hulika

Author Topic: MODS: please bomb this silly topic that was resurrected from the dead...  (Read 24116 times)

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
I can't help but cringe when i think about this "newbie" post... I look back wistfully, and hope that this freaking thing gets locked before it causes a riot...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 10:23:44 PM by psychic_sushi »
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
Tone: Is it in the fingers or the gear?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 02:31:45 AM »
Naku! Mukhang mahabang diskusyon na naman ito.  Oas, you here?  Guys?

Let's get it on!  

Unless pagod na kayo sa topic na ito...  Hehehehe.

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 02:35:02 AM »
Anyway, I have been playing for around 14 years na.  Consistent ang tunog ko kahit anong gamit.  My playing basically sucks kaya walang kwenta kahit ano pa ang gamitin ko.  Hehehehe...   :wink:

Offline markflo

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 02:40:10 AM »
i'd say it's in both...but more on the fingers...

for me, tone has so many factors that it's hard to say that it's ALL in the fingers or it's ALL in the gear...

you can buy hendrix's exact entire rig and not sound even remotely close to his sound.

why?

because of the nuances he applies to his instrument, you can't buy that.

you can, however, learn it...

gear, although not AS important, when it comes to your tone, ALSO plays a BIG factor in it

if you've got really crappy gear...it won't allow you to play your best...broken speakers, old tubes, high action in the guitar, rusty strings, ugly wood that doesn't resonate well...these CAN be uninspiring

on the other hand, you don't need to have the ABSOLUTE top of the line 10 thousand features gear either

there's a sort of quality curve as gears go higher in price range though, and it's a bad habit to purchase based on price (eg the higher the price, the better, even if most of the time it is!).

you'll find that a 500 buck amp is ALOT better than a 40 buck amp...an 800 buck amp is not that much better than the 500 buck amp, and as the price goes higher and higher...the improvements get less and less, you get the point.

moral of the story...buy gear based on your application...nothing more nothing less...buy gear that will allow your "voice", your tone, to come out...sometimes you need all the bells and whistles of high end gear...sometimes you don't, like a blues guy might just wanna plug straight thru a cranked 5 watt single channel class A tube amp...

you're not gonna get better by buying the most expensive equipment...BUT buying really cheap equipment might hinder your own tone to come out and shine...

my 2 cents...

bow...
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Kulas

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 02:43:27 AM »
for me...

tone quality is in the gear... tone character is in the fingers...

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 03:02:46 AM »
Quote from: kulas
for me...

Well said!

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 04:02:18 AM »
It would be easy to say that it would be both, but looking at all that we do, tone comes from the gear.

Just think, we are debating between single-coil and humbuckers, neck vs. bridge pickup, types of wood, string height, floating or fixed tremolo, bolt-on neck vs. thru body. All these things are to achieve a certian tone. And don't get me started about stompboxes and amps.

Les Paul at 90 says he still is looking for the perfect tone.
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Tone: Is it in the fingers or the gear?
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 04:13:04 AM »
Quote from: psychic_sushi
I'm sure that this question (if not asked before) has the potential to cause a riot, since most traditionals claim that:

"it's not WHAT you play through, it's HOW you play through it" (kinda like an anti-GAS statement, eh? Hahahah) I'm sure we've all encountered a monster player who sounds consistent kahit anong gamit na gitara and gear.

But guys, on the other hand, there are those times when you pick up a particular set up that affects your playing, making you do things you never could've conceived of. The tone and feel moves you. I wouldn't consider it "sugar" to coat your bad playing. The thing just feels damn right.

So, what is it? Fingers or the gear?

How much of each?

Where does technique fit in the equation?

Please share your fingers vs. gear experience too ;)

who knows, we may influence a bunch of folks to go on a GAS spree, or end up brainwashing others to keep the moolah in the piggy bank and invest on technique, hahahaha!

Is this like a de javu? Isn't this the $4100.00 amp question? I thought everyone already added their 2 cents in this TONE VS FINGER topic? Well, I guess I'll just lurk around here and see if the same cast join in and make this thread as enjoyable as the last, hehe :lol:

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 04:14:59 AM »
+1 ke MarkFlo...I especially love this part, it aint just 2 cents worth:

Quote from: markflo
you're not gonna get better by buying the most expensive equipment...BUT buying really cheap equipment might hinder your own tone to come out and shine...

my 2 cents...

bow...

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 04:51:14 AM »
Man, if I count all the 2 cents from the previous thread, I think I'd have $50 by now, hehe :lol:

Here's my take. 50/50. Talent would be nicely complemented by a decent, not overly expensive, but decent gear.

Offline sigjoys

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 06:27:12 AM »
mga kapatid... this topic also was discussed here for everyone's reference.

http://www.yupangco.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2272&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://www.yupangco.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2169&start=0

this "hot" topic was also debated noon sa livebands.

check this link also from our very own perf de castro.

http://www.perfdecastro.com/ph-miller.htm

:D
Not unto us, but to YOUR name give all honour.
Ps 115.:1

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 07:03:42 AM »
Quote from: kulas
for me...

ditto on this. like i said in one of those threads, vai with FZ still sounds like vai on his own, but his sound is far from vai on carvin.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 07:07:47 AM »
"Tone is in the fingers"  -- My definition of tone is really timbre and characteristic.

We all sound different because of how we play -- attributed to our physical makeup and style.  How we play I refer to as they way we fret, the way we pick, they way we mute, etc.  And some people can sound better than others on the same equipment.  But... you only have one set of fingers that you cannot change.  You either have to accept you as uniquely sounding and like it or purchase equipment to modify the way you sound and influence your style.

For timbre and other characteristics e.g. guitar sustain, overdrive texture, wah sound, note definition, note clarity, EQ, etc,  its the equipment that counts.  For example, you as an individual will sound better on a Mashall, Fender or Peavey than on a Rage amp.  You as individual will sound better on a Fender USA or Gibson USA than on a Santa Mesa Guitar. So, mayabang lang ang tingin ko sa taong magsasabi na ang Rage amp ay kaya niya patanugin as if gumagamit siya ng Marshall or Fender.  I tingin ko rin sa taong magsasabi na ang Santa Mesa Guitar ay katunog ng Fender or Gibson ay may problema sa budget.  

In closing, I believe that TONE/TIMBRE for me is really more in the mind i.e. the way you want to hear yourself.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2006, 07:12:48 AM »
Quote from: stratman1
Man, if I count all the 2 cents from the previous thread, I think I'd have $50 by now, hehe :lol:

Korek. Enough to buy beer for a lot of people
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2006, 07:23:55 AM »
Quote from: oasgomez
So, mayabang lang ang tingin ko sa taong magsasabi na ang Rage amp ay kaya niya patanugin as if gumagamit siya ng Marshall or Fender.  

onga no, may point ka rito.  

well, anyway, lahat ng sagot nyo korek kasi iba-iba pa rin ang definition natin of what comprises "tone" and what we mean by "fingers" (kasama ba yung player at utak nya dun?)!

so tapos ang kaso. close this thread before it turns nasty. :-)

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2006, 09:54:14 AM »
Quote from: deltaslim

so tapos ang kaso. close this thread before it turns nasty. :-)

+1. done to death. why can't you guys just post more pics of rica peralejo?
We are the authorized Philippines Dealer for the following brands:

www.strymon.net * www.maxonfx.com * www.voodoolab.com * www.godlyke.com * www.neunabertechnology.com * www.mieffects.com * spudmusicmnl@yahoo.com 09165923814

Offline kaloyster

• GOLD MEMBER
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2006, 10:06:43 AM »
It's the fingers (skills). kahit pahawakin mo si Hendrix ng patakbuhing gitara, he'd still play it the way we love it. Endo.
"Bulakenyo"? Then join Bulacan Music Facebook Group!

