hulika

Author Topic: Lomo  (Read 33646 times)

Offline Seej

• Forum Fanatic
Lomo
« on: September 05, 2007, 01:26:00 AM »
Any lomographers here? I'm not but I want to be one! I want the Holga and the Color Splash! Anyone here have lomo cams? :-D
Even a broken clock is right, twice a day

Offline nutribanboy

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Re: Lomo
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 03:17:47 AM »
hello!

lomo!! i have holga & fisheye2..  :mrgreen:

Offline Seej

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 03:46:35 AM »
How much did you pay for the holga? :-D

Offline schnitzerz4

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 07:08:31 AM »
diba mahal ito?

Offline nutribanboy

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 12:35:34 PM »
i bought my holga sa hidalgo.. 1.5k :D

Offline Kulas

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 09:27:48 AM »
diba mahal ito?

mahal kasi hindi sha digital. eventually yung cost ng consumables yung papatay sayo, hehe. mahal ng film eh.

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 09:48:18 AM »
I've never been impressed with Lomos. I started out with film, and when I was a kid I even had a Diana F which was a cheap toy 35mm film camera that became a darling of the arty set because it took all these wonderfully fuzzy photos. Well doh!

I even had a darkroom at home and developed black and white prints so I know all about the romance of film, bla bla bla.

I stopped using film in 1998 when I bought an Agfa digital camera, and I've never bought a roll of film since. The combination of a digital image plus Photoshop is to me the biggest artistic liberation. You can make almost any image in your mind a reality. If the image you shot is less than perfect, you can spend some time with it in Photoshop and make it real. Then output to a file, then print it (or have it printed). Now there's your art.

I saw the Lomo exhibit at MagNet in Bonifacio High Street, and I still wasn't impressed. Yeah they were fuzzy and dreamy and saturated - but you can get the same results with a cameraphone image processed by Photoshop. I can't imagine myself, shooting an image on a Lomo, and then have to scan the film negative so I could work on the image in Photoshop and really push the contrast and color saturation. That would be artistically dishonest, because in the end, you went back to the digital domain anyway.

A real Lomo exhibit would use real darkroom techniques and display the images sans digital processing. Even a Polaroid print exhibit would be better.

Can some Lomo fan explain to me what is the big deal about Lomos - the camera and the output?

Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline vic_6

• Board Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 10:52:09 PM »

i thought lomos were fun toys. but that's pretty much it. i'd like to get myself one just to play with but i really doubt that i'd actually do that. i am fond of the pictures though. very old school. but instead of shelling out the money for a lomo i'd rather just get myself some new lenses for a dslr. :) and learn to use photoshop properly. hehe

schnitzers: mura lang mga lomo. pero meron ding lomo na mahal. pinaka mahal ata asa 25k. horizon perfekt ata yung tawag dun.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 10:55:48 PM by vic_6 »
way too much GAS, way too little cash

Offline Seej

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 01:23:11 AM »
i thought lomos were fun toys. but that's pretty much it. i'd like to get myself one just to play with but i really doubt that i'd actually do that. i am fond of the pictures though. very old school. but instead of shelling out the money for a lomo i'd rather just get myself some new lenses for a dslr. :) and learn to use photoshop properly. hehe

schnitzers: mura lang mga lomo. pero meron ding lomo na mahal. pinaka mahal ata asa 25k. horizon perfekt ata yung tawag dun.

Yeah. Yung horizon thingy. I saw it on the internet for $500. I saw some shots with the Horizon. Maganda siya. :D

@Jim Ayson:
I'm not a lomographer yet but I think this is my only escape from Photoshop. :-D

The real disadvantage of lomos is the film.

Offline vic_6

• Board Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 04:23:10 PM »
escape from photoshop? hehe! ayos ah. i think the best escape from photoshop no matter what camera you use it taking good pics. hehe :) kaso matagal tagal na practice din. hehehe :)

yeah i really think the downside to lomos is film. grabe sa gastos yun.

they're fun cameras though :) and i guess if that's what floats your boat, then go ahead :)
way too much GAS, way too little cash

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 03:02:08 AM »
HAHA! when i first read the thread title, i was expecting a reply to the thread from jim. haha!

nice one jim.

Ive attended lomo gatherings before, the only thing that impressed where the women who are so into lomography, most of them were very very pretty. haha

I brought my SLR back then and yeah, magastos ang film.

@seej

member ka ba ng lomomanila? dun ako sa gatherings nila dati umaatend. Warm yung mga tao doon.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 03:04:08 AM by progressive_pilipinas »
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 01:13:26 PM »
I have the fisheye and will be buying the the colorsplash! Yup they are "toy camera's"...

Nakaka-aliw lang tingnan yung mga pictures nila :-D :-D :-D

@seej - Punta ka sa lomomanila, ok din mga forumites dun! May nagbebenta dun ng mga cams na hinahanap mo, dun din ako bibili ng colorsplash eh :-D :-D :-D 

Offline Seej

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 08:28:41 PM »
@seej

member ka ba ng lomomanila? dun ako sa gatherings nila dati umaatend. Warm yung mga tao doon.

Nope. Hmm. I'll be when I have my own Lomo cam. Hehe. :-D

@seej - Punta ka sa lomomanila, ok din mga forumites dun! May nagbebenta dun ng mga cams na hinahanap mo, dun din ako bibili ng colorsplash eh :-D :-D :-D 

Nakapunta nako sa forum na yun. Well, dumaan lang. Hahah. Makaregister nga.

jakobspiral

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 12:32:23 AM »
Is it just me? or, I don't get it. I read the lomo rules at the lomo website...

or copied from wikipedia:
   1. Take your LOMO everywhere you go and whenever you go.
   2. Use it any time - day or night.
   3. Lomography is not an interference in your life, but a part of it.
   4. Shoot from the hip.
   5. Approach the objects of your lomographic desire as close as possible.
   6. Don't think.
   7. Be fast.
   8. You don't have to know beforehand what you've captured on film.
   9. You don't have to know afterwards, either.
  10. Don't worry about the rules

So, wouldn't a really cheap digital camera satisfy the rules even more than the overly priced lomo? (including the film costs. I know this personally, I started with film)

Ok, let's read some of the rules carefully...

"1. Take your LOMO everywhere you go and whenever you go."
lomos are heavy and bulky. PLUS the extra film, etc. a cheap, small digicam isn't.

"2. Use it any time - day or night."
i think all digicams nowadays have a built in flash. some "lomo" cams don't.

"3. Lomography is not an interference in your life, but a part of it."
yeah right, say that after the film costs of a lomo. plus dadaan ka pa sa padevelopan na hindi sa mall para mura.

5. Approach the objects of your lomographic desire as close as possible.
what for? a zoom can actually get better portraits coz "models look best when taken candidly and naturally" (said nigel barker when he was at greenbelt.) :-)

"7. Be fast."
sige nga, mag autofocus ka gamit ang lomo.

and the rest of the rules...

4. Shoot from the hip.
   6. Don't think.
    8. You don't have to know beforehand what you've captured on film.
   9. You don't have to know afterwards, either.
  10. Don't worry about the rules.

You don't need a "lomo camera" to do all these. Actually, these rules were followed by a lot of photographers way before lomography was coined.

"Lomography" seems like it's just a marketing ploy to sell old, unsold cameras no one really wanted to buy. A really clever marketing ploy, though. Yet...

Corny... :-|

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 03:40:14 PM »
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline tejadster

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 08:43:59 PM »
astiog talaga ang lomo.....
dapat nga bibili ako dati kaso lang ang mahal $75.99

Offline fayeshka

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 03:19:15 PM »
What attracted me to lomo is the fact that it's old school. Old school in a sense that you don't have a preview of your shots immediately after you take them. I like it because of the anticipation of having your rolls processed, making mistakes, and learning all sorts of things about film photography. Loading film is one experience, seeing your subject from the viewfinder and not an LCD is another, checking the range of your subject from your camera is another, coz I never got into film photography before. First time ko ito at film, so siguro part din yun ng appeal sa akin.

