hulika

Author Topic: Zendrive OD Pedal Thread w/ sounclips & pics.  (Read 17581 times)

Offline quaternotetriplet

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Zendrive OD Pedal Thread w/ sounclips & pics.
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2008, 07:58:48 AM »
kay sir jim ka magpagawa.
h

Offline Decay. Sustain. Release.

« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2008, 05:32:27 PM »
kay sir jim ka magpagawa.

salamat sa suggestion.. nakasubok na din kasi ako ng mga zendrive clone, kaso nung nasubukan ko ang totoong zendrive iba talaga siya IMHO.  :evil: :-D

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2008, 06:20:59 PM »
check out the soundclip of the Zendrive Special (or SE)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=775582&songID=7130256

note the wood outer casing and the engraved lettering

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=474576

« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2008, 06:46:20 PM »
check out the soundclip of the Zendrive Special (or SE)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=775582&songID=7130256

note the wood outer casing and the engraved lettering

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=474576

ayos to men!

it does sound smoother than the zen 1..pero personally mejo hanap ko yung konting grit ng zen1 compared sa zen SE.. mas gusto ko din yung metal enclosure ng zen 1 pang gig. tska nung nakasubok ako ng zen 1,tuwang tuwa ako sa tone..just my 2 cents.  :-D

at mukang mas matagal pa ang waiting ng zen SE hehe.pero mukang worth it kasi enclosure pa lang,pang "collector" na kagad dating niya.  :-)

mukang ok din yung bagong ditortion pedal ni alf..

http://www.hermidaaudio.com/products.html

Offline jmorrero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2008, 10:27:31 PM »
salamat sa suggestion.. nakasubok na din kasi ako ng mga zendrive clone, kaso nung nasubukan ko ang totoong zendrive iba talaga siya IMHO.  :evil: :-D
Nakagamit din ako ng zendrive... kung may pambili ako, bibibli din ako...

Dzound and zendrive
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 10:31:29 PM by jmorrero »

« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2008, 09:11:22 PM »
Madali lang mag order, just email Alf Hermida. After 5 days I received his reply

kagad, and after 9 days the pedal was instantly delivered to my uncle's place in

CA. Just a total of 2 weeks waiting time for me, really thankful and blessed.  :-)

Just email him at ahermida@hermidaaudio.com. Happy Holidays!

ayos ser,ang swerte niyo ah..2 weeks lang sayo!nabasa ko sa iba kasi buwan pa bago dumating.ma email nga at sana swertihin din.salamat sa info!

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2008, 02:16:25 AM »

Dzound and zendrive

magkano ba zendrive dyan?
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2008, 12:06:31 PM »
Lately I was unfortunate enough to have been told off  that I do not know anything at all about the dumble sound which I acknowldege because:

1) I have never owned a real dumble in my life.  This person who told me off owned around 6 of them.
2) I do not know which particular dumble amp I was talking about.  All dumbles were so different and there were plenty of them that sounded bad.
3) Dumbles were NOT known for their lead channel, in fact the lead channels sounded like crap.
4) Dumbles are known for sounding good when their clean channels are pushed by the FET boost and gain set at around 12 o clock and so many other particular settings -- power section had a lot to do with it.

The closest that I experienced a dumble was actually testing a Bruno Super 100, Two Rock Custom Reverb and Two Rock Opal at Ultrasound New York.  And I have to say that they do not at all sound like pedals and that the Zendrive for all its fame can not even approximate the feel of these imperfect dumble clones I tested.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2008, 12:49:03 PM »
Lately I was unfortunate enough to have been told off  that I do not know anything at all about the dumble sound which I acknowldege because:

1) I have never owned a real dumble in my life.  This person who told me off owned around 6 of them.
2) I do not know which particular dumble amp I was talking about.  All dumbles were so different and there were plenty of them that sounded bad.
3) Dumbles were NOT known for their lead channel, in fact the lead channels sounded like crap.
4) Dumbles are known for sounding good when their clean channels are pushed by the FET boost and gain set at around 12 o clock and so many other particular settings -- power section had a lot to do with it.

