hulika

Author Topic: Local Jazz Teacher  (Read 10380 times)

Offline J_Clef

• Netizen Level
Local Jazz Teacher
« on: August 08, 2006, 09:38:56 AM »
Just want to ask all you nice people in this category if you know, can recommend  anybody (guru) who teaches jazz (piano) basic, theoretical, improvisation, reharmonization, fusion etc w/in the area of QC, Marikina, kindly giv contact #,  thanks
Things that will destroy men: POLITICS w/o PRINCIPLE, PLEASURE w/o CONSCIENCE, WEALTH w/o WORK, KNOWLEDGE w/o CHARACTER, BUSINESS w/o MORALITY, SCIENCE w/o HUMANITY ; WORSHIP w/o SACRIFICE - Gandhi

Offline toybitz

• Board Moderator
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 03:13:04 AM »
eto try mo.... 09167164501..si Dolf yan.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline J_Clef

• Netizen Level
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 09:03:09 AM »
thanks, hope 1st of all he's not gona b a vampire hu's gona suck my hard earned money  dry to d bone. Lastly, hope he's realy good, INNATELY, MUSICALLY  :D
Things that will destroy men: POLITICS w/o PRINCIPLE, PLEASURE w/o CONSCIENCE, WEALTH w/o WORK, KNOWLEDGE w/o CHARACTER, BUSINESS w/o MORALITY, SCIENCE w/o HUMANITY ; WORSHIP w/o SACRIFICE - Gandhi

Offline toybitz

• Board Moderator
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 04:07:17 PM »
:roll:
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline FullofEbak

Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 10:23:38 PM »
i think having a jazz teacher/tutor would be pretty cool. i wonder how much he charges... what i would appreciate also is if a master just gave step-by-step sorta like homework stuff to do it yourself and just ask questions pag may problema.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 01:06:54 PM »
Quote from: J_Clef
thanks, hope 1st of all he's not gona b a vampire hu's gona suck my hard earned money  dry to d bone. Lastly, hope he's realy good, INNATELY, MUSICALLY  :D

Instead of enrolling w/ a piano teacher, why not anger management instead?   :lol:

Offline J_Clef

• Netizen Level
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 12:19:49 AM »
Instead of enrolling w/ a piano teacher, why not anger management instead?

i'm not realy mad wen i said dt u 'moron'! was just hopin dt (Dolf) is not d type of teacher who's gonna waste my time & hard earned money by giving  me all these endless jazz theories (w/c i already know) w/o the benefit of me actually learning from it, applying it, CAPISCE?  

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 12:52:05 AM »
Tsk tsk .. look who's talking.

Maybe you've had a bad day. Maybe you've had your share of bad teachers in the past. But perhaps you could leave your angst at your doorstep and show a little more civility and manners in a public forum such as this ..
"No static at all ..."

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 06:56:35 AM »
i think he's onto something though. i've never heard of emo-jazz before so he's might be on the right track to creating some really original music. :mrgreen:

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 07:50:22 AM »
Quote from: J_Clef
Instead of enrolling w/ a piano teacher, why not anger management instead?

i'm not realy mad wen i said dt u 'moron'! was just hopin dt (Dolf) is not d type of teacher who's gonna waste my time & hard earned money by giving  me all these endless jazz theories (w/c i already know) w/o the benefit of me actually learning from it, applying it, CAPISCE?  

bro, for someone asking for help, you sure don't sound like the type who would appreciate and be thankful for it.  matatakot ang mga jazz teacher sa yo kung wala pa 1st lesson eh meron ka na mga high-falutin conditionalities. and the language you used would scare them off.

oh well, good luck na lang sa yo!
- deltaslim (ie, "moron")

Offline J_Clef

• Netizen Level
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 09:33:36 AM »
Maybe you've had a bad day. Maybe you've had your share of bad teachers in the past. But perhaps you could leave your angst at your doorstep and show a little more civility and manners in a public forum such as this
..No didn't exactly hav a bad day, but your right about somethin, it's true i'v had my share of bad as well as GREAT Teachers, won't mention anymor the Bad for the sake of 'civility & manners' so to speak, one of them (Great Teachers) in all modesty & humility is no less than the father of Philippine Jazz himself, the late GREAT FRED ROBLES. But that doesn't also mean i'm old as your father or grandfather, cuz i was able to get lessons a good few years before his death. I wasn't able to complete my course though due to his failing health."SAYANG!"   My apologies for my language. Didn't mean to be uncivilized nor misbehave ill-manneredly by my VERBAL outburst. I was merely reacting from what i perceive was an insult to my person, sorry Delta Slim, cuz i'm serious in my quest in finding a worthy local jazz teacher, not just for myself, but for my kids as well,
CAPISCE?

superpie

Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 10:44:51 AM »
masarap ba yung capisce?

Offline J_Clef

• Netizen Level
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 08:29:05 PM »
masarap ba yung capisce?
HA-HA-HA!!!   :lol:  If u enjoy spicy Sicilian delicacies & piranha fish,  sure! Peace & Love brotherl!!! CAPISCE  

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 08:34:48 PM »
Fred Robles was the dean of pinoyjazz educators and founder of the UP Jazz Ensemble. Looks like you learned from the best. I guess your best bet to is to learn from a player - a "senor " who actually gives lessons on the side. Guys are Tots Tolentino and Michael Guevara I hear are great teachers - but they're sax players. But you may benefit from the theory. As for keyboardists, have you tried askiing players like Elmir Sayson and Ria Osorio (who's young but just might be giving lessons) if they give lessons? Everyone has a sideline gig nowadays so you never know.