I hardly shoot from the hip though, coz the film is quite expensive! Pero i'm really there for the experience and not solely for the output. Nevertheless, I like it because the colors become so alive that even the mundane things look so pretty. :)

Iba parin pag phinotoshop eh. But to each his own. Maybe I have a fixation for these sentimental things.

Offline Seej

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2007, 12:08:58 AM »
I think the developing is where the real fun starts. I dunno. I viewed sir RA Rivera's lomo shots and I think they're cool even if the film is dirty and stuff.

The Lomo Horizon, although expensive, is really worth it! Well, I don't have it. I want to. Haha. :lol:

Offline fayeshka

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 01:02:29 AM »
The Lomo Horizon, although expensive, is really worth it! Well, I don't have it. I want to. Haha. :lol:

I want a frog eye! Para underwater shots galore. But for the meantime, I'm going to practice on my HolgaCFN and try to get the hang of it, then I'll try otheer cams (that is if i don't become broke after all those rolls I'm gonna end up using).

Offline raincontreras

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2007, 07:50:31 PM »
Aw man, a 'Lomography' thread with minimal fanboy/girl-ism.

Nice.

I started photography with 'Lomography'. Look at the Lomomanila yahoogroup, I was one of the early active members.

Then I got educated :)

I get people who abandoned film photography, but I also get people who want to go the 'purist' way and learn the ways of shooting-without-pinching, experimenting which darkroom chemicals to use, etc.

The latter though is best practiced the real old-school way, and not by some marketing entity who marketed a faulty Russian copy of a faulty Japanese scale-focus camera at about, uhm, 500% its original eBay price.

Old-school way? Ask the the 40-50 year old photographers loitering Luneta, the Manila Zoo. Read the 200-300p photography books sold at Booksale stores, mga 70s-80s na pinublish.

Oh, the Horizon panoramic camera is not a Lomo camera in the strictest sense; its a KMZ camera. There are only a handful of true Lomo cameras, and all the others marketed by the Lomography site are just sourced, or come from forgotten bodegas somewhere in Europe.

Aesthetically, I find the output of Lomography OK lang. But, uhm, why would you want to participate in a Lomowall exhibit WITHOUT credit (or you get credit at some random wall at the venue)? Why would you leave the discipline of taking pictures by chance? Photography is a craft, an art with techniques to learn and develop.

Hay.

Oh, as for Lomomanila, I sometimes participate in their online discussions now. There's this current uso thing there yata with rangefinders pa nga (I'm a member of a local rangefinder camera group, where you can find harsher critics of Lomography). There are very nice, warm people there, I agree. Medyo iwas nga lang sa Lomography talk when they encounter me. Wahahaha.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 07:57:12 PM by raincontreras »

Offline emetek

• Netizen Level
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2007, 08:53:51 AM »
ngak lomo.. uwaaaa lomo lomo na ,bak to analog hehehee.. gleng gleng naman.. meron din akong diana at holga..... yung diana.. meron sa team manila.. yung holga dami sa hidalgo sa avenue at mega store...old skul ha... nakaka2wa yung mga exposure ng lomo.. way bak to 60's to 70s.. gleng gleng
kakaiba pag nakita mo yung ganitong picture..... pwede bang join sa team nyo....hehehe.... o kaya exhibit tayo para masaya.. lomo lomo..... yipiiiii!!!
PAINTING REPRO NI BOBBY BALINGIT 500 PESOS LNG WITH SIGNATURE AT TULA
bobby balingit classical guitar CD.. title"GRASA" get the copy now or txt #09159473506 .. ma mi mis nyo kalahati ng buhay nyo

Offline i_banez

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 10:02:05 PM »
san po me shop ng lomo cams around alabang? and around how much yung holga?

Offline beighbeigh

• Netizen Level
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 10:11:20 AM »
try niyo:

jenniecastillo.multiply.com

nagbebenta sha ng cameras, accessories at film.

LOMO LOVE!
ad astra per aspera

Offline deathbystroke

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 04:40:29 PM »
mukhang ayaw ko pa muna ma-hook dito sa lomo photography, mukhang mapapagastos ako ng todo hehe

Offline franco

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 10:45:18 PM »
magastos nga pero it's worth it! hinay hinay lang kasi nakaka adik!
if you can't join them, beat them!