Offline agentx44

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 10:07:44 AM »
tone is in the player. put a PRS in my hand, plug me into a Marshall stack with 200K worth of effects and my playing would still suck.

OT: dun sa nag-request...

:mrgreen:
soylent green is people.

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 10:18:34 AM »

can i just praise (/kiss the asses) of the people whose tones give me a stiffy?

good one, sir agentman, uh, dude.

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2006, 10:20:44 AM »
its in the ears? dapat wala ka earwax para maganda ang pagkinig mo sa tone, tapos yung sa fingers tingin ko primary yun.. hehe :lol:
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline namida

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2006, 10:47:26 AM »
It's been said before and observed many times. No amount of gear can ever compensate for the lack of real skill, likewise talent will be a bit hard to identify coming from downright incapable equipments. A sort of balance between gear and skill is most desirable although I do favor enhancing my abilities to achieve the sounds that I hear in my head. If hard pressed, I will happily perform with just my tele straight through any amp you throw at me (can I use my klotz cable?).

Thus far, heres what I can call my conclusion as based on my experiences...
Gear is a factor that doesn't grow, if your playing outgrows your gears then I guess thats a good time to look for something better or something else. I always asses my realistic position (my abilities) amidst my desire to acquire gear.
"Ano man ang iyong ginagawa sa iyong kapatid, ay siya ring ginagawa mo sa akin" --Yano

Home Recordings ->> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=480230  My Band ->>

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2006, 11:07:43 AM »
Quote from: agentx44
tone is in the player. put a PRS in my hand, plug me into a Marshall stack with 200K worth of effects and my playing would still suck.

well said. thanks for the pic, btw. made my day.  :lol:
We are the authorized Philippines Dealer for the following brands:

www.strymon.net * www.maxonfx.com * www.voodoolab.com * www.godlyke.com * www.neunabertechnology.com * www.mieffects.com * spudmusicmnl@yahoo.com 09165923814

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2006, 11:13:50 AM »
it's in the fingears
Surf's Up!

Offline Mahineman

Hmmmm....nice topic
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2006, 11:25:07 AM »
I think it works hand in hand.  Kahit si SRV hindi makaka2g2g ng matino if he played with a local guitar from st.mesa with ugly strings thru a crappy amp from raon.  Gear has standards.  Tone basically comes from your gear...but how it's mixed and matched is a different story.  I've tried alot of things na and the best sound I ever got was playing with a Gibson LP thru a Marshall tube amp.  Yun talaga ang killer combo.  Too bad I don't have any of the two.  Basta sakin 50/50.  If you have the chops...it's best backed up with a killer tone!!!!  I also have GAS.  I'm one of those guitarists who just want to try everything I can get my hands on. hehehe.  But gear is useless if you don't know how to use them.  I saw this kid once, 16yrs old, bought a Fender US, a Marshall JCM.  Boosted the amp with a YJM...my jaw dropped as soon as he started playing.  He has the chops and the tone.  Kung panget tunog niya, I would'nt have noticed he was good.  Neither would I have noticed him if he didnt have the skill.  Cge ang daldal ko na.  Basta yun na.
DESTROY!!! DIY Guitar/Bass/Amps/effects Repair and maintenance. 09178742102 www.facebook.com/BLASTERSTUDIO
Endorsements: Xotic effects, Draven Shoes, Superlux Headphones http://www.xotic.us/effects/musicians/index.html?id=413
www.blasterteam.com

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2006, 12:42:18 PM »
for me, tone is acquired not just from playing the right chops, but also from getting the right gear to convey/express EXACTLY what you want to express. compare it to a vocalist switching bands. for example, Steve Perry is perfect for Journey as they have their 80s/glam/power ballad rock thing going but he can never replace James Hetfield as the vocalist of Metallica because Metallica has a different sound. but that doesn't change the fact that Steve Perry is still one heck of a singer. if your playing and equipment can perfectly say what you want musically, then you've got tone :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20