Offline J_Clef

• Netizen Level
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 08:56:46 PM »
Fred Robles was the dean of pinoyjazz educators and founder of the UP Jazz Ensemble. Looks like you learned from the best. I guess your best bet to is to learn from a player - a "senor " who actually gives lessons on the side. Guys are Tots Tolentino and Michael Guevara I hear are great teachers - but they're sax players. But you may benefit from the theory. As for keyboardists, have you tried askiing players like Elmir Sayson and Ria Osorio (who's young but just might be giving lessons) if they give lessons? Everyone has a sideline gig nowadays so you never know.
Thanks Bro, really appreciate that! wel, thats really d problem generally w/ most of our great Pinoy musicians isn't it? most of the best are just too damn busy makin hay, makin a name for themselves w/ no time anymore to share their God given gifts/talents to poor old brethren in need lyk me, who hunger & thirst to develop their skill in JAZZ/BLUES.  TSK-TSK-TSK, No wonder this country has gone to the dogs!

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 09:19:00 PM »
JClef,

Granted that you've had your fair share of the 'basics' from very good teachers, what's stopping you from learning on your own? We do understand that one can never undermine the value of a really 'hands-on' approach to jazz education, but then again, assuming that you've grasped the rudiments, I'm very sure that you can very well satisfy your 'hunger and thirst' for jazz/blues via online resources.

I've seen a lot of jazz instructional sites that have very good lessons/transcripts - for piano as well as other instruments. While looking around for a teacher, maybe these sites may be of help for the meantime.
"No static at all ..."

Offline J_Clef

• Netizen Level
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 08:14:04 AM »
Deacon Blues,
Granted that you've had your fair share of the 'basics' from very good teachers, what's stopping you from learning on your own? We do understand that one can never undermine the value of a really 'hands-on' approach to jazz education, but then again, assuming that you've grasped the rudiments, I'm very sure that you can very well satisfy your 'hunger and thirst' for jazz/blues via online resources.

I've seen a lot of jazz instructional sites that have very good lessons/transcripts - for piano as well as other instruments. While looking around for a teacher, maybe these sites may be of help for the meantime

Bro, believ me, i'v been learning/studying hard on my own for a good number of years now, "QUIETLY", i appreciate your concern, suggestion, can you fill in the blanks? I mean, the sites? thanks :P

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
no offense but...
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 09:07:36 AM »
[/b]almost everybody have taken lessons in their early years of playin.just so you would know your basics and have a good foundation.

but i think what blues deacon meant was...now that you know the basics, it's time to break out on your own.that means performing, jamming out in the open.

also watching the pros do their thing onstage,which im sure you have done.but why not jam with them onstage? grab a beer or two, then when you have your courage...go ahead and dive in the jam.

i think that would be a great avenue for your 'further studies'. playing actual music in front of people teaches you more in one hour, than 10 hrs in a classroom/controlled environment.

and if youve been active in the music scene, then i would think youre on your way.
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 09:09:36 AM »
oh...also you can google " jazz piano free online lessons"

im sure there are bro.just gotta use the internet wisely.
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: no offense but...
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2006, 11:47:33 AM »
Quote from: blues2death

also watching the pros do their thing onstage,which im sure you have done.but why not jam with them onstage? grab a beer or two, then when you have your courage...go ahead and dive in the jam.

I don't think it's the same as a blues jam where "feel" will get you through the piece. A "jazz jam" means you need to get your chops together first and that calls for some woodshedding before unleashing yourself to an unsuspecting public :)

Might I suggest those instrumental minus ones where you can practice playing the "head" and the improvisational section on your own? They used to advertise these in downbeat - if not there are ways you can do this on a computer, i.e. "Band In A Box" software or play a MIDI file through a sequencer and mute the lead instrument or melody and stretch out the jam section about 48 bars, hehe

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2006, 11:56:27 AM »
on the contrary...i think the setting might be different.but the concept is the same.

of course, you wanna get your chops together....same as wether jazz or blues or even funk...country?

:lol:

the concept of live performance is what im getting at...not merely just a jam.just wanna make myself clear. :) the experience of playing in front of an audience will give you more wisdom than practicin at home...even if it means fallin on your face.

regardless of genres

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2006, 12:00:21 PM »
Quote from: pinoymusika

I don't think it's the same as a blues jam where "feel" will get you through the piece. A "jazz jam" means you need to get your chops together first and that calls for some woodshedding before unleashing yourself to an unsuspecting public :)

Ha ha. I tried jamming with three of the best players here in philmusic and I felt inept while playing keys (buti walang audience). But I'll try again. I actually learned much from that first encounter.
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2006, 12:06:06 PM »
J Clef,

Try this one: http://www.learnjazzpiano.com. Although you might find it too easy with your skills now, it still is helpful esp. the midi downloads.  Sayang, i just don't really have the time to really practice what this site suggests..
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2006, 12:39:37 PM »
on the contrary...i think the setting might be different.but the concept is the same.

of course, you wanna get your chops together....same as wether jazz or blues or even funk...country?

Well for one thing - there are a helluva lot more chords in jazz :)

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2006, 12:58:52 PM »
Quote from: pinoymusika

Well for one thing - there are a helluva lot more chords in jazz :)

ok,ok,ok..... :lol: