hulika

Author Topic: tube question  (Read 4004 times)

Offline e_gui11

tube question
« on: April 05, 2007, 12:55:33 AM »
pwede po ba palitan ng EL34 power tube ang 6L6?

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: tube question
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 04:30:27 AM »
hindi ...iba ang power consumption ng isa't isa..... masusunog ang transformer mo.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 06:02:00 AM »
how about using yellowjackets? or are those for El34-EL84 only?

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 06:18:26 AM »
yellow jackets are adapters for EL84s.

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 06:28:12 AM »
EL34s are not direct replacements for 6L6s. You can get a 6L6 amp modded to accept EL34s. After the mod, you can switch between EL34s and 6L6s with just a bias adjustment. Some amps have the swapping capability already built in, like the Peavey Triple XXX amps.

A less radical approach would be to swap out the 6L6s for 5881s, no mods needed.

Offline alroyT

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 06:44:44 AM »
EL34s are not direct replacements for 6L6s. You can get a 6L6 amp modded to accept EL34s. After the mod, you can switch between EL34s and 6L6s with just a bias adjustment. Some amps have the swapping capability already built in, like the Peavey Triple XXX amps.

A less radical approach would be to swap out the 6L6s for 5881s, no mods needed.
OT ubersam,is that a dual recto road king on your avatar?Someone is selling me a 3 channel triple rectifier for 1000k 2 yrs old.Have you tried it?I have tried countless rectos but not the roadking and the triple rect.Should i get it?Yes i love hi gain amps.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 07:11:59 AM »

6L6 sounds better than 5881s base on my experience.

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 08:05:54 AM »

I really do not have a lot of experience with 5881s, just EL34s and 6L6s. All I know is that the 5881s have lower headroom and breaks up sooner than the 6L6s.

OT ubersam,is that a dual recto road king on your avatar?Someone is selling me a 3 channel triple rectifier for 1000k 2 yrs old.Have you tried it?I have tried countless rectos but not the roadking and the triple rect.Should i get it?Yes i love hi gain amps.

Ya, my avatar is a pic of the logo on my road king. So someone is selling you a 3-ch triple rec for 1000K, wouldn't that be 1m? I assume that you meant $1KUSD. That seems to be on the high side of used prices, 800 to 900 would be better IMO. For 1K, I would expect an immaculately clean and blemish-free item.  Anyway, AFAIK, the Road King is essentially a 4 channel Dual Rectifier with a boat load of options per channel. The additional clean channel on the RK is taken from the Loan Star. With the exception of the Loan Star cleans, you should be able to dial in the same sounds from both the RK and the Triple Rec.

Offline alroyT

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 08:33:48 AM »

I really do not have a lot of experience with 5881s, just EL34s and 6L6s. All I know is that the 5881s have lower headroom and breaks up sooner than the 6L6s.

Ya, my avatar is a pic of the logo on my road king. So someone is selling you a 3-ch triple rec for 1000K, wouldn't that be 1m? I assume that you meant $1KUSD. That seems to be on the high side of used prices, 800 to 900 would be better IMO. For 1K, I would expect an immaculately clean and blemish-free item.  Anyway, AFAIK, the Road King is essentially a 4 channel Dual Rectifier with a boat load of options per channel. The additional clean channel on the RK is taken from the Loan Star. With the exception of the Loan Star cleans, you should be able to dial in the same sounds from both the RK and the Triple Rec.
Yeah i meant 1k i was gonna type 1000$,anyway I haggled it down to 900 and yes its clean and in excellent condition,no nicks or any issues.Im gonna meet the seller tom and test drive it.

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 09:44:40 AM »
Yeah i meant 1k i was gonna type 1000$,anyway I haggled it down to 900 and yes its clean and in excellent condition,no nicks or any issues.Im gonna meet the seller tom and test drive it.
Good job! Good luck with it...

Offline markflo

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 09:57:24 AM »
5881's are direct replacements for 6L6's...they're in the same family, you could say...along with 7581A, KT66

tama sila, kelangan i mod yung amp to switch between 6L6's/EL34's unless it's one of those amps that are really designed to handle both...

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln