hulika

Author Topic: DIY boutique amps, pedals, mod kits, proto-type circuits, etc - Post them here!  (Read 1804050 times)

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
Hi pedal gurus. Di ko alam kung saan magpopost ng tanong ko e. I've got an Ibanez Weeping Demon here. Ok naman tunog, kasing character ng mga Morley ko. Pero bitin lang yung boost niya at 5db lang at full. My morleys have 20db clean boosts. Yung dunlop dime may 15db gain boost.

So ang tanong ay, can I mod this Weeping demon to have 20db boost instead of 5db? At ano components kailangan ko? Kaya ko lang ba mag isa tong mod na ito considering I have (I think) decent soldering skills? 

Thanks in advance.

Offline modmod

• Veteran Member
Noob question here, been quite away from electronics for quite a while. OK lang gumamit ng mga components (resistors, capacitors, diodes, etc) from Alexan or Deeco, compared to those from epektos? Would it affect the tone of the pedal, planning on making some pedals myself :)
Pwede bro pagkakaiba lang naman nila yung tolerance.Last time nakabili ako ng cap .1 box metal film P5@.Sa resistor tolerance lang naman pagkakaiba nila.IMO may tone difference lang sa transistor and IC.

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
Hi pedal gurus. Di ko alam kung saan magpopost ng tanong ko e. I've got an Ibanez Weeping Demon here. Ok naman tunog, kasing character ng mga Morley ko. Pero bitin lang yung boost niya at 5db lang at full. My morleys have 20db clean boosts. Yung dunlop dime may 15db gain boost.

So ang tanong ay, can I mod this Weeping demon to have 20db boost instead of 5db? At ano components kailangan ko? Kaya ko lang ba mag isa tong mod na ito considering I have (I think) decent soldering skills? 

Thanks in advance.
I'm guessing that the boost is a non-inverting opamp stage, if so, you just need to replace one resistor. Either the feedback resistor or the gain setting resistor. Ang importante yung ratio nung dalawang resistor. The feedback resistor needs to be x10 the value of the gain setting resistor. So, if 1K yung isa, yung feedback resistor should be 10K. This will give that opamp stage a voltage gain of 11 (Av=1+(Rfb/Rgs)), which is roughly 20db.

Keep in mind, though, depending on the signal level entering the boost circuit, it might not be a clean boost. The circuit is running on 9v, and Vref is most likely 4.5v. So, if the signal going into the boost is 1 volt, the circuit will try to amplify that to 10v but it will hit the power rails and clip = distortion. One way around that is to install a pot, wired as a variable resistor, in series with the feedback resistor, something like 1k Rfb > 10K pot. This way you could adjust the gain of the boost from clean to distorted.

Another caveat: I haven't seen the inside of a WD7. If it's smd components, that might make it harder to mod, depending on your skill level. Personally, I back away from smd.

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
I'm guessing that the boost is a non-inverting opamp stage, if so, you just need to replace one resistor. Either the feedback resistor or the gain setting resistor. Ang importante yung ratio nung dalawang resistor. The feedback resistor needs to be x10 the value of the gain setting resistor. So, if 1K yung isa, yung feedback resistor should be 10K. This will give that opamp stage a voltage gain of 11 (Av=1+(Rfb/Rgs)), which is roughly 20db.

Keep in mind, though, depending on the signal level entering the boost circuit, it might not be a clean boost. The circuit is running on 9v, and Vref is most likely 4.5v. So, if the signal going into the boost is 1 volt, the circuit will try to amplify that to 10v but it will hit the power rails and clip = distortion. One way around that is to install a pot, wired as a variable resistor, in series with the feedback resistor, something like 1k Rfb > 10K pot. This way you could adjust the gain of the boost from clean to distorted.

