hulika

Author Topic: which pups shall i buy for a aka slash tone? and how much?  (Read 1478 times)

Offline stiffhands

if u have any ideas i will really be glad if u give some advices thank you very much!
S> FENDER TELECASTER STANDARD MIM http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,127907.0.html, BRAND NEW HM100=1.3k

Offline soryano

Re: which pups shall i buy for a aka slash tone? and how much?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 08:19:46 AM »
Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro Pickups. I think that is what he uses.

Offline stiffhands

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 08:21:40 AM »
how much naman kaya un sir? :-D
S> FENDER TELECASTER STANDARD MIM http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,127907.0.html, BRAND NEW HM100=1.3k

Offline stiffhands

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 08:24:45 AM »
neck and bridge pick ups?for lespaul? any ideas?

Offline wh1t33rick

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 08:26:32 AM »
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Around $80
"I Don't care what they say about me but it's alright..they'll get it one day.."

Make God Famous

Offline stiffhands

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 08:31:11 AM »
i see...specifically for the neck and bridge pups?what kind of seymour duncans?alcino II?is that a set already?

Offline gjuanengo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 12:07:05 PM »
Alnico II Pro Humbuckers.

Sold per piece, around 4,200 at Audiophile.

Comes in a calibrated bridge and neck model.

(But if i were you, its easier to get the slash tone by using yourt amp and eq to tailor the tone.)
Get Wylde.

Offline IncX

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 12:10:45 PM »
Alnico II Pro Humbuckers.

Sold per piece, around 4,200 at Audiophile.

Comes in a calibrated bridge and neck model.

(But if i were you, its easier to get the slash tone by using yourt amp and eq to tailor the tone.)

+1 on this.

i bet you still wont get the slash tone after you got those PUP's... thats my experience with getting a washburn dime when i was 16 ... i thought id plug it to my 20 watt amp and imagine id sound like cowboys from hell... NO! it sounded far from cowboys from hell, although i have to say i love the guitars sound.

until this day i still do not sound like dimebag... but its because i began enjoying my sound, and just quit the "i wanna have the dimebag tone" thing.

in restrospect, if i knew better, i would have gotten a randall head and a 4x12 cab - that definitely would have brought me closer to the dimebag tone.

Offline stiffhands

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 12:13:59 PM »
hmmm so, which pups shall i buy?i dont have the budget for alcino pups too though.. any suggestions? i hav an ibby lespaul.

Offline IncX

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 12:25:16 PM »
hmmm so, which pups shall i buy?i dont have the budget for alcino pups too though.. any suggestions? i hav an ibby lespaul.

i hope you wont be offended when i ask you these things:

*what sound are you looking for? fatter? more treble? more midrange? more output?
*have you tried an EQ (borrow it from a friend muna)?
*have you tried stompboxes or modding stomp boxes ( a badmonkey costs $40 and a boston is 1.6K php brand new)?
*what do you think of your clean tone?
*what amp are you using? watts?

im asking this, because unless your pickup feedbacks like crazy, or that it sounds muddy and lifeless, you probably dont need a new set of pickups.

a big big part of slash's sound comes from his JCM heads... i believe he has a signature model out now for a long time. its a copy of the ones he used on appetite for destruction.

Offline stiffhands

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 12:31:18 PM »
i wont be offended im thankful pa nga e! hehe! i dont know much about this things. btw, i just bought a lazer pickups 2 humbuckers because someone told me its ok for a slash tone.(really?) i didnt tested it yet cause my guitar is still with sir jon. whats an eq? modding /stomp boxes?  :? (sorry noob)  :lol:

Offline IncX

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 12:40:21 PM »
i wont be offended im thankful pa nga e! hehe! i dont know much about this things. btw, i just bought a lazer pickups 2 humbuckers because someone told me its ok for a slash tone.(really?) i didnt tested it yet cause my guitar is still with sir jon. whats an eq? modding /stomp boxes?  :? (sorry noob)  :lol:

BAMF has a pair of lazer pickups, and quite honestly, i thought it sounded bigger than the ibanez humbuckers. you might wanna check out BAMF and send him a message because he can do things to those lazer pickups.

if you dont go with the BAMF route, then yep, you should get a new set of PUP's, hehe. there are PAF's here for sale 2k each. you just have to spot them. i can suggest you seymour duncan 59's. i dont know how much they cost, but it is on my guitar and i trip out with sweet child there at times.

EQ = equalizer. im talking about the stompbox (pedal - of you dont know what this is, i suggest you go to a music shop and ask)... you can tweak various frequencies there to make it sound bigger.

Modding = the process of adding or removing  component/s in a stock pedal you bought, to make it sound different.

anyway, i suggest you check out the FAQ ... you can learn a lot there as a beginner.

and finally:

i advice you NOT TO GET CRAZY with gear first (borrow and test them at home as much as you can, if your friends wont let you borrow, bring your guitar and test HIS GEAR in his house *lol*). if you really are a beginner, you should practice on your chops, until you are ready to play live ... and when that time comes, i think you will know what you want.

if budget is not a problem with you... buy all you want, hehehe... its probably better than having cars as a hobby.

Offline stiffhands

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 12:53:21 PM »
hahaha yeah! thanks thats an advice hehehe!  :-) maybe i'll ask bamf. u think it is much cheaper and better than buying duncans or pafs?

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 01:28:37 PM »
hey guys pwede rin naman makuha yung tone sa pick-ups eh. I got myself an EMG DG20 and it sounded pretty close sa clean tones ni DG himself, with the lead tones I'm still working on it, wala ako Tube Driver eh Vintage RAT lang haha! :lol:
pero siyempre consider your pedals and amp, I think it's something like this: 60% guitar player skill,15% guitar (including pups),10% amp, 10% pedals?haha ewan. :lol:

Offline stiffhands

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 01:32:42 PM »
hehe tnx sa mga advice niyo!  :-D