hulika

Author Topic: "Good" solid state amps?  (Read 7543 times)

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: "Good" solid state amps?
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2012, 09:06:50 AM »
I do agree with the Yamaha JX series. They have quite a big headroom. Never tried Roland JC though but the Cube60 and 90 are quite good as well.
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 06:22:08 PM »
Ace Tone eventually became Roland.

Marami pang available niyan dito... Sa Hortaleza at HBC.  Teka was that ACETONE you are talking of?

Offline Super BisDak

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2012, 07:15:21 PM »
If you can find a Peavey Studio Pro (red stripe version) give it a shot.
dealt: faceless,fraudulentzodiac,verve,egbdf,Saturn/Return,bdc3,dk_ouano,gemboy,studiowan,Slingky,PLESIM,asti21,sidlead66,CIERRAE,ungas123,lippy,cocojam,jolam1431,putchazta_46,dannygatton,lynshumalmsteen,GslashG,atomo,uchihadarwin,mzik_man,Diamond_Don&etc

Offline wilay

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2012, 08:46:42 PM »
I don't use amp dirt naman and yeah those Laneys are okay.

UY WHO HAS A BLUES CUBE?

Me!

That's my Blues Cube 60. It has that torn speaker cloth and a broken Presence knob, and it's really heavy, forcing me to buy a stroller so I could take it to jams and gigs. But occasionally I'd plug my '06 Std Strat straight into it, and I'd remember why I bought it in the first place--the tone. I don't have much to compare it to since I've only tried a handful of amps in the past, but I like to think I can tell good tone when I hear it--and I think this amp has it.

My preferred subchannel on the clean channel (Crunch at 1) sounds warmer than Fender clean, but not so much so as to be muddy. The drive channel reminds me of a Marshall, and it's quite touch-sensitive! You can strum lightly and have a chord ring out cleanly one second, and then bash on the strings and have an angry power chord jump out at you the next.

Highly recommended :-D I think freedomtom still has one (I got this one from him).

(Off-topic: Does anyone think my Blues Cube's broken Presence knob has a big and detrimental effect on its tone? I've been wondering for a few months whether I should get it fixed and have even better tone than what it already has.)
Rig: So Cal/SDXM > Mark V 25 > EVM12L > \m/
References: norielpogi, funkista, markv, deltaslim, micsis, freedomtom, bluz_boi, ayam_ayam, ajct35, larry.galang, tedi, Arie Hipolito, oist, xelalien, rockarolla, caloi, xky, moncseb. Too many to fit

Offline keida

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2012, 09:55:36 PM »
peavey bandit, new or old version. or if you could find a studio pro, sulit.
need a photographer? check my work: http://xkeidax.deviantart.com http://flickr.com/photos/xkeidax
-to see with eyes unclouded by hate -

Offline manilacoke3

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2012, 10:56:45 PM »
Vox Pathfinders - solid state, tubey feel and did I say loud? Sadly they don't have bigger counterparts for these.
1993 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
1996 Squier Pro Tone Series Fat Strat MIK
2011 Epiphone '59 ES-335 Limited Ed. CS

Offline maruzen

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2012, 11:14:12 PM »
I would say a Jazz Chorus 120. Really great cleans :)

Haven't used a lot of solid states though. Only a Peavey Bandit, Peavey Express, and a Peavey Vypyr.

And I guess the Vypyr doesn't count as it is a modelling amp.

___

Oops, forgot to mention the Marshall Valvestates. The 8020 is a great practice amp, even just for the brutal crunch :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:17:33 PM by maruzen »
FS: Effects Pedals, Blackstar HT5-R - http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=302374.0

Offline SeafoodPancake

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2012, 07:15:05 PM »
Oops, forgot to mention the Marshall Valvestates. The 8020 is a great practice amp, even just for the brutal crunch :)

+1 for the Valvestate Series.
"got milk?" ,"got GAS?"

Offline IncX

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2012, 09:41:17 PM »
i think these amps are good because they take pedals well:

-marshall valvestate 20 watts
-peavey bandit

downside? volume shortage!

then these amps:

-B52 LG 2x12 (100 watts) = i wonder if you remember this amp cause we used it on a gig
-Line 6 spider 2x12 (150 watts)

downside? if you are going to commit to that kinda weight and volume, might as well get a 30 watt Fender tube amp, cause tube amps sound better, unless you are playing high gain metal.

