hulika

Author Topic: Help: Squier Classic Vibe Strat Mod  (Read 991 times)

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
Help: Squier Classic Vibe Strat Mod
« on: September 19, 2017, 12:54:25 PM »
I need suggestions/opinions about my plan of replacing the machine heads on my CV 60s strat.

Once it's tuned to correct pitch, they hold the tune pretty well even with extreme bending and light use of trem.

The reason I want to replace them is because I feel like the gear ratio is too low that it makes it very difficult to dial the correct pitch and I often find myself missing it and it can be frustrating sometimes

Has anyone replaced their tuners in a CV strat and what did you replace them with?

I want something that is still kluson type and is a drop-in replacement only, I dont want to drill holes

By the way, I just got a graphtech nut to replace the existing one and I'm planning to do the mods at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Help: Squier Classic Vibe Strat Mod
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 04:24:45 PM »
I believe Gotoh "Kluson-style" tuners have a 1:15 gear ratio which is pretty decent for vintage style tuners, and it's a good quality guitar hardware brand.

Sealed type machine heads would have a higher gear ratio (usually 1:18 or 1:21), but there would be considerable woodwork to be done, and it will look more modern.

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 04:31:32 PM »
I believe Gotoh "Kluson-style" tuners have a 1:15 gear ratio which is pretty decent for vintage style tuners, and it's a good quality guitar hardware brand.

Sealed type machine heads would have a higher gear ratio (usually 1:18 or 1:21), but there would be considerable woodwork to be done, and it will look more modern.

Someone mentioned in one FB thread that the ratio on my CV is 1:7 or 1:12 im not sure which one is correct but eitherway the Gotohs still have a higher ratio.

Do you know whether the Gotohs will be drop-in replacements?

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 04:39:26 PM »
Someone mentioned in one FB thread that the ratio on my CV is 1:7 or 1:12 im not sure which one is correct but eitherway the Gotohs still have a higher ratio.

Do you know whether the Gotohs will be drop-in replacements?

Yup. They should fit just fine. I have a friend, and fellow Philmusic forumer, meron siyang Squier CV tele dati. Decent naman yung stock machine heads, pero mas noticeable yung quality ng Gotoh compared sa stock. Pinalitan namin ng Gotoh with no problem, drop-in replacement naman. :)

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 04:43:27 PM »
Yup. They should fit just fine. I have a friend, and fellow Philmusic forumer, meron siyang Squier CV tele dati. Decent naman yung stock machine heads, pero mas noticeable yung quality ng Gotoh compared sa stock. Pinalitan namin ng Gotoh with no problem, drop-in replacement naman. :)

Wow great! oorder na ko pero do you know which specific model?

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 05:35:56 PM »

Offline Jellybean

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 09:33:29 PM »
La ako pinas bro, nagorder na ko online, update ako dito once natapos ko thanks!