hulika

Author Topic: Guitar Luthiers in the Philippines  (Read 19771 times)

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Guitar Luthiers in the Philippines
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 02:54:39 PM »
and for local "luthiers" ..not really sought after mga pieces of works nila.....mahirap pa ibenta..
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 05:48:09 PM »
and for local "luthiers" ..not really sought after mga pieces of works nila.....mahirap pa ibenta..
The more telling fact to be pointed out here is that people are actually trying to sell their custom guitars.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2014, 05:50:04 PM »
The more telling fact to be pointed out here is that people are actually trying to sell their custom guitars.

Agree with this. may factor parin talaga ng "wanting more". GAS never ends hahahah
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2014, 06:04:46 PM »
Luthier came from the French word luth. It is also not another name for guitarrerro since luthier applies to any stringed instrument.

Incidentally, what do you call someone who built these guitars if luthier is not the correct term?

Or the persons who repaired these guitars?

What about those who do not use traditional guitar materials and invent their own pickups?

Offline opencoke

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 01:38:13 AM »
IMO, one word. "Luthier".
Paf joe, Evo2, Breeds... STEVE VAI <3

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2014, 07:04:36 AM »
A Guitar Builder is anyone who builds guitars.  Ang nagpapanggap na Guitar Builder is someone who does not know how to build guitars and passes it off as a guitar.  Parang siyang DIY na palyado - 90% ng mga nandito sa Pinas ay ganyang klase.

A Guitar Builder is different from a Luthier.  People who assemble and build guitars for Paul Reed Smith are called guitar builders but Paul Reed Smith - I consider a Luthier.

For me a Luthier is someone who is schooled in the art of guitar building or mentored under a known craftsmen for a significant experience OR educated thru a ton of experience at least thirty years or so with famous artists abroad and is considered an authority by American, Japanese and European companies.

Offline horge

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2014, 08:03:31 AM »
Luthier came from the French word luth. It is also not another name for guitarrerro since luthier applies to any stringed instrument.

Hi.
I'll assume you're addressing me, since you're focusing on the term guitarrero.
Luthier and guitarrero are interchangeable within the context of this forum,
which doesn't dwell so much on lutes, lyres, harps... but on guitars; and
most especially within the context of OP's request for info. Thread title pa lang,
he asked for "guitar luthiers", so I was operating in that vein.

If you want to get all pedantic and stuff, that can be fun, but you maybe ought devote
the energy to playing with Alex, since he's the one who seems to be belittling local talent.

Incidentally, what do you call someone who built these guitars if luthier is not the correct term?

IRL, I routinely refer to them by name, followed by "yung gumagawa ng gitara".
In GC forum, I favor "builder", because "luthier" sounds un peu trop efféminé pour moi, kek.
Luthier, guitarrero, or builder... it's really all the same to me, because, as I had
alluded to prior: I don't have my head firmly planted in the Old World or the so-called New.
I don't place much stock in pedigree either. It's the actual goods that count.

If a guitar sounds good to me and plays well for me, then that's all that matters.
I don't even care if it sounds good to others, including some self-proclaimed 'tone experts'.
Now, some 'tone experts' have the attitude that if it's local, it is generally inferior to imports.
I don't value their opinions on that subject too much, as I have my own ears/eyes/fingers
to make my own assessments.

I play because I want to play: not to impress others or pretend at credibility.
I buy a guitar because I need one to play, not to impress others or pretend at credibility.

Cheers.
:)

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 09:16:44 AM by horge »

Offline mbsunga

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2014, 08:37:09 AM »

If a guitar sounds good to me and plays well for me, then that's all that matters.
I don't even care if it sounds good to others, including some self-proclaimed 'tone experts'.
Now, some 'tone experts' have the attitude that if it's local, it is generally inferior to imports.
I don't value their opinions on that subject too much, as I have my own ears/eyes/fingers
to make my own assessments.

I play because I want to play: not to impress others or pretend at credibility.
I buy a guitar because I need one to play, not to impress others or pretend at credibility.

Cheers.
:)
+1

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2014, 10:09:29 AM »

I don't place much stock in pedigree either. It's the actual goods that count.

I agree. A luthier, by definition, builds or repairs stringed instruments. IMO, it does not matter where he got the training as long as he does his job to the satisfaction of his customers.

Offline horge

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2014, 11:42:25 AM »
Amen.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 12:00:08 PM by horge »

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 02:09:26 PM »
Well said Horge... well said :)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2014, 06:12:15 PM »

If you want to get all pedantic and stuff, that can be fun, but you maybe ought devote
the energy to playing with Alex, since he's the one who seems to be belittling local talent.

Sobrang taas ang tingin niyo sa local talent -- what little exists.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2014, 06:16:54 PM »
I agree. A luthier, by definition, builds or repairs stringed instruments. IMO, it does not matter where he got the training as long as he does his job to the satisfaction of his customers.

Maraming sira ulong customers na mas marunong pa sa mga nag rerepair.  Mga iba naman ang baba ng standards.  Mga iba kuripot.  Kaya mga training degree para ipakita na the person repairing your guitar has met the minimum standards of what is regarded worldwide as a luthier.