Offline starkiller

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2012, 09:17:09 AM »
i can vouch for the roland cube80x and marshall 8020.

the roland cube 80x is very versatile.  the clean channel, it has lots of headroom (check out the youtube videos that compares the 80x to the ZT Club) and has extended bandwidth. almost hi-fi bandwidth actually, so it also amplifies acoustics and organs well.  i hav't tried it for bass guitar but it can probably do well too. the clean channel also takes pedals very well.  the modelled lead channels sound good as well; but IMHO only sounds good when used stand-alone... the lead channels sound compressed if used with gain pedals. the biggest bonus for me is that i sometimes use the amp as a make-shift PA system... that is, have an external device playing tunes through the AUX-IN, then you can plan or sing-along using the regular isntrument-in.

the 8020 on the other hand, is just as what the others have said.  ok on the clean channel, and great on the overdrive channel.  but you need to mic it in order to keep up with a drummer live.  also, it has typical mashall bandwidth (limited bandwidth, and middy sound), so its only great for guitars or perhaps harmonica.  so naiba ang strengths niya sa roland... in fact i consider it as the anti-thesis of the roland.

overall, i tend to appreciate the roland more because of its verstility. IMHO, if you want a dedicated guitar amp whose strengths are better suited for guitar only, then its better to get a tube amp... especially that good low-priced chinese-made tube amps are now available.

so just to share, here are the qualities that a look for nowadays in a good versatile solid-state amp:
- big clean headroom
- wide bandwidth (capable of sounding good with a range of instruments)
- connectivity options for aux-in and recording/headphone-out.
- relatively lightweight (compared to tube combos)
- the quality of modelling and effects are not deal-breakers for me. i'd rather that it be good on the above characteristics to promote versatility.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 10:34:17 AM by starkiller »

Offline sheepsmellslikeseashells

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2012, 10:18:08 AM »
I don't use amp dirt naman and yeah those Laneys are okay.

UY WHO HAS A BLUES CUBE?

Used to... :-)

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2012, 10:41:05 AM »
Try the Laney LX series. Am currently using their half stack now and it's a killer!
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline wilay

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2012, 11:00:23 AM »
Rig: So Cal/SDXM > Mark V 25 > EVM12L > \m/
References: norielpogi, funkista, markv, deltaslim, micsis, freedomtom, bluz_boi, ayam_ayam, ajct35, larry.galang, tedi, Arie Hipolito, oist, xelalien, rockarolla, caloi, xky, moncseb. Too many to fit

Offline sheepsmellslikeseashells

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2012, 12:02:45 PM »
Wow dalawa! BC-60 pareho? San na napunta?

Binenta ko na last year pa bago ako ikasal, bro. Medyo nakakahinayang nga lang at sila yung mga pinaka-unang nabili nang mangailangan ako para sa mga bayarin ko para sa kaganapang iyon. ...anyway, I still have my Roland JC-120 and it's the only amp combo that i'm able to save since.

As far as this thread is concerned, Roland amps will always be my best bet, so far. In fact, I'd like to believe that you'll never go wrong with Rolands especially with the 70's/80's models. Some of the other earlier models i had were also the Cube40, Cube60 (orange & beige), and the Spirit30 bass amp.

On a side note, i really liked the drive channel of the Cube40. Saktong-sakto lang, kumbaga. Believe or not, I've A/B'd it with a Barber Direct Drive and i'm surprised that they both sound & respond quite identical to each other. So, my guess is, Barber may have based the Direct Drive from a Roland amp's drive circuitry.

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2012, 01:22:09 PM »
Has anyone ever played through a Sunn? I'm trying to look for some old Sunn amps since they're loud and sound good. Particularly the Sunn Betas.
Offset guitars for life.

Offline GNOB29

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2012, 02:23:27 PM »
Ayos tong thread na ito. Ang next gas ko is planning a decent and good amp na pangkwarto plus puede bitbitin kapag duda ka sa gamit ng bar...

nahihiwagaan lang ako sa ZT Lunch Box gusto ko makita at makarinig ng actual...

planning to get a peavey may nagamit ako nyan at ganda ng tunog makikita ko ulet at magagamit this end of October maitatanong ko na kung ano model un...  :wave:
i already dispose here: Fender Strat 50th Anniversary Made in U.S, Fender Strat MIJ Reverse Headstock, Epiphone Firebird, Godin Acoustic, Octave OC2, XBOX 360.

My Gear: Hamer Vector, Fender Strat 57ri, Warlock and my Pedalboard...

Offline rolexm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2012, 10:16:16 PM »
Yamaha jx
Club 12
studio pro112 old version
jc120

Saturn/Return

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2012, 10:31:41 PM »

Offline appleseed

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2012, 03:06:53 PM »
now im feeling regretful. I knew the cleans were great. what was I thinking.  :|