hulika

Author Topic: ISTANBUL cymbals thread  (Read 170092 times)

Offline technical1

Re: ISTANBUL cymbals thread
« Reply #525 on: March 13, 2012, 02:48:01 PM »
mehmet po madalas ko makita sa lazer sir peja  :-D

Offline vandal

« Reply #526 on: March 14, 2012, 03:37:21 PM »
Sound clips as requested!!
feature=youtu.be

panalo! :) beautiful wash.
Smart has the brains but stupid has the balls.

Offline ushuaia

« Reply #527 on: March 14, 2012, 05:23:46 PM »
sabi ko na nga ba. rebranding lang talaga tong ibang brands ngayon. luge tayo mahal pa ng singil!!!

which is readily available dito sa pinas, istanbul agop? or istanbul mehmet? ung dalawang brand available po ba sa lazer? d ko masyadong na basa ung ibang post. hehe.

hindi rebranded yun,blanks lang ang supply ni diril. lathing,hammering etc paiste na

Offline jobo_ph

« Reply #528 on: March 14, 2012, 11:45:27 PM »
A newbie drummer and currently using Sabian XS20 cymbal set (plus 16" AA Extra-Thin Crash and 10" AAX Splash)...

I was at Lazer SM Calamba this afternoon to buy some Vater sticks. The staff there were nice and courteous and were even willing to let me audition the Samatyas. Just couldn't do it properly because the Taye drumset they had at the store was behind rows of electric guitars on stands (shop was small). Maybe some other time.

I only have a minute perspective of sound/weights based on Sabian's products and I'm looking at versatile (leaning on bright) cymbals with medium top-heavy bottom hats, medium or medium-heavy ride, medium-thin crashes.

Reading this thread, nakaka-curious i-explore/subukan ang Istanbul. :)

Wondering which of Samatya or Radiant series would be similar/close to Sabian's AA series? Or am I barking at the wrong tree?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:46:57 PM by jobo_ph »
Tama Silverstar * Sabian XS20/AA/AAX * Evans heads * VF/Vater 5A
Ovation Viper * Ibanez ART100DX * Maestro EO-1 * VHT Special 12/20 * V30 cab * TW * FD2 * OCD * MS-70CDR * TT * AMT Wah
Ibanez SR505 * Ibanez Promethean P3115

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #529 on: March 15, 2012, 12:43:51 AM »

Reading this thread, nakaka-curious i-explore/subukan ang Istanbul. :)

Wondering which of Samatya or Radiant series would be similar/close to Sabian's AA series? Or am I barking at the wrong tree?

Bro magkaiba sila. If you're happy w/ Sabians then stay there. Ako kasi at one point became frustrated to new releases ng Zildjians specially the K Custom lines. Clangy na sobra and wala na ung darkness. I then bought  Meinl Byzance pero turn off ang price nila here from Lyric. Then Istanbul came. Started w/ Sultans and i never went back to Zildjians. ANg itinira ko lang na Zildjians ko ay yung mga year 2000 and below and production date.
"I BELIEVE IN CHRIST LIKE I BELIEVE IN THE SUN. NOT BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT, BUT BY IT, I CAN SEE EVERYONE ELSE....."

Offline revelaxionz09

« Reply #530 on: March 15, 2012, 04:15:25 PM »
may radiant series user ba dito? any reviews mga sir? thanks!  :)

Offline jobo_ph

« Reply #531 on: March 16, 2012, 09:46:22 AM »
Bro magkaiba sila. If you're happy w/ Sabians then stay there. Ako kasi at one point became frustrated to new releases ng Zildjians specially the K Custom lines. Clangy na sobra and wala na ung darkness. I then bought  Meinl Byzance pero turn off ang price nila here from Lyric. Then Istanbul came. Started w/ Sultans and i never went back to Zildjians. ANg itinira ko lang na Zildjians ko ay yung mga year 2000 and below and production date.

I'm happy with my current Sabians for my current purposes as a learning drummer. However, I guess it is a regular cycle for drummers (especially newbies) to be curious and having the itch to try a lot of things before settling on what they really prefer. Hence my curiousity at different makes and models of cymbals. Unfortunately, it gets expensive and the Isanbul Mehmets have good price points, hence my consideration.

I hope to still audition Istanbul Mehmet's cymbal lines one of these days and find out if I can like them.

Salamat sa insight, Sandy. You're a seasoned/experienced drummer and I appreciate sharing your thoughts on this matter.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 09:55:49 AM by jobo_ph »
Tama Silverstar * Sabian XS20/AA/AAX * Evans heads * VF/Vater 5A
Ovation Viper * Ibanez ART100DX * Maestro EO-1 * VHT Special 12/20 * V30 cab * TW * FD2 * OCD * MS-70CDR * TT * AMT Wah
Ibanez SR505 * Ibanez Promethean P3115

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #532 on: March 18, 2012, 04:13:28 PM »

I hope to still audition Istanbul Mehmet's cymbal lines one of these days and find out if I can like them.

Be careful what you wish for! Hahaha!!!! Yan ang early stages ng G.A.S. Hahaha

If you want you can audition mine!!!
"I BELIEVE IN CHRIST LIKE I BELIEVE IN THE SUN. NOT BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT, BUT BY IT, I CAN SEE EVERYONE ELSE....."

Offline vandal

« Reply #533 on: March 18, 2012, 04:20:52 PM »
saw a size 22 turk ride sa lazer ali mall kahapon. di ko na tinest. mahirap na. :lol:
Smart has the brains but stupid has the balls.

Offline technical1

« Reply #534 on: March 19, 2012, 10:28:20 AM »
Be careful what you wish for! Hahaha!!!! Yan ang early stages ng G.A.S. Hahaha

If you want you can audition mine!!!

sir sandy question lang po  :-) ano pong line ng istanbul ang mabilis ang decay ? thanks  :idea:

btw congrats sa privelege card  >:D asteeg! :D

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #535 on: March 19, 2012, 05:09:50 PM »
Hi bro!! Salamat!! Hahaha!!

Try mo mga Turk and Origin series. ANo ba music mo baka matulungan kita sa sound?

Offline technical1

« Reply #536 on: March 19, 2012, 05:41:40 PM »
Hi bro!! Salamat!! Hahaha!!

Try mo mga Turk and Origin series. ANo ba music mo baka matulungan kita sa sound?

hahaha welcome sir! metal po ang genre namin   :-)

sir sandy ano po pala masasabi nio sa Sultan Ride na istanbul ok na po kaya yun as a beginner ?   :idea:  thanks
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 05:46:29 PM by technical1 »

Offline dictatone

« Reply #537 on: March 20, 2012, 04:06:58 PM »
online xcerpts

The lines can be roughly and somewhat arbitrarily divided into three categories:

Most suitable for Jazz :   Nostalgia, MC Jazz,  Mehmet Legend, Turk, Vezir,  the Tribute and Anniversary Rides, Origin Dark  ***   Most suitable for Rock:  Radiant,  Murathan,  Funky Rock, Session  ***  For All Genres: Traditional,  Sultan,  Onurhan and Emirhan, Origin, Vezir,  Mehmet Legend, Legend Dark, Session. The  Xperience  series conveniently designates  Jazz,  Metal,  and Effect models.

Traditional
  Fully lathed, the classic Turkish cymbals, the "Avedis" of  IM, with the widest variety of models and sizes: crashes from "paper-thin" to "heavy" weights, 6 different rides,  4 kinds of hats, splashes, bells, Chinas, Pangs,  the works...

Sultan
  Stripes of lathed and unlathed on top, unlathed bell, lathed on bottom.  Among my personal favourites. Great balance of energy and dryness, like good champagne. The crashes tend to be medium-thin to thin,  feel light and airy, and have relatively little tonal body with perfect hissssssss ! Terrific in the studio, but loud enough for most  un-miked gigs (except Heavy Metal and the like).

Onurhan and Emirhan
  Wider stripes of lathed/unlathed than Sultan,  more heft , volume and tonal body;  nicely "explosive" without being overpowering. Two separate lines w/ different lathing patterns: the warmer, drier  Onurhan,  and the brighter, more cutting/piercing  Emirhan.  Crashes tend to be medium-ish: weight- and  sound-wise right between Sultan and Murathan. Great all-rounder series .

Radiant and Murathan
  The Rock series, highly polished , mostly heavier, with  more tonal body, and louder than other lines , cymbals of choice for rockers all over Europe. Radiant  have the classic lathing pattern and are lighter,  Murathan models (raw/polished) are designated specifically for Hard Rock  and Metal (ala "Rude"), can take hard hitting and can be very loud, but -being handmade Turkish cymbals- they also respond to a softer touch, and easily shine in other genres. The crashes- medium to full- tend to have a full-bodied "explosion" with a clean finish,  sound  and feel nothing like the  clang-y "rock crashes" of the Mac-(dj)ians.  "...Heavy metal thunder.."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Nostalgia
 See independent  review at  http://www.drumdojo.com/istanbul_nostalga_2.htm .  As of  2010 the Nostalgia series has been reworked: a slightly changed
profile with a more gradual  transition from bell  to bow,  and a small traditional logo- all  done by Mehmet's "Special Production Team", headed by the man himself, which now handles all the high-end lines. New:  now available in Nostalgia 70s  Rides (smooth bell bridge) and Nostalgia  50s  Rides ("umbrella" profile). These new models are turning out to be  very popular (and much more affordable)  Old K substitutes .
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Mehmet Legend/Legend Dark
  See independent glowing review  at http://jazztimes.com/articles/14202-istanbul-mehmet-legend-cymbals .  "..perfect traditional jazz cymbals.." ( the Mehmet equivalent of  Agop's  Mel Lewis series),  but I happily use the 19" C/R in a rock band setting, and love the precise stick definition over the controlled silvery wash.  I also really like the new  Legend Dark (2009) series. The rides are sort of  "a less wealthy man's" versions of the MT Anniversary Ride (similar lathing pattern, but raw bell, and heavier) .

X-perience
  Haven't seen or heard them in person. Pricey.  The  X-Jazz Mehmet Sign. Dark  Series (20" Ride, 14" Sizzle Hats) are a limited edition w/ only 250 pieces per model made.

Origin/Origin Dark                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  A more recent series, the medium weight, fully lathed Origin, and the lighter , jazz-weight, unlathed, heavily
hammered Origin Dark.  Beautiful high-end cymbals w/ rich musical sounds.  Rides, crashes, and hats available. 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Legend Dark Ride
MC Jazz
  Yet another gorgeous jazz series, introduced at NAMM 2010.  Raw smooth bell, deep dark lathe pattern top and bottom, described as a dark version of the Mikael Z Ride -same profile.  Dry, dark. "washy", vintage.  20", 22" Rides, 18" Crash, 14",15" hats. Pricey!

Jesus my strenght and my refuge!

Offline gss

• Veteran Member
« Reply #538 on: March 21, 2012, 05:43:15 PM »
For around two months now, sabay ko ginagamit yung istanbul cymbals ko - 14 samatya hihat, 16 samatya crash, 18 sultan crash (except the 20in samatya ride kasi naubusan nako ng pagkakabitan  <_<) with a k 19in dark thin crash ('96 series) and K 16in custom hybrid crash ('07 series)...what can I say...yung zildjians maganda kung sa maganda, malinis...kung idedescribe ko e well-behaved ang tunog...standard na maganda and straightforward, consistent and predictable...but then yung istanbuls pano ba ito...di ko kasi madescribe ng mabuti, honestly nahihirapan ako idescribe...kumbaga sa super model e may x-factor talaga na sa tingin ko yun ang edge nya sa zildjians...ang sound kasi ng istanbuls e unique for every cymbal so, in my opinion, it's a totally different experience from one istanbul owner to the next...i don't think you can say the same thing with the zildjians...

if only i have the right equipment to record them together... :-( 

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #539 on: March 21, 2012, 11:24:10 PM »
Eto mga classifications/ sound description ng cymbal metals of diff brands

Zildjian = Clangy, Harsh, projects well
Sabian = Warm w/ bit of clangy sound. Projection is medium
Paiste = glassy, crystal bright, clean, consistent.
Turkish Metals = Warm, wobbly, woody, long decay, can be medium bright.

Well opinion ko lang yan..

Offline revelaxionz09

« Reply #540 on: March 23, 2012, 11:06:08 AM »
reviews ko sa 18" sultan crash, parang armand thin crash pero mas dryer mas controlled ang overtones. isang word para ma describe ang istanbul mehmet pies "COMPLEX yung sound", which is nowadays nawawala na sa mga mass produce na cymbals ng big 3. well, in my opinion lang po ito. peace. happy drumming.  :)

Offline gss

• Veteran Member
« Reply #541 on: March 26, 2012, 09:01:44 AM »
"COMPLEX yung sound"

exactly how i wanted to describe it...nadali mo sir :wave:

Offline kenwood_geronga

« Reply #542 on: March 26, 2012, 02:38:37 PM »
I would like to take this opportunity to thank Sir Lee and his team for letting us all the Istanbul Hi Hat series available at Lazer Ali Mall. Panalo yung 15" X Perience x Jazz Fusion Hats and 14" Traditional.  :mrgreen:
History teaches us that man does not learn from History.

Offline pejadanza

« Reply #543 on: March 26, 2012, 02:47:07 PM »
I would like to take this opportunity to thank Sir Lee and his team for letting us all the Istanbul Hi Hat series available at Lazer Ali Mall. Panalo yung 15" X Perience x Jazz Fusion Hats and 14" Traditional.  :mrgreen:

magkano ung price sa hats sir???
Pearl Masterworks, Sabian, Gibraltar, Roland, Mackie, Sennhieser

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #544 on: March 26, 2012, 03:03:56 PM »
Meron bang 14in traditional hi hats dito??

Offline kenwood_geronga

« Reply #545 on: March 26, 2012, 03:10:54 PM »
magkano ung price sa hats sir???
around 11k-13k depende sa series sir.

Offline kenwood_geronga

« Reply #546 on: March 26, 2012, 03:28:04 PM »
Meron bang 14in traditional hi hats dito??
meron sir yun yung una namin na nagustuhan, then nilabas ni sir lee yung x jazz fusion, ayun tapos ang usapan. 

Offline Mr.cLEEn

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #547 on: March 28, 2012, 06:33:41 PM »
your welcome bro!  :-D

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #548 on: March 28, 2012, 10:17:39 PM »
Presenting my 14in Radiant Rock Hi Hats!!! Sarap!!!

Offline lizsa12

• Veteran Member
« Reply #549 on: March 29, 2012, 05:38:57 PM »
Presenting my 14in Radiant Rock Hi Hats!!! Sarap!!!

soundclips sir! :-D