The closest that I experienced a dumble was actually testing a Bruno Super 100, Two Rock Custom Reverb and Two Rock Opal at Ultrasound New York.  And I have to say that they do not at all sound like pedals and that the Zendrive for all its fame can not even approximate the feel of these imperfect dumble clones I tested.

i'm with you there, alex. i dont think any pedal for the matter can spot on sound like a dumble. perhaps emulate some easily heard characteristics like eq, but texture-wise and touch sensitivity, definitely not. those some folks have said that the ethos is about as good as it gets for a pedal of that pedigree.

i havent played a dumble, but i can hear the harmonic complexity in the music that i listen to. but when it comes to pedals, as you called the two rocks and brunos as "imperfect", the other dilemna is... who's dumble? as much as i love rf's non-hrm era tone, larry's hrm tone, i find myself enjoying sonny landreths grittier sound.

alex, did you get to try that "holy grail" dumble at ultrasound? there's been alot of talk about that.
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2008, 05:45:29 PM »
IMHO, The zendrive pedal is not a Dumble pedal. Its really Larry Carlton and Robben Ford in a box. It just so happens that these guys were using Dumbles. Anybody will sound different through a Dumble....just like any other amp.....that explains Firemodels experience.

Face it, we are attracted to that elusive RF and LC sound. I was attracted to LC then RF's tone. I researched and found out that both of em were using Dumbles. Because, I can't afford to get one, I see amp mfg who are looking for that LC and RF sound too and I found Brownote. Hermida invented the zendrive with RFs and LCs tone in his head. So it is right to say, its really a LC and RF pedal tone in a box but not a Dumble.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2008, 06:10:56 PM »
IMHO, The zendrive pedal is not a Dumble pedal. Its really Larry Carlton and Robben Ford in a box. It just so happens that these guys were using Dumbles. Anybody will sound different through a Dumble....just like any other amp.....that explains Firemodels experience.

Face it, we are attracted to that elusive RF and LC sound. I was attracted to LC then RF's tone. I researched and found out that both of em were using Dumbles. Because, I can't afford to get one, I see amp mfg who are looking for that LC and RF sound too and I found Brownote. Hermida invented the zendrive with RFs and LCs tone in his head. So it is right to say, its really a LC and RF pedal tone in a box but not a Dumble. Robben Ford one time played without his Dumble and sounded like he was using his Dumble. Guess what he was using? yes... a zendrive plugged into a Twin amp.

I have a friend ,Chuck, jazz guitarist extraordinaire who loves that tone too and you can hear it in his music. Like me, his a Dlite owner. but he uses a Made in CHIna Hofner 335 clone and can sound like LC's tone.

Watch and listen.....

In this case jmorrerro is so fond of Brad Paisley and Brad is using a zendrive.
His pedal is really a Brad Paisley tone in a box.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2008, 12:36:17 AM »

Face it, we are attracted to that elusive RF and LC sound. I was attracted to LC then RF's tone. I researched and found out that both of em were using Dumbles. Because, I can't afford to get one, I see amp mfg who are looking for that LC and RF sound too and I found Brownote. Hermida invented the zendrive with RFs and LCs tone in his head. So it is right to say, its really a LC and RF pedal tone in a box but not a Dumble. Robben Ford one time played without his Dumble and sounded like he was using his Dumble. Guess what he was using? yes... a zendrive plugged into a Twin amp.

I have a friend ,Chuck, jazz guitarist extraordinaire who loves that tone too and you can hear it in his music. Like me, his a Dlite owner. but he uses a Made in CHIna Hofner 335 clone and can sound like LC's tone.

Watch and listen.....

