hulika

Author Topic: Razorback's Origin...and on-going saga!  (Read 87097 times)

Offline ortigas

Razorback's Origin...and on-going saga!
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2006, 09:45:26 PM »
Welcome "Mad-dog" Amador!!!  :D Good to hear you're still rockin'!

Offline tony2tone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2006, 09:51:16 PM »
Saw that Black Carvin in action at Club Vudu, and Manny your tone rocks, Loved your blues set by the way with sir Jonx and the rest of Blues Bonanza. keep on rockin. 8)

The Blues is the Roots, everything else is the Fruits.-Willie Dixon

Offline DyaniBee

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2006, 10:11:03 PM »
Quote from: mannyamador
Quote from: ton2xx
Like the flying V of Tirso... rockstar!

Hmm... but I still have Tirso's old black Carvin!

That guitar still rocks. Have to repair the volume pot since something in it snapped (I wonder why...)!

Im here in Cebu now, but glad to see Miguel, Johnny, and the other Kalye dudes are posting here. I just joined the forum and this is my first post. Keep it rocking!!!!

Oh my goodness!!!  Someone let the dog out!   :lol:  Wow, now I've seen it all.  If Charlie somehow shows up in this thread I'll eat my hat (if I had one)!  Migs, this should be a Kalye thread.   :lol:   Good to hear from you, dude.  You still coming to Manila on Friday?  Got a couple of new toys to show you.   :D
Imagine a world without bass...

Offline ortigas

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2006, 11:25:30 PM »
It could turn into a Kalye thread, but then again, the headline would be misleading. How about we start one bro? You do the honors…

Here’s some of the kalokohan that went on at Kalye though…

Dyanni…remember the time I was sitting outside the front of the San Miguel Building beside Kalye where all the mysterio used to happen in between sets? Well there I was with a bunch of the Razorboys just smokin’ and drinkin’ when all of a sudden we hear a crunching sound across the street and I look up and see the someone backed into my car! Dang! I jumped up, shouted “P*tang ina! Kotse ko yan!” and I launched my beer bottle a hundred feet in the air only for it to crash right beside the car that hit mine. I start running across with the boys in tow, all ready for a big mess, when out of the car comes who else but DyanniBee saying “P*tang ina! Who threw that?!”  :evil:  Mwahaha!!!  :lol:  “Oh, Sh*t!” I said. “Sorry man…I didn’t know it was you. Go ahead and bump my car as much as you want!”

Or when Mad-dog Manny first got his wireless system for his guitar and in the middle of The Breed’s set he goes running out of the club during a song and no one knows where the hell he went but the lead guitars still played on…

Or another of The Breed’s nights, when me and my boys were pissed out of our heads, and we spotted Charlie Y’s blue VolksWagen Beetle quietly parked outside so we decided to carry the front end of it and put it up on the sidewalk! Man, Charlie was pissed! We kept saying we were just kidding and would put it back down for him but he was just grumbling mad…

Or the best one…

We all had long hair down to our butts and Charlie grew his hair out but he had the curliest hair so it was so big and bushy that we used to call it “Santo Nińo” hair-do. He also had a beard. So one day, I’m hanging outside Kalye with some friends, the guard and the vendor who used to come every weekend and get bombed out (I forget his name), and here comes Charlie with the hair and all wearing white/silver spandex pants!!! So I shout “Jake ‘The Snake’ Roberts!”  :P  Mwahahahaha! He never wore those pants again… :lol:

Offline ortigas

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2006, 11:44:42 PM »
So there was Razorback playing away at Kalye bar and Wolfgang's first bar gig was at this place on the corner of Makati Ave. and Buendia, which is now a 7-11, that was called "San Tropez". It was a small place but we would go there on Friday nights to hang out with them. After a couple of months Manuel's friend's dad wanted to know more about this place so he ventured out there one week night and apparently this man strikes up a conversation with him. In the process, the guys asks him what brought him there and Manny's friend's dad says "Well, this is where Manuel and his rock band plays on the weekends." The guy then says, "But, this is a gay bar!"  :shock:

Some time later, "Pasta on the Piazza" aka "Weekends Live" opened up in the Atrium building on Makati Ave. and Wolfgang became regulars there. Razorback played there numerous times too. The early days there were horrendous! I would come in and see the equipment and would want to cry! They had the smallest practice amps for the guitars, the most terrible PA, and a rag-tag, multi-colored piece of junk drum kit.  :evil: I would ask the talent coordinator what the heck was that and he would just say something like "Ayaw mo nyan? Marami'ng drums?" Leche!  :x They were all pieced together from numerous other drum kits. They brought the surviving pieces of crap.

