hulika

Author Topic: Differentiate Vinnie Colaiuta and Dave Weckl?  (Read 9153 times)

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Differentiate Vinnie Colaiuta and Dave Weckl?
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2007, 10:39:51 AM »

jp sino yang naka coat? evil stepbrother mo?

Offline plep

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2007, 01:17:31 PM »
may isa pa silang similarity... pareho silang nagdesign ng sarili nilang line ng cymbals. A Custom kay Colaiuta, HHX Evolution/Legacy kay Weckl.

sa tugtugan... Weckl plays the instrument, Colaiuta plays the music. gets?

kaso kung technical skill lang, pareho silang sobra sobra nun... eto o, kwento ni Steve Vai tungkol kay Colaiuta (nasa wikipedia 'to) na nakakabaliw:

"He's one of the most amazing sight-readers that ever existed on the instrument. One day we were in a Frank rehearsal, this was early '80s, and Frank brought in this piece of music called "Mo 'N Herb's Vacation." Just unbelievably complex. All the drums were written out, just like "The Black Page" except even more complex. There were these runs of like 17 over 3 and every drumhead is notated differently. And there were a whole bunch of people there, I think Bozzio was there. Vinnie had this piece of music on the stand to his right. To his left he had another music stand with a plate of sushi on it, okay? Now the tempo of the piece was very slow, like "The Black Page." And then the first riff came in, [mimics bizarre Zappa-esque drum rhythm patterns] with all these choking of cymbals, and hi-hat, ruffs, spinning of rototoms and all this crazy stuff. And I saw Vinnie reading this thing. Now, Vinnie has this habit of pushing his glasses up with the middle finger of his right hand. Well I saw him look at this one bar of music, it was the last bar of music on the page. He started to play it as he was turning the page with one hand, and then once the page was turned he continued playing the riff with his right hand, as he reached over with his left hand, grabbed a piece of sushi and put it in his mouth, continued the riff with his left hand and feet, pushed his glasses up, and then played the remaining part of the bar. It was the sickest thing I have ever seen. Frank threw his music up in the air. Bozzio turned around and walked away. I just started laughing."

GRABE NOH? haha
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 01:18:54 PM by plep »

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2007, 01:32:15 PM »
Both are amazing sight-readers, actually. I've witnessed that myself. Dave was playing for Oz Noy, and only got a chance to read the charts the day before, during their only rehearsal session.
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline ushuaia

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2007, 01:50:51 PM »
both plays great music through their instrument 8-) marvin is that the gig where weckl played the whole gig reading with glasses on? wonder how he looked like? kamuka ni vinnie? :-D

Offline plep

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2007, 01:51:35 PM »
Di ko naman sinabi na di magaling si Weckl sa ganyang pagbasa ng piyesa. I'm sure sobrang lupet din niya dun. Nakakatuwa lang talaga yung kwento... sumubo pa talaga ng sushi e! Wahahahah

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2007, 02:06:07 PM »
di naba naka mullet si dave weckl ngayon ? hehehe

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2007, 02:07:53 PM »
both plays great music through their instrument 8-) marvin is that the gig where weckl played the whole gig reading with glasses on? wonder how he looked like? kamuka ni vinnie? :-D

it was last month at the calalina jazz bar in hollywood. no, he wasn't wearing glasses.:-)
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline plep

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2007, 02:10:42 PM »
di naba naka mullet si dave weckl ngayon ? hehehe

hanggang ngayon pa rin? grabe naman.

actually parang ang hirap isipin na di siya nakamullet haha kahit sa pics na matino buhok niya, ineexpect ko pa rin na mahaba yung sa likod e

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2007, 02:14:12 PM »
signature niya yung mullet niya eh hehehe lahat ng instructionals niya kasi na napanood ko naka mullet siya with matching tank top hehehe

Offline toybitz

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2007, 04:18:16 PM »
hindi na mashadong naka mullet... one sided na yun latest na trend...emo drummer na si Weckl...
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline bassman88

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2007, 11:54:34 PM »
C Weckl ma-hand, c Vinnie ma-paa. hehehe. :p

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2007, 01:29:03 AM »
malaki braso ni weckl hehehe fafable