In this case jmorrerro is so fond of Brad Paisley and Brad is using a zendrive.
His pedal is really a Brad Paisley tone in a box.

on that note (with my penchant for nerdy trivia added just coz i'm in the mood to type despite the lingering flu)... rf was using a banzai fireball before hermida handed him an early 3 knob zendrive. it evolved into the 4 knob version that has gathered popularity now. i wish i had pulled the trigger when the first version came out (i nearly did but was reluctant! damn reluctance!) as rf carries those two with him sometimes, despite the changes alf has made in the circuit. rf has also been spotted recently using an ulbrick 12axe in his rig, no zen in sight. though i recently read that he was using the zen as a booster for his ods. damn, like a dumble ods needs one! but who can complain?  :-D

like us commoners, he too changes his flavor once in a blue moon. but yes phil, when he does the euro tours and doesnt want to haul his ods's, i read that he rents red knob twins, jumpers them and pummels the input with the zen. the zen is a phenomenal pedal, and the clones are enough evidence of its sonic impact :-)

larry at one stage had a duo of keeley modded boss bd-2's. i have an old dvd where he was even playing a solid state yamaha amp. still amazing!

there were reports about his ods's blowing up quite a few times recently and at some gigs, one with robben, and LC used a bludotone amp as a back up.

well before the dumble episode for these two, they were fender amp boys, (steeley dan era up to the earlt 80's for LC and "the inside story / yellow jackets" for RF). we're at wavelength about how these guys seemingly carry the sound with them no matter what scenario or period.

while i do agree with you at some point that the zen is a LC/RC pedal in a box (though brad paisley, scott lerner and a whole heap of folks use one, including our very own joey puyat who either plugs into that, a gsr or back to his trusty rat, among the bevy of pedals he owns) i dont think we can seperate the dumble entity from the pedal's conception and inspiration, its the house the pedal was built upon. just my opinion  :wink:

nearly dove for the SE too the other night, btw, but i regained my senses coz i figured i do have better things to throw my hard earned moolah at. i've opted for something alittle below the radar, but equally as righteous based on reports...

i can only imagine how a real ods would feel and react to touch. phil, do find the time to give one a shot if you can, you have much better access there, and based on what i have heard on your clips and send us a report  :-) i know you have a brownote, i'm sure its righteous, yet i'm sure that for the heck of the experience you must be itching to feel its big mama :wink:

Ron Kirn

Offline mugen

« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2008, 12:40:11 AM »
pa O.T. po..

Sir Phil baka heto Type nyo clone nga lang..

DIY Dumble Build #124

Guts

back to topic ulit..

Zendrive next project.. :-D

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2008, 06:12:14 AM »
i'm with you there, alex. i dont think any pedal for the matter can spot on sound like a dumble. perhaps emulate some easily heard characteristics like eq, but texture-wise and touch sensitivity, definitely not. those some folks have said that the ethos is about as good as it gets for a pedal of that pedigree.

i havent played a dumble, but i can hear the harmonic complexity in the music that i listen to. but when it comes to pedals, as you called the two rocks and brunos as "imperfect", the other dilemna is... who's dumble? as much as i love rf's non-hrm era tone, larry's hrm tone, i find myself enjoying sonny landreths grittier sound.

alex, did you get to try that "holy grail" dumble at ultrasound? there's been alot of talk about that.

UNFORTUNATELY IT WAS LOCKED UP.  MY PROBLEM WAS I WENT THERE ON A SATURDAY WHEN KEN AND GENE WERE OUT SO... THE CLERK JUST LET ME IN AND TRY THE AMPS ALL BY MYSELF... IMAGINE BEING LOCKED UP IN THE STUDIO ALL BY YOURSELF WITH ALL THESE WONDERFUL AMPS WITH SOME KIND OF SWITCHER ALL HOOKED UP TO 4X12S... SIMPLY AMAZING AND YOU WILL NEVER LOOK AT PEDALS WITH THE SAME RESPECT AGAIN

Offline markflo

« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2008, 08:56:05 AM »
Dumble shmumble...gimme some TWEED!
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2008, 10:02:43 AM »
Dumble shmumble...gimme some TWEED!
tweeds are the shiznits too.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2008, 10:17:57 AM »
on that note (with my penchant for nerdy trivia added just coz i'm in the mood to type despite the lingering flu)... rf was using a banzai fireball before hermida handed him an early 3 knob zendrive. it evolved into the 4 knob version that has gathered popularity now. i wish i had pulled the trigger when the first version came out (i nearly did but was reluctant! damn reluctance!) as rf carries those two with him sometimes, despite the changes alf has made in the circuit. rf has also been spotted recently using an ulbrick 12axe in his rig, no zen in sight. though i recently read that he was using the zen as a booster for his ods. damn, like a dumble ods needs one! but who can complain?  :-D

these pics came from Hermida's site check out "Tampa Blues Festival 2006"
w/ Robben Ford.

volume pedal-wah-zendrive
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 10:19:04 AM by Phil »

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2008, 08:44:32 PM »

awww man, thats like being put in a candy store and being 3 feet short of reaching for the goodies while the owner's away  :| hopefully should you find yourself there again you'd be able to get your fingers on the stuff.

here's another pic of ford's "pedalboard". kinda makes mine, and alot of other's here look pretty over self-indulgent  :-D

Another unlikely user appears to be... Guthrie Govan!

Vince Gil has one too..

And one of my all time faves, Brent Mason, with a pedalboard Brian Wampler made for him (zen is no.9)

Carlos Santana's using a Zendrive also, cant find a pic of his board. methinks there's more to teh boxis dan blu jazz...country players seem to be oddly attracted to it too. You guys are in very very good company!

Ron Kirn

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2008, 01:34:35 PM »
wow! wow talaga  :lol:

ira cruz is using a zendrive2, may image sa isang thread  :lol:

« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2008, 09:43:19 PM »

Dzound and zendrive

salamat para dito ser,sayang lang madilim lumalabas sa monitor ko..di ko tuloy makita settings ng pedals huhuhuhu

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2008, 10:01:34 PM »
Nice photos Anton! Brent Mason's pedal board is the bomb! I didn't know even Carlos Santana has one. Would love to see his pedal board (already tried googling but no luck as well!)

IMHO, the Zendrive is an awesome pedal. Some have mentioned it's just a "hype" but I truly enjoy the tones i get outta this box whether it's dumble-in-a-box or what not. This is definitely one of those pedals that was worth every penny and not just a hype or overrated.. Well that's just me. Really love my zendrive and it'll definitely be a permanent resident on my board.  :-)

No worries man! I reckon that Brent Mason's pedigree is enough to justify his pedalboard of paradise  :-D

The guys that feel that the zen is hyped seem to have misunderstood its virtues, or have a total different taste. Different strokes for different folks  :-)

I feel that the zen just may be the overdrive of the 21st century, its influence on our modern sonic soundscape is huge. Its a modern classic! Many folks try to discredit it by saying that its merely another tubescreamer variant coz they've seen the schematics... I just brush them off. the tone speaks for itself  :wink:

you guys may think i'm weird speaking highly about something i dont possess, but i've driven some around the block a few times and love it's drive. yet there's another dumble-ish sound i hear in my head... but who knows? I may give in one day and shoot hermida an email... :-D konti pa... heheheheh

oh! I just found this... fave of mine and phil's, carl verheyen's board

« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 09:40:12 AM by psychic_sushi »

Ron Kirn

Offline jmorrero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2008, 10:12:07 PM »
awww man, thats like being put in a candy store and being 3 feet short of reaching for the goodies while the owner's away  :| hopefully should you find yourself there again you'd be able to get your fingers on the stuff.

here's another pic of ford's "pedalboard". kinda makes mine, and alot of other's here look pretty over self-indulgent  :-D

Another unlikely user appears to be... Guthrie Govan!

Vince Gil has one too..

And one of my all time faves, Brent Mason, with a pedalboard Brian Wampler made for him (zen is no.9)

Carlos Santana's using a Zendrive also, cant find a pic of his board. methinks there's more to teh boxis dan blu jazz...country players seem to be oddly attracted to it too. You guys are in very very good company!

bro pansinin mo yung settings ng zen... mukhang yan ang settings nya pagnakahumbucker sya.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2008, 01:43:34 AM »
Here's one awesome example of what a zendrive can do.

Offline leech

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2008, 09:14:17 AM »
Here's one awesome example of what a zendrive can do.

Zendrive and fender amps = killer combo! Nice! :-)
...the strong take from the weak...but the wise take from the strong...

Offline ibanezman

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »
mismo

Zendrive and fender amps = killer combo! Nice! :-)