hulika

Author Topic: A question on playback during recording...  (Read 1686 times)

Offline rye715

• Forum Fanatic
A question on playback during recording...
« on: April 06, 2014, 04:02:46 PM »
Hi guys. I am a beginner when it comes to recording via PC, and since I got a new multifx with a built-in audio interface, I've just started testing how to record.

Here is my simple setup as of now.

When I record and also play what I've recorded, I hear the recorded sound from my guitar amp, and not from the laptop's speakers. I know I am doing something wrong, probably regarding either the Playback settings or where the Output is getting diverted to. Please help me and if you can suggest/recommend better setups in my situation.

Thank you :)
"Musicians are, in a sense, able to manipulate energy in the form of sound. We are able to understand the nature of sound and mold it to our liking. Among other kinds of professions, we are the ones who can wield energy in one of its purest forms."

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: A question on playback during recording...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 05:10:34 PM »
The laptop's sound device could be bypassed, since you are using the Line6 as an audio interface.

Offline coy_2cute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 06:43:48 PM »
Configure your laptop to use the built-in speaker/sound card instead of the Line 6's audio interface.
Session Bassist here! Doing bass duties for Pulsera, •Rael• and The Very First Hey! Hire me! I'm Available!

Offline Nelson de Leon

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 10:49:45 PM »
Configure your laptop to use the built-in speaker/sound card instead of the Line 6's audio interface.

Question sir, isn't it better to use the line 6 instead of the built-in sound card?

Offline coy_2cute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 10:48:00 AM »
Question sir, isn't it better to use the line 6 instead of the built-in sound card?

Yes, you can do just that. But I think the line6's USB audio interface is not intended to be an  audio interface for playback. Or you can use a dedicated USB audio interface for that.

When I record and also play what I've recorded, I hear the recorded sound from my guitar amp, and not from the laptop's speakers. I know I am doing something wrong, probably regarding either the Playback settings or where the Output is getting diverted to. Please help me and if you can suggest/recommend better setups in my situation.
Session Bassist here! Doing bass duties for Pulsera, •Rael• and The Very First Hey! Hire me! I'm Available!

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 02:02:26 PM »
Hi guys. I am a beginner when it comes to recording via PC, and since I got a new multifx with a built-in audio interface, I've just started testing how to record.

Here is my simple setup as of now.

Thank you :)

install ASIO4ALL, then route your outputs to your laptop soundcard.

But my advice, get a better audio interface. :)
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline Nelson de Leon

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 02:17:07 PM »
Yes, you can do just that. But I think the line6's USB audio interface is not intended to be an  audio interface for playback. Or you can use a dedicated USB audio interface for that.

Thanks. I was in the impression that since the TS used the ADC of the line 6, by using the line 6 DAC naman, you would get the same sonic signature of the brand.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 android using tapatim.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 08:50:23 AM »
TS - you never mentioned what drivers you are using. AFAIK, Line6 usually has asio and wdm/mme drivers for its products so there is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED to use asio4all. It only will compound your installation problems. I suggest using asio with the HD500x but remember, asio only recognizes a single audio device so if the Line6 is the input, it should also be the output - you will not hear any output from the laptop. You can use wdm drivers and set your DAW to recognize all I/O, but this comes with a price... increased latency. A little digging around comes up with this: http://line6.com/support/topic/1648-pod-hd500x-usb-connection-issue/

You should be able to monitor using the Line6 headphone/line outputs. Considering that it is most likely superior to your laptop's audio I/O, it is better to use the line6 instead. Don't make the line6 the system default for your laptop's audio. That way you can use the laptop normally during non-recording sessions, but ALWAYS, I repeat, ALWAYS make sure that the line6 is the primary AND ONLY recognized I/O in your DAW.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire