hulika

Author Topic: Growler/screamer vocalists = overrated.  (Read 29487 times)

Offline zuperk

• Forum Fanatic
Growler/screamer vocalists = overrated.
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2006, 07:55:11 PM »
ehh...................................

style nila yun eh,
..............Z.U.P.E.R.K..............

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2006, 12:54:42 PM »
Quote from: agentx44
For the growlers, I just wish they'd expand their vocal range and express blind rage with a more humane form of speech. Sure, maganda ang songs ninyo kasi puno ng angst at nakaka-alis ng frustration, pero siguro naman hindi lang puro ganun ang pwedeng isulat na kanta, or kung di naman, surely there's a better way to convey that anger to the listeners with more than just screams, grunts and chants.

+1 true talent is exemplified by diversity, not just by sticking to screaming and doing it over and over :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline Koran

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2006, 07:43:44 AM »
parang hindi na yata uso ang growls ngayon ah
angst won't last forever you know.  pag nain-love ka,
makikinig ka din ng love song, then everything will be good.

Offline suicidesforkim

• Netizen Level
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2006, 04:42:50 PM »
so what if di na uso?
singing is an art, but growling, shrieking, screaming, death grunting isn't easy to actually learn...

you know, i really respect people who are good at it, i admit, bands that have repetitive growling vocals usually turn me off, but regardless of which, if you're good at what you're good at, you deserve recognition...

Offline wallflower

« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2006, 01:06:56 AM »
Quote from: Sei
you can blow up your vessels by screaming you know? like.. whats his name in avenged sevenfold.. but i dont like screamers.. most screamers can be found on the emo scene.. which i hate.. i hate emo.. burn..

Tama ka jan chong...ung nga sitwasyon nowadays...pero para sakin iba ang screaming sa growling eh....

e2 lang tingin ko mga sir ah...tingin ko anyone can growl...all you need to do is just to lower your voice and [strawberry] up your vocal chords or simply try sing while you simulate puking/barfing...
...ang talo lang sayo eh pedo mong masugatan vocal chords mo at baka ka sumuka ng dugo...

pero screaming...well screaming is one of a kind...sooo cool and perfect sa tenga...para pang nakikining ka ng guitar solo ->tulad ng boses ni sebastian bach dun sa song nila "wasted time"...

pero first time ko lang nakadinig ng growl na cool eh eh nabilib ako...(phil anselmo)...phil's growl is perfect to the ears...
If you ever feel worthless and low, just remember that you where once the fastest sperm out of millions...

Offline suicidesforkim

• Netizen Level
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2006, 04:43:58 AM »
Quote from: wallflower
Quote from: Sei
you can blow up your vessels by screaming you know? like.. whats his name in avenged sevenfold.. but i dont like screamers.. most screamers can be found on the emo scene.. which i hate.. i hate emo.. burn..

Tama ka jan chong...ung nga sitwasyon nowadays...pero para sakin iba ang screaming sa growling eh....

e2 lang tingin ko mga sir ah...tingin ko anyone can growl...all you need to do is just to lower your voice and **** up your vocal chords or simply try sing while you simulate puking/barfing...
...ang talo lang sayo eh pedo mong masugatan vocal chords mo at baka ka sumuka ng dugo...

pero screaming...well screaming is one of a kind...sooo cool and perfect sa tenga...para pang nakikining ka ng guitar solo ->tulad ng boses ni sebastian bach dun sa song nila "wasted time"...

pero first time ko lang nakadinig ng growl na cool eh eh nabilib ako...(phil anselmo)...phil's growl is perfect to the ears...

i don't want to sound like a perfect vocalist or anything, but most people who get hurt during screaming don't really know HOW to scream..

as is scream as if you're just singing with a different voice...

i scream, i shriek, i growl, i bark, i death grunt, and it doesn't affect me much...

it just comes naturally,and i don't have to sound like a trying hard na puputok na ang ulo sa kakascream...

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2006, 04:52:59 AM »
suicidesforkim ganda ng nasa sig mo ah ? ikaw ba yan ?

Offline suicidesforkim

• Netizen Level
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2006, 04:56:08 AM »
ganda nga, but she's coming home to me..
 :lol:

nah, she ain't mine yet, pero lapit na...
that's also my sig sa rakista.com...  :D

Offline wallflower

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2006, 08:04:06 AM »
Quote from: suicidesforkim
i don't want to sound like a perfect vocalist or anything, but most people who get hurt during screaming don't really know HOW to scream..

i scream, i shriek, i growl, i bark, i death grunt, and it doesn't affect me much...

it just comes naturally,and i don't have to sound like a trying hard na puputok na ang ulo sa kakascream...

Meron few vocalist na nakaka"scream" ng maganda. Like ung nga sebastian bach...phil anselmo...steve tyler (major screamer)...

pero meron kse nakakainis na sigaw eh...ung para bang "sumusuka"...tulad ng kumanta ng itlog na orange sarap sarap srap....HAHAHAH!!...ung grihawds!!!!....

UWURAWAHHHH!..UWUAH!!...RROCK ROCK ROCK!!!!...AHAHAHAHH!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
If you ever feel worthless and low, just remember that you where once the fastest sperm out of millions...

Offline wallflower

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2006, 08:57:28 AM »
Quote from: bugoy
suicidesforkim ganda ng nasa sig mo ah ? ikaw ba yan ?

iistayl pa eh... :lol:  :lol:

Offline Monochromatic Stains

• Netizen Level
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2006, 09:17:45 PM »
Quote from: emil_murillo
Quote from: hello_apocalypse
A song is not a song without the lyrics..............

what about instrumentals? and what about songs from artists such as beethoven and mozart? :P

Sir ang tagalog po ng "song"...........ay "kanta"........
Paano mo sir makakanta ang mga music na ginawa nila beethoven and mozart.........kung wala kang makakantang lyrics.........
Technically sir ang tawag po sa ginawa nila beethoven and mozart.........ay "Music"..........or "Classical Music"..........hindi "Song" o "Classical Song" by beethoven or mozart......

Mag search ka sir sa internet kung may makikita kang "classical song by mozart"................ But all that you can see is "classical music by mozart", etc. etc.

Music are composed without lyrics...............
Song are composed with music or melody...............

Kaya nga sir "Musical Composition".......at hindi "Song Composition".........kasi walang lyrics.

Musical Composition is different from Vocal or Choral Composition (or what we call "song").........

Ibig sabihin sir iba ang meaning ng Music at Song........tnx.

lol! did you burst a vein trying to answer my questions? anyway, i was just messing around, maaan... thanks for reminding me why i sometimes hate this forum... also, "song" can refer to any musical composition; with or without  lyrics. :P

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Nah!............ Definitely not sir.........
What I am trying to point out here sir is that............ When you use growling in a song...............You are actually doing a scat or scat singing like in a jazz.................... That "beep badap bap bap ba dadap" thing-like-way of singing..............sounds cool though but still you cannot say it's a Vocal Composition................
And the term you used sir:
  • "song" can refer to any musical composition; with or without  lyrics.[/list:u]Is a common myth............. 8)  8)  8)
    You have the freewill though......... to say that mozart's music is a song but technically in musical terminology that is one pure mistake......... 8)  8)  8)
Shaddap and drink your beer. :p

Offline shadowm00n

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2006, 11:39:54 PM »
Quote from: sushiboy
i agree with santo, bakit naman ang Silverchair (Daniel Johns)? he is very skilled in singing and the way he writes songs, pero HINDI NA NYA KELANGANG UMALULONG.

now THAT.. is what i call great music.

hehehe!! favorite talaga kita sushi boy!! astig ka talaga!  :D
uy favorite ko yang silverchair! nanood pa ko nung (97?) sa up! 8)
ahhh.. cege pa koya! agoy!

Offline suicidesforkim

• Netizen Level
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2006, 03:11:55 AM »

Meron few vocalist na nakaka"scream" ng maganda. Like ung nga sebastian bach...phil anselmo...steve tyler (major screamer)...

pero meron kse nakakainis na sigaw eh...ung para bang "sumusuka"...tulad ng kumanta ng itlog na orange sarap sarap srap....HAHAHAH!!...ung grihawds!!!!....

