hulika

Author Topic: Laney Amps..  (Read 20116 times)

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Laney Amps..
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2007, 03:02:39 PM »
yan LG35R san mo nabili? sa jb ba? around magkano mo nakuha? lam nyo ba kung kelan biggest sale ng jb usually?

huh?

He said, That LG35R where did you purchase? JB Music Store? How much did it cost you? Do you know when will JB Music Store will have their SALE? :D

Thanks for the translation.  I'm trying to learn, but us old folks have a hard time learning new tricks!

The LG35R I have was purchased at J an B and I think it was around 8.5k.  Very good amp for the price.  Someone told me they are cheaper now.
Be well,

"Doc Rick"  Even when life is a bed or roses, there are still those damn thorns!!

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2007, 03:03:58 PM »
oh i am terribly sorry....i did not know i had to speak (or type) english.... :-D

No need for you to apologize.  I'm the one who should apologize for not speaking tagalog.

Take care  :-)
Be well,

"Doc Rick"  Even when life is a bed or roses, there are still those damn thorns!!

Offline vulcanraven

« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2007, 06:24:41 PM »
Why arent those Hardcore Max models not mentioned??

Anyways I own an LX12

and its sounds like a cat humpin like hell.
" wine is strong. A king is stronger. Women are even stronger, but Truth will conquer all!"

Offline in_the_tent

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2007, 07:31:14 PM »
I have a Laney LV100 and a Peavey Studio Pro 112, both are 65w. i like the Laney clean better than the Peavey, but I like the Peavey drive more. I think the Peavey is a better choice if you will gig with it. It is louder and I think it is built like a tank.
"The Lord is my Song.."

Offline vulcanraven

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2007, 10:23:37 PM »
I am quite Sniping that Peavey studio pro model. I am really not familiar with various amps. I am after something above 35 Watts, loud enough to tag along practices. My incredibly varied repertoire includes, Heavy metal music, Heavy metal Music and Heavy metal music. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But that Laney in the GAS section is really tempting with its price and that Celestion speaker.
" wine is strong. A king is stronger. Women are even stronger, but Truth will conquer all!"

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2007, 07:05:18 AM »
I am quite Sniping that Peavey studio pro model. I am really not familiar with various amps. I am after something above 35 Watts, loud enough to tag along practices. My incredibly varied repertoire includes, Heavy metal music, Heavy metal Music and Heavy metal music. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But that Laney in the GAS section is really tempting with its price and that Celestion speaker.

It was mentioned by one person that he liked the drive on the Peavey Studio Pro.  I'm just the opposite.  To me, the clean channel on the Peavey solid states is "ok".  If you go to www.harmonycentral.com you can read the reviews for both peavey and laney amps.  There's a lot of information there.  Overall, consistently peavey solid state amps just get rated as "ok" - nothing spectacular, just "ok".  Clean channel overwhelmingly gets the better rating and drive channels on peavey solid state amps pretty much all conclude "it sucks". Remember this is coming from me - who was a dedicated peavey person for years. But truthfully I have never liked the drive or the clean on Peavey solid state amps.  Their tube amps have awesome drive, but the solid state Peaveys - I just don't know and the peavey solid states have pretty much a lifeless tone to me.  I'm kinda spoiled and like that British Drive sound.  Peavey solid states are the reason I switched from being a straight guitar into amp person and started using some pedals.  I just never could get that Marshall distortion or that fender clean sound out of a Peavey. Now before I switched to Laney Amps, you could never have drug me away from Peavey tube amps though and I still keep a small peavey tube amp around. But, there is a very big world of difference in the Peavey solid state and peavey tube amps - like night and day.

Some people complain about the drive section on Laney amps.  The drive section is awesome but you do have to experiment.  Laney amps have incredibly versatile drives.  Put the gain on anything from 1 to 7 though and you are only going to get varied states of crunch.  One to three is just a dirty clean sound - much like you would have heard from Hendrix.  Four to seven is more like the rolling stones type of crunch or what you would hear in classic rock.  Howver crank that gain on 8 on a laney amp and something happens - it suddenly just goes over the top.

You might want to remember that what would be considered the very first heavey metal sound, coming from Black Sabbath's Tommy IIomi, was, has been and is still driven by Laney Amps.  Laney solid state amps unlike most other brands - pretty much sound just like their tube amps, not a lot of difference in tone, just a lot of difference in power - for example my 15 watt Laney Tube amp is a hell of a lot louder than my LX65R was but the tone is pretty much the same - maybe a little creamier on the drive, but only to the educated ear.

There is a down side to laney amps though - both tube and solid state.  I sold one before because I couldn't get used to it, but went back to laney.  Laney makes a statement - the harder you drive it, the better it sounds and I have found that to be true.  At low volumes, Laney amps suck.  If you are gonna use them at low volume then get yourself a zoom 606, 707 or G2.1u, so you can have good tone at lower volume.  With that said, to get good tone from a Laney, whether it is tube or solid state, you really have to crank it.  My 15 watt laney tube amp sounds like [gooey brown stuff] on anything lower than 6 for volume.  However once you hit that 6 mark it sounds great - better than any amp I've ever heard, but it's so friggin loud at 6 that the neigbbors want to start calling the barnagay police.  My friend even has one of those Laney LX12's and it's the same way.  Crank that little sucker up and it sounds great, but at low volume it sounds dead.  So I will admit that for practice in a bedroom in an apartment a laney - even a small one might not be the best choice.  However for rehearsals and gigs where you gotta crank an amp loud enough to be heard over an aggressive drummer, you won't be dissapointed. I do use my laneys at home, but that's because I spent years being considerate of my neighbors who complained about the loudness of my amps but still had all night loud parties 3 nights a week.  After awhile I just said screw them and now I blast those suckers out of their bedrooms.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 09:15:20 AM by ussfdoc »
Be well,

Offline Shekoski

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2007, 11:31:57 AM »
Haha...nice story, doc. I'm actually considering either a Peavey Valveking or Laney LC30 for my next(technically, 1st) amp. What do you think is the better amp? :-D

Offline vulcanraven

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2007, 10:28:58 AM »
  After awhile I just said screw them and now I blast those suckers out of their bedrooms.

Bwahahaha!

Much like Marty from Back to Future when he Cranked up that Uber Amp Doc made.

Hmmmm.

Offline ito_ogami4

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2007, 11:10:42 AM »
Meron ako for sale na LANEY hcm 65r rever 12inch celestion!!
ito details and pics..

http://www.freewebs.com/guitarmusiczone/

tnx..

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2007, 03:38:48 PM »
So...

I was at the neighborhood music store this morning to satisfy my gear lust.  I was ready to plunk down at least $800 on an amp.  I had a choice between the LC-30II and the VC30-212. 

I ended up with this (and had to stop by the hardware store to pick up a hand-cart just so I won't give myself a hernia lugging this to my front door).  Retailing at $864 flat, it was hard to resist:

« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 04:47:02 PM by Deadwing »

Offline Shekoski

• Veteran Member
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2007, 09:24:32 PM »
So...

I was at the neighborhood music store this morning to satisfy my gear lust.  I was ready to plunk down at least $800 on an amp.  I had a choice between the LC-30II and the VC30-212. 

I ended up with this (and had to stop by the hardware store to pick up a hand-cart just so I won't give myself a hernia lugging this to my front door).  Retailing at $864 flat, it was hard to resist:

Nice! That's the VC30-212 im guessing. I'm looking at it's smaller cousin myself. :-D

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2007, 09:36:50 PM »
holy [gooey brown stuff] mahn, i wish i was rich.  :-(

Offline bahaw

« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2007, 11:46:56 PM »
So...

ok to, kamosta nmn? planning to get the vc30-112 e,

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2007, 12:13:53 AM »

ok to, kamosta nmn? planning to get the vc30-112 e,

Medyo meron na akong kati na tumugtog ng classic rock.  Galeng ng reverb...lalo na sa Bright setting n'ya.  Bilib ako sa clean tone ng amp na 'to.  you can really hear each note you hit.  It's merciless if you're messy with your guitar technique.  Yung Drive section n'ya na-impress ako.  Sa low setting pa lang, makuha mo na ang Rolling Stones na tone.  I'll take it through it's paces this Tuesday when I've got the day off from work and let you know what else I've found out about it.

This also means I need to get an attenuator next (maybe a Weber Minimass since a THD hotplate may be just too much for me?) since I need to rein in this amp's power and not lose my apartment lease at the same time  :-D

Offline Jecster25

« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2007, 12:57:42 PM »
Boys, I will put my money on the LANEY amps than any other in the market. Bang for the buck you cant go wrong. The tube amps in JB Music are a killer. I saw Kiko Francis Rayes try it out and he was very happy with the amp. Dont go for the amps because they are more popular, buy the gear and not the brand.