Sure enough, on the first few songs, nabutas yung kick drum! Haaaay buhay. So we run to Kalye, get mang Tony to bring us to his amo's studio off of Rizal Ave and we pick up their kick drum, run back, set up, and continue on with the show anyway. Man, that sucked.  :roll:

But we came back anyway and played there many more times nonetheless and we met a whole slew of new bands that were also coming out of the woodwork such as Manang Damo, who later had a minor hit with the song Pautang Ina, Pedro's Cannabis, and so many more.

Later, we branched out and played Mayrics and Club Dredd in QC. It was the Dredd in Timog and it was hard to get in there. For one thing, they branded us as "Makati boys" and they did not like seeing us come in there and rocking their house. But with diligence and perseverance, we finally became accepted in that circle as well. We played at that 2nd floor venue a few times then it moved to EDSA where it lived out it's life span.

At EDSA's Dredd, we became friends with so many musicians and fans and had many wonderful years of playing there too. Man, they had the smelliest bathroom!!! Di'ba, Patrick? That's where the Razorboys also discovered the Adios Motherf*cker...one of the most mean-ass versions of that drink I have ever had in my life. If I had 3 of those I was down for the count.  #-o

Mayrics on the other hand had the smallest stage with a post right in the middle which blocked some line of sight. We used to wonder how Coco Jam would fit up there with Rolly on vox, Jun on guitar, Rico on bass, Ike on keyboards, Bosyo on drums, and Girlie and Em on backing vox! Sometimes they even had Heli on 2nd guitar...Hanep! Razorback didn't number as many so we had it better but it was tight anyway. During those early years of ours, bata pa si Eric yung anak ng may-ari, so he wouldn't be around and I only really got to know him when I was already playing with the Breed in '97-'98 and later, Battery's first incarnation which was composed of myself, Michael Turner, and Johnny Besa.

More to come soon...

Offline ortigas

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2006, 12:18:24 AM »
Quote from: DyaniBee
Oh my goodness!!!  Someone let the dog out!   :lol:  Wow, now I've seen it all.  If Charlie somehow shows up in this thread I'll eat my hat (if I had one)!

Go buy a hat, Dyanni...I just emailed Charlie.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2006, 12:33:13 AM »
What ever happened to Charlie Y. ? during my high school days nakikita ko pa siya naging newscaster sa channel 9 at lumabas pa siya sa Papa Ketchup commercial ehehehe

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2006, 02:52:33 AM »
the boys are back in town meng!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  8)  8)  8)

mga idol ko nandito na lahat! hey dizzy and manny! d nyoko kilala pero mga idol ko kayo!!!!
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline DyaniBee

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2006, 06:04:44 AM »
Charlie Y. is now the lead singer of the Spirit of '67, but he moonlights on occasion with his House Rockers band.  I heard that they don't gig much anymore because Spirit's manager is a jealous one.

Gosh, Migs... How can I forget backing up into your car?  Marlette and I had just started going out then (we've now been together 13 years and have two kids, the first of whom is Migs' godchild), and I was driving her old Isuzu Gemini with some of the blackest tint you ever saw.  Backed right into Migs' car, and slowly!  You can imagine the crunch.  Next thing I know there's a bottle that lands close to the front of the car.  Nice shot, Migs... Stopped me dead in my tracks.   :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

And Manny's wireless.  :roll:  How many times did I threaten to lock him outside every time he ran out to see how loud it actually was outside?  Come to think of it, I think we DID lock him out once, but did he learn his lesson?  Nooooooooooooooooo...  :roll:  :lol: There's once we played at the food court of Robinson's Cubao and he ran up the escalator pa just to check out the range...  He got far enough away that there was a delay in his playing as the sound got to him late.  How much did you spend in batteries for the years you had that , dude?  One per performance, I believe.  :?

Pasta on the Piazza, a.k.a. Weekends Live, the first incarnation.  Great and not-so-great memories there... Best one was when right in the middle of a set the lights go out!  But Charlie, ever the showman, quieted the crowd down and we sang American Pie, a capella.  The crowd sang along as if nothing went wrong.  After that, we continued into You've Lost That Lovin Feelin.  Quite a show.  Not-so-great memory number one?  We had just come from another gig and were tired, plus I was already ill-tempered from all the aural abuse and having to help lug Manny's Marshall half-stack through three other gigs (tama ba, boys?).  Someone introduces the Breed and next thing I know there's this female voice at the table next to me that screams, "THE BREED SUCKS!!!" Of course she was drunk and her friend nice enough to apologize for her, but I was inconsolable.  I turned to Manny and hissed, "Dude, tonight you can play as loud as you want."  Manny was like a kid in a candy store when I said that!  Sure enough, everyone went home that night with ears ringing for at least a couple of days.

But enough of us!  This is supposed to be a Razorback thread!  For me, the definitive recording will always be Hebigat Sounds Vol. 1.  Play it loud enough on headphones and it sounds just like the band did playing in Kalye with the listener sitting front row center.

One memory stands out about Razorback at Kalye... Second or third set and EVERYONE is wasted, including the band.  David staggering about like he's going to puke, and all of a sudden he does just that... Over his shoulder and in the middle of a solo, which he continues til he's done! Now THAT'S showmanship!   :lol:  :D

Offline DyaniBee

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2006, 06:11:29 AM »
Quote from: ortigas
Quote from: DyaniBee
Oh my goodness!!!  Someone let the dog out!   :lol:  Wow, now I've seen it all.  If Charlie somehow shows up in this thread I'll eat my hat (if I had one)!

Go buy a hat, Dyanni...I just emailed Charlie.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

No fair!  <burp>...   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

By the way, have you heard of the Breed's self-titled movie?  Directed by Wes Craven!  "Man's best friend is his worst nightmare," the ad goes.  How apt.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline ton2xx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2006, 08:53:35 AM »
Salamat sa Internet! hahaha! Diba Miguel!
ton2x

Offline ortigas

« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2006, 02:33:44 PM »
Here's a pic of Louie Talan and I from the time when The Breed and Razorback opened for Bon Jovi in 1993 at the Rizal Baseball Stadium taken by Dolly Dy-Liaco, wife of then Breed's drummer, Larry. Thanks a ton for the pic, Dolly...

Tico Torres, their drummer, came out in the afternoon of the first day to check out what was going on and so I approached him and asked him if he would sign my shirt (the same one I'm wearing in the pic) and he said "Sure, man. My pleasure." As he was getting done signing it, Louie Talan comes up and says "Hey, Tico, you're really BADUY man!" and Tico turns to Louie, shaking his hand and says, "Hey, thanks a lot!"  :lol:  :twisted: We were all holding our laughter in as hard as we could!  :P

This was a few months after we had also opened for Metallica along with Advent Call at the Ultra Football field...

Offline ortigas

« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2006, 02:35:46 PM »
Quote from: ton2xx
Salamat sa Internet! hahaha! Diba Miguel!

Sianbi mo, Tonton! :)

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2006, 03:35:17 PM »
Quote from: ortigas
Here's a pic of Louie Talan and I from the time when The Breed and Razorback opened for Bon Jovi in 1993 at the Rizal Baseball Stadium take by Dolly Dy-Liaco, wife of then Breed's drummer, Larry. Thanks a ton for the pic, Dolly...

Hot Dawg by golly wawshet..... you had a lot of hair dude!  :shock:

But I especially like those THC affected eyes....  they look like mine do normally. :lol:

Offline toybitz

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2006, 04:18:57 PM »
hindi ako sanay makita si Louie ng malinis ang mukha.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2006, 04:30:24 PM »
This thread is Gold!!