UWURAWAHHHH!..UWUAH!!...RROCK ROCK ROCK!!!!...AHAHAHAHH!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

damn, that's totally not cool...
screaming or growling sucks when you try too hard...

there's a band from virginia named Scarlet, they have a new singer, he does abrasive vocals, not really screaming, but damn, when he sings, he sounds great... he knows HOW to sing...

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2006, 10:32:10 AM »
sing=sing
sreaming is screaming :lol:
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2006, 06:50:09 PM »
Quote from: C-D-F
^Yeah... my doctor said it's S.A.R.S.

Severe Absence of Romance and Sex

But yea, if you want the best of both worlds, Mikael Åkerfeldt from Opeth is really gifted in both growling and clean singing. Maynard, on the other hand is more on the screaming side and clean singing :D

+1 That guy from Opeth really knows how to sing and growl.. meron pa kong narinig na side band ni Åkerfeldt (Bloodbath) and mas brutal sya mag-growl dun. but the thing is, he knows how to sing as well, and for me, that's true talent. si Chris Cornell din special mention, he can sing and scream at a very high pitch equally well. and most importantly, nagcocomplement sa songs nya yung vocal antics nya :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline wallflower

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2006, 12:32:57 AM »

there's a band from virginia named Scarlet, they have a new singer, he does abrasive vocals, not really screaming, but damn, when he sings, he sounds great... he knows HOW to sing...

Yeah...nabalitaan ko nga minsan sumuka na ng dugo ung vocals nila eh...cguro kse ndi tlga marunong mag growl...Ndi naman ako anti-goth, growl...Naapreciate ko naman sila eh...pero sometimes OA tlga. ung tipo bang ung mga bands na nag-gagrowl na ndi naman kelangan tlga. Ayos na minsan sana ung kanta...Ung para bang "hey man i get the msg...ur [strawberry] up..."...and the song goes on and on adding growls to each lines...UWURAHH! dito ..UWURAHHH! dun...ROCK ROCK [gooey brown stuff]...

...Ung Vocals kse minsan parang dating sobrang papansin at ndi mo na mafocus ung attention mo sa gitara, bass chaka palo ng drums...

...Screaming and growling is cool...just don't over do it...

Offline shadowm00n

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2006, 01:51:49 AM »

Yeah...nabalitaan ko nga minsan sumuka na ng dugo ung vocals nila eh...cguro kse ndi tlga marunong mag growl...Ndi naman ako anti-goth, growl...Naapreciate ko naman sila eh...pero sometimes OA tlga. ung tipo bang ung mga bands na nag-gagrowl na ndi naman kelangan tlga. Ayos na minsan sana ung kanta...Ung para bang "hey man i get the msg...ur **** up..."...and the song goes on and on adding growls to each lines...UWURAHH! dito ..UWURAHHH! dun...ROCK ROCK [gooey brown stuff]...

...Ung Vocals kse minsan parang dating sobrang papansin at ndi mo na mafocus ung attention mo sa gitara, bass chaka palo ng drums...

...Screaming and growling is cool...just don't over do it...

amen! and i think some of those bands are just victim of fashion (in some factors) i have nothing against with it. sana lang, do it in a proper way. music is very wide. explore it!

my prof in misic told me.. " ...though, you cant give want music wants to, even though you give your 2nd time of your life."

pretty tough but true! 8)
ahhh.. cege pa koya! agoy!

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Growler/screamer vocalists = overrated.
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2006, 03:45:19 AM »
Quote from: Santo Muerte
Ako lang ba ang may pananaw na ganito, o may mga iba rin sa inyo? Parang common na kasi masyado yung mga bokalistang marunong mag growl o mag-scream na parang asong kinakatay. Madalang na yung mga bokalistang as in kumakanta talaga na may several octaves yung range ng boses, kasi kahit sino naman puwedeng mag-growl pero pag pakantahin mo ng straight-up song na kailangan talaga ng technical skills sa boses e walang namang binatbat. Maganda yung kombinasyon na marunong mag-growl o mag-scream tapos marunong din tumama ng nota. Watcha think?

Tell that to Dillinger Escape Plan and Mike Patton and they'll kick your ass.