Offline erniebong

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2007, 02:14:43 PM »
SS Laneys suck bigtime

Really sir?Wow i didn`t know that,you should tell that to Paul Gilbert and Mattias Eklundh. :-D

+1000 yes, if im paul guilbert why would i assoiciate my name with such crappy gear? di lang siguro talaga trip ni Mr Teves. in fact mas malakas na benta ng laney kesa marshalls e, and they are much more durable. mas transparent naman tumunog mga laney kesa sa marshall and peavey,

Offline erniebong

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2007, 02:26:35 PM »
SS Laneys suck bigtime

Really?

Well, I'm kinda new at this amp and guitar playin thing as I've only been doing it for about 45 years now.  I went through Fender and Marshall amps, switched to VOX and used them for a long time and then I became a die hard Peavey Amp fan whether tube or solid state.  Six months ago I switched to Laney.

I've got two Laney Amps.  One is solid state, an LG35R and the other is all tube, being a VC15.  Let's talk solid state first.

First of all, I'm not really a solid state fan.  However for practice - if you practice a LOT that is, a solid state can save you a bunch of money on tubes and other maintenance worries.  I mean it's pretty worry free.  Fender, Marshall and Peavey solid state amps suck - extremely bad.  Fender solid state amps sound like toys - harsh as hell, none of that piano or bell type tone you get from the tube amps.  I've owned just about every Fender solid state amp there is and most of the tube amps too - which are good.

Marshall solid state amps also suck.  The MG10 or the MG15RCD are the best two, with the MG10 having the most flexible gain control for the overdrive channel.  However the MG15RCD has the same problem as the rest of the MG series in that you can't get "just a little dirt" without a pedal and if you crank the clean channel it breaks up in a NOT very good way. They suck as far as their dependability goes too.

Peavey solid state amps sound the worse of all solid state amps to me and that's coming from someone who used Peavey amps exclusively for almost 20 years.  The clean channels are lifeless and the lead channel sounds worse than - for lack of a better word - crap.  I've got a blazer 158 that BAMF modified that sounds ok, but it was nothing but pure torture on the ears before that.

VOX Solid state amps sound pretty good.  In fact, a VOX Pathfinder 15R is hard to beat.

Now we are at Laney solid state amps.  My LG35R has a VERY good, pristine, chimey clean channel that breaks up nicely to a mild crunch if you crank it.  The crunch channel is the most versatile I've ever seen.  You can go from a very mild crunch - that Jimi Hendrix dirty clean sound to metal just by turning that gain control.  I've not seen any solid state amps, except a Carvin that was that versatile.  At 30 watts, it is more than loud enough for home or a small gig.

Fender, Marshall, Peavey and VOX tube amps are great.  No complaints there.  However I found the Laney VC15 to be one of the most versatile low watt, class A tube amps I've ever played.  Great clean channel, great overdrive channel.  Yeah - if you do metal you will need a pedal, but for blues, blues rock and hard rock it is one kick ass little amp.

amen, very general kasi tayo mag comment e, heres one na claro

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2007, 01:41:09 AM »
Boys, I will put my money on the LANEY amps than any other in the market. Bang for the buck you cant go wrong.

I think a subconscious influence on my amp purchase was seeing Boz Boorer ripping it up with Morrissey onstage a few weeks ago.  He drove that VC30 to it's limits when the band played You're Going To Need Someone On Your Side and even wailed bigtime on his guitar solo spot in the song.

Anyway, I tried plugging my Boss Metal Core pedal into my signal chain and found the distortion to be really harsh on the treble side.  It's definitely better to use a dropped tuned guitar combo for that pedal.  I'll see how it plays with my TS9 next.  Of course, I'll have to look for some time this weekend to do that.

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2007, 06:44:06 AM »
Medyo meron na akong kati na tumugtog ng classic rock.  Galeng ng reverb...lalo na sa Bright setting n'ya.  Bilib ako sa clean tone ng amp na 'to.  you can really hear each note you hit.  It's merciless if you're messy with your guitar technique.  Yung Drive section n'ya na-impress ako.  Sa low setting pa lang, makuha mo na ang Rolling Stones na tone.  I'll take it through it's paces this Tuesday when I've got the day off from work and let you know what else I've found out about it.
good choice mehn! unbeatable value if you play mostly in the clean to medium dirt spectrum. i almost never use the drive channel on the amp. it does low to light crunch nicely though. the clean side is definitely the star. good solid tone to build from and i just add dirt pedals (1 OD, 1 distortion) from there.

i've been gigging with VC30s for almost a year now. dati with my 1x12, now with a 2x12.

yung trolley would definitely be a good investment. your back will love you long time. :lol:

Offline Zazza

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2007, 07:26:11 AM »
I went to JB and PP Megamall branch yesterday canvassing for an amp for home/practice use only, i came across the Line 6 spider III 15w and the Laney LG20R, i tried both and liked the Laney more than the Line 6, the lotsa knobs with the spider was just too much for me as i wanted more simplicity, and the Laney for me got tops, mura pa. I liked her clean channel, perfect for my taste. Currently i own a Gorilla 10w amp, but it's starting to complain for retirement :-D i also tried the Marshalls MG15 and the new Orange Crush (chinese made) but i'm inclined into getting the Laney as my homebase amp.

