hulika

Author Topic: Blues  (Read 7003 times)

Offline 430nmtune

Blues
« on: April 16, 2004, 05:25:31 PM »
Wala bang Blues scene sa 'Pinas? Di man lang na-sali sa Music Genres...

Offline Godin

• Board Moderator
Blues
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 02:53:14 PM »
meron kaya lang underground pa

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Blues
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 01:23:40 PM »
There is, but it's not big enough to warrant its own forum I think. I was in a blues band myself around 95-97. For a local blues album, I would recommend Lampano Alley, featuring Binky Lampano on vocals.

Also see
http://www.philmusic.com/zine/editorial/2003/10/101903_blues

Offline 430nmtune

Blues
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 07:23:13 PM »
Songs from the Alley is good and I hope more blues style music see the shelves in the Phil. Underground blues scene? Which bars feature blues bands? Thank you.

Offline kawal

• Philmusicus Addictus
Blues
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 11:13:12 PM »
sobrang na-inspire ako sa scene nung unplugged ni clapton. sana may pianista rin sa pinas na blues or swing-jazz ang orientation.
BTW, i'm into slide guitar. :)
Hindi dapat nakakapagod mag-Philmusic.

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Blues
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 11:46:11 PM »
The funkiest bluesy pianist in the local scene is Butch Saulog. He has his own group called BLUESVIMINDA... they play every now and then, usually at the Fete de la Musique. Cooky Chua is their vocalist.

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Blues
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 11:49:43 PM »
Quote from: 430nmtune
Songs from the Alley is good and I hope more blues style music see the shelves in the Phil. Underground blues scene? Which bars feature blues bands? Thank you.

Well the Blue Rats doesn't play around no more since their vocalist Triccie Gomez moved to Australia and their drummer Miguel Ortigas moved to the States (though the two will get married soon na I hope!).  That only leaves Blue Jean Junkies and they are more Stones-era classic rock than blues. Your best bet to look for blues is Hobbit House in Malate.

Also look for a guy called Delta Slim on this message board (usually in the Music Marketplace or Guitar Forum) he is a World Bank employee by day and blues guitarist by night. :-)

Offline 430nmtune

Blues
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 04:50:05 PM »
Quote from: pinoymusika
I was in a blues band myself around 95-97.

What happened? Its people like you who can keep the blues alive.  I guess there just is no mass appeal for blues in the Phil. I reckon there would be a following amongst musicians.
There is a blues bar in HK run by a very good blues singer guitarist, (Tommy Cheung,) the '48th street chicago blues bar'. They feature a Jam night every monday. All musicians are welcome to register and join. Amatuers and pros jam together (blues). It is encouraged to bring your own instruments but some lend theirs. It is also the day when you can get the cheap beer (still expensive like all else in HK). Here players from various genres jam and play the blues to relax.  I hope there is something like this in Manila.

I went to Hobbit House last year and there was a good singer rendering a love song. I didn't think they will feature blues that time so I wandered around and ended up in Havana featuring Latin music.

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Blues
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 07:15:13 PM »

What happened? Its people like you who can keep the blues alive.  I guess there just is no mass appeal for blues in the Phil. I reckon there would be a following amongst musicians.

Well it was quite simple really, our bass player quit and we really didn't find a replacement so we just stopped gigging.  8)  The band was the Mexicali Blues Band and we started off as a house band to a Blues night held just every Saturday at Mexicali (as in the mexican food place) in Alabang. Our axeman were real good, Walter Wirth (formerly with Petrified Anthem in the 70's) and Joey Puyat. When that scene died we continued on as Mexicali Blues anyway and gigged at places like Hobbit. We did a lot of blues-influenced classic rock by the Allman Brothers, Hendrix and Clapton and blues-influenced jazz by Robben Ford and Tom Scott.

I must say as I wasn't really into the blues when I was asked to join the band as a drummer. In fact for the first few weeks I found it really boring - the rhythm section doesn't do too much, it 's mainly a  spotlight for the soloists. That's why guitar players love the blues - they get to shine , while the bass and drums plod on. I did learn to enjoy the genre later on, and learned about the role of dynamics in the blues. The Lampano Alley album for example shows that the blues doesn't need to be boring 3-chords all the time. (As a drummer I still prefer playing jazz or rock to blues though)

It was the Blue Rats that kept the blues going from the 90's till around 2003. Joey Puyat joined them laer on, and Tom Epperson (the photographer) played harmonica. Binky immigrated to the USA around 2001 so that kept Lampano Alley in the freezer for a long while.

Cacoi Legaspi (of Barbie's Cradle) is a great blues player, I think he kept his band Mr. Crayon going. Daniel Crisologo of Kharma is also a good blues guitarist. I guess they are still going along the blues route. Delta Slim would probably know if there is an underground blues scene going on... he had an underground  band called the Soul Dredgrrs. Wally Gonzales is of course a great blues influenced guitarist but his band plays mostly classic rock covers.

Offline kawal

• Philmusicus Addictus
Blues
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 12:18:56 AM »
The funkiest bluesy pianist in the local scene is Butch Saulog. He has his own group called BLUESVIMINDA... they play every now and then, usually at the Fete de la Musique. Cooky Chua is their vocalist.

boss, what about slide guitar type na blues or acoustic blues??
Hindi dapat nakakapagod mag-Philmusic.

Offline 430nmtune

Blues
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 10:28:09 AM »
pinoymusika:

Thank you for the detailed account of the Phil blues scene.
Yes in most bands the guitarist just shines. But in the place I wrote about ALL players get to solo for a couple of verses. Even the  bass player and the drummer (heartbeat of the band) get to shine. The Jam night is when the musicians Pro or Am get their fun. While the blues can be boring, it is also the simplicity that makes it feasible for anybody familiar with the forms to join in and have fun.

I've heard of Mr. Crayon but never really heard their songs yet. Do they have a CD out already?

Kawal:

You may be the pioneer slide guitar player in Phil.
I'm curious how slide guitar will sound in an acoustic setting.

Offline 430nmtune

Blues
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 10:28:09 AM »
pinoymusika:

Thank you for the detailed account of the Phil blues scene.
Yes in most bands the guitarist just shines. But in the place I wrote about ALL players get to solo for a couple of verses. Even the  bass player and the drummer (heartbeat of the band) get to shine. The Jam night is when the musicians Pro or Am get their fun. While the blues can be boring, it is also the simplicity that makes it feasible for anybody familiar with the forms to join in and have fun.

I've heard of Mr. Crayon but never really heard their songs yet. Do they have a CD out already?

Kawal:

You may be the pioneer slide guitar player in Phil.
I'm curious how slide guitar will sound in an acoustic setting.

Offline 430nmtune

Blues
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 10:30:22 AM »
Sorry about the double post. I probably double tapped.

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Blues
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2005, 04:42:41 PM »
Quote from: kawal

boss, what about slide guitar type na blues or acoustic blues??

I know a couple of fantastic slide players (its hard to fnd these) and they aren't even professional musicians. The first is this guy named Dixie Mabanta  who is in the restaurant business. He owns the Cafe Mediterranean chain in all the malls. The other is a doctor, Dr. Ted Nicoloff (usually we just call him Dr. Ted - he used to play a lot at that Cajun place in Greenbelt 3) . One blues slide number is Statesboro Blues, popularized by the Allman Brothers. Dixie and Dr. Ted really rip on that one.

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Blues
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 04:47:01 PM »

Yes in most bands the guitarist just shines. But in the place I wrote about ALL players get to solo for a couple of verses. Even the  bass player and the drummer (heartbeat of the band) get to shine.

Well put it this way, you always hear about "great blues singers" and "great blues guitarists" - but when was the last time you heard of a great blues drummer or bassist? That's because they all get bored and end up playing rock and jazz in their own bands :)

There used to be a bar called Bluesland in Xavierville... I would jam there a lot with the bassist Rico (used to be with Cocojam and Jun Lopito) . Eventually we drifted apart from the blues and played reggae instead. hehe , at least that was rhythmically interesting!

But yes I agree the Blues is a good base for jams because the formula is easy to catch on for most players (there are only 3 chords).

Offline haey2

• Forum Fanatic
Blues
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2005, 11:20:25 AM »

Yes in most bands the guitarist just shines. But in the place I wrote about ALL players get to solo for a couple of verses. Even the  bass player and the drummer (heartbeat of the band) get to shine.

Well put it this way, you always hear about "great blues singers" and "great blues guitarists" - but when was the last time you heard of a great blues drummer or bassist? That's because they all get bored and end up playing rock and jazz in their own bands :)

There used to be a bar called Bluesland in Xavierville... I would jam there a lot with the bassist Rico (used to be with Cocojam and Jun Lopito) . Eventually we drifted apart from the blues and played reggae instead. hehe , at least that was rhythmically interesting!

But yes I agree the Blues is a good base for jams because the formula is easy to catch on for most players (there are only 3 chords).

blues is a great foundation for any musician..which im still trying to learn more since its nice to jam with,hehehe!!! bluesland was i think owned by mr. mike orosa, who plays real good blues too...and owns a great 70's les paul goldtop....hehehehe!!!
black moon creeping...

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Blues
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2005, 08:17:34 PM »
There is, but it's not big enough to warrant its own forum I think. I was in a blues band myself around 95-97. For a local blues album, I would recommend Lampano Alley, featuring Binky Lampano on vocals.

Also see
http://www.philmusic.com/zine/editorial/2003/10/101903_blues

Binky is back for a special one night engagement at 70's Bistro! On March 10!

See http://www.philmusic.com/blog/index.php?p=133

Offline teio

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Blues
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2005, 02:12:09 PM »
why not have a blues jamming session here?  8)
kung mag-isa ako... huwag nang isipin... sa dilim... ay dapat pa akong hanapin... habang may luha... ay huwag pang ibigin... sa pangarap ko... ay huwag nang gisingin...

Offline 430nmtune

Blues
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2005, 06:59:11 PM »
Jam sessions are always good for blues.
Meron bang blues bars sa Makati area?  Malate?

Offline buliwyf

Blues
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2005, 03:06:10 PM »
try chaquico's makati every thursday evening. you'll be surprised  8)

Offline 430nmtune

Blues
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2005, 05:07:56 PM »
Thank you. Ano ang address ng chaquico?

Offline 430nmtune

Blues
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2005, 05:07:59 PM »

Offline 430nmtune

Blues
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2005, 05:08:00 PM »

Offline rico_dedios

• Netizen Level
Blues
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2005, 09:06:44 AM »
I like blues a lot kaya lang nung umuwi ako halos lahat na ng band is into heavy stuff... Patay na ba ang blues sa pinas? Wish ko lang sana makauwe ako ulit dyan and form a hardcore blues band hayz...

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
Blues
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2005, 11:57:37 AM »
I like the style of Binky Lampano, Deans December pa lang promising na voice niya.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.