I need a Red Horse!
Are You Experienced

Offline Tirso

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2006, 04:55:45 PM »
Wow pare, flashback....... great stories. I remember 'em just like yesterday. Kalye was a blast. I remember Cocojam every friday. Solid. There was nowhere else to be but there. I loved how Rene would tune the drums on Fri then we'd play on Sat and they'd sound awesome! I also remember when we started playing at Kalye Dave was still drinking Mango juice. When we left, he was at a pitcher of Rum Coke a night! Then again, so were the rest of us. If you notice the cover of the Hebigats album, that is exactly what the Kalye set up looked like. You can see the pitchers.....crazy man... but, there's so much more........
Rock n' Roll damnation... take a chance, while you still got the choice..

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2006, 05:21:05 PM »
ayan na...juicy stuff,,,hehehe danger danger! :lol:  :lol:
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2006, 06:52:36 PM »
wow si tirso !! eheheh remember yung email add niyo na raysorbex@hotmail.com  nung high school pa ako at batang bata pa hehehe lagi ako nag e email diyan then ang nag rereply sakin is "tirso ripoll" <raysorbex@hotmail.com> naka save pa sa inbox ko yung mga replies niyo sa email ko eheheh... i stopped emailing that e-add when i got busy sa school nung 4th yr HS then just tried it again last year after 7 yrs :shock: pro no reply na from tirso :(   ....  what ever happened to that email address ? hehehe  ...

Offline qwi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2006, 07:34:10 PM »
ayos tong thread na'to!

Razorback fan here!!!  :D
for sale jim dunlop univibe & Epi chet atkins
also available PIO caps 22nf & 47nf @150pesos

Offline mannyamador

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2006, 07:40:27 PM »
Quote from: tony2tone
Saw that Black Carvin in action at Club Vudu, and Manny your tone rocks, Loved your blues set by the way with sir Jonx and the rest of Blues Bonanza. keep on rockin. 8)

You saw that, huh? That was only a few weeks ago. Playing straight into a 100-watt Marshall combo amp. We've got a blues thing going in Cebu with Blues Bonanza. That's a real jam band. We hardly ever rehearse!

And on other topics...

Didn't Charlie wear his spandex threads at one of The Breed's gigs at Dredd (EDSA)? I remember that one.

John, I'll be in Manila on Thursday night. My brother's father-in-law just passed away so I'll be visiting at Loyola Memorial Chapels on EDSA. I'll call you when I get to Makati. I'll leave for Cebu on Saturday. But I'll be back again on Sept 18-21 and Sept 25-30. Wierd schedule. Work-related! We should have a jam and a bike ride! Too bad I don't have a bike over there though. Unless someone is selling one real cheap... hmmm...

I might bring over the Carvin for repairs too.

God bless!
Alternative Information and Opinion at:
http://www.phnix.net
http://mamador.wordpress.com Stand Up for Life!

Offline ortigas

« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2006, 08:05:33 PM »
Quote from: mannyamador
John, I'll be in Manila on Thursday night. My brother's father-in-law just passed away so I'll be visiting at Loyola Memorial Chapels on EDSA. I'll call you when I get to Makati. I'll leave for Cebu on Saturday. But I'll be back again on Sept 18-21 and Sept 25-30. Wierd schedule. Work-related! We should have a jam and a bike ride! Too bad I don't have a bike over there though.

Pucha 'tong si Amadog, oh...dito ba naman in-email si Dyanni???  :lol:

Offline tony2tone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2006, 08:57:56 PM »
Here's Pics of Razorback with my band in Cebu
I think this was their last concert here.

Offline tony2tone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2006, 09:05:32 PM »
You saw that, huh? That was only a few weeks ago. Playing straight into a 100-watt Marshall combo amp. We've got a blues thing going in Cebu with Blues Bonanza. That's a real jam band. We hardly ever rehearse!

Yup we played before you guys. I was the one with a Les Paul Our band is Big Izzy, your set was way better than us.  8)[/quote]

Offline ortigas

« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2006, 10:36:02 PM »
Quote from: Tirso
Wow pare, flashback....... great stories. I remember 'em just like yesterday. Kalye was a blast. I remember Cocojam every friday. Solid. There was nowhere else to be but there. I loved how Rene would tune the drums on Fri then we'd play on Sat and they'd sound awesome!

Tirso!!! Bro!  :D  I'm sooooo glad you're here. Please do add to the stories pare.

Yes, I loved the way Chong would tune the drums and they were always in perfect shape for when I got on the kit the next night.  :D