Offline suicidesforkim

• Netizen Level
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2006, 03:56:55 AM »
and Jesse Leech...
and Howard Jones...
and Brandon Roundtree...
and Daniel Weyandt...

the list goes on and on...

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2006, 04:52:15 AM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk
Ako lang ba ang may pananaw na ganito, o may mga iba rin sa inyo? Parang common na kasi masyado yung mga bokalistang marunong mag growl o mag-scream na parang asong kinakatay. Madalang na yung mga bokalistang as in kumakanta talaga na may several octaves yung range ng boses, kasi kahit sino naman puwedeng mag-growl pero pag pakantahin mo ng straight-up song na kailangan talaga ng technical skills sa boses e walang namang binatbat. Maganda yung kombinasyon na marunong mag-growl o mag-scream tapos marunong din tumama ng nota. Watcha think?

Of course the music of those bands require aggressive singing, but the point of this thread is growling just for growling's sake without any real singing involved, especially local bands. They just growl/scream so that people would think they're "hardcore" or "heavy" & the sad thing is that most people use this as a gauge to measure how "astig" or heavy a band is. What's especially predictable is the growled verse-clear chorus song structures that most of these bands use.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2006, 11:49:25 PM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk

Of course the music of those bands require aggressive singing, but the point of this thread is growling just for growling's sake without any real singing involved, especially local bands. They just growl/scream so that people would think they're "hardcore" or "heavy" & the sad thing is that most people use this as a gauge to measure how "astig" or heavy a band is. What's especially predictable is the growled verse-clear chorus song structures that most of these bands use.

I think if a song has a bad arrangement with bad musicians, no amount of melodic singing or growling can save their lives.  I have nothing against screaming and growling but they must be done right with a great arrangement.

Offline suicidesforkim

• Netizen Level
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2006, 05:53:22 PM »
if you're good at what you do, you're good...

JEM hole

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2006, 06:46:08 AM »
Quote from: Monochromatic Stains

what about instrumentals? and what about songs from artists such as beethoven and mozart? :P

Paano mo sir makakanta ang mga music na ginawa nila beethoven and mozart.........kung wala kang makakantang lyrics.........
Technically sir ang tawag po sa ginawa nila beethoven and mozart.........ay "Music"..........or "Classical Music"..........hindi "Song" o "Classical Song" by beethoven or mozart......

Mag search ka sir sa internet kung may makikita kang "classical song by mozart"................ But all that you can see is "classical music by mozart", etc. etc.

Kaya nga sir "Musical Composition".......at hindi "Song Composition".........kasi walang lyrics.

Musical Composition is different from Vocal or Choral Composition (or what we call "song").........

lol! did you burst a vein trying to answer my questions? anyway, i was just messing around, maaan... thanks for reminding me why i sometimes hate this forum... also, "song" can refer to any musical composition; with or without  lyrics. :P

What I am trying to point out here sir is that............ When you use growling in a song...............You are actually doing a scat or scat singing like in a jazz.................... That "beep badap bap bap ba dadap" thing-like-way of singing..............sounds cool though but still you cannot say it's a Vocal Composition................
  • "song" can refer to any musical composition; with or without  lyrics.[/list:u]Is a common myth............. 8)  8)  8)
    You have the freewill though......... to say that mozart's music is a song but technically in musical terminology that is one pure mistake......... 8)  8)  8)

I remember Sugar Hiccup, maganda ang vocal quality ng singer pero parang hindi ako maka-relate sa mga chants na yun... At first, culture shock ang dating sakin... Nakakatakot na mysterious, buti pa ang scat lively tsaka mood setter... Yung sa growls, hindi naman sa nanghuhusga but there's a lot of frustration and creepy feeling, i think a theraphist would be a great help. :)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2006, 11:02:08 PM »

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2006, 06:44:14 AM »
Quote from: JEM hole
Quote from: Monochromatic Stains

I remember Sugar Hiccup, maganda ang vocal quality ng singer pero parang hindi ako maka-relate sa mga chants na yun... At first, culture shock ang dating sakin... Nakakatakot na mysterious, buti pa ang scat lively tsaka mood setter... Yung sa growls, hindi naman sa nanghuhusga but there's a lot of frustration and creepy feeling, i think a theraphist would be a great help. :)

:bluewink: ............. =D>