hulika

Author Topic: Dream Theater: Octavarium  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Super BisDak

• Philmusicus Addictus
Dream Theater: Octavarium
« on: June 10, 2005, 08:20:43 AM »

Released: Jun 7, 2005
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal, Progressive Metal, Neo-Prog
Number Of Tracks: 8

Tracks:
01. The Root Of All Evil
02. The Answer Lies Within
03. These Walls
04. I Walk Beside You
05. Panic Attack
06. Never Enough
07. Sacrificed Sons
08. Octavarium

The much anticipated new album opens with what I consider to be one of the best Dream Theater songs since 1999's Scenes From A Memory. At first it didn't seem to be much of a venture from the last album, but that changes quickly. The riffs are still heavy and Petrucci's solo in "The Root Of All Evil" is excellent, but the album settles down a bit after that with a ballad ("The Answer Lies Within") and the so-called "U2 influenced" "I Walk Beside You." Both are very good songs, but it's songs like "Panic Attack" that hit hard and make an impression. Each member is up to their best on this album, especially keyboardist Jordan Rudess, who is brillaint throughout the album.

Many people have grown quite skeptical of LaBrie's vocal performances lately, but the truth is that he is one of the most gifted singers in music. He proves that beyond doubt on this album, giving some amazing performances on each song. The lyrics are good, but as with most Dream Theater, you wouldn't listen to them for the poetry.

While this album continues Dream Theater's tendancy to find new styles and themes within each new album, I find this album to be somewhat of a combination between "Train Of Thought" and "Falling Into Infinity." It certainly is unique and captures your attention, never letting go until the mind-blowing title track's twenty-four minutes have finally faded away. It's hard to pick a better song than the title track, but other favorites of mine include "Never Enough," "The Root Of All Evil" and "Sacrificed Sons." I had some high expectations for this album and I was not let down. I would consider this album to be a great introduction into Dream Theater if you have not already heard the magic that they can create! If it was stolen, I'd buy it again without a second thought.

Rating: 5/5

Rock on! :-({|=
dealt: faceless,fraudulentzodiac,verve,egbdf,Saturn/Return,bdc3,dk_ouano,gemboy,studiowan,Slingky,PLESIM,asti21,sidlead66,CIERRAE,ungas123,lippy,cocojam,jolam1431,putchazta_46,dannygatton,lynshumalmsteen,GslashG,atomo,uchihadarwin,mzik_man,Diamond_Don&etc

Offline Destroyer Of Senses

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 03:28:07 PM »
This is what Falling Into Infinity should've been if Mike had more control over the material than the record company.  I'm glad that Atlantic gave them a lot of artistic freedom this time around to pursue their musical desires.

I think James gets a bad rap for being the weak link in the band.  Having seen him on more than one occasion over the past 5 years in a live setting, he's improved by leaps and bounds.  He now uses a lot more restraint and chooses his notes really well.  The old material benefits much from this positive development.  I can't wait to hear these new songs when they hit the road for Gigantour.

I've also gotten to tolerate Jordan this time around.  I always had a problem with his over-the-top delivery on the keys.  I missed the choice notes that Kevin Moore used to bring to the group and the various synth tones that Derek Sherinian had to offer.  Jordan's use of lap steel guitar and the Continuum has made him stand out and give him variety in sound this time around.  Michael Brauer's mix gives a new dimension to the band.  I've been so used to Kevin Shirley's defining sound for the band for almost 10 years that it was hard to shake that bias off.  It pays a lot with the new songs though.  Jordan's key sounds, especially his piano, have a lot more warmth now.  John Myung is finally clearly audible instead of buried somewhere in the mix.  The song that most benefits from Michael Brauer's hand is I Walk Beside You.  It's got Coldplay written all over it mainly because it's the same guy that engineered Parachutes to begin with.

Did anyone also notice that the beginning of Octavarium sounds so much like Pink Floyd's Echoes?

Offline orbs

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Dream Theater: Octavarium
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 12:26:36 AM »
DAMN DREAM THEATER JUST CONTINUES TO ROCK, PERIOD.

They simply just wage a war inside my head.  :D