hulika

Author Topic: True Acoustic Tone  (Read 1172813 times)

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: True Acoustic Tone
« Reply #950 on: July 09, 2008, 09:13:55 PM »
The whole laminate vs solid issue... well, a really well made laminate guitar can sound better than a shabbily made solid, and what it's all about is sound and playability.

yes this is true...but comparing a really well-made solid with a really well-made laminate, no doubt that the former will beat the latter.  i was stating an "all things being equal" statement. :-)

I figure there's two kinds of guitars really, the lifetime guitars and the others.  If you find one that sounds right and feels right and is built to last, that's worth paying for because it's gonna stay with you for the duration.  Of course this is coming from someone whose bicycle is worth more than his truck, which to me just means I have my priorities straight  :-D.

damn straight.  :-D

we spend for the things that we think are worth spending on.  and those include killer guitars.   :-)
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline dayuhan

• Netizen Level
« Reply #951 on: July 11, 2008, 03:17:57 PM »
I know the jump from 11's to 13's is pretty drastic. (I'll admit, masakit talaga siya sa kamay.. 20-30 mins. lang) Tonewise parang stiff na rin yung tunog para sakin. It's boomy, and I like that.. but it doesn't 'sing' that much for me anymore.
10's & 11's for me sound almost the same (I don't have the best ears). So perhaps 12's would be the just right balance of tone & comfort.

If you want the sound of big strings without the burden on the fingers, one solution is to tune the whole thing down a half step.  The reduced tension compensates for the greater weight and is easier on the fingers and on the instrument.  If you need to play in standard, capo on the first fret and you're good to go.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 05:50:17 PM by dayuhan »
Lucky I'm sane after all I've been through
I can't complain, but sometimes I still do
Life's been good to me so far...

Offline luin_theblue

• Veteran Member
« Reply #952 on: July 15, 2008, 02:07:19 PM »
Hey guys. Nakahanap ako ng isang Charvel 525D NAT (Made in Korea) sa isang bodega.

Kinda looks like that.

One of the plastic pins are broken already. So I'm saving up to 1) replace the whole set (they all seem brittle already anyway), 2) change the plastic nuts and saddles to bone ones, 3) and replace the electronics if they don't work anymore, and 4) change the output jack to one with a strap holder, and 5) repair of electronics (if they don't work) :)

How much would you guys think my reviving of the guitar would cost?

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #953 on: July 15, 2008, 02:26:20 PM »

basically, your guitar just needs a general setup (intonation, refret (?) ) . and maybe some replacements. but the cost wouldn't be that high given you opt for cheaper alternatives. (plastic pins, a standard set of electronics, bone nut) tataas lang yan pag mahal ang mga ipapalit mo. try to weigh the cost if its worth it to go the "expensive" route.

I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline borgy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #954 on: July 16, 2008, 01:46:34 AM »
Hi

What would be the best sounding OM bodied guitar(rosewood)? price range is $1500-2000. Martin has a lot to offer but I am quite hesitant cos of the brand is too much commercialized. Larrivee, they say, offers quality more than the name.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Gibson ES-335 dot Historic, 1978  Fender Sunburst Strat. Suhr Classic T. McNeill OM guitar, Yamaha APX7,Fender Ultralight, Brown Note 18w, Purkhiser Amp, Firebelly Deluxe Reverb,  Mad Professor Little Green Wonder, AYA Drivesta,

Offline GGBR

« Reply #955 on: July 16, 2008, 01:55:46 AM »
Hey guys. Nakahanap ako ng isang Charvel 525D NAT (Made in Korea) sa isang bodega.

Kinda looks like that.

One of the plastic pins are broken already. So I'm saving up to 1) replace the whole set (they all seem brittle already anyway), 2) change the plastic nuts and saddles to bone ones, 3) and replace the electronics if they don't work anymore, and 4) change the output jack to one with a strap holder, and 5) repair of electronics (if they don't work) :)

The most critical of concerns that I would have for such an acquisition would be the neck angle. This can make (break) your 'find'.

Take a straight edge (at least 24") & sit it on the fretboard running along (between strings 3-4) centerline. Without lifting, move it towards the bridge till the forward edge comes into contact with the bridge. The bottom edge should match (level) the top of the bridge. Very critical! Otherwise you're in for a neck reset. All other improvements are easily achievable without having to greatly affect your acquisition cost.

Offline GGBR

« Reply #956 on: July 16, 2008, 02:08:05 AM »
Hi

What would be the best sounding OM bodied guitar(rosewood)? price range is $1500-2000. Martin has a lot to offer but I am quite hesitant cos of the brand is too much commercialized. Larrivee, they say, offers quality more than the name.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

What do you mean by "commercialized"?   Both the brands you mentioned are "commercialized", getting what you meant as being readily available in most guitar stores, would this be correct? Or would your question be - based on customer feedback, which "commercially" produced brand would have the most "sound vs cost effectiveness"? Ganun ba yun? Medyo very subjective yan.

Offline borgy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #957 on: July 16, 2008, 05:02:32 AM »
Oh ok. Sorry it was quite muddy. Anyway let me rephrase... For a budget of 1500-2000, which OM brand will give you the best deal?
Gibson ES-335 dot Historic, 1978  Fender Sunburst Strat. Suhr Classic T. McNeill OM guitar, Yamaha APX7,Fender Ultralight, Brown Note 18w, Purkhiser Amp, Firebelly Deluxe Reverb,  Mad Professor Little Green Wonder, AYA Drivesta,

Offline dayuhan

• Netizen Level
« Reply #958 on: July 16, 2008, 10:16:45 AM »
Oh ok. Sorry it was quite muddy. Anyway let me rephrase... For a budget of 1500-2000, which OM brand will give you the best deal?

Martin and Taylor both make very nice smaller bodied guitars, but there's no doubt that you pay a substantial name premium in both cases.

I've never played a Larrivee, but heard good things; they are also not cheap and the name carries some weight, though it's less well known than Martin or Taylor.

I think Guild offers huge value; "twice the guitar for half the money" may be exaggerated but not by much.  While they're mostly aimed at bigger instruments, you might want to look at the F47R.  It's Grand Orchestra, not OM, but you're talking a size difference of .625 inches across the lower bout and virtually identical across the waist.  Very nice guitars and in your price range.

If you're shopping in the US, definitely look at what's available second hand, some really exceptional deals come up.
Lucky I'm sane after all I've been through
I can't complain, but sometimes I still do
Life's been good to me so far...

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #959 on: July 17, 2008, 10:32:12 AM »

pare, since nasa canada ka naman... just try all the om guitars w/in your budget... personally i like martin 00028vs... hanap ka ng used nasa mga 2k yan...the gibson robert johnson  model is also a very nice... approximating the size of the martin om or 000.. may larrivee ka na di ba??? om03 model??? taylors are also nice, modern sounding, balance... rosewood talaga gusto mo??? maganda maple models ng taylor, ibang iba dun sa gibby mo :-)

Offline borgy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #960 on: July 17, 2008, 12:08:12 PM »
pare, since nasa canada ka naman... just try all the om guitars w/in your budget... personally i like martin 00028vs... hanap ka ng used nasa mga 2k yan...the gibson robert johnson  model is also a very nice... approximating the size of the martin om or 000.. may larrivee ka na di ba??? om03 model??? taylors are also nice, modern sounding, balance... rosewood talaga gusto mo??? maganda maple models ng taylor, ibang iba dun sa gibby mo :-)

My Larrivee 0m3 is gone. It was very good for its 600 price.Sulit. I tried the OM bodied Martins especially the OM21 special and Om28. Halos kasing tunog lang ng OM3 or OM5 rosewood ng larrivee. That's why I am quite hesitant to get a Martin. I agree that Taylors are nice with maple wood pero mahal. I am still eyeing on an OM28v na 2nd hand.

At DAYUHAN:

I also heard nice reviews about Guild. I just dont see them frequently in the 2nd hand market.  Thanks for the advise.

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #961 on: July 17, 2008, 06:41:14 PM »
collings ka nalang :-D
dont forget to try the 12th fret models from martin and larrivee... panalo... kung ako 00028vs talaga

the newer guilds that i have tried were stiff... matigas at tukod tumunog...

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #962 on: July 17, 2008, 08:12:40 PM »

price-wise, mas mahal ang Martins compared to Larrivees.  tone-wise, for my ears and fingers mas superior ang Martin. 

i got to try out several Martins and Larrivees when i went to Tom Lee HK.  iba talaga tumunog ang Martin.  i tried the OM and OOO bodies kasi yun ang gusto ko talaga.  maganda din tumunog ang Larrivee and considering the price, it's a worthy catch.  compared to the Taylors and Gibsons i've tried there, mas nagustuhan ko ang Larrivee.  spruce-rosewood combo Larrivee yata yung nasubukan ko.

the problem with what happened to me was...i went straight to the Martin room and spent a good 1 hour just playing there.  kaya when i shifted to Taylor, natigasan na ako sa tunog nya.  when i shifted to a Gibson, parang bitin ang sustain nya.  but when i tried the Larrivee, it still sounded pleasant to the ear.  :-)

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #963 on: July 18, 2008, 09:43:21 AM »
does froggybottom guitar fit his budget?

I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline GGBR

« Reply #964 on: July 18, 2008, 05:34:06 PM »
does froggybottom guitar fit his budget?

he he..sana :-D :mrgreen: the ebay may have a solution to that...haven't encountered a froggy bottom on ebay...

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #965 on: July 19, 2008, 01:03:23 AM »
froggys are expensive... 3k up ang used prices unless may sira :-)

Offline borgy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #966 on: July 21, 2008, 12:53:00 AM »
Eto sana ang gas-ending OM para sakin. Kung may pera lang ako.......

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/msg/762113300.html

Offline borgy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #967 on: July 21, 2008, 01:10:08 PM »
My new acoustic setup. AER amp is just wicked.
Yamaha APX7 and Gibson BKE

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #968 on: July 23, 2008, 07:05:21 PM »
hehehe. yep!

pare, dumating na yung K&K mo? 

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #969 on: July 23, 2008, 08:11:16 PM »
My new acoustic setup. AER amp is just wicked.
Yamaha APX7 and Gibson BKE

i was saving up to get a Compact60 before...pero i got another amp instead.   :-D

how much did it cost you?

Offline borgy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #970 on: July 24, 2008, 12:19:51 PM »
i was saving up to get a Compact60 before...pero i got another amp instead.   :-D

how much did it cost you?

680 CAD ( x 43 petot) lang. Brand new pa. Meron nyan dati sa JB music . I really wanted it  but it cost 65k. The person who sold that also owns the Collings OM3 Brazilian Rosewood. He told me he wanted to learn guitar that's why he bought it. Darn!! What a freaking fortunate guy!! He starts with a 7k CAD guitar just to strum some basic chords?
I got to try his Collings also. Badtrip. The best OM I have ever tried. it was ridiculously light but tone was very defined. Ayoko bitawan It just sings. Better than the Brazilian Rosewood Clapton guitar.

eto sya.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #971 on: July 25, 2008, 12:26:44 AM »
680 CAD ( x 43 petot) lang. Brand new pa. Meron nyan dati sa JB music . I really wanted it  but it cost 65k. The person who sold that also owns the Collings OM3 Brazilian Rosewood. He told me he wanted to learn guitar that's why he bought it. Darn!! What a freaking fortunate guy!! He starts with a 7k CAD guitar just to strum some basic chords?
I got to try his Collings also. Badtrip. The best OM I have ever tried. it was ridiculously light but tone was very defined. Ayoko bitawan It just sings. Better than the Brazilian Rosewood Clapton guitar.

eto sya.

great score!  i hope you're enjoying it now with your acoustics. 

that's the thing with those who can afford.  well..we gotta give it to them though.  :-)

Offline borgy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #972 on: July 25, 2008, 01:50:49 PM »
I am very amazed by the sound the compact 60 can create. I am using the Gibson BKE and it sounded so nice with it. I still have to try magnetic pickups. Di ko alam kung same quality ng piezo.

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #973 on: July 27, 2008, 07:34:57 PM »
pare, dumating na yung K&K mo? 

ah not yet. dis week! yahoo!

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #974 on: July 30, 2008, 10:08:11 AM »
my package arrived at long last...i just hope they will work for my guitar.  :-D