Of course i'll always dream of The Mesa Boogie, only if i was rich :-D that's why as a footnote, what sucks are not those SS, but my wallet :mrgreen:

The Cranberrie's "dreams" is a rip off of Sampaguita's "Laguna".....

Offline redballs17

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2007, 09:15:13 AM »
MAy LX12 nga ko sa kwarto, solb nako sa tunog....
 :-D

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2007, 11:49:04 PM »
any comments on the Laney LA65C Acoustic Amp?   :-)
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2007, 05:25:27 AM »
I've been playing now for over 45 years.  I've gone through every amp that there is.  Although I use effects occasionally, I am still pretty much a guitar into amp type person.  For years I used VOX AC30's for gigs.  Great amps but expensive as hell to maintain.  I still think the VOX amp rules, regardless of the style of music.  For years I also used a Marshall Plexi as well as a JCM 800.  On high gain it was excellent, but I couldn't get the small amount of dirt that I wanted on some songs.  Then for another 10 or so years, I played nothing but Peavey tube amps and they were also great.  I have no complaints about the Peavey's except that it just didn't get the tone I was quite looking for - almost but not quite there.  About two years ago, I switched to Laney Amps.  At first I bought the LX65 and it was great as long as you played it loud.  It had one of the most flexible overdrives I had ever played - being capable of playing with such a little dirt that it sounded almost clean - ala Hendrix or over the top metal when the gain was cranked all the way.  When I had to stop gigging because of my health, I sold it and used a Peavey Valveking for awhile then I got myself a Laney LG35R.  The clean channel is beautiful on this amp and the gain is just as flexible as the LX65R was.  However, regardless of what kind of amp you are playing, except maybe Behringer (that's another story) it still sounded unmistakingly solid state.  So I took that Laney LG35R to a friend who is an engineer that used to work for Behringer in Germany and he converted it to an all tube amp.  He used two 12ax7's for the preamp and 2 EL83's for the power section.  He put it back together where all the controls including the overdrive and reverb worked exactly as they did before he changed it.  The difference is incredible.  The clean is still clean - but much warmer.  The overdrive is to die for and still just as flexible.  At 3 or 4 on the overdrive, you can barely tell it is not on the clean channel.  Go to 7 and it has that unmistakable british overdrive sound to it and go to 10 and it would perk up Tommy Iommi or Paul Gilbert's ears.  I personally think any solid state amp sucks.  I bought a Behringer GMX 210 and it was other than a VOX Pathfinder the best sounding solid state amp I had ever heard and at first I couldn't tell the difference.  After awhile though, I found myself playing through the Laney all the time.  The result?  The Behringer GMX 210 now has six 12ax7's in it and six EL84's making it about a 100 watt monster.  Again, my friend put the amp back together where everything works like it did before the change including the modeling effects.
Be well,

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2013, 11:09:04 PM »
No one has bought a Laney amp in the last 6 years?!?   :-o

Just got myself a Laney LC50 Series 3 (the ones equipped with EL34s) a week ago after being pleasantly surprised with how the clean channel sounded.  I've been targeting for a Fender but when I tried the LC, I was surprised with the cleans it gave. That, plus the gain it has that no Fender (IMO, YMMV) can give (It gave me my old Marshall spaghetti tone back!) made me buy one without hesitation. The amp sounded good enough that it was used the same night in a gig at Alphonse Ortigas.

Offline ryechua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2013, 11:58:45 PM »
No one has bought a Laney amp in the last 6 years?!?   :-o

Just got myself a Laney LC50 Series 3 (the ones equipped with EL34s) a week ago after being pleasantly surprised with how the clean channel sounded.  I've been targeting for a Fender but when I tried the LC, I was surprised with the cleans it gave. That, plus the gain it has that no Fender (IMO, YMMV) can give (It gave me my old Marshall spaghetti tone back!) made me buy one without hesitation. The amp sounded good enough that it was used the same night in a gig at Alphonse Ortigas.

they did... there's a "CUB" thread somewhere. as for me, i bought an LC30-II 2 years ago.

doh!!!