Another caveat: I haven't seen the inside of a WD7. If it's smd components, that might make it harder to mod, depending on your skill level. Personally, I back away from smd.

wala na ako naintindihan. lol i have no problem with clipping since they would be used with gobs of distortion anyway. My Morleys clip around halfway of the boost knob engaged. Kulang lang kasi tong WD7 when it comes to jumping ot of the mix for distorted solos. The Morleys have no problem slicing through the mix with that amount of boost.

at least now i know it is possible. o you know someone who could do this?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:30:04 AM by Bolt Thrower »

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
 Hehe... Sensya na... Mas madaling maintindihan kung meron schematic. Problema hanggang ngayon wala pa ko makitang schem ng wd7. Pero in short, kung tama hinala ko, isang resistor lang papalitan para ma increase ang boost. Sigurado meron dyan na kaya yan kahit walang schematic.

Offline xaeroblade

• Forum Fanatic
Pwede bro pagkakaiba lang naman nila yung tolerance.Last time nakabili ako ng cap .1 box metal film P5@.Sa resistor tolerance lang naman pagkakaiba nila.IMO may tone difference lang sa transistor and IC.
Thanks man much appreciated, going to do clones first for personal use. Tsaka na yung modification or sariling design if ever man makagawa :)
Bands: Project:Materia and

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
latest project, fourth PCB revision  :-D

it's two channel pedal (dist + od) and i'll be using vintage metal can ICs  :wave:
nuno : n4 2.0 n4esa, n4vintage, n4 silver sparkle, n5, n6, n7, n8esa
etc : yjm, axis, jp6, jpxi, jp12, jp13, lp 58 vos, lp 57 ri, lp standard, lp trad, am strat, am tele deluxe, jem7v, uv777, rg prestige, j custom, deluxe reverb, vai legacy, jcm900, axefx

Offline 59sunburst

meron n po bang nagawa ng airplane flanger dito??? magkano? :)

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
latest project, fourth PCB revision  :-D

it's two channel pedal (dist + od) and i'll be using vintage metal can ICs  :wave:

yammmeeeehhhh!

Offline thugs

Sir san po kayo nakakabili ng Female Jack na katulad ng gamit nyo dito?

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
was asked by a bud to "fix" a guyatone OD he has which was rehoused already due to noise issues.

good thing previous modder wired it already for TBP. did some tracing of the basic circuit just in case you guys get to repair this model in the future, wala kasi sa net na available eh.

fixed the tone control (wired it closer to a BM tone stack despite parts value variation).

Offline sydmanrique

Rebote Delay by Mr. Lito Bote  :)

Rebote Delay again  :)

"The GOD (Grit Overdrive Distortion)"  :)

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
was asked by a bud to "fix" a guyatone OD he has which was rehoused already due to noise issues.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm119/musikerochan/SAM_6466.jpg

good thing previous modder wired it already for TBP. did some tracing of the basic circuit just in case you guys get to repair this model in the future, wala kasi sa net na available eh.

fixed the tone control (wired it closer to a BM tone stack despite parts value variation).

Very cool, man. Thanks for tracing & sharing :bow: I wonder why Guyatone decided to use an the inverting buffer instead of a non-inverting.  :?

Anyway, if I may add to your contribution, this is what I guess you did to the tone control:

Did you notice a volume loss after the conversion?

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
defintely my volume loss since the passive yung tone stack. kakatuwa din yung original config ng tone stack nya, as per schem. i decided to change the range altogether and wire it big muff style. nga lang nabago yung frequency range (i just moved the 33K from its 10nF junction to VB na din).

not sure why guyatone opted for an inverting buffer when they could have save a few parts with a non-inverting instead. oh well, baka para ma-filter pa yung output nung gain stage with the 3.3nf cap across pins 2 and 1.

yun nga palang toggle switch sa feedback cap is a mod done by the previous builder. kept it just the same when i rehoused the OD again.

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
in hindsight though, parang di ko type yung pagkaka-rewire ko. it seems the original is very much altered. i ran a stack calculator ngayon lang and realized mas  maigi siguro i-alter ko yung cap value, 4n7 na lang instead na 22nF to give a slight mid boost, and a much tapered high end and low end roll off instead.

thoughts?

