hulika

Author Topic: on adding drum tracks using cubase le  (Read 2157 times)

Offline blah

on adding drum tracks using cubase le
« on: August 17, 2007, 12:28:01 PM »
i need help obviously. :?
i cant seem to figure out how to add drum tracks on a project that ive been working on.

the help topics in the program itself aren't really inviting so dont bother directing me there--its giving me a headache just looking at it; although ive read parts of it, most of what ive read weren't even that useful--i always seem to be getting nowhere.

but like i said i did figure out some parts of it.. and correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure it has something to do with a drum map and adding a midi track.

in desperate need of your expertise!!
if possible, i need an idiots guide-ish, step-by-step, process!!
pls pls pls pls pls! :?
\"imitate, assimilate, and innovate.\"

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: on adding drum tracks using cubase le
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 01:25:05 PM »
Try getting some hints from this site, aside from steinbergusers.com. Also refer to the Tweakheadz Guides once in a while.

What are you using as a sound source? Softsynth or hardware module? In both cases, you will have to create a midi track with it's output assigned to the synth. For drums, most modules are fixed to midi channel 10. There is no need for drum mapping if the synth drums are GM mapped.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline blah

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 01:41:24 PM »
What are you using as a sound source? Softsynth or hardware module? In both cases, you will have to create a midi track with it's output assigned to the synth.

:-o you just lost me man haha
as a sound source im just using my pc speakers and a practice amp for monitor--so i guess that's a hardware module right?
i dont know if this will help you help me, but im using a zoom g2.iu for recording

For drums, most modules are fixed to midi channel 10. There is no need for drum mapping if the synth drums are GM mapped.

ahhh i see.. (i think, hehe :-D)

Try getting some hints from this site, aside from steinbergusers.com.

thanks ill try to be patient with this.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 01:59:49 PM »
Ganito yun... if you intend to add drums without a drum set in sight, you will have to add it using midi. I'm not sure if Cubase LE comes with the Unversal Sound Module, just search the steinberg directories for usm.dll. This is a GM-compatible software synthesizer that usually comes with Cubase. In a pinch, you can also use the Microsoft GS synth that comes with windows pero you will have to make sure that midi output is active in Cubase's Device Options, I think.

You will have to know something about midi to pull this off though. If you know a little something about Reason or Fruity Loops, you can create some rudimentary drum tracks at first, possibly import them into Cubase or even use Rewire, but we're getting ahead of ourselves here.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 02:11:51 PM »

okay okay, you don't have to call me an idiot.  hehe.  here's my guide:

1.  add midi track;
2.  add a drum vst instrument.  you might need to download some vst freebies off the net if cubase le does not have any;
3.  set it to whatever channel you like.  much better to put it as the first midi track to avoid midi timin probs.  some people have it kasi;
4.  program to taste.  some people like the drum midi track view, others prefer the piano roll,  up to you.

happy midi sequencin!

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline blah

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 02:47:28 PM »

okay okay, you don't have to call me an idiot.  hehe.  here's my guide:

me, idiot, you, expert.

now tell me.. how, record, vst instrument? hehe

its not reading it. i already set the input and output to: lm-7 (the drum vst)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 03:13:04 PM »
Set the input to your midi controller, not the LM7. Normally, Cubase receives in omni mode but you can set it specifically to a particular midi input port so long as you 'enable' it in Cubase's Device Setup. What are you using to input notes with?

The thing I don't like about Cubase's midi is that you have to draw a clip first before you can input notes manually via the piano roll view. Another thing I don't like is drawing in notes. Once you click on a note, you can't move it unless you change the pencil tool to an arrow tool. (Btw, drawing in notes allows you to add subtle changes to clip so that your drum track doesn't sound monotonous, the bane of most pattern type sequences that I hear lately).

And btw, we call ourselves midiots...  :-D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 03:53:49 PM by KitC »

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 03:46:50 PM »
And btw, we call ourselves midiots...  :-D

that sounds so wack...  haha.

@blah,
just be aware of the quantize function.  it's set in discreet steps.  if you want realistic drummin, or anythin vaguely realistic, just set it off.

i remain,
x! the midiot

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline blah

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 06:07:26 PM »
i figured it out!!! :-D

thanks fellow midiots! haha lol :lol: