hulika

Author Topic: Confessions of a technophobe  (Read 706 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Confessions of a technophobe
« on: June 11, 2008, 03:22:39 PM »
When I started home recording with a flimsy 200MHz PC in the late '90s, I kind of had a big grin against some folks who spent good money on recording studios who ended up eventually with less-than-ideal results.  Cooledit Pro 1 introduced me to the world of multi-track recording, but the absence of directX and VST sort of taught me how to 'get things right in the tracking'.  But of course, being the hobbyist then, I had karaoke mics, a plain old 12-channel analog mixer (which I still  use to this date) and it was a real pain recording especially when you reach tracking the 20th or more layer.  Enter data storage, you really had huge problems then.  Everything had to be destructively edited before mixing.  No real-time fx tweaking.  Thanks to Cooledit's plugins.  :lol:

But as time passed, the rapid development of computers, and software, had turned the recording world upside down.  Nobody uses tape decks as much as they used to in their heyday.  Audio interfaces of different sorts have sprung up like a plague.  With piracy and torrent available, more and more people are having access to things that old farts have coveted whenever they do pre-prod and demos.  In other words, technology is so cheap now that it scares me.  Quoting Audio Masterclass, "In the 60's, recording was about creativity.  Now, it's about selecting a  preset."

Just when everything from emulations to modulations are so easily done with a few mouse clicks, this is when I started having a thirst for "the older stuff". 

IMO, the ease of recording with today's technology is very dangerous.  Technology can create a disconnect with the music.  I don't know... but that's how I hear it.  How many albums nowadays can sound as pure as The Beatles' Abbey Road?  How many recordings can sound as brilliant as Hotel California? 

I just hope no one misconstrues my post. All I am saying is, sometimes, the convenience of a microwave oven and the fridge can detract a person from cooking real healthy food.