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
in hindsight though, parang di ko type yung pagkaka-rewire ko. it seems the original is very much altered. i ran a stack calculator ngayon lang and realized mas  maigi siguro i-alter ko yung cap value, 4n7 na lang instead na 22nF to give a slight mid boost, and a much tapered high end and low end roll off instead.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm119/musikerochan/guyatonemodifiedBMtonestack.png

thoughts?

That looks good. You will always have the mids even when at the extremes of the bass or treble sides. If you want a bit of control over the amount of mids, and if you have room for another pot, try the AMZ Presence Control. I did a version of that in the last 4 TS style overdrives that I built:

I added that after the 1st opamp, the 'out' going into a 1uF cap before going into the second opamp wired as a recovery stage (non-inverting amp with a gain of 11).

Here is the mid response, curves correspond to the 25k pot going from 0 to 25k in 5k increments:

It doesn't have a mid peak/boost but I find it has sufficient mids for my taste.

Offline FollowTheReaper

• Veteran Member
Good day guys!

I just lurk around this thread because I'm fascinated by D.I.Y. stuff. I can only do simple stuff like soldering and such.

Anyways, is it possible to make a Mooer sized (or even smaller) noise gate pedal? I just need a simple one with only 1 knob (treshold) and a 2 color LED indicator (just to know when it is closed/open). Doesn't even have to be equipped with a footswitch since it's going to be engaged all the time.

Cheers ^-^
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 02:50:41 PM by FollowTheReaper »
Music Educator

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
That looks good. You will always have the mids even when at the extremes of the bass or treble sides. If you want a bit of control over the amount of mids, and if you have room for another pot, try the AMZ Presence Control. I did a version of that in the last 4 TS style overdrives that I built:

I added that after the 1st opamp, the 'out' going into a 1uF cap before going into the second opamp wired as a recovery stage (non-inverting amp with a gain of 11).

Here is the mid response, curves correspond to the 25k pot going from 0 to 25k in 5k increments:

It doesn't have a mid peak/boost but I find it has sufficient mids for my taste.

yep. as much as possible i wanted to preserve the mids, hence the sweep. pwede siguro i-alter pa ng konti para i-move nang konti yung scope nung boosted range into 900Hz, or depende sa magiging mood ko mamaya hehehe.

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
...Anyways, is it possible to make a Mooer sized (or even smaller) noise gate pedal?...

There is an older MXR Noise Gate project over at tonepad.com. The circuit looks simple enough to squeeze into a small (1590A) enclosure. There is also an ISP Decimator project at diystompboxes.com. That one is more complicated. I think it would have to be done in smd to make it fit in a 1590A sized box. I haven't done any small box projects so I'm just guessing here.

Offline jyjcomp

• Philmusicus Noobitus
im looking for diy chorus and delay.anyone here can make it here.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 05:47:46 PM by jyjcomp »

Offline johnravacio

im looking for diy chorus and delay.anyone here can make it here. contact me @ 09218079968

There are a lot of makers(MTO) on this thread pre like pedalmax. If you're in a hurry there are ready to purchase DIY pedals like Apax see http://pinoypedals.com/. I hope that helps!
good judgement comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgement...

Offline fretzburner

• Forum Fanatic
Tim inspired pedal,maybe the smallest Tim alike(1590B)without the Fx loop

online photo sharing
"It's not just the game of notes,it's the sound inside your soul"

Offline nasyo

sa mga OD at Dist, mostly yong resistor before sa coupling capacitor each stage. Yon po ang ginagalaw ko at pinapalitan ng value para mahanap yong sweet spot ng Dirt Pedal.

Yan lang po.

Offline nasyo

ito lang po yong palagi ko ginagamit kapag may gustong magpabagsik ng tunog ng kanilang Dirt Pedal.
add lang ako ng isang stage sa may Pre-gain at isa sa Post.
Magdedepende talaga sa tunog. Iba-iba kasi ang reaksyon sa iba-ibang pedal.
Pwede rin po itong Boost.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:06:51 PM by nasyo »

Offline johnravacio

Tim inspired pedal,maybe the smallest Tim alike(1590B)without the Fx loop

online photo sharing

Nice pre... Ano 'to distortion pedal? tremulus lune?
good judgement comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgement...