hulika

Author Topic: The GYMaholic Thread  (Read 310252 times)

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The GYMaholic Thread
« Reply #425 on: May 10, 2008, 06:03:52 AM »
meron pala ditong nag-i-increase ng weight kasi hindi na sumasakit. ibig sabihin, nag-plateau ka na. kahit mag-increase ka ng weight, its not going to do anything. you might hurt yourself in the process.

there's this technique that arnold schwarzenegger did. its called the slow grind (that's what I call it anyway). di ba ang normal mong ginagawa ninyo sa leg press eh one swift motion to press, then push it up right away. hindi nai-strain ang muscles that way. let the weight push down your legs, slowly, then pause for 2 seconds, then push it up slowly again, feeling the weight, say start with 'your weight + 50 lbs.'.

ex: you weigh 170 add 50 lbs. = 220 lbs. do 12 reps, 5 sets.

Its not how heavy you can lift or push, its the way you do it.

@panterica - you can't do it your way either, hehe. can't change the right form, there are other exercises for those parts. if you do that it will screw up how your muscles will form.

I looked it up.  Flushing, according to the old Arnold book (haha I still have it).  You hold a weight in certain positions to let a muscle contract isometrically.

When you feel stuck at a certain weight, you use some of these hi-intensity techniques to push your muscle past failure.  Flushing being one of 'em.

@soundslikebryan

You notice how fitness pros and researchers are divided in their schools of thought?  Volume vs Hi-intensity vs  Periodization?    Take Matt Brzycki vs Stuart McRobert for instance.  8-)
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline panterica

• Board Moderator
« Reply #426 on: May 10, 2008, 07:36:50 AM »
meron pala ditong nag-i-increase ng weight kasi hindi na sumasakit. ibig sabihin, nag-plateau ka na. kahit mag-increase ka ng weight, its not going to do anything. you might hurt yourself in the process.

there's this technique that arnold schwarzenegger did. its called the slow grind (that's what I call it anyway). di ba ang normal mong ginagawa ninyo sa leg press eh one swift motion to press, then push it up right away. hindi nai-strain ang muscles that way. let the weight push down your legs, slowly, then pause for 2 seconds, then push it up slowly again, feeling the weight, say start with 'your weight + 50 lbs.'.

ex: you weigh 170 add 50 lbs. = 220 lbs. do 12 reps, 5 sets.

Its not how heavy you can lift or push, its the way you do it.

@panterica - you can't do it your way either, hehe. can't change the right form, there are other exercises for those parts. if you do that it will screw up how your muscles will form.

possible na plateau nga bro, kaso hindi ba sobrang bilis ata ng plateau  ni tejadster? 2 months pa lang ata, anyway, nasa genes din naman siguro, kung ganon talaga sya kabilis mag-hit sa final mark, hehehe. i change the angles from time to time para ma-develop full yung inner at outer muscles, hehehe. leg day used to be my favorite part to work out, pero ngayon shoulders na, hahaha.
I know you would say that at for the record di mo ako kilala ROOKIEBOY. Tinawag kitang rookie at di lahat, IKAW LANG GET IT. Hanggang dyan ka na lang....puro cheap shots - Pallas

"Good artists copy, great artists steal"

Offline soundslikebryan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #427 on: May 10, 2008, 11:13:48 AM »
I looked it up.  Flushing, according to the old Arnold book (haha I still have it).  You hold a weight in certain positions to let a muscle contract isometrically.

When you feel stuck at a certain weight, you use some of these hi-intensity techniques to push your muscle past failure.  Flushing being one of 'em.

@soundslikebryan

You notice how fitness pros and researchers are divided in their schools of thought?  Volume vs Hi-intensity vs  Periodization?    Take Matt Brzycki vs Stuart McRobert for instance.  8-)

the thing is, were not built like them. we have a different bone structure and we are not built to force ourselves to lift heavy once we hit a wall. since were genetically different, we need our muscles to learn how to handle this plateau. by using the same amount of weight with just a slight difference in handling.

plateaus can happen even within a couple weeks. specially pag spot training. I'm just using simple ideas, not really using science right now.

if you've been training for a month and you remain using the same amount of weights, it means, you neede to move on. how about your adductors and abductors (tama ba yun, haha - singit and gilid ng thighs). you glutes, shins, and calves.

the common sense is you're not suppose to twist. parang paghulma yan ng glass or steel. you need heat in order to make it to the form that you want.
Bakit hindi ka pwedeng mapuyat sa umaga?

http://www.myspace.com/bryanjason  http://twitter.com/bryanjason

Offline tejadster

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #428 on: May 12, 2008, 10:09:56 AM »
kahapon: 2:30-3:30 back-triceps

4-5:30 badminton

6-6:30 triceps naman..

adik... kelangan i rush pasukan na sa june 17 :lol:

Offline panterica

• Board Moderator
« Reply #429 on: May 12, 2008, 11:41:24 AM »
hay, just got home from the gym. back and shoulder workout today. i might go to the gym tomorrow for cardio, paliit konti ng lovehandles.
I know you would say that at for the record di mo ako kilala ROOKIEBOY. Tinawag kitang rookie at di lahat, IKAW LANG GET IT. Hanggang dyan ka na lang....puro cheap shots - Pallas

Offline tejadster

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #430 on: May 12, 2008, 12:51:46 PM »
kakabalik ko lang sa bahay... legs-shoulders day today....
ater mga 4pm chest naman... pang sundot :lol:

Offline joelskytursky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #431 on: May 12, 2008, 02:03:57 PM »
maya full body nalang ako
maliit man, nakapupuwing parin

Offline soundslikebryan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #432 on: May 16, 2008, 01:04:17 AM »
I quit my gym yesterday....

I joined another one a minute later, wahahahahaha

Offline charmonium

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #433 on: May 16, 2008, 04:25:51 PM »

natanong ko na 'to before but i'd like to know what you think.

when's the right time to add more weights? say for example, i hit plateau stage then i changed my form while still sticking to the same weights. afterwards, how will i know that it's time to add more weights? thanks!  :-)
i live by the uncertainty principle.

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #434 on: May 16, 2008, 04:30:27 PM »
To quote Tony Stark:  "Sometimes you gotta run before you learn to walk."

If you're doing the same weights and consistently hitting the target rep range, just do it bro.

:wink:
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline charmonium

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #435 on: May 16, 2008, 08:04:39 PM »
To quote Tony Stark:  "Sometimes you gotta run before you learn to walk."

If you're doing the same weights and consistently hitting the target rep range, just do it bro.

:wink:

common sense na nga lang siguro, hehe. thanks, man.  :-)

btw,

check this out, guys. very useful site. all exercises for all muscle groups can be found here, with moving pictures illustrating the proper techniques. a variety of template programs are also available.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

i live by the uncertainty principle.

Offline Black_angel

« Reply #436 on: May 16, 2008, 09:35:57 PM »
so minsan kapag paulit-ulit na ang ginagawa mo, ang tendency magsawa ka. Recommendation ko ay do variations, kasi kapag same sequence ang susundin mo every session mo ang tendency ay maging boaring ang program mo. Here is an example, taken from my reference material:

• Try 10 sets of 3, with only 20 seconds rest between sets.
• Try using a fairly heavy weight and complete 6 sets of 6 reps, doing a 3 minute treadmill sprint between each weight lifting set.
• Try using a near maximum weight and do 10 sets of 1 rep, with only 30 seconds rest between sets.
• Try using a lighter than normal weight and do 1 set of 50 reps for each exercise
• Try a workout based on only one full body exercise, such as barbell clean & presses or dumbbell squat & presses, and do nothing but that exercise for an intense 20 minutes.
• Try a workout based on all bodyweight exercises such as pushups, pull-ups, chin-ups, dips, bodyweight squats, lunges, up and down stairs, etc.
• Try a circuit of 12 different exercises covering the entire body without any rest between exercises.
• Try that same 12 exercise circuit on your subsequent workout, but do the entire circuit in the reverse order.
• Try your usual exercises at a faster repetition speed on one workout and then at a super-slow speed on your next workout.
• Try completing six 30 minute workouts one week, followed by three 1-hr workouts the next week. This will keep your body guessing.
• Try doing drop sets of all of your exercises, where you drop the weight between each set and keep doing repetitions without any rest until complete muscular fatigue (usually about 5-6 sets in a row).

Offline panterica

• Board Moderator
« Reply #437 on: May 16, 2008, 10:37:30 PM »
so minsan kapag paulit-ulit na ang ginagawa mo, ang tendency magsawa ka. Recommendation ko ay do variations, kasi kapag same sequence ang susundin mo every session mo ang tendency ay maging boaring ang program mo. Here is an example, taken from my reference material:

• Try 10 sets of 3, with only 20 seconds rest between sets.
• Try using a fairly heavy weight and complete 6 sets of 6 reps, doing a 3 minute treadmill sprint between each weight lifting set.
• Try using a near maximum weight and do 10 sets of 1 rep, with only 30 seconds rest between sets.
• Try using a lighter than normal weight and do 1 set of 50 reps for each exercise
• Try a workout based on only one full body exercise, such as barbell clean & presses or dumbbell squat & presses, and do nothing but that exercise for an intense 20 minutes.
• Try a workout based on all bodyweight exercises such as pushups, pull-ups, chin-ups, dips, bodyweight squats, lunges, up and down stairs, etc.
• Try a circuit of 12 different exercises covering the entire body without any rest between exercises.
• Try that same 12 exercise circuit on your subsequent workout, but do the entire circuit in the reverse order.
• Try your usual exercises at a faster repetition speed on one workout and then at a super-slow speed on your next workout.
• Try completing six 30 minute workouts one week, followed by three 1-hr workouts the next week. This will keep your body guessing.
• Try doing drop sets of all of your exercises, where you drop the weight between each set and keep doing repetitions without any rest until complete muscular fatigue (usually about 5-6 sets in a row).

hey, you forgot to give credits to the website where you got your "material".

http://www.truthaboutabs.com/exercise-variables.html

your first paragraph is almost the same as the sixth paragraph, tinagalog mo lang eh.

hohumm... arm workout kanina, sarapppp. will start taking nitrix next week! pump to the max! hahahaha.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 10:51:40 PM by panterica »

Offline soundslikebryan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #438 on: May 16, 2008, 10:57:13 PM »
natanong ko na 'to before but i'd like to know what you think.

when's the right time to add more weights? say for example, i hit plateau stage then i changed my form while still sticking to the same weights. afterwards, how will i know that it's time to add more weights? thanks!  :-)

it really depends on what you want to accomplish.
if you're looking for definition, add 10% then do slow reps/sets.
if you're strength training, start low, then increase gradually, doing less reps, high intensity.
if you're trying to lose weight, circuit is the way to go. light weights, with lots and lots of reps/sets (i like to do it to the point of exhaustion, where you can't feel or lift anymore).
if its muscle building, do a set of weights that you feel comfortable with for a week or two. do high intensity sets, even supersets. then increase by 5-10% the following week.
if you're just a muscle head....what's stopping you? just make sure you don't break your bones, or rip a ligament that you start to piss protein.

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #439 on: May 17, 2008, 08:15:33 AM »

your first paragraph is almost the same as the sixth paragraph, tinagalog mo lang eh.

hohumm... arm workout kanina, sarapppp. will start taking nitrix next week! pump to the max! hahahaha.
Galing mo talaga.  Hehehe detective panterica.  Who would've thought?   :-D
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline panterica

• Board Moderator
« Reply #440 on: May 17, 2008, 08:43:57 AM »
Galing mo talaga.  Hehehe detective panterica.  Who would've thought?   :-D

hehehe, copy and paste lang yung info. i'm also a member of the website's mailing list, too bad. hahaha.

and obviously, the guy's just trying to "fit in".

i'm thinking of doing cardio today, pag sinipag ako. hehehe.

Offline Black_angel

« Reply #441 on: May 17, 2008, 10:50:58 AM »
yes sir you are right though I said I took it from my reference material "the truth about six pack abs" but not from the site. Its nice to know na meron po pala akong kapareho ng interest.
So its the same program Im following now and getting great results thus I thought of sharing it.
I though have the complete e-book which cost more than 40USD. I can share if anybody is interested.

Offline Black_angel

« Reply #442 on: May 17, 2008, 11:56:35 AM »
complex and compound exercise are much better than isolation (influenced by my favorite author Michael D. Geary). Imagine same duration though different amount of enegry consumed but targetting different muscle at the same time. Effective enough if you want to build more muscle and gain more strength.
Kahit dumbbell lang or barbell madami ka ng magagawang complex and compound exercises.

Offline panterica

• Board Moderator
« Reply #443 on: May 19, 2008, 02:49:09 PM »
hey bryan, share naman ng cutting program mo, hehehe, plan ko muna mag-cut for the next couple of months or so, lose beer-belly and stomach fat.

tamad ako magcardio, pero ngayon, dinagdag ko na to sa workout ko, along with lipo6 as fat burner, about 20 mins ang cardio ko (stationary bike).

i'll be working out 3 days a week siguro (MWF) with cardio, tapos 20 minute cardio ng tuesday and wednesday. rest ang saturday and sunday.

just had my leg day this morning, did a lot of squats, hahaha.

Offline kingthomas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #444 on: May 19, 2008, 11:51:27 PM »
mga sir, update ko kayo sa progress ng aking leg raise:

okay naman, nararamdaman ko na yung cut sa lower abdomen ko. hehe.

yun nga lang, mahirap gawin, kasi ang laking part ng katawan ang lini-lift mo. hehe. but still, we gotta do what we gotta do diba?  :-D

sa mga umiinom ng whey protein, pampalaki ito ng katawan diba? gusto ko ma-try yun. paano ba?  :lol: sabi ng kuya ko kelangan daw ng consultation ng doctor bago gamitin yun eh...  :?

Offline soundslikebryan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #445 on: May 20, 2008, 12:36:47 AM »
This was inspired noong nag-MMA training ako dati. For two weeks I don’t use any salt, nor eat any salty foods. I eat 6 times a day though. (recommended to for a long period of time, or in fact eto na dapat ang lifestyle, pero ang hirap gawin). Lahat ng kakainin mo eh planado na for the week. No cheat days either, since two weeks lang naman.

I eat a lot of yoghurt and drink skim milk.

I do a lot of cardio, kasi talagang kelangan yun. Pero if you don’t like cardio, I’ll give you an alternative.

I swim a lot.

Then I drink diuretics. Water pills. Ingat ka lang, kasi it has risks. I do it to myself, since I’m the one who thought about it and I’m risking myself. Then I spend at least an hour sa sauna. Talagang balde balde ng pawis ang tutulo sa yo.

I do a twice a week na three hours sa sauna, sa duration ng cutting program. Its very hard, so kelangan magsama ka ng kaibigan mo, either to keep you inside the sauna, or to encourage you. Hindi nya kelangan sumama sa loob ng sauna.

I recoup by eating a couple slice of watermelon afterwards. Or you can do small shots of water. 1 shot every minute, for 10 minutes. Ma-shock kasi ang system mo pag binigla mo.

You lose your gut fast.

Oh, don’t forget to reach 1000 crunches for the two week duration. Start with 100, then increase it day by day, until sa last day of the two week program, you can do 1000 crunches na. (beware of stomach stitch – you know this right)

Ok, alternative sa cardio. Its superset circuit training. You work the general muscle groups in just 1 hour. Upper and lower body combo.

You can use any exercise, eto lang yung muscle group na target mo.
Important: There are no rest in between sets. 12 reps/4 sets each group

Biceps/Legs
Triceps/Thighs
Back/Quads
Biceps/Legs
Triceps/Thighs
Back/Quads

Use 50-60lb. weights on arms, and 75-85 on legs.

This is really hard and fast. Lets see how you stand.

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #446 on: May 20, 2008, 01:25:56 AM »
Diet's the hard part, from soundslikebryan's recommendation.  I totally agree with the 6 meals a day, keeps your body anabolic with regularly spaced meals.  This is the hard part.  I only got two months of this (with 2 cheat days a week, mind you!), and it really got to my head.  It really makes you cranky.

But it works.  Especially with cardio (treadmill's my staple, I love the run/walk program).  Best shape of my life ever, back then.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline soundslikebryan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #447 on: May 20, 2008, 03:32:49 AM »
Diet's the hard part, from soundslikebryan's recommendation.  I totally agree with the 6 meals a day, keeps your body anabolic with regularly spaced meals.  This is the hard part.  I only got two months of this (with 2 cheat days a week, mind you!), and it really got to my head.  It really makes you cranky.

But it works.  Especially with cardio (treadmill's my staple, I love the run/walk program).  Best shape of my life ever, back then.

ah sinabi mo pa. I'm starting to do this again myself. i stopped working out since Jan. noong naghahanap ako ng haus na malilipatan.

My one technique is, I buy donuts for everyone in the office. i force them to eat it, tapos ako hindi kakain. Makes me feel they're all getting fat and I'm losing weight, hahahahhaha.

Offline panterica

• Board Moderator
« Reply #448 on: May 22, 2008, 11:11:41 AM »
kamusta naman kayo dyan? hehehehe.

been working out for 4 days straight since monday. kaka-adik! siguro i'll take a rest ng saturday at sunday.

Offline m_shadows123

« Reply #449 on: May 22, 2008, 05:16:02 PM »
mga sirs ano magandang /effective na alternative ssa running?

jumping rope po kaya? may swimming na kc ako subj in two weeks.. eh puro chikas classmates ko so i need to lose my saggy belly..

and effective po ba ung staiotionary bike? kc prang sakin nde po eh