hulika

Author Topic: "Tasty Fillings"  (Read 7180 times)

Offline toybitz

Re: "Tasty Fillings"
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 11:33:14 PM »
imho...

fills becomes tasty when put in the right place...when it serves a song...

if a songs needs more..then by no means it does give me goosebumps where and whenever it's struck..same if a song needs less..

example of more is from the band Temple of the Dog, song is Your Saviour (Matt Cameron)...

and less...U2's With or Without You (Larry Mullen) just right...a beat before Bono sings "whoa..."

teka, parang off ang sagot ko ah!  :-D

tasty fills to me are fills that aren't "gas gas"...but new to the ears...and solidly "in" like Matt Cameron's on Soundgarden albums and Temple of the Dog...

I love Tim Alexander too.  Vinnie C..
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2007, 10:14:06 AM »
^^^ :-D
Nice input, Toybitz. Thanks.

Well, then we can expand this topic into Tasty Groove & Fills Reference Thread!   :-)

Another groove and fills that sweeps me off my seat is David Garibaldi's renditon on Tower of Power's Squib Cake and Eastside...I always find myself gasping for breath!  :lol:
So Be It.

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2007, 10:51:11 AM »
Fills got a renaissance the last decade (no small thanks to Pearl Jam and funk rock), kaya siguro medyo nagsawa ako. I just want to play straight poste with pasingit-singit on the singit (not that I can do much more than this, really... hahaha).

Sabi nga ni Dax (of Purple Haze)... "Maraming magaling, pero iilan lang ang masarap."
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline BiliBidboy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2007, 11:54:33 AM »
its all about "lagkit ng palo" hehehe kahit simple fill lng sarap pakinggan.. :wink:
X-DW user...SPAUN convert!

Offline toybitz

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2007, 01:37:30 AM »
yeah...

another tasty filler is Chad Smith on the Blood Sugar Sex Magik album...

yun Soul to Squeeze, ganda nun fill dun ah..nag end up yun long fill sa open/close hi hat.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline bugoy_king

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2007, 10:09:16 AM »
Kung "sarap" fills lang ang pag-uusapan, doon na ako kay Jeff Porcaro. Yung mga fill nya Toto songs na I'll Be Over You, Africa (lalo na yung live version), Rosanna, I Won't Hold You Back, etc. hindi masyadong technical, pero napaka-lagkit at napaka-sarap pakinggan

Offline metalmuhlisha

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2007, 06:08:34 PM »
all time favorite fills ko parin yung ginagawa nila sean kinney (alice in chains) at martin lopez (ex-opeth).
kung di mo alam, isipin muna ang GMG bago ang lahat: Google Mo, G**O!

nO RLY

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2007, 10:28:06 AM »
mga fills ni Vic Mercado pati J-hoon ng Kjwan. maganda pakinggan. kay Vic, "complicated" yung fills niya. bale parang andami niyang pinapalo. tapos si J-hoon naman, drum rolls na may magagandang accents pati minsan rim shots na mabibilis. ayos.. 8-)

Offline haroniel

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2007, 03:25:10 PM »
A unique fill is something that makes a drummer an individual. I think that makes a fill tasty.. being unique and musical...and of course, proper placement and proper usage. Just be CREATIVE!

Here are some examples of Monster Fills:

Vinnie Colaiuta

http://www.keithcronin.com/licks/aliens.mp3

Vinnie Colaiuta
http://www.keithcronin.com/licks/vinnie_neon_moonlight.mp3

Manu Katche
http://www.drummerworld.com/m3u/manukatcheTravellingWest.m3u

Offline haroniel

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2007, 04:42:52 PM »
Ang mga sumusunod ay pawang mga opinyon ko lamang.

To make the fill tasty, we need to go back to basics.

BASIC GUIDELINES

1.Place the Fills Properly-

Play the fill before the chorus, between two choruses, after the chorus, and sometimes, between 2 stanzas. Don't overplay between stanzas para hindi harsh pakinggan. Use either short or long fill before chorus, use short and simple fills after choruses and between stanzas; use power fills/licks between two choruses for dramatic effect.

2.Use Proper Fills-

Simple lang, rock fills for rock music; mellow fills for mellow music; etc... ibagay lang yung fill sa type ng music.

3.Use Variety of Fills-

Mas exciting sigurong pakinggan ang song pag iba iba ang fill kesa ung iisang fill lang ang ginagamit sa lahat ng song...para hindi boring pakinggan. You may right down all your fills sa music book para maipon at "magkapondo".

4.Make it Expressive-

Drum fills can actually express emotions..  They can make the song sound dramatic and powerful; and bring the music down to "normal" level. Try putting a character to your fill, as well as to the song. It can be "mabangis", "mabagsik", "malupit", "killer fill", "unpredictable", etc..etc.. bahala ka na sa term.. The character/expression of the fill depends on how you create its sound.

5. Be Creative-

Experiment. Try manipulating the notes or the pattern, reverse the sticking (right left right),create your own combos and licks..and apply some concepts of composing fills.

6.Avoid Guessing-

Mas safe siguro kung sure ka sa gagawin mong fill during gigs para iwas mistake.

7.Never Overplay-

A song doesn't always require licks, and power fills. Remember your dynamics. Pwedeng panay simpleng fills lang in some cases. Avoid playing fills every after 2 measures para malinis pakinggan. And one thing more, the drummer is not only the musician in a band. Give way to other musicians to show off their stuffs.

I hope the guidelines could help.

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2007, 05:21:26 PM »
^^Nice input there, haroniel. Thanks.  :-)

Pinaka paborito kong fill yung 3/4 feel over 4/4 time. Bale 16ths with triplet feel sya, saka paradiddle...

...dahil yun lang alam ko eh!  :lol:

So Be It.

Offline kibohead

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2007, 06:39:26 PM »
ok yun bamm...especially the one played by donati on his elims and the weckl's drum solo where he used the 3/4 pattern...  :-)

Offline haroniel

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2007, 04:10:42 PM »
Yung 3/4 feel the same ba yun sa triplet feel?