hulika

Author Topic: anu maganda alto,soprano.or tenor?  (Read 8569 times)

Offline stepaul

• Philmusicus Noobitus
anu maganda alto,soprano.or tenor?
« on: October 08, 2010, 12:37:54 PM »
pa help namn po mga sir... mag aaral kasi ako mag sax.. wla pa akong alam anung una kung gagawin.. anu bibilhin.... salamat.. Godlbess

Offline MaxMidletone

Re: anu maganda alto,soprano.or tenor?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 10:07:29 AM »
Karamihan ng nag-uumpisa sir alto ang choice.. pero ok din daw tenor according sa mga old posts sa ibang threads dito.. mas mahirap yata mag-start sa soprano eh..

Offline mozart123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 02:16:34 PM »
me nagpost na ng research link dito. o magbasa ka sa sax on the web forum daming information dun.
check out my new page:Condo for sale Luzon.

Offline randypogi

• Netizen Level
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 08:54:06 AM »
start with alto or tenor first.  you will never go wrong either of the two. 
choosing between the two depends on your preference:

1.  try holding both saxophones and get the feel of weight & size
2.  your height?  what does it mean?  for a tall sax player (i.e. 5'10" up) an alto looks small. 
3.  the ergonamics - try to place your fingers on top of the keys and get the feel of it.  ask someone (sax player) to help you or
     ask the seller how is it played (for beginners).
4.  then comes the budget...invest on good brands: conn, king, buescher etc.  if you have the budget you can get a selmer ($$$$).   :-D
     you will never go wrong with vintage model.  the price range is Php 18,000 - Php 25,000.  you might encounter intonation
     problems with china & taiwan (especially the cheap ones) made saxophones.  it will be more expensive later on when you upgrade. 

IMHO.  hope this helps.

Offline encore

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 04:02:24 PM »
Hi bro.

Welcome to sax world! Pareho maganda yung alto and tenor. Para sa akin sweet and smooth ang sound ng tenor kasama narin na mas maganda ang porma :-)

Yung alto naman bro ganda din ng tunog at meron din siyang sariling attributes.

I started sa alto now moving up to tenor. Konting adjustment lang ng embouchure sa tenor kasi it needs more air to blow specially the low notes.

If you are just starting bro. you can choose alto using soft reeds ( No. 1 or 1.5) para di ka ma-discourage sa simula.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Offline stepaul

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 11:19:32 AM »
salamat sir sa info.. sang stores kaya makakabili ng magandang sax. dito kasi ako sa mindanao, South Cotabato! wala akong alam san ako makakabili....
start with alto or tenor first.  you will never go wrong either of the two. 
choosing between the two depends on your preference:

1.  try holding both saxophones and get the feel of weight & size
2.  your height?  what does it mean?  for a tall sax player (i.e. 5'10" up) an alto looks small. 
3.  the ergonamics - try to place your fingers on top of the keys and get the feel of it.  ask someone (sax player) to help you or
     ask the seller how is it played (for beginners).
4.  then comes the budget...invest on good brands: conn, king, buescher etc.  if you have the budget you can get a selmer ($$$$).   :-D
     you will never go wrong with vintage model.  the price range is Php 18,000 - Php 25,000.  you might encounter intonation
     problems with china & taiwan (especially the cheap ones) made saxophones.  it will be more expensive later on when you upgrade. 

IMHO.  hope this helps.
Godbless...

Offline randypogi

• Netizen Level
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 03:57:27 PM »
salamat sir sa info.. sang stores kaya makakabili ng magandang sax. dito kasi ako sa mindanao, South Cotabato! wala akong alam san ako makakabili.... Godbless...

sir, are you considering buying a brand new saxophone?  you can inquire with GA yupangco stores (local dealer of yamaha) and
JB music.  i read somewhere here in the forum, there is a store selling saxophones in libis near mercury drug head office. 
this i got to see.  for vintage brands, you can check the saxes for sale. ask fellow forum members or contact the sax repair experts, they might know
someone selling or they have in there inventory for sale items.

Offline mozart123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 04:31:51 PM »
bumili ka na lang ng brand new sa manila tapos dagdag ka ng pera pa shipped mo sa mindanao.

kase kung bibili ka ng segunda mano  dadalhin mo pa sa saxtech e malamang wala nagrepair sa south cotobato yan.

maswerte ka kung me magpost dito na taga mindanao nagbebenta ng saxophone at pwede mo matesting kung me tunog. e paano kung me prublema!?

iba iba tunog ng saxophone alam mo ba kung ano modelo at ano tatak ang gusto mo!?

basa ka ng sotw forum me nagpost na ng research link.
check out my new page:Condo for sale Luzon.

Offline encore

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 07:37:03 PM »

Hi bro. browse kalang dito, sana makatulong www.olx.com.ph. dami jan sa Cebu and Davao at least malapit-lapit at marami kang mga options.

Happy hunting!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 07:38:25 PM by encore »

Offline stepaul

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 10:37:48 PM »
yun nga sir eh. wla pa talga akong alam kung anu maganda na d masyado mahal.. heheh salamat talga sa advice
bumili ka na lang ng brand new sa manila tapos dagdag ka ng pera pa shipped mo sa mindanao.

kase kung bibili ka ng segunda mano  dadalhin mo pa sa saxtech e malamang wala nagrepair sa south cotobato yan.

maswerte ka kung me magpost dito na taga mindanao nagbebenta ng saxophone at pwede mo matesting kung me tunog. e paano kung me prublema!?

iba iba tunog ng saxophone alam mo ba kung ano modelo at ano tatak ang gusto mo!?

basa ka ng sotw forum me nagpost na ng research link.

Offline Chil

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 07:44:34 PM »
Hi! I have plans of buying a 2nd hand soprano sax.  Price is Php33K. Forgot to ask the brand.  Is this a good buy?
I dont know how to play yet but would like to know how much harder is it than an alto sax.  I played the clarinet decades ago and dont know if that has an effect on my capability to learn soprano sax. 
Im 5'0" and i find an alto sax too big.
Thanks!

Offline wacks08

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 11:21:40 AM »
I have tried different kinds of saxophones, I started in alto when I was in high school, then tried tenor and even the baritone sax ( at the age of 15), and when I went back in playing I went to alto again, and now I am holding a straight LA soprano sax. I can say that there nothing better to start with the alto sax, these sax gives you flexibility,it can reach as high as the note of soprano and as low as tenor (if you really learn how the finger and blowing technique).It is also better to use in adlibs and low tone backgrounds. But wether its a soprano, alto, tenor or baritone, the most important thing to consider is the setup of your sax (brand of sax,reeds,mouthpiece etc.) and the determination to learn and open mind for all suggestions and comments of all sax players (not only experts), sometimes looks doesn't really important what important is your passion. kung ano po ang nararamdaman nyo, kung ano ang gusto nyong maachieve na tunog. As long as you enjoying playing don't mind if the instrument is too big or to small in your size. I hope this will help  you..

with regards of picking a sax, it depends nga rin sa budget mo.. but when it comes to quality syempre yung mga legacy branded.. according to some sax players that who I talked, yung mga sax that are made from china specially sa raon quiapo and some shopping store sa SM medyo palyado... kaya mura... at hindi nagtatagal..unlike kung sa mga second hand specially the legacy one like, mark vi sax (how I wish makakuha tayo).. mahal nga pero the best ang quality...by the way I am selling a 2nd hand alto sax, looks brand new conn 20m,please let me know if you are intersted.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:31:45 AM by wacks08 »

Offline JDennis

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 12:08:02 PM »
...by the way I am selling a 2nd hand alto sax, looks brand new conn 20m,please let me know if you are intersted.

Excellent segue, wacks08. Nice try, very nice try! :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 12:11:13 PM by JDennis »

Offline Chil

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 01:20:26 PM »
Thanks Wacks. Saw your ad at sulit.com.  Will seriously think about getting an alto instead.  Btw, the soprano sax is brand new and Jupiter yung brand.  Would appreciate any info on the performance of the brand.  thanks.

