hulika

Author Topic: Question about local pop artists and cover songs...  (Read 31950 times)

Offline tikimusicster

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Re: Question about local pop artists and cover songs...
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2007, 08:56:12 PM »
They play American or British pop music because their own music is patterned after that and many Filipino listeners like that type of music.

If you listen to the average Pinoy pop song, it is usually an American pop song with Filipino lyrics. The instruments, arrangement, song lengths, and so on are the same.

In contrast, listen to Indian pop songs.

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2007, 10:59:51 PM »
Pop artists cover bucketloads of songs because the sad fact is that they don't know how to write songs. Singers and songwriters are two different things.

Powtah, pasalamat tayo 'kamo na hindi na active si Jose Mari Chan! Nyiiikkes!!!

If you listen to the average Pinoy pop song, it is usually an American pop song with Filipino lyrics. The instruments, arrangement, song lengths, and so on are the same.

all true
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2007, 06:50:52 AM »
this industry is full of people who think they have a better idea, and yet stay in the safety of their freedom of expression or whatever right they have to voice their opinions, without really taking any step, whether little or significant, to effect change, whether little or significant.
ok, I see whats going on now...
I tried my best to be very open minded in this "discussion" in a "public" forum about music  but I know better now...

- as long as I'm an outsider/newbie/not a professional musician/amateur/nobody  looking from the outside in, i am deemed not worthy of saying any opinion/suggestion nor am i worthy of criticizing and voicing any kind of opinion whether it be good or bad... helpful or not....

- also it seems the only one who has the "right to voice their opinions" around here are supposedly the ones who can "change" things ...  i guess the motto around here is if you cant change or shake things up... then stay in the corner and dont say a word..

(last time I checked this is a public forum right?... not some elitist know it all professional musicians only message board who eats their young :wink:)

yes, you're right, you have the right to voice out your opinions, which i'd rather not do because that would be risking insulting the legitimate efforts made by artists who came before i did. this industry has survived no thanks to people who really have nothing else to do but voice out an opinion, and merely observe afterwards. yet there are still artists who believe in what we can do as a race, as a nation, despite the seeming victory of piracy which is crippling this industry, and robbing our artists of money they so deserve.

- who said you haven't "voiced out"  your opinions here.. you already "voiced out plenty"...
-and again, you say its not about money, then stop talking  about money  ...

- i know, i know i'm a budding musician wet behind the ears and i dont know anything....
but this I know....throuhgout this whole thread, never did i point fingers, name names, insult anybody, blame anyone, nor have i instigated anything that will make anyone else feel "personally attacked".... I was merely "discussing"... if thats a crime then somebody "ban" me now...

and last but not least of the last words i'm gonna say in this thread then I'm done "discussing"...
- certain people here feel so "attacked" that they have to resort to "reading" into what others people are saying, nitpicking and taking everything "personal as oppose to professional"... i dont know why... i guess its really personal.... but dont take it out on the amateur...

peace out...

... if i may...

Uhmmm...

Kaibigang Magz,

IMHO, Marvin Q has merely been doing what he said he would from the start: play the devil's advocate.

If we look at history, both recent and ancient, we see that part of an older craftsman's role in the growth of a younger craftsman is to challenge the younger --- challenge the younger one's thoughts, notions, nascent beliefs.

Think of a castle made by a child.

If a child builds a castle of sand, the smallest of waves washes the castle away.

If, however, the child learns from his/her initial castle building endeavour(s), perhaps the child might learn to build stronger castles.

With truth gleaned from a wave's seemingly cruel actions, perhaps castles impervious to the strongest of tsunami may be built.

Perhaps, friend Magz, your position would be unassailable if it had a tad more thought and life experience behind it.

Keep dreaming, keep pondering, keep bleeding, keep asking.

That you care as much as you seem to is a good sign.

It heartens me.

As Mon David says, "pasasa-ambat".

Hope shines.

somewhere
over the rainbow

Make of this what you will.
c",)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 06:52:46 AM by aya_yuson »
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2007, 07:26:33 AM »
And furthermore...

A few points haven't been touched on yet.

Views vis a vis "respect" have been shared.

Your humble servant is all for respect for musicians past and present. All hail all musikos -- past, present and future.

But let us also remember respect for the equation's other half.

Respect for the audience is equally important.

To say that Pinoy consciousness deserves no more than crass commercial crud is disrespectful to the Pinoy.

Feed the Pinoy a daily diet of Love Radio (kailangan pa bang i-memorize yen... kadyot lang! kadyot lang! eh-hehehehehe... tagos ba?)...

... and the Pinoy is slowly brainwashed into thinking he/she enjoys being an idiot.

But look deeper.

Walk the streets.

Observe carefully.

Peer into people's homes.

Listen keenly.

Look into the mind's recesses, both dark and light.

Be aware.

Perhaps you'll see, as i do, that something in our soul cries out for more.

Something in the soul weeps at the absence of...

Home.

Heart.

Spirit.

The friendly neighbourhood tulak yells at her kids, blithely mouthing "eh, p_t_ngina ka pala, eh!".

Calloused by crass, commercial crud, she's oblivious to the obvious -- striking out with that epithet, she brands herself a slut, a whore, a pokpok.

Her soul knows there should be more than this. Her pain makes her strike out blindly. The real target is --- should be --- those who would keep her deaf, dumb, blind and clueless. The targets struck are young, impressionable kids --- flesh of her flesh, blood of her blood.

Calloused by the metallic twang of Pinoy DJ's infatuated with their glib mimicry of the West Covina accent, the Pinoy jeepney driver is inured to his own kakupalan. Fellow vehicles are nudged aside as he stitches the streets with his delusions of macho grandeur, stains the streets with his methampheta-flamed consciousness.

There may be those who would brand this little missive a rambling, high-faluting non sequitur tangent.

Perhaps.

Perhaps not.

Perhaps a silver thread connects all to all else.

Though i bleed to believe this, i believe in love.

A love which respects all creation.

A love which respects creation itself. 

The tragi-comic bottom line is...

We're all on the same side.

We...

... the neighbourhood tulak, the jeepney driver, the cono in his brand new Mazda 6...

... the poseur wannabe rocker, the clad-in-black disciple of heavy music, the rocker grrrll, the bossa nova nymphet...

... the hip-hop b-boy, the "pankz-not-dead-i'm-back-to-kill-you-hip-hop!" graffiti artist...

... the young amateur musiko who seeks his place under the sun...

... the young veteran of showbands and sessions...

... even the lonely, stalwart starfighter...

... are all one.

We are all one.

If we all saw that, perhaps this whole thread... and all others like it... would be moot.

Pasasa-ambat.

Nawa'y pag-ibig lamang.

c",)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 07:41:18 AM by aya_yuson »

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2007, 07:47:14 AM »
IMHO, Marvin Q has merely been doing what he said he would from the start: play the devil's advocate.

slight correction lang po. actually, aya, it was magz who said he'd be playing the part of the "devil's advocate". i agree with most of your points, kumpare. at least those that i could understand. haha. :-)
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2007, 07:57:36 AM »
... oops! Bagong gising, eh. Sorry po.  :-D

Offline tikimusicster

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2007, 10:56:29 AM »
Notice that much of the conversation in this site is on modern or contemporary Philippine music (and mostly commercial pop), if not American or British counterparts.

What about sung epics, pre-Hispanic music from the Philippine south, Philippine classical music (there's even a book that featured several dozen composers from the twentieth century), and even indigenous music still being performed in various rural areas of the country?

And furthermore...

A few points haven't been touched on yet.

Views vis a vis "respect" have been shared.

Your humble servant is all for respect for musicians past and present. All hail all musikos -- past, present and future.

But let us also remember respect for the equation's other half.

Respect for the audience is equally important.

To say that Pinoy consciousness deserves no more than crass commercial crud is disrespectful to the Pinoy.

Feed the Pinoy a daily diet of Love Radio (kailangan pa bang i-memorize yen... kadyot lang! kadyot lang! eh-hehehehehe... tagos ba?)...

... and the Pinoy is slowly brainwashed into thinking he/she enjoys being an idiot.

But look deeper.

Walk the streets.

Observe carefully.

Peer into people's homes.

Listen keenly.

Look into the mind's recesses, both dark and light.

Be aware.

Perhaps you'll see, as i do, that something in our soul cries out for more.

Something in the soul weeps at the absence of...

Home.

Heart.

Spirit.

The friendly neighbourhood tulak yells at her kids, blithely mouthing "eh, p_t_ngina ka pala, eh!".

Calloused by crass, commercial crud, she's oblivious to the obvious -- striking out with that epithet, she brands herself a slut, a whore, a pokpok.

Her soul knows there should be more than this. Her pain makes her strike out blindly. The real target is --- should be --- those who would keep her deaf, dumb, blind and clueless. The targets struck are young, impressionable kids --- flesh of her flesh, blood of her blood.

Calloused by the metallic twang of Pinoy DJ's infatuated with their glib mimicry of the West Covina accent, the Pinoy jeepney driver is inured to his own kakupalan. Fellow vehicles are nudged aside as he stitches the streets with his delusions of macho grandeur, stains the streets with his methampheta-flamed consciousness.

There may be those who would brand this little missive a rambling, high-faluting non sequitur tangent.

Perhaps.

Perhaps not.

Perhaps a silver thread connects all to all else.

Though i bleed to believe this, i believe in love.

A love which respects all creation.

A love which respects creation itself. 

The tragi-comic bottom line is...

We're all on the same side.

We...

... the neighbourhood tulak, the jeepney driver, the cono in his brand new Mazda 6...

... the poseur wannabe rocker, the clad-in-black disciple of heavy music, the rocker grrrll, the bossa nova nymphet...

... the hip-hop b-boy, the "pankz-not-dead-i'm-back-to-kill-you-hip-hop!" graffiti artist...

... the young amateur musiko who seeks his place under the sun...

... the young veteran of showbands and sessions...

... even the lonely, stalwart starfighter...

... are all one.

We are all one.

If we all saw that, perhaps this whole thread... and all others like it... would be moot.

Pasasa-ambat.

Nawa'y pag-ibig lamang.

c",)

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2007, 01:11:48 PM »
That would be a good topic to discuss, however I suppose we have to have a separate thread on that.

Pasensiya na po kung limited ang discussion ng thead na ito.  We were just following the topic/question posted by the threadstarter -

Question about local pop artists and cover songs...

Baka ma OT tayo kung ipasok natin ang sung epics (?), or Philippine classical music (kaya lang baka matanggal tayo sa Pinoy POP forum), or indigenous music dito sa thread nito.

Would you like to start one?  Gusto ko man umpisahan ay wala po akong alam sa mga topic na ito.

faircharlotte

« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2007, 05:15:41 AM »
Sana ipagbawal na ang pag re-revive.  Para din yung pirated DVD. ahehehe

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2007, 06:20:48 AM »
here's the major difference -- REVIVALS are legal, the composers and publishers get paid. PIRACY is illegal, coz it robs artists, composers, publishers, record companies of the income they so deserve by investing money, time and effort on them.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 12:56:05 PM by marvinq »
============
Marvin Querido

Offline roryrockerchic

« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2007, 10:55:25 PM »
^OO nga revivals are legal pero kawawa naman yung mga artist who do their originals.  :|

Offline coolvoice

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2007, 09:50:52 AM »
pero infairness.. nakakatulong din naman sa original artist kapag nirevived yung song nila... atleast naaalala ulit ng madlang people... lalo na yung matatagal ng sumikat na songs...

Offline stilljey

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2007, 05:53:51 AM »
here's the major difference -- REVIVALS are legal, the composers and publishers get paid. PIRACY is illegal, coz it robs artists, composers, publishers, record companies of the income they so deserve by investing money, time and effort on them.

Marvinq ano masasabi mo dito, kinopy ko lang sa isang GMA news column.

Ibinalita ni Edu Manzano, OMB chairman, na bahagya nang nakakabawi ang local movie at music industry sa pagkalugi sanhi ng piracy. Ayon sa aktor "Forty percent lumakas ang Philippine movie industry, at ang OPM [Original Pilipino Music] 20 percent."

Sa kabila ng positive development na ito ay hindi naman lubos na umaasa ang aktor na maibabalik pa ang dating sigla ng industriya. Pahayag ng OMB chairman, "Ako, I'd be the first to say, never babalik ang ating industriya to what it was before."

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2007, 08:55:55 AM »
I'd say every little bit helps, my friend. But I guess we're back to how it was before, with gigging to earn a living, because residual income from records are not reliable anymore, thanks to piracy.
============
Marvin Querido

Offline malambeng25

« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2007, 07:03:19 AM »
i can relate to this... i really don't have anything against cover songs... at sa tingin ko, lahat naman tayong mga musikero dumaan sa punto na tumugtog tayo ng mga kanta ng ibang artists, mapa-ensayo, mapa-gig, mapa-inuman, etc... siyempre, mahal natin ang musika bilang musikero.

ako kase pag nagustuhan at naka-relate ako sa isang kanta, na-LSS na ako!!! :-D inuulit ko pang pakinggan then analyze. una, pakikinggan kong maigi yung letra ng kanta tpos kung ano yung meaning ng song. tapos yung areglo naman. tpos ipapakinig ko naman sa bandmates ko, pag nagustuhan nila, we try to include that particular song in our repertoire. pag sa ensayo naman, we try to give a different rendition of the song - ibang areglo and a lot of bosesan.

pero yun nga lang, bilang composer/musician, minsan nakakaramdam ako ng unfairness lalo na kapag revivals ang usapan lalo na ngayon... iba kase ang labanan ng isang kantang revival at isang original composition... siyempre, kilala na ng tao yung revival (and most probably, ni-revive yun for that same reason) yung original composition naman, ipapakilala pa lang. tpos yung recording companies right now would probably invest on groups/songs that are marketable.

we are so blessed because our band, 3rd Avenue, just released our debut album entitled "3rd Avenue: In Time" It contains 9 origs and 1 remake. and we know that we're taking a big risk with our original songs... not to mention that our genre is mostly pop-ballads... e ngayon pa naman, mainit pa rin ang rock-alternative... pero the most important thing for us is that we have faith in our music and we respect other artists, most specially filipino artists!

hope you guys could get a copy of our cd (naks! paplug na rin :-D) and feel free to give comments. hehe!!!

grabe, im really learning a lot from this thread and i admire those people taking their time to express their opinion regarding this issue... tunay na pinoy!!! :-D

mabuhay tayong lahat mga kapatid!!!
"3rd Avenue: In Time" now available at all leading record stores nationwide

Offline qroon

• Tanod
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2012, 07:25:43 AM »
A thread that is worth the necromancy.

Semper Erectus
Spur | Helical | Bevel | Hypoid | Crown | Epicyclic

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2012, 07:52:16 AM »
I can't wait for this song revival [gooey brown stuff] trend to die.

siguro "waiting" ka parin hanggang ngayon! 8 years na ang nakalipas! haha,
PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline jjgalvan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2012, 09:44:41 PM »
Gino Padilla - Princesa