hulika

Author Topic: Fender Japan vs. Fender USA vs. Fender Mexico: best quality-to-price ratio  (Read 23324 times)

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Fender Japan vs. Fender USA vs. Fender Mexico: best quality-to-price ratio
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 01:31:23 AM »
Japan is nowhere near as good as mexico starting 08. IF your buying an 07 and below.. yeah.. a MIJ should be better in fit and finish but MIM guitars are usually lighter (on an average but not the rule). Its the source of the wood. Lat 07, the custom shop visited mexico and fixed their production lines giving birth to the road worn series. After that visit MIM guitars exceeded MIA guitars in fit and finish. Jap guitars have always been known for having excellent fit and finish but the new MIM guitars have that custom shop touch that youll feel when you play it.
it's an interesting observation. if one takes a long look at the paths taken by these areas of production, Fender Mexico and Squier have taken progressive approaches. on the other hand, while not a knock on craftsmanship, Fender Japan has so far largely stuck with traditional models and designs - almost always vintage reissues outside the Aerodynes and what few signature models they produce. i honestly think they're stagnating.

so, i guess it makes sense for MIM to stand shoulder to shoulder with MIA's and MIJ's soon, if not already. with that said, i'd probably be looking at MIM's first if i ever look to buy a new Fender guitar.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline Mardk

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 01:41:27 AM »
I'd go for MIJs. Because I have one. Bias. Hahaha.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 05:05:31 AM »
lol @ me i forgot i bought a MIM last year whew time flies when you like guitars

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011, 05:55:05 AM »
Yes, I also think the new MIMs are getting really good.  I try them out against each other in music stores whenever possible and end up impressed with the MIMs most of the time.  Which might mean their level of consistency is better.

Offline johnbrown

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 08:00:57 AM »
Indeed MIM very impressive nowadays!.... Especially the Road Worn Series!

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2011, 09:35:57 AM »
Dami na ring choices sa mim :-) I think they'll be more interesting because of the variety. If I'll buy new, I'll definitely look into them.

When it comes to buying used stuff,  decent na rin ang prices for all (including mia). Limited nga lang kasi nasa pinas tayo (not that many guitars to start with or some guitars tend to be passed around lang - not a good sign).

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2011, 10:09:58 AM »
interesting info!  to think i was pretty deadset on a new MIJ if and when i get a new strat.  definitely something to think about.

and i didn't know na MIM ang mga road-worn series.
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2011, 11:42:39 AM »
the mij 57 strat i got was real good. the neck fits the pocket PERFECTLY. and it has texas special pickups.

when it comes to 2nd hand guitars, i'd definitely go MIJ.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline coolaxer

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2011, 12:32:13 PM »
MIA.. of course
MIJ.. ozawa craftmanship is cool. ive tried lots of em from my boss and it feels very great :)
MIM...hindi pa ko nakakahawak neto so..
PLAY TO EXPRESS B!#CH NOT TO IMPRESS.

Offline toybitz

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2011, 02:26:36 PM »
craftsmanship of the lower and models of MIA..like neck, PUs etc...its a 15-20K disparity against MIM's standards...the MIM standard gets my vote.

in between lies MIJ reissues.

I'd say, I'd go for the MIJ.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline toybitz

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2011, 12:33:45 PM »
OT

pero all in all.. best quality-to-price ratio... G&L MIA ako.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline joshnerez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2011, 06:47:44 PM »
Fender USA is out of the equation in terms of quality to price ratio, their expense suggest that they use parts that are way expensive than the other two makers.

imho, i dont think that they use "expensive" parts, as much as i want to give them credit on their pricing. i think they charge so much because of the labor.  :-D

btw, id go for MIJ from '99 down. i have never really tried an MIA higher than the standard. but what i have heard from other musicians that i met and having felt, played, and listened to their standard strats, imho, it most sounded like crap. they too cost so much rather than mij guitars.

mij craftmanship is better even for its low models(i dont think they consider lower models, since they are indeed GREAT at their craft).
just my two cents.  :mrgreen:
"It is not great men who changes the world, but weak men in the hands of a great God."

Offline caloyburger

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2011, 07:41:51 PM »
All three factories can churn out excellent as well as substandrd instruments.  That being said and considering quality-to-price ratio if I had to to choose between the best each factory can put out I'd go for Mexican.  The newer Mexican Fenders don't only show excellent workmanship but their electronics and hardware are equal to their US counterparts and at a price that rivals Fender Japan.  My beef with CIJ/MIJ is that they fall short in the electronics department despite their flawless craftsmanship and attention to detail.  I've had a couple of CIJ's the past few years and they had tiny pots and flimsy switches.  The current reissue MIM strat and tele models have full sizes CTS pots, better switch and heavier plated hardware.

But then another model stirs the pot...The Made in China Squier Classic Vibe.  I've got a CV 50's tele and all I can say is that fit, finish, and overall feel are top notch.  It can run circles around my HWY1.  Only downside is that the hardware plating tends to dull faster than I'd like.  Electronics wise I'm not changing a thing.  It's got full sized Alpha pots and pickups that are rumored to be made at the Tonerider factory.  The controls cavities are shielded too!  Plus it's cheaper than the MIM Standard series.           

Offline Ryn

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2011, 05:41:36 AM »
Here is my take on this:

For Reissues I'd say the MIJ gets my vote

For Standard series I'd go for Mexico

For peace of mind I'd go for a MIA hehe

Offline mandoytz

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2011, 06:59:18 AM »
Here is my take on this:

+10000  :-D

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2011, 09:38:17 AM »
Here is my take on this:

I got peace of mind on my mij, plus peace of wallet..

An american/mexican strat would be nice though..
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2011, 10:25:43 AM »
But then another model stirs the pot...The Made in China Squier Classic Vibe.  I've got a CV 50's tele and all I can say is that fit, finish, and overall feel are top notch.  It can run circles around my HWY1.  Only downside is that the hardware plating tends to dull faster than I'd like.  Electronics wise I'm not changing a thing.  It's got full sized Alpha pots and pickups that are rumored to be made at the Tonerider factory.  The controls cavities are shielded too!  Plus it's cheaper than the MIM Standard series.           

+1 on the classic vibe. I'd take that over the mim standard :-)

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2011, 05:20:33 PM »
^ +1 Classic Vibe

i was lucky to grab one this year, they sell so fast in a week they're sold out. Here in CN.
looking for badass guitars and amps.....

Offline joshnerez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2011, 10:55:51 AM »

i dont think not all MIA FMIC strats delivers you this.
there are standard series that sound, touch, feel like ____. imho :-D
"It is not great men who changes the world, but weak men in the hands of a great God."

Offline Ryn

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2011, 12:10:53 PM »
i dont think not all MIA FMIC strats delivers you this.
there are standard series that sound, touch, feel like ____. imho :-D

yes bro you are right, there are also some Fender MIA that are sub-par especially during the 80's. but fender MIA has continually improved/consistent with their current builds

Offline joshnerez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2011, 03:56:48 PM »
yes bro you are right, there are also some Fender MIA that are sub-par especially during the 80's. but fender MIA has continually improved/consistent with their current builds

:-D
no doubt for almost all CS products.

IT:
btw, hmm, almost all players who posted in these thread favors the other. hehehe!

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2011, 05:10:38 PM »
I think it's because it's hit and miss talaga. There are good mim, mij, & mia Fenders. There are bad ones from each too. Tsambahan nalang kung ok yung matry mo ng mim/j/a na guitar. :-)

Offline Boski

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2012, 01:54:22 AM »
Generally, here are my observations about these Fenders:

1.   The best Fenders during 1983 up to about 1989 are Japanese Fenders.

2.   The best Fenders before and after the said period are US Fenders.

3.   Mexico, in my opinion is a strong 3rd among them nowadays.

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2012, 06:47:01 AM »
I have a very good impression of Fender Mexico. More or less, the same parts that get thrown on US-made guitars. I mean, still CTS and Switchcraft, right? At least for Classic Player? I have a Mexican-made Jazzmaster and it's really resonant. Doesn't feel dead like a fair amount of MIJs I've tried.

My impression:

MIA: Expensive
MIM: Hit-or-miss, but okay electronics, MIA parts drop in!
MIJ: Okay quality, some really good ones but a fair amount of dogs and crap electronics (daw)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 03:19:24 PM by treblinkalovescene »
Offset guitars for life.

Offline ritchieblackmore

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »
Early Japanese Fender models were GREAT...Wood, craftmanship, pickups, hardwares and accessories, specially the sound, everything youre looking and expecting for a Fender guitar for a reasonable price. Actually Im still keeping  one with me since 1992.

Unfortunately a couple of years ago, Ive got a Japanese Fender strat from a trade, but this time a newer edition..I was surprised..Im not expecting that body were already made in Plyood, and the craftmanship, its mediocre, sounds awful and I cant get along playing on its fretboard..I sold it immediately.