As an analogy, parang piloto iyan.  Its not only the satisfaction of the passengers that count but that he is also knowledgeable and passed the minimum requirements to fly a passenger air plane.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 06:15:58 AM by firemodel55 »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2014, 06:33:45 PM »
I mean common guys...  Gusto niyo tawag na Guitar Luthier ang taga gawa niyo ng gitara pero gusto niyo naman presyong guitar repair man.  If anybody cares to check the prices of acknowledged and known guitar luthiers outside the Philippines, would any of you care to pay for the same service at their rates?

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2014, 07:53:03 PM »
It's frustrating to know that it's nobody's fault that we can't agree on a proper term for "people who fix and/or build guitars and other stringed instruments." People tend to assign additional significance to the title "luthier" after all. It does sound a lot like the No true Scotsman fallacy to me though.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Guitar Luthiers in the Philippines
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2014, 08:05:42 PM »
I mean common guys...  Gusto niyo tawag na Guitar Luthier ang taga gawa niyo ng gitara pero gusto niyo naman presyong guitar repair man.  If anybody cares to check the prices of acknowledged and known guitar luthiers outside the Philippines, would any of you care to pay for the same service at their rates?

Can you please provide a link to a site that supports your definition of what a luthier is?

Cost of service in the Philippines is way lower than the same service when done in the states.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 08:08:37 PM by royc »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2014, 07:53:33 AM »
Can you please provide a link to a site that supports your definition of what a luthier is?

Cost of service in the Philippines is way lower than the same service when done in the states.

There you go... its all in the price.  How sad, in the other thread, at least someone pointed out that we should give our local guitar builders a chance by paying them as much and trusting them to deliver on the same value.

Its funny I was telling my friend luthier that since his refret jobs are considered by many to be on the level of world class, to increase his price because I felt he was under paid - in the USA he would be paid 4x as much - but he refused to.  That's why we were talking about migrating abroad.  Ang masakit lang sa Pinoy, 1/4 the price pero expectation USA quality.  Sana man 1/4 USA quality. Heh heh.

This reminds me of my Made In China Sony Experia Z1.  It cost me P36k which for me its the most expensive cellphone I have bought at this point in time.  Yet following your logic, dapat hindi ganun ka mahal.  Mas sulit pa yata kung bumili na lang ako ng Vertu. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 06:18:19 AM by firemodel55 »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2014, 08:14:00 AM »

Better yet, I will give you a definition much better than mine or yours:

John Monteleone was born in Manhattan in 1947 and was raised on Long Island. He had taught himself at an early age to build guitars and began professionally restoring and building stringed musical instruments in 1973 after graduating Tarkio College with a degree to teach music.

Recognized as being one of the finest living archtop guitar and mandolin makers in the world today, John Monteleone has been at the forefront of innovative cutting-edge archtop instrument making for many years.

His uniquely designed instruments are the essence of artistic expression, reflected in the subtle but challenging marriage of form and function.

John Monteleone has been pushing the luthiery envelope for more than forty years with his refreshing passion for new and elegant designs. Producing instruments of great tonal expression is also one of Monteleone’s missions in life.

A dedication to the refined harmonic balances of tone and playability is always the central nucleus of structural foundation around which he often introduces the more interesting design accents and playful nature of his original and beautiful works.

Although Monteleone offers a line of standard high-end instruments he is also well known for his one-of-a kind extravagantly individualized and prized custom works of playable musical art.

Offline judas.cradle

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2014, 10:18:26 PM »
I think almost all of them has their separate threads here in PM. Just go search for it so that we can avoid redundancy.

di ko po alam name nila , nagSearch ako  dito pero wala ako nakita, yung kay sir max lang po.  hehe

Offline judas.cradle

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2014, 10:26:17 PM »
http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=294599.0

ayon, di ko ito n akita . XD
asige . sana lang din mura, kasi papagawa sana ako ng neck . XD

Offline judas.cradle

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2014, 10:28:13 PM »
kasama ba sa criteria ng pgiging "luthier" kung gaano kaayos yung shop nya, may pinuntahan kase ko minsan na "luthier", bahing ako ng bahing dahil sa amoy at kalat. :)

saan yung luthier na yon idol?
nagpagawa ka? howmuch? XD

wala naman ako sa ganun , actually mas priority ko yung quality and price. XD

Offline JanMayer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2014, 11:00:06 PM »
wala naman ako sa ganun , actually mas priority ko yung quality and price. XD
Try niyo po sir kay Arcee, Sa may Pacita, San Pedro Laguna. Meron din po silang sariling thread dito just search for it :)
The blues don't change.

Offline judas.cradle

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2014, 11:51:17 PM »
Try niyo po sir kay Arcee, Sa may Pacita, San Pedro Laguna. Meron din po silang sariling thread dito just search for it :)

asige po . XD
malayo nga lang pero kung mura naman, bka pwede nadin. salamat idol! XD

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Guitar Luthiers in the Philippines
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2014, 08:41:25 AM »
asige po . XD
malayo nga lang pero kung mura naman, bka pwede nadin. salamat idol! XD

Here's a list with location

http://royconguitars.blogspot.com/2014/01/guide-to-local-luthiers.html?m=1

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2014, 09:11:43 AM »
ayon, di ko ito n akita . XD
asige . sana lang din mura, kasi papagawa sana ako ng neck . XD
Here's a friendly piece of advice... Pag merong nag quote sa iyo ng neck for less than P7,000, mag-ingat ka, maghanap ka ng sample work at kilatisin mo muna.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com