sound (and consequently narrower sound stage) can get fatiguing really fast (I tried it for three song samples and I had to take the damn thing off)

Uses/Users
-Drummers
-Bassists
-Vocalists
-Acoustic performer

The Westone UM Pro 10 on the other hand is a single balanced armature driven IEM that comes in three transparent colors: clear, blue, and red. It's also an entry-level IEM despite the "Pro" branding because it uses a single balanced armature (BA) driver instead of dynamic drivers. Since BA drivers do not need to push air like the diaphragms of dynamic drivers, it results to smaller enclosures, higher isolation, flatter frequency response, and consequently a higher price tag.

Pros
-excellent isolation (and it's not even the Comply tips yet)
-sleek, ergonomic, lightweight enclosure
-detachable cables
-flat response
-standard MMCX IEM cable, lightweight too
-tons of tips

Cons
-memory wire is not bad but is too soft for me
-practically ZERO sub bass

Sound signature
-"flat" sounding response, mid forward
-The thing about BA drivers is that they don't have a wide frequency response. They have great response and clarity, they just can't do the whole range. That's why true pro models include three to eight BA drivers in an enclosure to cater to the bass, mids, and highs. The UM Pro 10 is a single BA IEM so it delivers the mids and highs well and underperforms in the bass department. mind you, the bass sounds excellent, but it doesn't have the presence in the mix - no boom, no thump, no attack. Remember, dynamic drivers push air that's why bass response is excellent, this one needs another BA driver tuned specifically for bass to deliver the necessary "push." However, the mids and highs sound excellent, and guitars, vocals and percussion sound excellent! A vocalist would be the best user of this IEM. Bassists and synth players should stay away from this model at all costs; good luck hearing what you're playing!

Uses/Users
-Vocalists
-Guitarists
-Percussionists
-Acoustic performer

I'll give them another go later to see which one I'd get!  :)
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #1627 on: September 09, 2015, 12:05:03 PM »
Since I've been quite busy recently, I just gave up attempting to talk to the bank to fix my BancNet stuff and instead went to Egghead to try out some IEMS.

Dalawa lang yung nasa budget ko na in stock at the time with the features I'm looking for: low profile, detachable cables, good isolation, complete accessories (ergo, sht tons of tip sizes), and legitness (a lot of IEMs are actually just expensive in-ear buds and not catered to musicians/sound people)

They had an AudioTechnica ATH-IM70 (may IM50 daw out of stock) and a Westone UM Pro 10.

The ATH-IM70 is a dual dynamic driver model that for some weird reason comes in only one color: swollen vagina red (not actual marketing term, but it comes REALLY close). It's an entry level IEM but it's no slouch at all. The sound is warm but colored, which isn't a bad thing at this price point (I'll explain later when I get to the Westone).

Pros
-good isolation
-small enclosure
-detachable cables
-good bass response
-cable attachment to IEM is really firm
-nice memory wire
-cheap (less than 5K from egghead)

Cons
-enclosure is bulky (the unit is practically a cube)
-cable plug (to IEM) is proprietary (AudioTechnica only)
-sound signature is fatiguing
-comes with a cloth bag type case. seriously?

Sound signature
-good bass, mid forward, rolled off highs
-The sound is quite saturated; the drivers sound best when driven at higher volumes, but the "saturation," warmth and forwardness of the sound (and consequently narrower sound stage) can get fatiguing really fast (I tried it for three song samples and I had to take the damn thing off)

Uses/Users
-Drummers
-Bassists
-Vocalists
-Acoustic performer

The Westone UM Pro 10 on the other hand is a single balanced armature driven IEM that comes in three transparent colors: clear, blue, and red. It's also an entry-level IEM despite the "Pro" branding because it uses a single balanced armature (BA) driver instead of dynamic drivers. Since BA drivers do not need to push air like the diaphragms of dynamic drivers, it results to smaller enclosures, higher isolation, flatter frequency response, and consequently a higher price tag.

Pros
-excellent isolation (and it's not even the Comply tips yet)
-sleek, ergonomic, lightweight enclosure
-detachable cables
-flat response
-standard MMCX IEM cable, lightweight too
-tons of tips

Cons
-memory wire is not bad but is too soft for me
-practically ZERO sub bass

Sound signature
-"flat" sounding response, mid forward
-The thing about BA drivers is that they don't have a wide frequency response. They have great response and clarity, they just can't do the whole range. That's why true pro models include three to eight BA drivers in an enclosure to cater to the bass, mids, and highs. The UM Pro 10 is a single BA IEM so it delivers the mids and highs well and underperforms in the bass department. mind you, the bass sounds excellent, but it doesn't have the presence in the mix - no boom, no thump, no attack. Remember, dynamic drivers push air that's why bass response is excellent, this one needs another BA driver tuned specifically for bass to deliver the necessary "push." However, the mids and highs sound excellent, and guitars, vocals and percussion sound excellent! A vocalist would be the best user of this IEM. Bassists and synth players should stay away from this model at all costs; good luck hearing what you're playing!

Uses/Users
-Vocalists
-Guitarists
-Percussionists
-Acoustic performer

I'll give them another go later to see which one I'd get!  :)

nice! paps sonic, pacheck din ng current price ng M50 nila tska kung may terms for card hahahaha
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1628 on: September 09, 2015, 12:31:42 PM »
nice! paps sonic, pacheck din ng current price ng M50 nila tska kung may terms for card hahahaha
suuure  :lol:

meron din pala sila ATH-IM50 pero out of stock. It's 400-500 cheaper, but the response is flatter/not bass boosted like the IM70. Apparently it sells like hotcakes. And it comes in black or white. If you're okay with proprietary cables, either is a good one for you. The Westone is good for Ashley, tingnan natin kung may marinig pa sya sa labas pagka natry na nya  :lol:

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #1629 on: September 09, 2015, 01:02:02 PM »
suuure  :lol:

meron din pala sila ATH-IM50 pero out of stock. It's 400-500 cheaper, but the response is flatter/not bass boosted like the IM70. Apparently it sells like hotcakes. And it comes in black or white. If you're okay with proprietary cables, either is a good one for you. The Westone is good for Ashley, tingnan natin kung may marinig pa sya sa labas pagka natry na nya  :lol:

pagnakuha namin Voicelive, irereto ko siya jan. pero sa AT siguro kami. para mas reliable (brands, you know...)
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1630 on: September 09, 2015, 03:08:25 PM »

pagnakuha namin Voicelive, irereto ko siya jan. pero sa AT siguro kami. para mas reliable (brands, you know...)

sosyal voicelive na!   :mrgreen:  I'll be picking up the Westone, details below  :lol: Ok naman ang Westone ah, they're known for IEMs but also for hearing aids  :lol:
BTW wala na raw M50 sa Egghead, pero meron M50x mas mahal 11.5K credit tapos 3-6 mos 0% int depending on bank

~~~ATH-IM70 vs. Westone UM Pro 10~~~

So I went back to Egghead during lunch break (benefits of working inside a mall  :lol:) and did a more thorough test of the IEMs. These are gonna be personal observations because these are my final analyses before I hand over my hard earned cash to Egghead.

Test tracks:
-320kbps mp3 true stereo through a Galaxy Ace I
-Gun - CHVRCHES; #41 - Dave Matthews Band; #41 (Listener Supported) - Dave Matthews Band; Hover - Urbandub

ATH-IM70
-Seems smaller than it was yesterday. I was just probably tired from work. However the fit is still the same, that is, it doesn't go all the way through into my ear canal. Not sure if it's the size or the stiffness of the tip, but I think it's the same size as the Westone I tried and the latter went in easy and deep and snug like a normal sized [sausage] into a wet virgin's vagina. I do have tiny ass ear canals though so I do have difficulty in fitting most in-ear headphones and monitors. I imagine a good fitting will seat the enclosure well and even in my case it does not interfere with motion and it does stay in place.
-The isolation is very good, and this is why you choose legit IEMs over in-ear buds. In my phone, I had to turn the volume halfway to completely isolate outside noise.
-The sound stage is quite narrow. Only hard panned tracks can be easily pointed out. Not so much an issue for monitoring, except say if you're locking in to your bassist, you'll have a hard time hearing him apart from your keyboardist, or vice versa. It can be advantageous on the other hand if you get cues from the band as a whole, such as most vocalists.
-It can get fatiguing. Like I mentioned, dynamic drivers need air to push that's why their enclosures actually have vents. So the lower isolation means you have to crank up the volume a bit, and with dynamic drivers, more volume usually means better articulation and a more even response. But this, and the narrow sound stage can be too in your face. Not a good thing if you're gonna be doing a full set!
-It comes in red. I personally don't fancy red. It screams "fck me!" but I prefer to make love.
-Still comes with proprietary cables, which have female connectors (most IEM cables have male connectors). That increases the likelihood of bending the pins and turning your IEMs into slinghsot ammo. If you don't wanna deal with that, never take the cables off unless you're gonna be replacing them.
-The bass is undeniably present. It's not muddy, and this will be great for bassists, synths and rock drummers. It also helps add to the "isolation"

Westone UM Pro 10
-These fit like a glove! While the ATH-IM70s are small and the memory wire helps achieve a good fit, the Pro 10s feel next to nothing, as if they hide in your ear. I suppose it's because of the Pro 10s thin enclosure, compared to the IM70 that protrudes out more, plus its drivers need more space. I swear it's like wearing those ultrathin condoms.
-The cables are sleek and lightweight. they're styled like those professional ones, with braided wire, except it comes in opaque black.
-The connector is MMCX which makes it compatible with aftermarket cables, including ones made for Shure IEMs. That also means less "tug" when you move around, as the connector is free to spin while engaged, unlike the IM70 with a two-pin connector.
-Okay, so the bass is still there. But still no sub bass. The sound is quite curious, probably unique to BA drivers. It's not as if you bought those CDR-Kings with zero bass and it sounds like a tin can. The bass is still there, you can hear it, it sounds good, but you can't feel it. There's no "push" or boom. The best analogy I can come up with is those new age tiny guitar amps solely for solo practice and mp3 jamming with tiny 3" speakers. It's like hearing loud guitar amps and cab your whole life then you're given this tiny  amp and yeah it sounds great, and it might come really close to the sound, but you'll definitely complain that it doesn't rattle your lungs like a cab would in a concert. Personally I can still hear the kick drums well, so that's acceptable, but to be honest the lack of rumble is very unsettling.
-The isolation is superb. Thanks to not needing vents, it only took me four clicks from zero volume to drown out all outside noise.
-No clear ones in stock, only blue and red.
-Since this is a BA driver IEM, I can have it re-housed in case it conks out.

I ultimately chose the Westone UM Pro 10s, despite costing 2K more. It's lightyears more comfortable than the ATH-IM70 in terms of fit, weight and fatigue. The noise isolation is also a main selling factor. I'll be getting them after work  8-)

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #1631 on: September 09, 2015, 03:36:43 PM »
^^^ nice. hahahaha then again, monitors shouldnt be bassy naman talaga or trebly. nakakapagod sa tenga yun eh hahaha

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1632 on: September 09, 2015, 03:42:00 PM »
^^^ nice. hahahaha then again, monitors shouldnt be bassy naman talaga or trebly. nakakapagod sa tenga yun eh hahaha

tama, that's why I chose the westone instead. pero weird talaga yung feel, di lang siguro sanay  :lol:

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1633 on: September 10, 2015, 03:16:27 PM »
Heto naaaaa! 6,700 cash sa Egghead  :)
walang clear color, bwiset. pero ok lang at least hindi red  :lol:

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #1634 on: September 10, 2015, 03:29:56 PM »
Heto naaaaa! 6,700 cash sa Egghead  :)
walang clear color, bwiset. pero ok lang at least hindi red  :lol:

patesting once hahahaha gno kahaba st cable?

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1635 on: September 10, 2015, 03:37:47 PM »

patesting once hahahaha gno kahaba st cable?

suuuuuuuure! wait lang testing sa gig?  :lol:

sabi sa website 50 inches. sakto lang for IEM

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #1636 on: September 10, 2015, 04:18:04 PM »
suuuuuuuure! wait lang testing sa gig?  :lol:

sabi sa website 50 inches. sakto lang for IEM

rehearsal pag nakuha na voicelive.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1637 on: September 10, 2015, 04:48:52 PM »

rehearsal pag nakuha na voicelive.

of course! pang practice ko lang naman sa drums  yan eh  :lol:

Offline tipipeski

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1638 on: September 12, 2015, 11:40:14 PM »
Helllo...

 | God's Love Never Fails

Offline lockzackary

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1639 on: September 16, 2015, 04:00:32 PM »
mga boss ask ko lang
ano po bang marerecommend niyo na matibay na headphones or kahit earphones

maayos pa naman yung urbanears kransen ko kasi after more than a year, yung rubber wire niya eh natuklap na sa left earbud :(

preferrably sana sleeved cable yung wires niya.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1640 on: September 16, 2015, 04:13:14 PM »
mga boss ask ko lang
ano po bang marerecommend niyo na matibay na headphones or kahit earphones

maayos pa naman yung urbanears kransen ko kasi after more than a year, yung rubber wire niya eh natuklap na sa left earbud :(

preferrably sana sleeved cable yung wires niya.

may minention dito si Ralph na philips earbuds, check that out :)

other than that, bluetooth ka na! the last one I had lasted for 3+ years before it got stolen  :lol:

Offline lockzackary

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1641 on: September 16, 2015, 04:17:58 PM »
ay onga si kuya ralph din pala yung sumagot ng philips oneil
hmmm ang mahal kasi nung shure haha wala sa budget

i guess i'll go with philips muna and upgrade later

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #1642 on: September 16, 2015, 04:22:10 PM »
ay onga si kuya ralph din pala yung sumagot ng philips oneil
hmmm ang mahal kasi nung shure haha wala sa budget

i guess i'll go with philips muna and upgrade later

try mo yung Xiaomi Pistons V2 sa lazada. sobrang swabe IMHO lalo na for the price. :D

Offline loubs_king

« Reply #1643 on: October 15, 2015, 11:57:30 PM »
Help guys, i want to choose between these.

Fiio X1 or Sandisk Sansa Clip/Clip Zip?

Here's my current rig w ipod touch 3rdgen(i think?)
>Fiio E11K>Soundmagic es18/Superlux Hd330

Gusto ko mag-upgrade sana, thanks for suggestions... :-)

-------------------------------------------------
Loubert
loubs_king@yahoo.com

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1644 on: October 16, 2015, 09:12:23 AM »
Help guys, i want to choose between these.

Fiio X1 or Sandisk Sansa Clip/Clip Zip?

Here's my current rig w ipod touch 3rdgen(i think?)
>Fiio E11K>Soundmagic es18/Superlux Hd330

Gusto ko mag-upgrade sana, thanks for suggestions... :-)

X1 hands down. may FLAC support, mas maganda yung DAC, at may line out.
Kung yung Sansa yung kukunin mo malamang di naman improvement yung DAC at amps, probably no better than the iPod.

Offline loubs_king

« Reply #1645 on: October 16, 2015, 08:25:34 PM »
Btw, kung mapagdesyunan ko na bumili ng sansa clip, san kaya ako makakabili? :)
-------------------------------------------------
Loubert
loubs_king@yahoo.com

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #1646 on: October 19, 2015, 07:47:46 AM »

try mo yung Xiaomi Pistons V2 sa lazada. sobrang swabe IMHO lalo na for the price. :D

i hope there are improvements made on the sound quality on this one at hindi lang sa style. bitin ako sa sound dun sa una. mas maganda pa yung sa ES18 ko.
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1647 on: October 19, 2015, 08:58:33 AM »
Btw, kung mapagdesyunan ko na bumili ng sansa clip, san kaya ako makakabili? :)

+1 sa tanong na to, kelangan ko ng pang-commute na player  :lol:

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #1648 on: October 19, 2015, 09:41:06 AM »
^sa OLX brad madami. fresh from singapore. at hindi pa nahahawakan ng maduduming kamay ng mga nasa customs.
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1649 on: October 19, 2015, 10:01:05 AM »
^sa OLX brad madami. fresh from singapore. at hindi pa nahahawakan ng maduduming kamay ng mga nasa customs.

woooow sana pwede COD, wala kasing COD pag direct order sa overseas supplier.   :-(