hulika

Author Topic: Setting up your PC for Recording  (Read 296850 times)

Offline secretavenger234

Re: Setting up your PC for Recording
« Reply #975 on: July 25, 2012, 12:02:59 PM »
Yup it should work. Not unless you are planning to record massive tracks.

You can always check your daw's requirements, once you hace it, its much better you can get 2 step higher so you'll have plenty of room for adjustments.

Happy recording!:)

What's daw? :p  This thing is only for guitars and bass tracks recording... And drum tracks (For Mixing only)
Will it do? Coupled with Protool and M-audio or presonus interface??

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #976 on: July 25, 2012, 12:05:08 PM »
What's daw? :p  This thing is only for guitars and bass tracks recording... And drum tracks (For Mixing only)
Will it do? Coupled with Protool and M-audio or presonus interface??

Digital Audio Workstation.

Kayang kaya na with your specs.

Offline jake z

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #977 on: July 25, 2012, 12:08:38 PM »
Sir skin is correct.
That specs you have or planning to have is already good.
For me I'm using an intel i3 fujitsu lifebook, 500gbhd and a 2 gig ram bundle with sonar 8 and line 6 apps. It sure gets the work done.

Offline secretavenger234

« Reply #978 on: July 25, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
 :) :) Thanks a lot... Well any interface that you would recommend for Home Based recording? Yeah. I just figured that i'll save lots of money with this. While as for drum recording, it shall be done in a studio and just gonna copy the track to be edited, mixed in my rig.  For some other parts like guitar 1 , guitar 2 , bass and vocal tracks, i guess it'll be good enough for a DIY recording... Been planning USB interface like M- audio's Fast Track interface, Fast Track Pro, Fast Track C400... But anything more you want to add up on my options?

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #979 on: July 25, 2012, 01:50:33 PM »
:) :) Thanks a lot... Well any interface that you would recommend for Home Based recording? Yeah. I just figured that i'll save lots of money with this. While as for drum recording, it shall be done in a studio and just gonna copy the track to be edited, mixed in my rig.  For some other parts like guitar 1 , guitar 2 , bass and vocal tracks, i guess it'll be good enough for a DIY recording... Been planning USB interface like M- audio's Fast Track interface, Fast Track Pro, Fast Track C400... But anything more you want to add up on my options?

You can also check out Line6 UX1 / UX2.

You should also consider buying studio monitors and microphones.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 01:51:34 PM by skin »

Offline secretavenger234

« Reply #980 on: July 25, 2012, 07:35:19 PM »
Yes.. My plan is to buy MXL v69 tube mogami edition... With a condenser of course... My first step is really a very good PC for recording

Offline el.sol

« Reply #981 on: August 01, 2012, 08:32:56 PM »
Hi guys, Im planning to upgrade my w7 core2duo DDR2 AMD 4GBram PC to something higher. any suggestions?
DAW: reaper. interface: tascam US1800. inputs:upto 14 simultaeneously (with FX on)

Im planning to use my interface for live setup.like triggering my drum tracks, adding VST amps, using reverbs, preamps, etc with my DAW before going to my PA system.
the prob is im having clicking sound kung marami na maxadong tracks then nka.on yung FX nila.. then my computer hangs. Ive discussed with sir KitC na it might be my computer's specs that's no longer enough to suit my recording needs.

can anybody suggest kung ano kelangan ko na specs for this apps.. BTW, im quite tight on budget, cguro below 20K will do.PC lang po. medjo ignorant ako sa mac eh..

I would really appreciate your replies. thanks!

God bless! :-D
successful transactions with:
teleclem, gandydancer, rockhouse, Prank_sinatra, freak. Mr Pentatonic. pinkybrief, brown, gnokee, RockaRolla, ranjin, Swastika/Cheston Uy, bhajo, pao2pao16, pee, NovidJaff. hoihose,rockhouse, jamesplaysguitar, andrew_O_O,etc

Offline jake z

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #982 on: August 01, 2012, 10:01:19 PM »
Its kinda hard if will use a pc for that. Haven't heard of anyone who uses it.
Probably mac would be the best options, like what periphery does, they're using a mac for their effects and other tracks when performing.

Siguro try nten match yung specs ng mac to a pc, para atleast my basis.

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #983 on: August 02, 2012, 10:03:48 AM »
Hi guys, Im planning to upgrade my w7 core2duo DDR2 AMD 4GBram PC to something higher. any suggestions?
DAW: reaper. interface: tascam US1800. inputs:upto 14 [ice cream] (with FX on)

Im planning to use my interface for live setup.like triggering my drum tracks, adding VST amps, using reverbs, preamps, etc with my DAW before going to my PA system.
the prob is im having clicking sound kung marami na maxadong tracks then nka.on yung FX nila.. then my computer hangs. Ive discussed with sir KitC na it might be my computer's specs that's no longer enough to suit my recording needs.

can anybody suggest kung ano kelangan ko na specs for this apps.. BTW, im quite tight on budget, cguro below 20K will do.PC lang po. medjo ignorant ako sa mac eh..

I would really appreciate your replies. thanks!

God bless! :-D

Try getting a separate PCI card with USB 2.0 slots and plug your Tascam US1800 there.  Check if you still have crackling sounds.  Are you on ASIO or WDM?

Offline el.sol

« Reply #984 on: August 02, 2012, 05:27:54 PM »
@skin: ASIO ser. how much kaya yung additional PCI USB port? what's the diff between the PCI USB port VS the on board ports in terms of performance? same naman cla USB 2.0  :-(
teleclem, gandydancer, rockhouse, Prank_sinatra, freak. Mr Pentatonic. pinkybrief, brown, gnokee, RockaRolla, ranjin, Swastika/Cheston Uy, bhajo, pao2pao16, pee, NovidJaff. hoihose,rockhouse, jamesplaysguitar, andrew_O_O,etc

Offline IamChainess

• Veteran Member
« Reply #985 on: August 02, 2012, 11:58:29 PM »
* Guitar - Cable - 3.5mm jack - PC
* Guitar - Cable - Guitar Link - PC

Sir KitC, regarding this, pwede po bang ang set-up eh

Guitar - Cable - Effects - Cable - Amp - Cable - Guitar Link - PC?  :cute:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #986 on: August 03, 2012, 12:16:34 AM »
It should be guitar - cable - guitar link - usb cable - pc.

In theory, when using pedal fx, you can go guitar - cable - fx - cable - guitar link - pc

When using multifx, the output that goes to the guitar amp should be cabled to the guitar link. If you want to monitor the signal, connect the guitar link headphone out to your amp's stereo aux in or line in if it has one.

As you can see in the examples above, the amp is completely disregarded because the assumption is that you will want to use amp simulators. What kind of amp do you have and what are its outputs and auxes?

Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline IamChainess

• Veteran Member
« Reply #987 on: August 03, 2012, 02:59:51 AM »
It should be guitar - cable - guitar link - usb cable - pc.

In theory, when using pedal fx, you can go guitar - cable - fx - cable - guitar link - pc

When using multifx, the output that goes to the guitar amp should be cabled to the guitar link. If you want to monitor the signal, connect the guitar link headphone out to your amp's stereo aux in or line in if it has one.

As you can see in the examples above, the amp is completely disregarded because the assumption is that you will want to use amp simulators. What kind of amp do you have and what are its outputs and auxes?

Salamat po sir! akala ko kelangan pa ng amp.  :wave:  my current amp is fender reverb 20 (I dunno the exact term?) I guess I might look for a good software  :lol:

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #988 on: August 03, 2012, 07:58:40 AM »
@skin: ASIO ser. how much kaya yung additional PCI USB port? what's the diff between the PCI USB port VS the on board ports in terms of performance? same naman cla USB 2.0  :-(

Ito P300 bago.  http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=18618598

Shared resources ang USB.  I'm sure may iba ka pang nakasaksak sa USB mo.  Unlike if you have PCI USB ports, just dedicate your audio device here.

For reference.
http://www.ehmac.ca/mac-iphone-ipad-ipod-help-troubleshooting/36825-usb-hub-vs-usb-pci-card-any-difference.html

Offline secretavenger234

« Reply #989 on: August 03, 2012, 08:59:37 AM »
Hey guys. Just wanna ask what specs of pc would be perfect for home recording?

I got plenty of options like this MSI Wind Top Ae2210 ...

CPU   
Intel ® Core i3 2120 (3.3GHz)

OS   
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Chipset   
Intel H61

Memory   
4GB DDR3

Graphics   
1.Integrated Intel® HD Graphics 2000

Panel Resolution   
21.5” 1920 x 1080, Full-HD

Touch Panel   
Multi Touch (Optional)

HDD   1TB
Optical Drive   
Tray-in DVD Super Multi

Audio   
  THX TRUSTUDIO PRO™

LAN   
10/100/1000

Wireless LAN   
802.11 b/g/n WiFi

Bluetooth   N/A
USB 3.0 port   
2 (1 Port with Super Charger)

USB 2.0 port   

Card Reader   YES
eSATA   N/A

TV Tuner   
Mini PCI-E interface (Optional)

Expansion Slot   
Mini-PCI-E slots x 2

HDMI in   N/A
HDMI out   

VGA in   N/A
VGA out   N/A
DVI-out   N/A
COM Port   N/A
Mic-in/Headphone-out   
1/1

AC Adapter   
120W / 150W

Will this do??

What's the difference between using MAC PRO or with MAC OS and the pC that i want to buy? Someone told me that recording a sound really makes a huge discrepancy with a good OS , soundcard??? Is it really true? Im really on a budget right now and i dont know if i should dig on MAC...HELP!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #990 on: August 03, 2012, 10:39:03 AM »
Someone told me that recording a sound really makes a huge discrepancy with a good OS , soundcard???

The sad truth with most consumer operating systems today is that they are not optimized for the true 'real-time' requirements of multimedia recording, be it windows or macos or linux, although the latter can be optimized if you strip it down to just the needed components. There used to be tweaked versions of XP where you removed all the non-essentials such as networking, internet, and certain hardware not required for multimedia. For example, why put in a powerful video card when you are specializing the computer for audio? Video card drivers have been known to use up every last bit of cpu headroom just to achieve high frame rates.

Next, having great drivers are very important. Standard windows drivers are so-so; they were just meant for good audio playback with low regard for latency. Asio drivers appear to be the best standard nowadays so any audio card that doesn't support asio is almost always a 2nd or 3rd rate device.

If you will be using your pc for more than just audio, be aware that there will be compromises, but at least try to get the best audio interface you can afford that supports true asio, not asio4all. Next, get the best cpu you can afford and pair it with a very good motherboard. Another important item that is often overlooked is the power supply - get one that isn't generic and is more than capable of powering up your system. You will need the added power when you have several drives. Like I always save, have at least 2 drives, one for the system, and the other for your audio files.

When it comes to ram, 2GB used to be the max, but with win 7, it seems 4gb is now the minimum. More if your are using 64-bit but not much higher if you don't use ram-intensive programs such as samplers. Get good ram, not that generic stuff and make sure you get ones with good ratings. Yes, those X-X-X-XX X.XXv CL ratings mean something and pay attention to the speed of the ram. You don't need the highest speeds and lowest ratings, those are freakishly expensive, but don't get the cheapest ram either.

Finally, get a good case with good, silent fans and excellent ventilation. You don't need case and cpu fan that sound like jet engines in full afterburner everytime you fire up your workstation.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline secretavenger234

« Reply #991 on: August 03, 2012, 10:55:35 AM »
 :-o whOA. I might resort to MAC PRO

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #992 on: August 03, 2012, 10:56:07 AM »
Salamat po sir! akala ko kelangan pa ng amp.  :wave:  my current amp is fender reverb 20 (I dunno the exact term?) I guess I might look for a good software  :lol:

Reaper is actually quite good. Been checking a freeware called Darkwave Studio but it isn't exactly intuitive for most users. One area of it reminds me of Logic's environment.

Your Fender amp doesn't have an output that can plug into your interface so the previous routings I mentioned apply.

Offline el.sol

« Reply #993 on: August 03, 2012, 04:45:02 PM »
@skin: My inerface is the only one connected to my USB port.old skool pa kc mouse and keyboard ko hehe. pano yan? thanks for the links, will explore them din.

Offline IamChainess

• Veteran Member
« Reply #994 on: August 03, 2012, 08:23:08 PM »
Reaper is actually quite good. Been checking a freeware called Darkwave Studio but it isn't exactly intuitive for most users. One area of it reminds me of Logic's environment.

Your Fender amp doesn't have an output that can plug into your interface so the previous routings I mentioned apply.

Salamat po sir!  :)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #995 on: August 03, 2012, 09:14:45 PM »

what exactly is your motherboard? you could be using a usb 1.1 port. One more thing, you might have to check your bios since usb 2.0 is often referred to as 'Hi-speed' while usb 1.1 is 'Full speed'. Go figure.

Offline el.sol

« Reply #996 on: August 04, 2012, 06:16:34 PM »
what exactly is your motherboard? you could be using a usb 1.1 port. One more thing, you might have to check your bios since usb 2.0 is often referred to as 'Hi-speed' while usb 1.1 is 'Full speed'. Go figure.

it says "high speed" I think processor na talaga to.. I can rec upto 14 tracks with no prob as long as no fx is on.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #997 on: August 05, 2012, 01:41:09 PM »
it says "high speed" I think processor na talaga to.. I can rec upto 14 tracks with no prob as long as no fx is on.

Rule of thumb with most systems is to record without fx on UNLESS you have dedicated hardware that have built-in DSP. PT systems do it with ease because their cards have loads of extra processors and ram that deload the cpu from this task. There are other audio interfaces that also do this aside from PT, among them some of the Focusrite interfaces and RME, I believe.

Offline kurt_morello

« Reply #998 on: August 07, 2012, 08:13:21 PM »
Hi Sirs I have an old thinkpad laptop(t60) with these specs:

Intel Dual Core 1.8ghz
4gb ddr2 ram
ati 64mb vga card
160 gb sata hdd

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit(di kaya ng processor ang 64 bit)
Interface: Line 6 UX1-soon to be UX2
DAW: Reaper 4

My prob is may times na umuubo(chop) siya bigla bigla habang nagrerecord or nagplayplayback when reaper is on. I don't know kung ano yung nagcacause non. Or baka sobrang mabagal lang laptop ko. I'm planning to build a desktop for recording but that will take me months to save on. Hope you can help me on this guys.
Geetah Freak's  Blog - http://geetahfreak.wordpress.com/

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #999 on: August 08, 2012, 09:47:39 AM »
The problem with most laptops is that they only have a single drive. I always recommend having a second physical drive so that the system drive is not taxed writing to the swap file and audio file at the same time. The reason for this is physical; the drive head is reading the system, writing to swap, and writing to a temporary audio file all at the same time. A slow system will normally choke in this case, especially since most laptops also have slow, 5400 rpm drives. Changing to 7200 rpm may improve this slightly, but not much since the single drive/multiple file writes are the culprits.

Partitioning the drive will also not work since that will mean that the drive heads are transitioning from one partition to another leading to further drive head latency.