Offline wacks08

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 03:40:35 PM »
Thanks Wacks. Saw your ad at sulit.com.  Will seriously think about getting an alto instead.  Btw, the soprano sax is brand new and Jupiter yung brand.  Would appreciate any info on the performance of the brand.  thanks.

with regards to brand, I don't have any idea about the real price ng Jupiter. But from what I heard from my co sax player, maganda naman daw sya(Jupiter) sa tenor sax.but with the soprano sax itself I consider the soprano kasi as second instrument which more sax player do also. Soprano sax is good in solos and not joining with other horn instrument except with other sax (e.g. soprano and alto, soprano and tenor) and I would definitely sure na hindi ka magsisi, my previous client can prove about using alto sax as your first instrument (di ba sir jdennis?), pero kaya nga its your preference, mas gusto mo ba ang mala Kenny G? kasi more on soprano ang gamit nya.. its up to you..

Offline yeyeh

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 03:55:21 PM »
nawitness na ng tenga ko yung alto conn 20m na benta ni wacks mr chil!good buy yun!brandnew condition pati tunog winner men!no joke.kung may extra money lang ako, kinuha ko naren yun.

Offline deyb kos

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 06:26:27 PM »
Just my experience with my curved soprano. It is difficult to maintain consistent tone intonation, a problem which does not happen to me when I play my alto. Even a slight change of embochure would alter the tone. Of course, this is not a problem for the pros but for me who is just an amateur, having this issue is quite frustrating.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 06:29:40 PM by deyb kos »

Offline wacks08

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 07:28:05 PM »
Just my experience with my curved soprano. It is difficult to maintain consistent tone intonation, a problem which does not happen to me when I play my alto. Even a slight change of embochure would alter the tone. Of course, this is not a problem for the pros but for me who is just an amateur, having this issue is quite frustrating.

Don't be so fraustrated atty,.Lahat naman po nagagawa sa practice...  di ba laging sinasabi ni sir tots,walang imposible kung laging tayong magpapractice.. kahit mga ilang pros sir, namomroblema din po lalo na kung bago po yung sax sa kanila.. pero syempre dahil sa sax, naayos nila po ang tunog... siguro we just need to adjust and soon you can have it..

Offline Chil

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 11:38:58 PM »
Torn between the sound that I love which I'll get from a soprano and the reality that with zero experience, I might just get frustrated.  Ganito pala sumali ng forum.  Appreciate all the help and tips.  Will decide within the week.  Thanks everyone.

Offline wacks08

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 12:20:18 AM »
Torn between the sound that I love which I'll get from a soprano and the reality that with zero experience, I might just get frustrated.  Ganito pala sumali ng forum.  Appreciate all the help and tips.  Will decide within the week.  Thanks everyone.

Please don't think about the fraustrations because you can't achieve immediately the sound you want, please think how will you keep enjoying playing the sax, wether its soprano or alto, because in any kinds of music, the key to produce nice sounds and music is to keep practicing and enjoying what you are doing. And then with the positive thoughts in playing these musical instruments, nothing is imposible, you might then realize that all your determination and practices, there will be a good results, just be patient and keep your focus in achieving your mission.

Offline wacks08

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 12:34:06 AM »
I would like to share you this scene, I think this might help you at least. Lahat naman po nagsisimula sa mahirap na bagay, from the start you in learning how to stand up or walk, di po ba nahirapan din kayo nung bata pa?? Hope you have a time to watch this video clip:

Offline Chil

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 12:47:26 PM »
Wow! very inspirational.  Want to watch the entire movie tuloy. Thanks Wacks!

Offline wacks08

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 01:25:25 PM »
Wow! very inspirational.  Want to watch the entire movie tuloy. Thanks Wacks!

no problem po..just keep on playing good music... always think that the key to create a good sound comes from the mind.. just like mr. holland said "play with the sunset".